Go Back   Wireless and Wifi Forums > Cellular Communications > US Networks > alt.cellular.cingular
Register FAQ Forum Rules Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Advertise Mark Forums Read

 
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 03-08-2008, 08:41 AM
4phun
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Dallasnews: Apple bites into handheld gaming

Apple bites into handheld gaming

12:00 AM CST on Saturday, March 8, 2008
vgodinez@dallasnews.com

Is Apple finally getting serious about games?

Could be.

When Apple unveiled its platform for letting outside developers create
software for the iPhone and iPod Touch this week, some of the first
programs shown were games from Electronic Arts and Sega.

And more game developers seem likely to hop on the Apple cart, since
the iPhone and its cousin the iPod Touch are both tremendously popular
and fairly powerful mobile computers.

What's really cool is that the games won't be sold on traditional
cartridges or discs, but will be available solely as downloadable
files.

Even better, you'll be able to purchase and download the titles
wirelessly at any Wi-Fi hot spot without connecting your iPhone or
Touch to a computer.

While gamers have clamored for years for portable-game makers to
embrace the concept of wireless downloads, both Sony and Nintendo have
been reluctant to relinquish their grip on physical media.

With downloadable titles, you don't have to worry about losing or
scratching your games, you can play any game in your library without
having to swap cartridges or discs, and games stored on a hard drive
generally load faster than software that has to be accessed from
removable media.

At this point, though, I think Apple's foray into games is more of a
threat to Sony than to Nintendo.

Sony's slick, powerful and expensive PSP is designed to appeal to the
same high-end gadget shopper who's also likely to crave the iPhone. If
my iPhone can play top-notch games and make phone calls, what reason
is there to own a PSP?

On the other hand, while the Nintendo DS and the iPhone both use touch-
screen technology, the DS is far more of a pure entertainment device
targeted at younger buyers with less money to burn.

Sure, most 10-year-olds would probably love to have a $400-plus
iPhone, but parental indulgence goes only so far.

A $130 DS Lite is simply competing for a different buyer.

Granted, a PSP isn't that much pricier at $170, but there's no denying
that the machine is designed to appeal to older gamers, since the PSP
is also capable of playing music and movies, hopping onto the Web, and
connecting to your home network.

Now, Apple hasn't yet made clear how vigorously it plans to market the
iPhone as a game platform. In some ways, though, it doesn't matter.

If enough outside developers flock to the iPhone and iPod Touch as
game platforms and start releasing cool, exclusive titles for the
devices, gamers will follow.

When the CEO of Electronic Arts gets onstage with Steve Jobs and
trumpets the fact that his company is working on an iPhone version of
Spore, one of the most anticipated games of all time, well, it's hard
not to wonder if the handheld game industry is about to get a lot more
interesting.

Victor Godinez covers technology for The Dallas Morning News. Read
more of his video-game coverage at punchbutton.beloblog .com.

Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 03-08-2008, 12:04 PM
Larry
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Dallasnews: Apple bites into handheld gaming

4phun <vic.healey@gmail.com> wrote in news:21c64f83-2834-40c0-a997-
14e16f422a78@b1g2000hsg.googlegroups.com:

> Spore, one of the most anticipated games of all time,


Spore? Games of all times?

I wonder how many newspaper pages Apple had to buy to force him to say
THAT?!....(c;

God that IS funny, though...(c;


Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 03-08-2008, 03:56 PM
Kevin Weaver
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Dallasnews: Apple bites into handheld gaming

"Larry" <noone@home.com> wrote in message
news:Xns9A5B5524DF11Cnoonehomecom@208.49.80.253...
> 4phun <vic.healey@gmail.com> wrote in news:21c64f83-2834-40c0-a997-
> 14e16f422a78@b1g2000hsg.googlegroups.com:
>
>> Spore, one of the most anticipated games of all time,

>
> Spore? Games of all times?
>
> I wonder how many newspaper pages Apple had to buy to force him to say
> THAT?!....(c;
>
> God that IS funny, though...(c;
>


I never heard of spore till I watched it.

Some are saying that the 2.0 is a new phone. It should be called a firmware
update not a new phone as some are saying.

Call it what you will. A phone with a battery life that sucks and won't last
thru a day of use. Now add push mail to it and it's going to last even less.
When they offer a user replaced battery, (One you can change) Then I may buy
one. Almost every phone has a battery door. So all this is just apple
getting more into your pocket.


Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 03-08-2008, 05:10 PM
Tinman
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Dallasnews: Apple bites into handheld gaming

Kevin Weaver wrote:
>
> Call it what you will. A phone with a battery life that sucks and
> won't last thru a day of use.


