Go Back   Wireless and Wifi Forums > Cellular Communications > US Networks > alt.cellular.cingular
Register FAQ Forum Rules Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Advertise Mark Forums Read

 
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 10-16-2006, 10:49 PM
JDeats
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Using your Cingular 2125, 3125 or 8125 as a PC modem.

Unless stated, the following information does not represent the authors
opinion or ideas, this information is presented as a composite for
information freely available on the web.... sources are provided where
possible.....


This article describes how to use the ModemLink feature on your
Microsoft Windows Mobile 5 based phone over a Cingular's MediaNET
Unlimited account, which at the time of this writing is an great value
at $20-month for unlimited Internet usage over Cingular's EDGE (G2)
network.

STEPS TO SETUP
These steps are required the first time you wish to use the SmartPhone
as a modem.

1. If you don't already have a MediaNET account, contact Cingular or
walk into a Cingular outlet and request the MediaNET Unlimited for
SmartPhones be added to your account. They may tell you the 8125
doesn't qualify for the SmartPhone pricing since it's not a PDA, this
is a common inconsistancy in Cingular's service, you can call and add
the MediaNET unlimited service without problem.

2. Install the HTC USB modem driver supplied with the phone (it's on
the getting started CD). If you do not have the CD you can obtain the
driver from the HTC website: http://www.htcamerica.net

3. On the phone, "click" Start, More, More browse until you find the
Accessories folder, click on that folder and you'll find Calculator,
Download Agrent, ModemLink, etc... "click" on ModemLink

3. Plug the phone into the USB cable, connect it to the laptop

4. Let ActiveSync finish, then close it.

5. On the ModemLink properties screen, make sure for Connection: USB is
selected (IrCOMM is default), baud rate will be greyed out and default
to unused (ok), For access point name enter: wap.cingular. When all
settings are correct, select Activate

4. On the PC, go to Control Panel, Network Connections and create a new
network connection. A connection "wizard" will pop up. The wizard will
be a set of steps, each step providing a Next button. The steps using
Windows XP or XP with Service Pack 2 are as follows:

For Step 1: Connect to Internet
For Step 2: Set up my connection manually
For Step 3: Connect using a dial-up modem
For Step 4: Enter "Cingular" for ISP name (any name will actually work)
For Step 5: Enter *99# for the phone number
For Step 6: Enter WAP@CINGULARGPRS.COM for username and CINGULAR1 as
the password

Once the wizard completes you'll need to Control Panel, open up "Phones
and Modem Options", click on the "Modems" tab and select "HTC Modem" go
Properties and then Advanced Properties. For "Extra Initialization
Commands" past the following text.

AT+CGDCONT=1,"IP","WAP.CINGULAR"

You're all done with the setup.


TO CONNECT TO THE INTERNET USING YOUR SMARTPHONE

1. Open up the ModemLink application on the phone and select "Activate"
to put the phone in "modem" mode

2. Connect the USB cable from the PC to the phone

3. Go to Control Panel, Network Connections... Select the "Cingular"
connection you created (will be listed under Dial-up), right-click and
select "Connect". That's it! You should enjoy EDGE connect speeds
between 200-300 kbps. Access is limited to MediaNET coverage.

TROUBLESHOOTING STEPS

If you have problems connecting, try powering down the phone. Take the
battery out to reset it if you must. Once the phone restarts, put it to
Modem Link Active mode and try again.



DISCLAIMERS, ETC...

Regarding if this process is authorized by Cingular, the answer is
unclear but properly not relevant. In an e-mail exchange with someone
who claimed to be a Microsoft mobile engineer (I have to say claimed
because I can't verify, but he sounded knowledgable) I was told that
the ModemLink software abstracts the data from the service provider, in
other words Cingular can't tell (or more importantly, can't prove) when
you're using a Windows Mobile 5 SmartPhone and ModemLink as a tethered
device, as long as you log into their MediaNet server (WAP.CINGULAR).

>From an ethical and legal stand point you have nothing to worry about.

