Go Back   Wireless and Wifi Forums > Cellular Communications > US Networks > alt.cellular.cingular
Register FAQ Forum Rules Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Advertise Mark Forums Read

 
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 03-17-2008, 11:52 PM
iPhone News
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default SlingPlayer coming to iPhone?

According to Gizmodo, Sling is interested in creating a version of its
SlingPlayer for the iPhone. SlingPlayer is the companion software to
Sling Media's SlingBox which streams content from a home device, such as
cable or a PVR, remotely to a computer or mobile device. Sling has
announced a version of the SlingPlayer for Windows Mobile, set to be
released this spring. The company is currently evaluating the newly
released iPhone SDK to see if an iPhone version could be a possibility.

Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 03-18-2008, 12:00 AM
The Bob
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: SlingPlayer coming to iPhone?

iPhone News <invalid@nospam.net> amazed us all with the following in
news:invalid-E228C8.18524917032008@news.giganews.com:

> According to Gizmodo, Sling is interested in creating a version of its
> SlingPlayer for the iPhone. SlingPlayer is the companion software to
> Sling Media's SlingBox which streams content from a home device, such as
> cable or a PVR, remotely to a computer or mobile device. Sling has
> announced a version of the SlingPlayer for Windows Mobile, set to be
> released this spring. The company is currently evaluating the newly
> released iPhone SDK to see if an iPhone version could be a possibility.
>


You mean they're waiting to see if Apple turns them down like they did to
thousands of others.

"By week’s end, almost everyone who had downloaded the SDK and offered to
pay the $99 ($299 for enterprises) to become an official iPhone or iPod
touch developer had received Apple’s polite but firm rejection letter:

Dear Registered iPhone Developer, Thank you for expressing interest in the
iPhone Developer Program. We have received your enrollment request. As this
time, the iPhone Developer Program is available to a limited number of
developers and we plan to expand during the beta period. We will contact
you again regarding your enrollment status at the appropriate time. Thank
you for applying.

What stings for the developers who got what reads like a pink slip is that
they know Apple has already let its favorite partners under the tent. In
addition to the companies that demoed at the March 6 event (EA, Salesforce,
AOL, Epocrates, Sega) Apple quoted a quite a few more the press release
(Intuit, Namco, Netsuite, PopCap, Rocket Mobile, Six Apart and THQ
Wireless)."

http://apple20.blogs.fortune.cnn.com...100000-iphone-
developers-dont-call-us-well-call-you/


Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 03-18-2008, 12:17 AM
Charles
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: SlingPlayer coming to iPhone?

In article <Xns9A64ACF8358E6bob@216.196.97.136>, The Bob
<nospam@bob.com> wrote:

> You mean they're waiting to see if Apple turns them down like they did to
> thousands of others.
>
> "By week’s end, almost everyone who had downloaded the SDK and offered to
> pay the $99 ($299 for enterprises) to become an official iPhone or iPod
> touch developer had received Apple’s polite but firm rejection letter:


You are so transparent troll.

As they stated in their road map announcement the developer program is
limited while the SDK is in Beta. In June when the SDK is released the
developer program will be open to all. No one has to wait to begin
developing. The beta SDK is available to download. Developers can start
developing on it now.

--
Charles

Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 03-18-2008, 12:29 AM
The Bob
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: SlingPlayer coming to iPhone?

Charles <fort514@mac.com> amazed us all with the following in
news:170320081917370003%fort514@mac.com:

> In article <Xns9A64ACF8358E6bob@216.196.97.136>, The Bob
> <nospam@bob.com> wrote:
>
>> You mean they're waiting to see if Apple turns them down like they
>> did to thousands of others.
>>
>> "By week’s end, almost everyone who had downloaded the SDK and
>> offered to pay the $99 ($299 for enterprises) to become an official
>> iPhone or iPod touch developer had received Apple’s polite but firm
>> rejection letter:

>
> You are so transparent troll.


Why wouldn't I be transparent? And why would thatr be a bad thing?

I'd rather be transparent than clueless and brainwashed.


>
> As they stated in their road map announcement the developer program is
> limited while the SDK is in Beta. In June when the SDK is released the
> developer program will be open to all. No one has to wait to begin
> developing. The beta SDK is available to download. Developers can
> start developing on it now.
>


Re-read the article- there's another step in the process that you are
either too stupid or too ignorant to see. I'll let you decide which it is,
because I really don't care.


Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 03-18-2008, 12:33 AM
Charles
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: SlingPlayer coming to iPhone?