Zero credibility.

My iPhone lasts much longer than my last smartphone, and that is with
Bluetooth and WiFi on 24/7. And my last smartphone didn't even have WiFi.

But keep on hating it. People like you need something to hate, obviously.


--
Mike



Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 03-08-2008, 05:41 PM
Larry
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Dallasnews: Apple bites into handheld gaming

"Kevin Weaver" <kevinkeithweaver@sbcglobal.net> wrote in newsyzAj.16398
$Ch6.13064@newssvr11.news.prodigy.net:

> So all this is just apple
> getting more into your pocket.
>


....or OUT of your pocket, depending on your viewpoint...(c;


Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 03-08-2008, 05:44 PM
Larry
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Dallasnews: Apple bites into handheld gaming

"Tinman" <ask@for.it> wrote in news:63g32lF27lphlU1@mid.individual.net:

> But keep on hating it. People like you need something to hate, obviously.
>
>


WE don't "hate it". We merely point out its omissions, design flaws, and
objectives, a WebTV device that acts like a Box Office in your pocket.


Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 03-08-2008, 05:52 PM
News
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Dallasnews: Apple bites into handheld gaming



Larry wrote:
> "Tinman" <ask@for.it> wrote in news:63g32lF27lphlU1@mid.individual.net:
>
>
>>But keep on hating it. People like you need something to hate, obviously.
>>
>>

>
>
> WE don't "hate it". We merely point out its omissions, design flaws, and
> objectives, a WebTV device that acts like a Box Office in your pocket.
>


Issues that a fanboi might be blind to... for example.

Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 03-08-2008, 05:58 PM
Kevin Weaver
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Dallasnews: Apple bites into handheld gaming

"Tinman" <ask@for.it> wrote in message
news:63g32lF27lphlU1@mid.individual.net...
> Kevin Weaver wrote:
>>
>> Call it what you will. A phone with a battery life that sucks and
>> won't last thru a day of use.

>
> Zero credibility.
>
> My iPhone lasts much longer than my last smartphone, and that is with
> Bluetooth and WiFi on 24/7. And my last smartphone didn't even have WiFi.
>
> But keep on hating it. People like you need something to hate, obviously.
>
>
> --
> Mike
>
>


Sure. My friend works at a apple store. He see's it everyday. I've gone
there to have lunch with him and he showed me over 50 of them waiting to be
returned. When they ask why there returning them over half is battery life.



Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 03-08-2008, 07:25 PM
Anybody
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Dallasnews: Apple bites into handheld gaming

In article <Xns9A5B5524DF11Cnoonehomecom@208.49.80.253>, Larry
<noone@home.com> wrote:

> 4phun <vic.healey@gmail.com> wrote in news:21c64f83-2834-40c0-a997-
> 14e16f422a78@b1g2000hsg.googlegroups.com:
>
> > Spore, one of the most anticipated games of all time,

>
> Spore? Games of all times?
>
> I wonder how many newspaper pages Apple had to buy to force him to say
> THAT?!....(c;
>
> God that IS funny, though...(c;


Spore?? Nope.
Now Lego Indiana Jones on the other hand ... ;-)

Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 03-08-2008, 07:50 PM
Larry
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Dallasnews: Apple bites into handheld gaming

Anybody <anybody@anywhere-anytime.com> wrote in news:090320080925184566%
anybody@anywhere-anytime.com:

> Spore?? Nope.
> Now Lego Indiana Jones on the other hand ... ;-)
>
>


Wish they'd make 'em a little dumber so the old farts can win a little more
often:
http://maemo.org/downloads/product/OS2007/scummvm/

Scumm's virtual machine on the N800 is great! We even have BUTTONS to play
the games with!
http://pupnik.de/xkbd.html
This German has a great virtual keyboard for them, too....



Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old 03-08-2008, 08:04 PM
Todd Allcock
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Dallasnews: Apple bites into handheld gaming



"Kevin Weaver" <kevinkeithweaver@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
news:4lBAj.16407$Ch6.8500@newssvr11.news.prodigy.n et...

> "Tinman" <ask@for.it> wrote in message


>> Zero credibility.
>>
>> My iPhone lasts much longer than my last smartphone, and that is with
>> Bluetooth and WiFi on 24/7. And my last smartphone didn't even have WiFi.
>>
>> But keep on hating it. People like you need something to hate, obviously.