Consider that when you pay for MediaNET you are paying for unlimited
Internet connectivity over Cingular's WAP gateway. You are paying for
data access at (limited) WAP speeds and just because your device has
the capability to serve WAP data to a PC doesn't mean Cingular has a
right to stop you from doing this (as I will point out, they have not).
It's a feature of your SmartPhone, it's not cheating Cingular.

ModemLink is an advertised and documented feature of the 8125, 2125,
3125, etc.. it's available on every Windows Mobile 5 SmartPhone solid
in the US (source: Microsoft Windows Mobile 5 architecture and
developers guide)

If you want faster connect speeds for you laptop or PDA, consider a
laptop card and a subscription to Cingular's PDA data connect package.
You'll pay considerably more, but you will have access to their
ISP.CINGULAR gateway. WARNING: The Cingular 3125's Users Manual
instructs you to use ISP.CINGULAR for your gateway when configuring
modem link, this will likely result in "PDA Data Connect" plan rates or
disconnect if you have not signed up for a PDA Data connect package.

Although it's not documented in the Users Manual, you can use the steps
above to connect to the WAP.CINGULAR gateway using your 3125 without
any problems. If you call Cingular support you may get conflicting
information. I was told by a Cingular support rep that if you pay for
MediaNET account you get access to Cingular's WAP gateway and that they
do not audit what you do with the data you obtain through that network
or how often you are accessing it, to quote the rep "you are paying for
unlimited access... we do not audit your usage on the WAP gateway with
MediaNET". Of course Cingular has their overpriced laptop PDA data
connect service they want to try and push, so they aren't too open
about how to "tether" over their WAP gateway.

How can you be certain all of this is true? Worried that Cingular will
bill you extra or cut you off? Don't! All of the information in the
post is a composite of data gathered from multiple sources. The origin
of this material seems to be from this blog entry from an imfamous
Microsoft Software Engineer Mike Poulson, that blog entry is still
on-line.

http://blogs.msdn.com/mpoulson/archi...17/514017.aspx

I had an e-mail exchange with Mr. Poulson a few months ago and he
confirmed that Cingular has taken no action against him or Microsoft
for that blog entry (you have to consider, his blog appeared on a
Microsoft sponsored blog, inadvertently his comments represent
Microsoft, if this were a big deal there swords would have risen, but
that didn't happen). Mr. Poulson also confirmed that he has never had
any additional charges on his bill for data services.

I have personally been using this method for the past two months with
no problems with billing. During my first month I even streamed video
(as best one can stream video at 230-kbps) and left the connect going
for over eight hours, Cingular did not disconnect or bill me beyond the
$20 MediaNET Unlimited account.

Before engaging in WAP tethering using a SmartPhone, I sought out
responses from this newsgroup and others. I looking for people with
billing issues or service disconnect that could be unquestionably tied
to WAP tethering over MediaNet, no one has reported this happening and
if you search there web there isn't a single reported case.

All evidence seems to point to the way these devices have been
designed, prevents Cingular from regulating their use in this way. So
while the disclaimer is always "do at your own risk", know that
this is sound and has been proven.


Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 06-12-2007, 10:21 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 0
Default still having problems

hey i keep getting an access error 797 when trying to connect.... What am i doing wrong???
{iden32}
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 06-25-2007, 06:23 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 0
Default Cingular Internet on your Laptop

Quote:
Originally Posted by iden32 View Post
hey i keep getting an access error 797 when trying to connect.... What am i doing wrong???
{iden32}
Make sure you've called to get the Media Net Unlimited. And not any of the other MediaNet packages. They have too many which are for text messages, or combinations of, or picture mail or what ever.

Just make sure you ask for the "unlimited internet" or if you don't have a cingular plan just get the: "SmartPhone Connect Unlimited w/Xpress Mail" which is just $19.99 /month.

To get you going the MediaNet Unlimited with just internet (no messages, or picture mail extras) is $14.99 so if you have trouble with the rep make sure to step him/her through the list and keep saying "NOPE" until they tell you a plan that's $14.99 and includes nothing but internet access.

Then hang up and follow the instructions that JDeats showed you here to get online.

