I've been using TDMA for 10 years and now I am looking for a new phone
(Nokia is at its end) and I am looking at a Samsung A717 (almost identical
to A707/SYNC) and it they use the 3G network.
(1) What is 2G and/or 3G, and how does that equate to vanilla flavored GSM
which I understood a few years ago?
(2) Also, I only want to use voice. I do not want to use add-on services for
data transfer. If the A717 has a data access feature, can I disable that
option and stay pure voice when online?
(3) What I optionally want to use is a camera (pictures and video) so can I
capture those OFFLINE without using add-on or costly data services?
For example, the A717 comes with an optional USB cable for a fee (sadly, it
should be part of the phone's bundle). I was hoping I could use that to
transfer data to my PC, exactly the way my digital camera does.
Unfortunately, they charge extra for a USB cable and software.
(4) Can I get a standard USB cable from a Micro Center or Best Buy, or is it
proprietary for the Samsung? I know that Bluetooth is normally used with a
headset. Optionally, can I use Bluetooth to network data (pictures/video)
from my phone to my PC?
(5) The Cingular forum at AT&T wireless is laced with PO'd users who swear
they are now getting dropped calls after the AT&T take over of Cingular.
They think there is something in the network, not the phones, that is the
reason. Any experiences that could confirm these forum users? http://forums.wireless.att.com/cng/b...hread.id=33455 http://forums.wireless.att.com/cng/b...hread.id=11401