> Sure. My friend works at a apple store. He see's it everyday. I've gone
> there to have lunch with him and he showed me over 50 of them waiting to
> be returned. When they ask why there returning them over half is battery
> life.


Strangely enough, I believe both of you! ;-)

I think the disconnect is in customer expectation. To folks (like Tinman
and I, perhaps) who have used a variety of Smartphones with traditionally
crappy battery life, an iPhone lasting 24-48 hours on a charge becomes an
amazing feat- even a mythical one if the WiFi's left on! My current WinMo
phone running BT and Exchange Push constantly, but WiFi off (unless I'm
surfing the web or streaming), gets 12-18 hours under normal use (an two+
hours a day of e-mailing, surfing, Usenet, and/or calling) maybe 24 hours if
I'm too busy to use it as a PDA that day. (At 11:00pm last night I was down
to 30% of battery life.)

But, I doubt most iPhone owners are prior smartphone users. I suspect most
are first-time PDA/MP3 phone customers, and they're used to getting a week
of standby from their RAZRs or Nokia candybars, so a phone that needs
charging nightly is horrific to them. I suspect those returning an iPhone
over battery issues would've returned a Treo, a Q, or a Tilt just as
quickly.







Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old 03-08-2008, 08:27 PM
Tinman
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Dallasnews: Apple bites into handheld gaming

Kevin Weaver wrote:
> Sure. My friend works at a apple store. He see's it everyday. I've
> gone there to have lunch with him and he showed me over 50 of them
> waiting to be returned. When they ask why there returning them over
> half is battery life.


Yea, "your friend," fourth-hand, etc., etc.

Like I said, zero credibility.


--
Mike



Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old 03-08-2008, 08:30 PM
Tinman
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Dallasnews: Apple bites into handheld gaming

Larry wrote:
>
>> But keep on hating it. People like you need something to hate,
>> obviously.
>>
>>

>
> WE don't "hate it".


What's this "we" ****? You weren't in that group. Your opinion means so
little it's irrelevant.

Go back to ogling the toothless wonders at Waffle House... I'm sure you're a
big man over there. <chuckle>



--
Mike



Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old 03-08-2008, 08:34 PM
Tinman
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Dallasnews: Apple bites into handheld gaming

News wrote:
> Larry wrote:
>>
>> WE don't "hate it". We merely point out its omissions, design
>> flaws, and objectives, a WebTV device that acts like a Box Office in
>> your pocket.

>
> Issues that a fanboi might be blind to... for example.


Pooh, the "fanboi" card. So hip.

I love watching you idiots get yer panties in a twist over a device you
neither own nor know anything about. Too funny...



--
Mike







Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old 03-08-2008, 08:44 PM
News
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Dallasnews: Apple bites into handheld gaming



Tinman wrote:

> News wrote:
>
>>Larry wrote:
>>
>>>WE don't "hate it". We merely point out its omissions, design
>>>flaws, and objectives, a WebTV device that acts like a Box Office in
>>>your pocket.

>>
>>Issues that a fanboi might be blind to... for example.

>
>
> Pooh, the "fanboi" card. So hip.
>
> I love watching you idiots get yer panties in a twist over a device you
> neither own nor know anything about. Too funny...
>


Pooh, yourself. Fashion victims are too hip. In their own minds...

I've used one, and it pales in comparison to the two year old PocketPC
GPS GSM phone I continue to use; no, I wouldn't own one.

Reply With Quote
  #16 (permalink)  
Old 03-08-2008, 08:53 PM
Tinman
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Dallasnews: Apple bites into handheld gaming

Todd Allcock wrote:
>
>> Sure. My friend works at a apple store. He see's it everyday. I've
>> gone there to have lunch with him and he showed me over 50 of them
>> waiting to be returned. When they ask why there returning them over
>> half is battery life.

>
> Strangely enough, I believe both of you! ;-)
>


Don't be that naive, Todd. He only has his (make-believe?) "friend." Never
any actual proof. Even Navas ain't that bad. He said, and I quote, "A phone
with a battery life that sucks and won't last thru a day of use." That
statement is ********. I am a very heavy user and have no problem making it
through a day--and not down to 10% either.

Visit any iPhone forum--say everythingicafe.com--and see how many people are
*****ing about battery life. Very, very little--unless it's a true defect.
Those kinds of forums breed complaints more than praise, so they should be
overflowing with battery complaints (people don't pop in to say, "everything
was peachy today!"). And give folks more credit: they don't need to have
owned a smartphone before understand that they actually use the iPhone a
heck of a lot more than their prior phone. That said most of the iPhone
users I know did in fact have a smartphone previously, usually more than
one.

