Go Back   Wireless and Wifi Forums > Cellular Communications > US Networks > alt.cellular.attws
Register FAQ Forum Rules Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Advertise Mark Forums Read

 
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #151 (permalink)  
Old 08-26-2011, 04:07 PM
jcdill
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: AT&T Minimum Texting Plan Price Quadruples in One Year

On 24/08/11 6:53 PM, SMS wrote:

> Well I don't know many besides myself, but it's definitely more than
> one. With Google Voice being more widely deployed it's increasing. The
> thing is you don't really know if it's a VOIP number you've been given
> since there is nothing that would indicate it. So "how many people do
> you know?" is really not the right question to ask.


If it's someone you "know", you would know either because they talk with
you about it, or you find the same number sometimes ringing thru to
their home, sometimes ringing thru to their office, sometimes reaching
them on their cell phone, etc. and you can tell (by the call quality)
that you aren't just reaching them on their cell phone at 3 different
locations.

jc

Reply With Quote
  #152 (permalink)  
Old 08-26-2011, 04:49 PM
SMS
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: AT&T Minimum Texting Plan Price Quadruples in One Year

On 8/26/2011 9:07 AM, jcdill wrote:
> On 24/08/11 6:53 PM, SMS wrote:
>
>> Well I don't know many besides myself, but it's definitely more than
>> one. With Google Voice being more widely deployed it's increasing. The
>> thing is you don't really know if it's a VOIP number you've been given
>> since there is nothing that would indicate it. So "how many people do
>> you know?" is really not the right question to ask.

>
> If it's someone you "know", you would know either because they talk with
> you about it, or you find the same number sometimes ringing thru to
> their home, sometimes ringing thru to their office, sometimes reaching
> them on their cell phone, etc. and you can tell (by the call quality)
> that you aren't just reaching them on their cell phone at 3 different
> locations.


That's the problem, the call quality is indistinguishable from the call
quality on a normal land line or cell phone. But to be fair, I probably
have never been on a VOIP to VOIP call, it's cell to VOIP or landline to
VOIP.


Reply With Quote
  #153 (permalink)  
Old 08-26-2011, 07:10 PM
Rod Speed
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: AT&T Minimum Texting Plan Price Quadruples in One Year

jcdill wrote
> tycho wrote
>> jcdill<jcdill.lists@gmail.com> wrote
>>> Steve Sobol wrote


>>>>> Besides yourself, how many people do you know who give out a VOIP
>>>>> number as the primary number for others to call to reach them?


>>>> I do.


>>> *besides yourself*, how many....?


>> One more here... :-P


> *besides yourself*, how many....?


> Many of the people in this newsgroup might use a VOIP number as their
> only phone number, but that's because (in most cases) you are an early
> adopter of things like this. But *besides yourself*, how many people
> do you know (not just know thru this NG, but know IRL) who do it?


More than a dozen.



Reply With Quote
  #154 (permalink)  
Old 08-26-2011, 07:13 PM
Rod Speed
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: AT&T Minimum Texting Plan Price Quadruples in One Year

SMS wrote:
> jcdill wrote
>> SMS wrote


>>> Well I don't know many besides myself, but it's definitely more than
>>> one. With Google Voice being more widely deployed it's increasing.
>>> The thing is you don't really know if it's a VOIP number you've
>>> been given since there is nothing that would indicate it. So "how
>>> many people do you know?" is really not the right question to ask.


>> If it's someone you "know", you would know either because they talk with you about it, or you find the same number
>> sometimes ringing thru to their home, sometimes ringing thru to their office,
>> sometimes reaching them on their cell phone, etc. and you can tell (by the call quality) that you aren't just
>> reaching them on their
>> cell phone at 3 different locations.


> That's the problem, the call quality is indistinguishable from the
> call quality on a normal land line or cell phone. But to be fair, I
> probably have never been on a VOIP to VOIP call,


I have been, lots of times, essentially because calls between
customers on my VSPs are free.

> it's cell to VOIP or landline to VOIP.




Reply With Quote
Reply


« FREE upgrade to U300 for 3 months? | Long Lines at HP's Web OS Store to buy Veer, Pixie, Pixie Plus »
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT. The time now is 11:59 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45