JDeats' advice is excellent (and well written)
Just be careful that some things are in upper case and some in lower case.
According to the: http://www.gruups.com/cingular_internet page you have to have the APN of wap.cingular in lowercase (it shouldn't matter but I'm just following the page) and the username and password in upper case.

There's also instructions there about how to do it with bluetooth (it's super easy. As long as your cell already connects to the internet just fine it's just a matter of pairing it)
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 07-05-2007, 06:54 AM
stealthknight89
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Using your Cingular 2125, 3125 or 8125 as a PC modem.


> > Unless stated, the following information does not represent the

authors
> > opinion or ideas, this information is presented as a composite

for
> > information freely available on the web.... sources are provided

where
> > possible.....
> >
> >
> > This article describes how to use the ModemLink feature on your
> > Microsoft Windows Mobile 5 based phone over a Cingular's MediaNET
> > Unlimited account, which at the time of this writing is an great

value
> > at $20-month for unlimited Internet usage over Cingular's EDGE

(G2)
> > network.
> >
> > STEPS TO SETUP
> > These steps are required the first time you wish to use the

SmartPhone
> > as a modem.
> >
> > 1. If you don't already have a MediaNET account, contact Cingular

or
> > walk into a Cingular outlet and request the MediaNET Unlimited

for
> > SmartPhones be added to your account. They may tell you the 8125
> > doesn't qualify for the SmartPhone pricing since it's not a PDA,

this
> > is a common inconsistancy in Cingular's service, you can call and

add
> > the MediaNET unlimited service without problem.
> >
> > 2. Install the HTC USB modem driver supplied with the phone

(it's on
> > the getting started CD). If you do not have the CD you can obtain

the
> > driver from the HTC website: http://www.htcamerica.net
> >
> > 3. On the phone, "click" Start, More, More browse until

you find the
> > Accessories folder, click on that folder and you'll find

Calculator,
> > Download Agrent, ModemLink, etc... "click" on ModemLink
> >
> > 3. Plug the phone into the USB cable, connect it to the laptop
> >
> > 4. Let ActiveSync finish, then close it.
> >
> > 5. On the ModemLink properties screen, make sure for Connection:

USB is
> > selected (IrCOMM is default), baud rate will be greyed out and

default
> > to unused (ok), For access point name enter: wap.cingular. When

all
> > settings are correct, select Activate
> >
> > 4. On the PC, go to Control Panel, Network Connections and create

a new
> > network connection. A connection "wizard" will pop up.

The wizard will
> > be a set of steps, each step providing a Next button. The steps

using
> > Windows XP or XP with Service Pack 2 are as follows:
> >
> > For Step 1: Connect to Internet
> > For Step 2: Set up my connection manually
> > For Step 3: Connect using a dial-up modem
> > For Step 4: Enter "Cingular" for ISP name (any name

will actually work)
> > For Step 5: Enter *99# for the phone number
> > For Step 6: Enter WAP@CINGULARGPRS.COM for username and CINGULAR1

as
> > the password
> >
> > Once the wizard completes you'll need to Control Panel, open up

"Phones
> > and Modem Options", click on the "Modems" tab and

select "HTC Modem" go
> > Properties and then Advanced Properties. For "Extra

Initialization
> > Commands" past the following text.
> >
> > AT+CGDCONT=1,"IP","WAP.CINGULAR"
> >
> > You're all done with the setup.
> >
> >
> > TO CONNECT TO THE INTERNET USING YOUR SMARTPHONE
> >
> > 1. Open up the ModemLink application on the phone and select

"Activate"
> > to put the phone in "modem" mode
> >
> > 2. Connect the USB cable from the PC to the phone
> >
> > 3. Go to Control Panel, Network Connections... Select the

"Cingular"
> > connection you created (will be listed under Dial-up),

right-click and
> > select "Connect". That's it! You should enjoy EDGE

connect speeds
> > between 200-300 kbps. Access is limited to MediaNET coverage.
> >
> > TROUBLESHOOTING STEPS
> >
> > If you have problems connecting, try powering down the phone.