Better yet next time you are by an Apple store see how many iPhones are
being returned. Feel free to ask around. If you really feel gutsy ask about
the Beaver's claim... if you don't mind getting laughed outta the store. <g>


--
Mike



Reply With Quote
  #17 (permalink)  
Old 03-08-2008, 10:09 PM
Todd Allcock
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Dallasnews: Apple bites into handheld gaming



"Tinman" <ask@for.it> wrote in message
news:63gg5eF2770ltU1@mid.individual.net...

>>> Sure. My friend works at a apple store. He see's it everyday. I've
>>> gone there to have lunch with him and he showed me over 50 of them
>>> waiting to be returned. When they ask why there returning them over
>>> half is battery life.

>>
>> Strangely enough, I believe both of you! ;-)
>>

>
> Don't be that naive, Todd. He only has his (make-believe?) "friend." Never
> any actual proof. Even Navas ain't that bad. He said, and I quote, "A
> phone with a battery life that sucks and won't last thru a day of use."
> That statement is ********. I am a very heavy user and have no problem
> making it through a day--and not down to 10% either.


I really meant I believe his point about battery life- not the actual
(ridiculous) numbers he throws around. I'm giving him "poetic license" to
exaggerate as to the figures.

His alleged imaginary circle of friends also includes AT&T store employees
as well, IIRC. He's apparently in a unique position to get supporting info
for his claims from both Apple and AT&T stores! ;-)


> Visit any iPhone forum--say everythingicafe.com--and see how many people
> are *****ing about battery life. Very, very little--unless it's a true
> defect. Those kinds of forums breed complaints more than praise, so they
> should be overflowing with battery complaints (people don't pop in to say,
> "everything was peachy today!"). And give folks more credit: they don't
> need to have owned a smartphone before understand that they actually use
> the iPhone a heck of a lot more than their prior phone. That said most of
> the iPhone users I know did in fact have a smartphone previously, usually
> more than one.



I'm just making the point that user expectations vary- my wife, for example
is on her first Smartphone (a T-Mobile Dash WinMo phone.) While she loves
it, the first few months were rough- she was never a heavy phone user, and
constantly forgot to charge the damn thing because she came from phones that
you charged every weekend whether it needed it or not! I, on the other
hand, go back to analog "brick" handhelds that you not only charged every
night, but often "freshened up" over your lunch hour to be sure it made it
to the end of the day!


> Better yet next time you are by an Apple store see how many iPhones are
> being returned. Feel free to ask around. If you really feel gutsy ask
> about the Beaver's claim... if you don't mind getting laughed outta the
> store. <g>


I don't have to- the numbers speak for themselves- the satisfaction surveys
for the iPhone are higher than any phone ever surveyed. I wasn't agreeing
that massive numbers of iPhones are being returned; just that both battery
claims of the iPhone- stellar and poor, are probably valid, based on prior
experience and expectations.







Reply With Quote
  #18 (permalink)  
Old 03-08-2008, 11:26 PM
Kevin Weaver
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Dallasnews: Apple bites into handheld gaming

"Tinman" <ask@for.it> wrote in message
news:63gg5eF2770ltU1@mid.individual.net...
> Todd Allcock wrote:
>>
>>> Sure. My friend works at a apple store. He see's it everyday. I've
>>> gone there to have lunch with him and he showed me over 50 of them
>>> waiting to be returned. When they ask why there returning them over
>>> half is battery life.

>>
>> Strangely enough, I believe both of you! ;-)
>>

>
> Don't be that naive, Todd. He only has his (make-believe?) "friend." Never
> any actual proof. Even Navas ain't that bad. He said, and I quote, "A
> phone with a battery life that sucks and won't last thru a day of use."
> That statement is ********. I am a very heavy user and have no problem
> making it through a day--and not down to 10% either.
>
> Visit any iPhone forum--say everythingicafe.com--and see how many people
> are *****ing about battery life. Very, very little--unless it's a true
> defect. Those kinds of forums breed complaints more than praise, so they
> should be overflowing with battery complaints (people don't pop in to say,
> "everything was peachy today!"). And give folks more credit: they don't
> need to have owned a smartphone before understand that they actually use
> the iPhone a heck of a lot more than their prior phone. That said most of
> the iPhone users I know did in fact have a smartphone previously, usually
> more than one.
>
> Better yet next time you are by an Apple store see how many iPhones are
> being returned. Feel free to ask around. If you really feel gutsy ask
> about the Beaver's claim... if you don't mind getting laughed outta the
> store. <g>
>
>
> --
> Mike
>


Google battery life on the iPhone. What do you see ? People are saying the
same thing. Battery life sucks.

