Go Back   Wireless and Wifi Forums > Cellular Communications > US Networks > alt.cellular.attws
Register FAQ Forum Rules Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Advertise Mark Forums Read

 
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 01-25-2009, 04:24 PM
me@privacy.net
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Can T Mobile sim card be used in ATT phone and vice versa?

Since T Mobile and ATT are both GSM based isn't it
possible to use phones and SIM cards between BOTH
systems?

Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 01-25-2009, 08:35 PM
Ron
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Can T Mobile sim card be used in ATT phone and vice versa?

On Sun, 25 Jan 2009 11:24:52 -0600, me@privacy.net wrote:

>Since T Mobile and ATT are both GSM based isn't it
>possible to use phones and SIM cards between BOTH
>systems?


Only if the phone in question is "unlocked" allowing such.

Neither T-Mobile nor ATT currently sell unlocked phones, but will
unlock phones at the end of a contract.

Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 01-25-2009, 11:59 PM
me@privacy.net
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Can T Mobile sim card be used in ATT phone and vice versa?

Ron <ron.clifford@peoplepc.com> wrote:

>Only if the phone in question is "unlocked" allowing such.
>
>Neither T-Mobile nor ATT currently sell unlocked phones, but will
>unlock phones at the end of a contract.


I see


Any way to unlock them yourself?

Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 01-26-2009, 12:01 AM
Todd Allcock
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Can T Mobile sim card be used in ATT phone and vice versa?

At 25 Jan 2009 15:35:02 -0600 Ron wrote:

> >Since T Mobile and ATT are both GSM based isn't it
> >possible to use phones and SIM cards between BOTH
> >systems?

>
> Only if the phone in question is "unlocked" allowing such.
>
> Neither T-Mobile nor ATT currently sell unlocked phones, but will
> unlock phones at the end of a contract.



They'll both actually do it 90 days, as long as you're a customer in good
standing.

Unless it's an iPhone, then AT&T's answer is simply"no."



Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 01-26-2009, 12:10 AM
News
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Can T Mobile sim card be used in ATT phone and vice versa?



me@privacy.net wrote:
> Ron <ron.clifford@peoplepc.com> wrote:
>
>> Only if the phone in question is "unlocked" allowing such.
>>
>> Neither T-Mobile nor ATT currently sell unlocked phones, but will
>> unlock phones at the end of a contract.

>
> I see
>
>
> Any way to unlock them yourself?



Yes, OR, buy an unlocked phone and use the service you choose.

Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 01-26-2009, 02:01 AM
me@privacy.net
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Can T Mobile sim card be used in ATT phone and vice versa?

News <News@Group.name> wrote:

>> Any way to unlock them yourself?

>
>
>Yes, OR, buy an unlocked phone and use the service you choose.


OK but appears that ATT wont let me have a monthly pay
plan even if I provide my own phone, correct?

Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 01-26-2009, 03:45 AM
Todd Allcock
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Can T Mobile sim card be used in ATT phone and vice versa?

At 25 Jan 2009 18:59:52 -0600 me@privacy.net wrote:

> >Only if the phone in question is "unlocked" allowing such.
> >
> >Neither T-Mobile nor ATT currently sell unlocked phones, but will
> >unlock phones at the end of a contract.

>
> I see
>
>
> Any way to unlock them yourself?


Sure, depending on your cost-tolerance.

Just Google "unlock <insert make/model of phone>" and see just how many
people will trade you an unlock code for $20-$30 of your hard-earned
money! ;-)


Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 01-26-2009, 03:49 AM
Todd Allcock
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Can T Mobile sim card be used in ATT phone and vice versa?

At 25 Jan 2009 21:01:29 -0600 me@privacy.net wrote:

> OK but appears that ATT wont let me have a monthly pay
> plan even if I provide my own phone, correct?



Why wouldn't AT&T let you have a plan? If your credit rating is poor or
non-existant they might ask for a large deposit, but that isn't really
"not letting you" as much as "discouraging you."

To avoid that you could use AT&T's GoPhone "Pick Your Plan" (sort of a
hybrid of prepaid and monthly plans.)



Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 01-26-2009, 05:11 AM
Dennis Ferguson
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Can T Mobile sim card be used in ATT phone and vice versa?

On 2009-01-26, me@privacy.net <me@privacy.net> wrote:
> News <News@Group.name> wrote:
>
>>> Any way to unlock them yourself?

>>
>>
>>Yes, OR, buy an unlocked phone and use the service you choose.

>
> OK but appears that ATT wont let me have a monthly pay
> plan even if I provide my own phone, correct?