Take the
> > battery out to reset it if you must. Once the phone restarts, put

it to
> > Modem Link Active mode and try again.
> >
> >
> >
> > DISCLAIMERS, ETC...
> >
> > Regarding if this process is authorized by Cingular, the answer

is
> > unclear but properly not relevant. In an e-mail exchange with

someone
> > who claimed to be a Microsoft mobile engineer (I have to say

claimed
> > because I can't verify, but he sounded knowledgable) I was told

that
> > the ModemLink software abstracts the data from the service

provider, in
> > other words Cingular can't tell (or more importantly, can't

prove) when
> > you're using a Windows Mobile 5 SmartPhone and ModemLink as a

tethered
> > device, as long as you log into their MediaNet server

(WAP.CINGULAR).
> >
> > From an ethical and legal stand point you have nothing to worry

about.
> >

> GUEST wrote:
>
> Consider that when you pay for MediaNET you are paying for

unlimited
> Internet connectivity over Cingular's WAP gateway. You are paying

for
> data access at (limited) WAP speeds and just because your device

has
> the capability to serve WAP data to a PC doesn't mean Cingular has

a
> right to stop you from doing this (as I will point out, they have

not).
> It's a feature of your SmartPhone, it's not cheating Cingular.
>
> ModemLink is an advertised and documented feature of the 8125,

2125,
> 3125, etc.. it's available on every Windows Mobile 5 SmartPhone

solid
> in the US (source: Microsoft Windows Mobile 5 architecture and
> developers guide)
>
> If you want faster connect speeds for you laptop or PDA, consider a
> laptop card and a subscription to Cingular's PDA data connect

package.
> You'll pay considerably more, but you will have access to their
> ISP.CINGULAR gateway. WARNING: The Cingular 3125's Users Manual
> instructs you to use ISP.CINGULAR for your gateway when configuring
> modem link, this will likely result in "PDA Data Connect"

plan rates or
> disconnect if you have not signed up for a PDA Data connect

package.
>
> Although it's not documented in the Users Manual, you can use the

steps
> above to connect to the WAP.CINGULAR gateway using your 3125

without
> any problems. If you call Cingular support you may get conflicting
> information. I was told by a Cingular support rep that if you pay

for
> MediaNET account you get access to Cingular's WAP gateway and that

they
> do not audit what you do with the data you obtain through that

network
> or how often you are accessing it, to quote the rep "you are

paying for
> unlimited access... we do not audit your usage on the WAP gateway

with
> MediaNET". Of course Cingular has their overpriced laptop PDA

data
> connect service they want to try and push, so they aren't too open
> about how to "tether" over their WAP gateway.
>
> How can you be certain all of this is true? Worried that Cingular

will
> bill you extra or cut you off? Don't! All of the information in the
> post is a composite of data gathered from multiple sources. The

origin
> of this material seems to be from this blog entry from an imfamous
> Microsoft Software Engineer Mike Poulson, that blog entry is still
> on-line.
>
> http://blogs.msdn.com/mpoulson/archi...17/514017.aspx
>
> I had an e-mail exchange with Mr. Poulson a few months ago and he
> confirmed that Cingular has taken no action against him or

Microsoft
> for that blog entry (you have to consider, his blog appeared on a
> Microsoft sponsored blog, inadvertently his comments represent
> Microsoft, if this were a big deal there swords would have risen,

but
> that didn't happen). Mr. Poulson also confirmed that he has never

had
> any additional charges on his bill for data services.
>
> I have personally been using this method for the past two months

with
> no problems with billing. During my first month I even streamed

video
> (as best one can stream video at 230-kbps) and left the connect

going
> for over eight hours, Cingular did not disconnect or bill me beyond

the
> $20 MediaNET Unlimited account.
>
> Before engaging in WAP tethering using a SmartPhone, I sought out
> responses from this newsgroup and others. I looking for people with
> billing issues or service disconnect that could be unquestionably

tied
> to WAP tethering over MediaNet, no one has reported this happening

and
> if you search there web there isn't a single reported case.
>
> All evidence seems to point to the way these devices have been
> designed, prevents Cingular from regulating their use in this way.