So there all wrong as well ? Only a few have said the battery life is great.
Then again if the device is something you love, you kind of look at it with
closed eyes.

I've used one for a week. Fully charged before going to bed. Not checking
anything thru the web. During the day the phone calls mins were a total of
about 30 mins.I had it set to check email every 30 mins. Battery was warning
20% left 10 hours later.
Bluetooth was used for the 30 min's of calling. But was turned off after.


Reply With Quote
  #19 (permalink)  
Old 03-09-2008, 12:09 AM
Larry
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Dallasnews: Apple bites into handheld gaming

"Tinman" <ask@for.it> wrote in news:63gg5eF2770ltU1@mid.individual.net:

> everythingicafe.com


Too funny! Even the forum site has a STORE! sell, Sell, SELL!!

Buy Buy BUY!!

Do you really think a forum RUN BY AN IPHONE STORE is gonna let me post
about how it sucks?!

NOT!

http://store.everythingicafe.com/

Sell me sumthin'! I got cash to BURN!!


Reply With Quote
  #20 (permalink)  
Old 03-09-2008, 12:44 AM
Tinman
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Dallasnews: Apple bites into handheld gaming

Larry wrote:
> "Tinman":
>
>> everythingicafe.com

>
> Too funny! Even the forum site has a STORE! sell, Sell, SELL!!
>
> Buy Buy BUY!!
>
> Do you really think a forum RUN BY AN IPHONE STORE is gonna let me
> post about how it sucks?!
>
> NOT!


Your paranoid delusions aside, yes.


>
> http://store.everythingicafe.com/
>
> Sell me sumthin'! I got cash to BURN!!


No you don't. No one who eats at Waffle House does.



--
Mike



Reply With Quote
  #21 (permalink)  
Old 03-09-2008, 12:51 AM
George Kerby
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Dallasnews: Apple bites into handheld gaming




On 3/8/08 10:56 AM, in article
DyzAj.16398$Ch6.13064@newssvr11.news.prodigy.net, "Kevin Weaver"
<kevinkeithweaver@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> "Larry" <noone@home.com> wrote in message
> news:Xns9A5B5524DF11Cnoonehomecom@208.49.80.253...
>> 4phun <vic.healey@gmail.com> wrote in news:21c64f83-2834-40c0-a997-
>> 14e16f422a78@b1g2000hsg.googlegroups.com:
>>
>>> Spore, one of the most anticipated games of all time,

>>
>> Spore? Games of all times?
>>
>> I wonder how many newspaper pages Apple had to buy to force him to say
>> THAT?!....(c;
>>
>> God that IS funny, though...(c;
>>

>
> Call it what you will. A phone with a battery life that sucks and won't last
> thru a day of use.

You really are showing your lack of knowledge here. Run along, and don't
come back until you have facts, OK?


Reply With Quote
  #22 (permalink)  
Old 03-09-2008, 12:52 AM
George Kerby
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Dallasnews: Apple bites into handheld gaming




On 3/8/08 12:44 PM, in article Xns9A5B8CAC2DCB9noonehomecom@208.49.80.253,
"Larry" <noone@home.com> wrote:

> "Tinman" <ask@for.it> wrote in news:63g32lF27lphlU1@mid.individual.net:
>
>> But keep on hating it. People like you need something to hate, obviously.
>>
>>

>
> WE don't "hate it". We merely point out its omissions, design flaws, and
> objectives, a WebTV device that acts like a Box Office in your pocket.
>

Another dweeb spews ********.


Reply With Quote
  #23 (permalink)  
Old 03-09-2008, 12:53 AM
George Kerby
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Dallasnews: Apple bites into handheld gaming




On 3/8/08 12:52 PM, in article
oOydnYq3bq7hfU_anZ2dnUVZ_r3inZ2d@speakeasy.net, "News" <News@Group.name>
wrote:

>
>
> Larry wrote:
>> "Tinman" <ask@for.it> wrote in news:63g32lF27lphlU1@mid.individual.net:
>>
>>
>>> But keep on hating it. People like you need something to hate, obviously.
>>>
>>>

>>
>>
>> WE don't "hate it". We merely point out its omissions, design flaws, and
>> objectives, a WebTV device that acts like a Box Office in your pocket.
>>

>
> Issues that a fanboi might be blind to... for example.

A 'hateboi' observation, no less...


