| | Another possible solution
Hi. New to the forum so I will not come here claiming to know it all. I've had a flawlessly working netwok at home using three different D-Link routers until I bought an IBM-T41 off ebay with an internal Atheros a/b/g card and set the wireless connection up as I had always done with the T23s that I have worked with for the past two years with no problem. At this point, it gave me the dreaded "Aquiring Netork Address" message and would (or would not) connect, but with limited or no connectivity. Also, I bought another T41 with a Cisco internal card that gave me the same message so I ruled out the internal card as the problem. Another thing that happened was that the T23 I used to be able to connect with originally would give me the same message. Again, I never had this problem before. At first I though it was a Windows XP setting, but after tweaking XP and (to no end) the router, I found that disabling the DHCP 'Always broadcast' setting on the router cured the problem.
One thing I suspect is that the T41s I bought both have Norton Antivirus loaded on them. I didn't try removing the software so I cannot say that it is the problem, but it could be. I did try to disable them and try to connect, but it did not work. I've read online where it can cause other problems such as this but everything seems to working good now, so I'm sticking with setting the 'Always broadcast' off for now.
Hope someone else can verify that this may work for them.
Last edited by IBM-Laptops; 03-03-2009 at 02:28 AM..