So
> while the disclaimer is always "do at your own risk",

know that
> this is sound and has been proven.


well i was wondering if
there was any way of using the 3125 to dial in like a standard modem
using the AOL dialing system. If so can you let me know in detail how
it is done or link me to where i can find out how?

i am currently connecting through the USB cable supplied with the 3125


Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 07-05-2007, 08:08 AM
Todd Allcock
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Using your Cingular 2125, 3125 or 8125 as a PC modem.

At 05 Jul 2007 01:54:09 -0500 stealthknight89 wrote:

> well i was wondering if
> there was any way of using the 3125 to
> dial in like a standard modem
> using the AOL dialing system. If so can you let me know in detail how
> it is done or link me to where i can find out how?



Yes and no. The 3125 hardware is capable of a dial-up connection (called
"CSD," or circuit-switched data) but the provider has to support CSD
connections. T-Mobile does, the old AT&TWS didn't, and Cingular
sometimes does (from what I've read, it depends on when you signed up. I
used to use CSD on Cingular back before they offered GPRS, but newer
accounts don't have the feature. They used to sell it for $3.99/month as
"wireless web.")

> i am currently connecting through the USB cable supplied with the 3125


If Cingular will activate CSD on your account it should work. Keep in
mind, however, CSD connections run at a less-than-blazing 9.6kbps- about
1/4 the speed of a 56k modem! Suitable for grabbing e-mail in a pinch,
maybe, but that's about it.

GPRS/EDGE and 3G work like broadband- Cingular itself is your provider-
you can't "dial up" your own ISP on GPRS just like you can't dial-up your
own ISP on DSL or a cable modem.




--
Posted via a free Usenet account from http://www.teranews.com


Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 07-06-2007, 05:13 PM
stealthknight89
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Using your Cingular 2125, 3125 or 8125 as a PC modem.


> > Unless stated, the following information does not represent the

authors
> > opinion or ideas, this information is presented as a composite

for
> > information freely available on the web.... sources are provided

where
> > possible.....
> >
> >
> > This article describes how to use the ModemLink feature on your
> > Microsoft Windows Mobile 5 based phone over a Cingular's MediaNET
> > Unlimited account, which at the time of this writing is an great

value
> > at $20-month for unlimited Internet usage over Cingular's EDGE

(G2)
> > network.
> >
> > STEPS TO SETUP
> > These steps are required the first time you wish to use the

SmartPhone
> > as a modem.
> >
> > 1. If you don't already have a MediaNET account, contact Cingular

or
> > walk into a Cingular outlet and request the MediaNET Unlimited

for
> > SmartPhones be added to your account. They may tell you the 8125
> > doesn't qualify for the SmartPhone pricing since it's not a PDA,

this
> > is a common inconsistancy in Cingular's service, you can call and

add
> > the MediaNET unlimited service without problem.
> >
> > 2. Install the HTC USB modem driver supplied with the phone

(it's on
> > the getting started CD). If you do not have the CD you can obtain

the
> > driver from the HTC website: http://www.htcamerica.net
> >
> > 3. On the phone, "click" Start, More, More browse until

you find the
> > Accessories folder, click on that folder and you'll find

Calculator,
> > Download Agrent, ModemLink, etc... "click" on ModemLink
> >
> > 3. Plug the phone into the USB cable, connect it to the laptop
> >
> > 4. Let ActiveSync finish, then close it.
> >
> > 5. On the ModemLink properties screen, make sure for Connection:

USB is
> > selected (IrCOMM is default), baud rate will be greyed out and

default
> > to unused (ok), For access point name enter: wap.cingular. When

all
> > settings are correct, select Activate
> >
> > 4. On the PC, go to Control Panel, Network Connections and create

a new
> > network connection. A connection "wizard" will pop up.