Reply With Quote
  #24 (permalink)  
Old 03-09-2008, 12:58 AM
George Kerby
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Dallasnews: Apple bites into handheld gaming




On 3/8/08 3:34 PM, in article 63gf16F27ffq8U1@mid.individual.net, "Tinman"
<ask@for.it> wrote:

> News wrote:
>> Larry wrote:
>>>
>>> WE don't "hate it". We merely point out its omissions, design
>>> flaws, and objectives, a WebTV device that acts like a Box Office in
>>> your pocket.

>>
>> Issues that a fanboi might be blind to... for example.

>
> Pooh, the "fanboi" card. So hip.
>
> I love watching you idiots get yer panties in a twist over a device you
> neither own nor know anything about. Too funny...
>
>

It's just that they don't have anything else to do. Sooooo obvious!


Reply With Quote
  #25 (permalink)  
Old 03-09-2008, 12:59 AM
George Kerby
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Dallasnews: Apple bites into handheld gaming




On 3/8/08 3:44 PM, in article
dM2dnUyxbvRMlU7anZ2dnUVZ_gydnZ2d@speakeasy.net, "News" <News@Group.name>
wrote:

>
>
> Tinman wrote:
>
>> News wrote:
>>
>>> Larry wrote:
>>>
>>>> WE don't "hate it". We merely point out its omissions, design
>>>> flaws, and objectives, a WebTV device that acts like a Box Office in
>>>> your pocket.
>>>
>>> Issues that a fanboi might be blind to... for example.

>>
>>
>> Pooh, the "fanboi" card. So hip.
>>
>> I love watching you idiots get yer panties in a twist over a device you
>> neither own nor know anything about. Too funny...
>>

>
> Pooh, yourself. Fashion victims are too hip. In their own minds...
>
> I've used one, and it pales in comparison to the two year old PocketPC
> GPS GSM phone I continue to use; no, I wouldn't own one.

You are a dinosaur.


Reply With Quote
  #26 (permalink)  
Old 03-09-2008, 01:02 AM
George Kerby
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Dallasnews: Apple bites into handheld gaming




On 3/8/08 6:26 PM, in article
k9GAj.19561$R84.12654@newssvr25.news.prodigy.net, "Kevin Weaver"
<kevinkeithweaver@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> "Tinman" <ask@for.it> wrote in message
> news:63gg5eF2770ltU1@mid.individual.net...
>> Todd Allcock wrote:
>>>
>>>> Sure. My friend works at a apple store. He see's it everyday. I've
>>>> gone there to have lunch with him and he showed me over 50 of them
>>>> waiting to be returned. When they ask why there returning them over
>>>> half is battery life.
>>>
>>> Strangely enough, I believe both of you! ;-)
>>>

>>
>> Don't be that naive, Todd. He only has his (make-believe?) "friend." Never
>> any actual proof. Even Navas ain't that bad. He said, and I quote, "A
>> phone with a battery life that sucks and won't last thru a day of use."
>> That statement is ********. I am a very heavy user and have no problem
>> making it through a day--and not down to 10% either.
>>
>> Visit any iPhone forum--say everythingicafe.com--and see how many people
>> are *****ing about battery life. Very, very little--unless it's a true
>> defect. Those kinds of forums breed complaints more than praise, so they
>> should be overflowing with battery complaints (people don't pop in to say,
>> "everything was peachy today!"). And give folks more credit: they don't
>> need to have owned a smartphone before understand that they actually use
>> the iPhone a heck of a lot more than their prior phone. That said most of
>> the iPhone users I know did in fact have a smartphone previously, usually
>> more than one.
>>
>> Better yet next time you are by an Apple store see how many iPhones are
>> being returned. Feel free to ask around. If you really feel gutsy ask
>> about the Beaver's claim... if you don't mind getting laughed outta the
>> store. <g>
>>
>>
>> --
>> Mike
>>

>
> Google battery life on the iPhone. What do you see ? People are saying the
> same thing. Battery life sucks.
>
> So there all wrong as well ? Only a few have said the battery life is great.
> Then again if the device is something you love, you kind of look at it with
> closed eyes.
>
> I've used one for a week. Fully charged before going to bed. Not checking
> anything thru the web. During the day the phone calls mins were a total of
> about 30 mins.I had it set to check email every 30 mins. Battery was warning
> 20% left 10 hours later.
> Bluetooth was used for the 30 min's of calling. But was turned off after.
>

Take it back. It's a fluke. I get more than 3 hours use and 45+ standby with
bluetooth on. If you are REALLY not lying (which I doubt) you should take it
back. Your report is not the norm.