In article <Xns9A64B1E2A8A70bob@216.196.97.136>, The Bob
<nospam@bob.com> wrote:

> Re-read the article- there's another step in the process that you are
> either too stupid or too ignorant to see. I'll let you decide which it is,
> because I really don't care.


Of course you don't care. You are nothing but an iPhone hating troll.
Talk about stupid, your hate is stupid and your ignorance is stupid.
You are totally transparent for what you are, an idiot.

--
Charles

Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 03-18-2008, 12:38 AM
News
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: SlingPlayer coming to iPhone?



The Bob wrote:
> iPhone News <invalid@nospam.net> amazed us all with the following in
> news:invalid-E228C8.18524917032008@news.giganews.com:
>
>
>>According to Gizmodo, Sling is interested in creating a version of its
>>SlingPlayer for the iPhone. SlingPlayer is the companion software to
>>Sling Media's SlingBox which streams content from a home device, such as
>>cable or a PVR, remotely to a computer or mobile device. Sling has
>>announced a version of the SlingPlayer for Windows Mobile, set to be
>>released this spring. The company is currently evaluating the newly
>>released iPhone SDK to see if an iPhone version could be a possibility.
>>

>
>
> You mean they're waiting to see if Apple turns them down like they did to
> thousands of others.
>
> "By week’s end, almost everyone who had downloaded the SDK and offered to
> pay the $99 ($299 for enterprises) to become an official iPhone or iPod
> touch developer had received Apple’s polite but firm rejection letter:
>



Succckkkerrrsss!

Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 03-18-2008, 01:07 AM
The Bob
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: SlingPlayer coming to iPhone?

Charles <fort514@mac.com> amazed us all with the following in
news:170320081933588864%fort514@mac.com:

> In article <Xns9A64B1E2A8A70bob@216.196.97.136>, The Bob
> <nospam@bob.com> wrote:
>
>> Re-read the article- there's another step in the process that you are
>> either too stupid or too ignorant to see. I'll let you decide which
>> it is, because I really don't care.

>
> Of course you don't care. You are nothing but an iPhone hating troll.


Actually, I'm much more than that. I forgot more about cellular industry
on the way home today than you have amassed in total. You'll never figure
that out.

> Talk about stupid,


If we were to do that, your name would inevitably come up.

> your hate is stupid


Actually, my hatred is very logical. I don't hate the product. It works
very nice for someone looking for an expensive toy, and that doesn't care
about getting real work done with their mobile device or having two year
old functionality out of the box.

My hatred is for the miguided and fanatical who defend the product to the
death as being cutting edge technology, when in fact it lacks many of the
useful standard features of even the most inexpensive phones. I do take
issue with the misprepresentation and constant moving of the goal posts.


> and your ignorance is stupid.


What ignorance? My daughter's $50 cellphone has many more useful features
than the iPhone.

> You are totally transparent for what you are, an idiot.


Physician, heal thyself.

>



Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 03-18-2008, 01:26 AM
Charles
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: SlingPlayer coming to iPhone?

In article <elmop-842DCB.19583017032008@nntp10.usenetserver.com>, Elmo
P. Shagnasty <elmop@nastydesigns.com> wrote:

> When I tell people I'm a Mac guy, many of them put me in the same
> category they created when they see people like you. And I'm ashamed at
> having anything in common with fanbois like you.


Anyone who disagrees with you iPhone haters is called a "fanboi".
Meaningless. I will call you what you are....an idiot. Because you
express irrational hate.

I don't care if you or anyone owns a Mac or an iPhone or anyone buys an
iPhone. I don't think an iPhone or a Mac is the right product for
everyone. I don't think anyone is an idiot for not owning an iPhone or
a not owning a Mac. Nor do I think anyone is smart because they own a
Mac or an iPhone. I don't own an iPhone myself yet. I am interested in
the iPhone platform and will probably get one when the 3G version comes
out. I think it has great potential. But I don't think it is a given.
If I don't like it I will return it.

--
Charles

Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 03-18-2008, 01:32 AM
Charles
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: SlingPlayer coming to iPhone?

In article <Xns9A64B84E1D486bob@216.196.97.136>, The Bob
<nospam@bob.com> wrote:

> Actually, I'm much more than that. I forgot more about cellular industry
> on the way home today than you have amassed in total. You'll never figure
> that out.


If that is true why do you post like a ten year old child? You are
judged by what you are now----not by what you have forgotten.

--
Charles

Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 03-18-2008, 01:33 AM
Larry
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: SlingPlayer coming to iPhone?

Charles <fort514@mac.com> wrote in news:170320081917370003%fort514@mac.com:

> You are so transparent troll.
>


Who's the troll, the messenger or Fortune Magazine??


Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old 03-18-2008, 01:36 AM
The Bob
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: SlingPlayer coming to iPhone?

Charles <fort514@mac.com> amazed us all with the following in
news:170320082032591293%fort514@mac.com:

> In article <Xns9A64B84E1D486bob@216.196.97.136>, The Bob
> <nospam@bob.com> wrote:
>
>> Actually, I'm much more than that. I forgot more about cellular
>> industry on the way home today than you have amassed in total.
>> You'll never figure that out.

>
> If that is true why do you post like a ten year old child? You are
> judged by what you are now----not by what you have forgotten.
>


I simply post to match the intellectual level of those I'm responding to.
After all, you were the one who came flying out with the childish insults.
I simply figured you were too stupid to handle a grownup conversation.

Apparently, I was right.

Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old 03-18-2008, 01:43 AM
News
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: SlingPlayer coming to iPhone?

What sort of innovative, 12-step intervention program is required to
re-educate inveterate AAPL fanbois toward this level of objectivity?



Charles wrote:

> I don't care if you or anyone owns a Mac or an iPhone or anyone buys an
> iPhone. I don't think an iPhone or a Mac is the right product for
> everyone. I don't think anyone is an idiot for not owning an iPhone or
> a not owning a Mac. Nor do I think anyone is smart because they own a
> Mac or an iPhone. I don't own an iPhone myself yet. I am interested in
> the iPhone platform and will probably get one when the 3G version comes
> out. I think it has great potential. But I don't think it is a given.
> If I don't like it I will return it.


Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old 03-18-2008, 02:06 AM
News
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: SlingPlayer coming to iPhone?



Charles wrote:

> You are judged by what you are now----not by what you have forgotten.


So take that, grasshopper!

Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old 03-18-2008, 03:27 AM
Todd Allcock
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: SlingPlayer coming to iPhone?

At 17 Mar 2008 18:52:49 -0400 iPhone News wrote:
> According to Gizmodo, Sling is interested in creating a version of its
> SlingPlayer for the iPhone. SlingPlayer is the companion software to
> Sling Media's SlingBox which streams content from a home device, such as
> cable or a PVR, remotely to a computer or mobile device. Sling has
> announced a version of the SlingPlayer for Windows Mobile, set to be
> released this spring.


Um, that's a new _version_ of SlingPlayer for WM this spring. Sling has
had a WinMo version for as long as they've been building Slingboxes. (In
fact, a freecopy of the WinMo SlingPlayer was an "early adopter" bonus, it
was free for about 3 or 4 months, then it became an extra-cost option.)




Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old 03-18-2008, 06:58 PM
Jer
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: SlingPlayer coming to iPhone?

iPhone News wrote:
> According to Gizmodo, Sling is interested in creating a version of its
> SlingPlayer for the iPhone. SlingPlayer is the companion software to
> Sling Media's SlingBox which streams content from a home device, such as
> cable or a PVR, remotely to a computer or mobile device. Sling has
> announced a version of the SlingPlayer for Windows Mobile, set to be
> released this spring. The company is currently evaluating the newly
> released iPhone SDK to see if an iPhone version could be a possibility.



Oh yeah, that's what I reeely want, a postage stamp size TV screen - and
the transport costs that go with a mobile postage stamp size TV screen.

--
jer
email reply - I am not a 'ten'

Reply With Quote
  #16 (permalink)  
Old 03-18-2008, 08:02 PM
Larry
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: SlingPlayer coming to iPhone?

Todd Allcock <elecconnec@AmericaOnLine.com> wrote in
news:frngpc$haj$2@aioe.org:

> Um, that's a new _version_ of SlingPlayer for WM this spring. Sling
> has had a WinMo version for as long as they've been building
> Slingboxes. (In fact, a freecopy of the WinMo SlingPlayer was an
> "early adopter" bonus, it was free for about 3 or 4 months, then it
> became an extra-cost option.)
>
>


What will it do that free Orb from http://corp.orb.com/ with a compatible
TV card plugged into the cable won't do?

I got GIs in Iraq and Afghanistan watching cable TV from Charleston via ORB
to their military-grade laptops over their wifi links. Works great and
they really enjoy seeing a bit of home. Orb controls the TV cards so Iraq
can select which of the channels to watch off their keyboards.

Give it a try. You don't need to install anything on the mobile. It's a
webserver to html. The html boots the player in several selectable output
video/audio formats. (we use Realplayer on the Nokia tablets.)