The wizard will
> > be a set of steps, each step providing a Next button. The steps

using
> > Windows XP or XP with Service Pack 2 are as follows:
> >
> > For Step 1: Connect to Internet
> > For Step 2: Set up my connection manually
> > For Step 3: Connect using a dial-up modem
> > For Step 4: Enter "Cingular" for ISP name (any name

will actually work)
> > For Step 5: Enter *99# for the phone number
> > For Step 6: Enter WAP@CINGULARGPRS.COM for username and CINGULAR1

as
> > the password
> >
> > Once the wizard completes you'll need to Control Panel, open up

"Phones
> > and Modem Options", click on the "Modems" tab and

select "HTC Modem" go
> > Properties and then Advanced Properties. For "Extra

Initialization
> > Commands" past the following text.
> >
> > AT+CGDCONT=1,"IP","WAP.CINGULAR"
> >
> > You're all done with the setup.
> >
> >
> > TO CONNECT TO THE INTERNET USING YOUR SMARTPHONE
> >
> > 1. Open up the ModemLink application on the phone and select

"Activate"
> > to put the phone in "modem" mode
> >
> > 2. Connect the USB cable from the PC to the phone
> >
> > 3. Go to Control Panel, Network Connections... Select the

"Cingular"
> > connection you created (will be listed under Dial-up),

right-click and
> > select "Connect". That's it! You should enjoy EDGE

connect speeds
> > between 200-300 kbps. Access is limited to MediaNET coverage.
> >
> > TROUBLESHOOTING STEPS
> >
> > If you have problems connecting, try powering down the phone.

Take the
> > battery out to reset it if you must. Once the phone restarts, put

it to
> > Modem Link Active mode and try again.
> >
> >
> >
> > DISCLAIMERS, ETC...
> >
> > Regarding if this process is authorized by Cingular, the answer

is
> > unclear but properly not relevant. In an e-mail exchange with

someone
> > who claimed to be a Microsoft mobile engineer (I have to say

claimed
> > because I can't verify, but he sounded knowledgable) I was told

that
> > the ModemLink software abstracts the data from the service

provider, in
> > other words Cingular can't tell (or more importantly, can't

prove) when
> > you're using a Windows Mobile 5 SmartPhone and ModemLink as a

tethered
> > device, as long as you log into their MediaNet server

(WAP.CINGULAR).
> >
> > From an ethical and legal stand point you have nothing to worry

about.
> >

> GUEST wrote:
>
> Consider that when you pay for MediaNET you are paying for

unlimited
> Internet connectivity over Cingular's WAP gateway. You are paying

for
> data access at (limited) WAP speeds and just because your device

has
> the capability to serve WAP data to a PC doesn't mean Cingular has

a
> right to stop you from doing this (as I will point out, they have

not).
> It's a feature of your SmartPhone, it's not cheating Cingular.
>
> ModemLink is an advertised and documented feature of the 8125,

2125,
> 3125, etc.. it's available on every Windows Mobile 5 SmartPhone

solid
> in the US (source: Microsoft Windows Mobile 5 architecture and
> developers guide)
>
> If you want faster connect speeds for you laptop or PDA, consider a
> laptop card and a subscription to Cingular's PDA data connect

package.
> You'll pay considerably more, but you will have access to their
> ISP.CINGULAR gateway. WARNING: The Cingular 3125's Users Manual
> instructs you to use ISP.CINGULAR for your gateway when configuring
> modem link, this will likely result in "PDA Data Connect"

plan rates or
> disconnect if you have not signed up for a PDA Data connect

package.
>
> Although it's not documented in the Users Manual, you can use the

steps
> above to connect to the WAP.CINGULAR gateway using your 3125

without
> any problems. If you call Cingular support you may get conflicting
> information. I was told by a Cingular support rep that if you pay

for
> MediaNET account you get access to Cingular's WAP gateway and that

they
> do not audit what you do with the data you obtain through that

network
> or how often you are accessing it, to quote the rep "you are

paying for
> unlimited access... we do not audit your usage on the WAP gateway

with
> MediaNET". Of course Cingular has their overpriced laptop PDA

data
> connect service they want to try and push, so they aren't too open
> about how to "tether" over their WAP gateway.
>
> How can you be certain all of this is true? Worried that Cingular

will
> bill you extra or cut you off? Don't! All of the information in the
> post is a composite of data gathered from multiple sources. The

origin
> of this material seems to be from this blog entry from an imfamous
> Microsoft Software Engineer Mike Poulson, that blog entry is still
> on-line.
>
> http://blogs.msdn.com/mpoulson/archi...17/514017.aspx
>
> I had an e-mail exchange with Mr. Poulson a few months ago and he
> confirmed that Cingular has taken no action against him or