Reply With Quote
  #27 (permalink)  
Old 03-09-2008, 01:08 AM
The Bob
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Dallasnews: Apple bites into handheld gaming

George Kerby <ghost_topper@hotmail.com> amazed us all with the following
in news:C3F89F03.4806D%ghost_topper@hotmail.com:

>
>
>
> On 3/8/08 12:44 PM, in article
> Xns9A5B8CAC2DCB9noonehomecom@208.49.80.253, "Larry" <noone@home.com>
> wrote:
>
>> "Tinman" <ask@for.it> wrote in
>> news:63g32lF27lphlU1@mid.individual.net:
>>
>>> But keep on hating it. People like you need something to hate,
>>> obviously.
>>>
>>>

>>
>> WE don't "hate it". We merely point out its omissions, design flaws,
>> and objectives, a WebTV device that acts like a Box Office in your
>> pocket.
>>

> Another dweeb spews ********.
>
>


And another fanboi spews his hatred for those that don't drink the koolaid.

Reply With Quote
  #28 (permalink)  
Old 03-09-2008, 01:09 AM
The Bob
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Dallasnews: Apple bites into handheld gaming

George Kerby <ghost_topper@hotmail.com> amazed us all with the following in
news:C3F8A08E.48070%ghost_topper@hotmail.com:

>
>
>
> On 3/8/08 3:44 PM, in article
> dM2dnUyxbvRMlU7anZ2dnUVZ_gydnZ2d@speakeasy.net, "News" <News@Group.name>
> wrote:
>
>>
>>
>> Tinman wrote:
>>
>>> News wrote:
>>>
>>>> Larry wrote:
>>>>
>>>>> WE don't "hate it". We merely point out its omissions, design
>>>>> flaws, and objectives, a WebTV device that acts like a Box Office in
>>>>> your pocket.
>>>>
>>>> Issues that a fanboi might be blind to... for example.
>>>
>>>
>>> Pooh, the "fanboi" card. So hip.
>>>
>>> I love watching you idiots get yer panties in a twist over a device you
>>> neither own nor know anything about. Too funny...
>>>

>>
>> Pooh, yourself. Fashion victims are too hip. In their own minds...
>>
>> I've used one, and it pales in comparison to the two year old PocketPC
>> GPS GSM phone I continue to use; no, I wouldn't own one.

> You are a dinosaur.
>
>


And you're a lemming.

Reply With Quote
  #29 (permalink)  
Old 03-09-2008, 03:05 AM
Kevin Weaver
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Dallasnews: Apple bites into handheld gaming

"George Kerby" <ghost_topper@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:C3F8A149.48072%ghost_topper@hotmail.com...
>
>
>
> On 3/8/08 6:26 PM, in article
> k9GAj.19561$R84.12654@newssvr25.news.prodigy.net, "Kevin Weaver"
> <kevinkeithweaver@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>
>> "Tinman" <ask@for.it> wrote in message
>> news:63gg5eF2770ltU1@mid.individual.net...
>>> Todd Allcock wrote:
>>>>
>>>>> Sure. My friend works at a apple store. He see's it everyday. I've
>>>>> gone there to have lunch with him and he showed me over 50 of them
>>>>> waiting to be returned. When they ask why there returning them over
>>>>> half is battery life.
>>>>
>>>> Strangely enough, I believe both of you! ;-)
>>>>
>>>
>>> Don't be that naive, Todd. He only has his (make-believe?) "friend."
>>> Never
>>> any actual proof. Even Navas ain't that bad. He said, and I quote, "A
>>> phone with a battery life that sucks and won't last thru a day of use."
>>> That statement is ********. I am a very heavy user and have no problem
>>> making it through a day--and not down to 10% either.
>>>
>>> Visit any iPhone forum--say everythingicafe.com--and see how many people
>>> are *****ing about battery life. Very, very little--unless it's a true
>>> defect. Those kinds of forums breed complaints more than praise, so they
>>> should be overflowing with battery complaints (people don't pop in to
>>> say,
>>> "everything was peachy today!"). And give folks more credit: they don't
>>> need to have owned a smartphone before understand that they actually use
>>> the iPhone a heck of a lot more than their prior phone. That said most
>>> of
>>> the iPhone users I know did in fact have a smartphone previously,
>>> usually
>>> more than one.
>>>
>>> Better yet next time you are by an Apple store see how many iPhones are
>>> being returned. Feel free to ask around. If you really feel gutsy ask
>>> about the Beaver's claim... if you don't mind getting laughed outta the
>>> store. <g>
>>>
>>>
>>> --
>>> Mike
>>>