Orb has quicktime, so it should play on iPhone if the Safari browser
hobbling can control it. Put Orb into HOME THEATRE mode, which makes the
clickers really big for home theatre interfaces. That should be easy to
finger on iPhone's capacitive screen. I leave it in that mode for the N800
tablet, here, and use 156Kbps on the settable upload bandwidth to make sure
it will work through the Sellphone data. You can even set it lower for the
EDGE network, but it will reduce your resolution and frame rate, of course.

Thank Nokia for buying the company....(c;


Reply With Quote
  #17 (permalink)  
Old 03-18-2008, 08:05 PM
Larry
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: SlingPlayer coming to iPhone?

Jer <gdunn@airmail.ten> wrote in news:13u00lgl5t7pq4f@corp.supernews.com:

> Oh yeah, that's what I reeely want, a postage stamp size TV screen - and
> the transport costs that go with a mobile postage stamp size TV screen.
>
> -


No, that's called MobiTV (Axcess TV on Alltel)(Vcast TV on Verizon)
(something else on T-mobile). If you put on 3 pairs of reading glasses, in
series, you can almost read CNN's crawler on a Z6m screen where it doesn't
support LANDSCAPE MODE, dammit.

25 channels on Alltel is $10/mo + $10 for unlimited data to feed it if you
don't have tethered $25/mo EVDO data service. It isn't worth it to listen
to Fox News' audio feed, which I can get free on the net.


Reply With Quote
  #18 (permalink)  
Old 03-18-2008, 08:18 PM
News
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: SlingPlayer coming to iPhone?



Larry wrote:

> Fox News' audio feed, which I can get free on the net.
>



The Faux feed isn't even worth "free".

Reply With Quote
  #19 (permalink)  
Old 03-18-2008, 10:33 PM
Jer
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: SlingPlayer coming to iPhone?

News wrote:
>
>
> Larry wrote:
>
>> Fox News' audio feed, which I can get free on the net.
>>

>
>
> The Faux feed isn't even worth "free".



I wouldn't waste a single IP packet on Faux news.

--
jer
email reply - I am not a 'ten'

Reply With Quote
  #20 (permalink)  
Old 03-18-2008, 11:33 PM
Todd Allcock
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: SlingPlayer coming to iPhone?

At 18 Mar 2008 19:02:09 +0000 Larry wrote:

> What will it do that free Orb from http://corp.orb.com/ with a compatible
> TV card plugged into the cable won't do?

Allow you live access to your satelite receiver or cable box. Orb is great
for your recorded library of media files, but if I'm you're a hotel that
doesn't, for example, offer BBC America, SlingPlayer communicates with the
Slingbox hooked to our cable or DBS setup, lets you select a channel and
shoots it to you live over the interwebs.


> I got GIs in Iraq and Afghanistan watching cable TV from Charleston via

ORB
> to their military-grade laptops over their wifi links. Works great and
> they really enjoy seeing a bit of home. Orb controls the TV cards so

Iraq
> can select which of the channels to watch off their keyboards.



Which is fine if you have a "media PC" setup. Slingbox essentially does
the same thing but without a PC. It's a ~$100 device that hooks to any
cable box or sat receiver.


> Give it a try. You don't need to install anything on the mobile. It's a
> webserver to html. The html boots the player in several selectable

output
> video/audio formats. (we use Realplayer on the Nokia tablets.)
>
> Orb has quicktime, so it should play on iPhone if the Safari browser
> hobbling can control it. Put Orb into HOME THEATRE mode, which makes the
> clickers really big for home theatre interfaces. That should be easy to
> finger on iPhone's capacitive screen. I leave it in that mode for the

N800
> tablet, here, and use 156Kbps on the settable upload bandwidth to make

sure
> it will work through the Sellphone data. You can even set it lower for

the
> EDGE network, but it will reduce your resolution and frame rate, of course.


>
> Thank Nokia for buying the company....(c;


DISH Network bought Sling, so I suspect the Sling software will be
integrated on their next receivers, or perhaps downloaded to their current
models with Ethernet ports.




Reply With Quote
Reply


« Interesting opportunities, worth exploring - a MUST read | iPhone leading the way in mobile news and information »
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Breaking Rumor: Apple iPhone goes enterprise on Jan. 21 4phun alt.cellular.attws 66 03-20-2008 01:24 AM
Apple's iPhone casts big shadow on cell industry Lon alt.cellular.cingular 37 06-29-2007 04:16 AM
Apple's iPhone casts big shadow on cell industry Lon alt.cellular.verizon 37 06-29-2007 04:16 AM
The iPhone's features: What's new, what's not Herb alt.cellular.cingular 10 06-28-2007 03:33 PM
Apple's New Calling: The iPhone EGV alt.cellular.cingular 372 03-10-2007 01:07 PM


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:52 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45