AT&T will generally love to sell you a paid monthly plan as long
as your credit isn't too bad. If you mean a monthly plan without
a contract, however, I have seen press reports quoting AT&T as saying
they'll sell service without a contract if you bring your own phone
but I've never found an AT&T store where they'll admit this is a
possibility (perhaps the guys in stores get paid for selling contracts)
so you might have to do some work to convince someone to sell to you
if you want to be free of a contract.

Dennis Ferguson

Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 01-26-2009, 08:44 AM
News
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Can T Mobile sim card be used in ATT phone and vice versa?



me@privacy.net wrote:
> News <News@Group.name> wrote:
>
>>> Any way to unlock them yourself?

>>
>> Yes, OR, buy an unlocked phone and use the service you choose.

>
> OK but appears that ATT wont let me have a monthly pay
> plan even if I provide my own phone, correct?




News to me. That's what I'm on.

Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old 01-26-2009, 03:41 PM
me@privacy.net
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Can T Mobile sim card be used in ATT phone and vice versa?

Dennis Ferguson <dcferguson@pacbell.net> wrote:

> If you mean a monthly plan without
>a contract, however, I have seen press reports quoting AT&T as saying
>they'll sell service without a contract if you bring your own phone
>but I've never found an AT&T store where they'll admit this is a
>possibility (perhaps the guys in stores get paid for selling contracts)
>so you might have to do some work to convince someone to sell to you
>if you want to be free of a contract.


Yes I'm sorry that it was I mean..... I didn't word it
right in last post

I already have a SIM based GSM phone but when I asked
local ATT rep if I can get a monthly plan and NOT get
bogged down in contract the answer was no

Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old 01-26-2009, 05:11 PM
Mellowed
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Can T Mobile sim card be used in ATT phone and vice versa?

Ron wrote:
> On Sun, 25 Jan 2009 11:24:52 -0600, me@privacy.net wrote:
>
>> Since T Mobile and ATT are both GSM based isn't it
>> possible to use phones and SIM cards between BOTH
>> systems?

>
> Only if the phone in question is "unlocked" allowing such.
>
> Neither T-Mobile nor ATT currently sell unlocked phones, but will
> unlock phones at the end of a contract.

ATT unlocked my phone 2 months into a contract when going to China. I
put in a China Mobile GSM card while there and it worked perfectly. I
just told them I was going to China and they emailed me the code with
instructions.



Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old 01-26-2009, 08:17 PM
DevilsPGD
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Can T Mobile sim card be used in ATT phone and vice versa?

In message <qrprn45209o8u88ch1f3kp9cug06cbovlh@4ax.com> me@privacy.net
was claimed to have wrote:

>Dennis Ferguson <dcferguson@pacbell.net> wrote:
>
>> If you mean a monthly plan without
>>a contract, however, I have seen press reports quoting AT&T as saying
>>they'll sell service without a contract if you bring your own phone
>>but I've never found an AT&T store where they'll admit this is a
>>possibility (perhaps the guys in stores get paid for selling contracts)
>>so you might have to do some work to convince someone to sell to you
>>if you want to be free of a contract.

>
>Yes I'm sorry that it was I mean..... I didn't word it
>right in last post
>
>I already have a SIM based GSM phone but when I asked
>local ATT rep if I can get a monthly plan and NOT get
>bogged down in contract the answer was no


Go for the most expensive free phone you can get, and/or see if it's
worth paying a bit for an even more expensive phone. Sign the contract,
sell the phone and put the cash in a "In case I need to cancel the two
year contract" fund.

If you end up sticking out the two years, you buy your
wife/girlfriend/husband/boyfriend/kid/cat/self an expensive dinner. If
not, you pay AT&T the money and aren't any worse off.

Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old 01-26-2009, 08:40 PM
me@privacy.net
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Can T Mobile sim card be used in ATT phone and vice versa?

DevilsPGD <DeathToSpam@crazyhat.net>
wrote:

>Go for the most expensive free phone you can get, and/or see if it's
>worth paying a bit for an even more expensive phone. Sign the contract,
>sell the phone and put the cash in a "In case I need to cancel the two
>year contract" fund.


Excellent!

Thank you!!

Reply With Quote
Reply


« FAQ for AT&T Mobility (Cingular Wireless) | since President Obama loves his BlackBerry... »
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
iPhone flops in Japan! Mark Crispin alt.cellular.attws 11 09-26-2008 11:48 AM
The Japanese iPhone Failure Myth was Re: iPhone flops in Japan! iPhone 3Gold alt.cellular.cingular 0 09-26-2008 11:48 AM
Are there 3G phones that will work on NextG or vice versa? Marts aus.comms.mobile 18 02-13-2008 12:18 AM
VOIP to MSN and vice versa Al uk.telecom.voip 2 03-10-2007 10:18 PM


All times are GMT. The time now is 03:04 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45