>>
>> Google battery life on the iPhone. What do you see ? People are saying
>> the
>> same thing. Battery life sucks.
>>
>> So there all wrong as well ? Only a few have said the battery life is
>> great.
>> Then again if the device is something you love, you kind of look at it
>> with
>> closed eyes.
>>
>> I've used one for a week. Fully charged before going to bed. Not checking
>> anything thru the web. During the day the phone calls mins were a total
>> of
>> about 30 mins.I had it set to check email every 30 mins. Battery was
>> warning
>> 20% left 10 hours later.
>> Bluetooth was used for the 30 min's of calling. But was turned off after.
>>

> Take it back. It's a fluke. I get more than 3 hours use and 45+ standby
> with
> bluetooth on. If you are REALLY not lying (which I doubt) you should take
> it
> back. Your report is not the norm.
>


I told my friend of my findings. He was not interested at all. Nothing could
split him from his iphone. I asked him if this happens to him. He said
sometimes, but he is in his cube all day with it in its docking cradle being
charged. His wife told me it's always docked when he is home. She used it
for a few days to see if she wanted one herself. She loved it but in short,
was finding it was needing to be charged every night. She is used to going
almost a week with here L-7 Moto.

The apple store sold a guy a iphone, He brought back 3 of them. They always
said no problem try another one. After the 3rd one he was offered a 4th. But
gave up after the 3rd. Maybe that run of batteries were bad. Apple said
they did not think so. but was willing to do what ever it took. I have to
give them that.



Reply With Quote
  #30 (permalink)  
Old 03-09-2008, 03:49 AM
Kevin Weaver
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Dallasnews: Apple bites into handheld gaming

"Tinman" <ask@for.it> wrote in message
news:63gg5eF2770ltU1@mid.individual.net...
> Todd Allcock wrote:
>>
>>> Sure. My friend works at a apple store. He see's it everyday. I've
>>> gone there to have lunch with him and he showed me over 50 of them
>>> waiting to be returned. When they ask why there returning them over
>>> half is battery life.

>>
>> Strangely enough, I believe both of you! ;-)
>>

>
> Don't be that naive, Todd. He only has his (make-believe?) "friend." Never
> any actual proof. Even Navas ain't that bad. He said, and I quote, "A
> phone with a battery life that sucks and won't last thru a day of use."
> That statement is ********. I am a very heavy user and have no problem
> making it through a day--and not down to 10% either.
>
> Visit any iPhone forum--say everythingicafe.com--and see how many people
> are *****ing about battery life. Very, very little--unless it's a true
> defect. Those kinds of forums breed complaints more than praise, so they
> should be overflowing with battery complaints (people don't pop in to say,
> "everything was peachy today!"). And give folks more credit: they don't
> need to have owned a smartphone before understand that they actually use
> the iPhone a heck of a lot more than their prior phone. That said most of
> the iPhone users I know did in fact have a smartphone previously, usually
> more than one.
>
> Better yet next time you are by an Apple store see how many iPhones are
> being returned. Feel free to ask around. If you really feel gutsy ask
> about the Beaver's claim... if you don't mind getting laughed outta the
> store. <g>
>
>
> --
> Mike
>


So were just to take your word but not mine ? Google Iphone battery life.
See for yourself. If I were the only one saying what I've said, then it
might be BS. All I'm saying is that I've used a friends and what another
that works in a company apple store told me after I saw lots of them being
returned.

He just goes by what the buyer has said what the problem is to enter into
the company database. I could care less. I don't own one. My Treo polls
email every 20mins and surfs at 3G not EDGE. Has Bluetooth. Battery lasts
about two days.
The battery they use in the iPhone is longer lasting technology then what
the treo uses.

Wait till they add 3G to the iPhone. That battery will be Toast. Unless they
add a battery door where the user can swap them out as needed.

Apple blames the battery door would cause extra size to be added to the
phone. That is a lie. If any would be added it would be less then a 1/16 If
that. Look at any slim phone. they have battery doors that can be removed.
Look at the size of the Razr which has a battery door. They could have made
one but they wont. And we all know why they opt out on that one.


Reply With Quote
Reply


« GetQuik Makes it Easy for Apple iPhone Users to Place Restaurant FoodOrders On-The-Go | Share : how to convert dvd and video to iphone »
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Re: Apple--the new Microsoft Willy Wankalot alt.cellular.cingular 0 09-08-2007 11:56 PM


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:13 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45