Microsoft
> for that blog entry (you have to consider, his blog appeared on a
> Microsoft sponsored blog, inadvertently his comments represent
> Microsoft, if this were a big deal there swords would have risen,

but
> that didn't happen). Mr. Poulson also confirmed that he has never

had
> any additional charges on his bill for data services.
>
> I have personally been using this method for the past two months

with
> no problems with billing. During my first month I even streamed

video
> (as best one can stream video at 230-kbps) and left the connect

going
> for over eight hours, Cingular did not disconnect or bill me beyond

the
> $20 MediaNET Unlimited account.
>
> Before engaging in WAP tethering using a SmartPhone, I sought out
> responses from this newsgroup and others. I looking for people with
> billing issues or service disconnect that could be unquestionably

tied
> to WAP tethering over MediaNet, no one has reported this happening

and
> if you search there web there isn't a single reported case.
>
> All evidence seems to point to the way these devices have been
> designed, prevents Cingular from regulating their use in this way.

So
> while the disclaimer is always "do at your own risk",

know that
> this is sound and has been proven.


ok, so this means that i
am not able to use my cingular 3125 as a "bridge" as it
were and just use the call function of the phone itself to dial in
like a standard 56k? i sort of understood ur response above but to me
it seems like what i am trying to do is a functionality configuration
question, not a service configuration question. I am trying to shy
away from cingular internet service all together and just tap into my
pool of minutes and use them to get internet on my PC.

In all honesty the way i see it is that if i can call a number on my
phone and talk to someone on the other end, y can't i have my
computer to do the same?

Please Let me know if there are some restrictions or minor details
that i may be over looking. I know very little about cell phone to PC
dialing but i have to say it doesn't seem to me like it should be a
terribly hard thing to do.


Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 07-06-2007, 06:14 PM
Todd Allcock
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Using your Cingular 2125, 3125 or 8125 as a PC modem.

At 06 Jul 2007 12:13:06 -0500 stealthknight89 wrote:

> ok, so this means that i
> am not able to use my cingular 3125 as a "bridge" as it
> were and just use the call function of the phone itself to dial in
> like a standard 56k? i sort of understood ur response above but to me
> it seems like what i am trying to do is a functionality configuration
> question, not a service configuration question.


It's both- long story short, "regular" (analog) modem connections don't
work through digital cell phones, so the phone provider must provide you
with the use of a dial-up analog modem at their "headquarters" for a CSD
("dial-up") connection. This is why the carrier has to be a willing
participant in the connection.

The "modem" in the cell phone isn't really a modem in the traditional
sense, but hardware/software that allows the phone to exchange data with
the cell provider, who's really making the analog modem connection for you.
This CSD connection between you and the carrier is the 9.6k bottleneck-
the carrier's modem is capable of a faster 56k connection, but your phone
connects to the carrier at a slower (9.6k) rate. CSD is "1G"- the
original GSM data transfer method that has essentially been "replaced" by
GPRS, EDGE, UMTS, etc.

> I am trying to shy
> away from cingular internet service all together and just tap into my
> pool of minutes and use them to get internet on my PC.



Again, that's fine if A) Cingular allows it, and you can live with a
9.6k connection!


> In all honesty the way i see it is that if i can call a number on my
> phone and talk to someone on the other end, y can't i have my
> computer to do the same?


Because your cellphone isn't a modem, but more of a network device! It
has no way (by itself) of creating an analog dial-up data connection,
anymore than a DSL or cable modem can.


> Please Let me know if there are some restrictions or minor details
> that i may be over looking. I know very little about cell phone to PC
> dialing but i have to say it doesn't seem to me like it should be a
> terribly hard thing to do.


It isn't, as long as Cingular provisions your account for "CSD." The
ball is in Cingular's court. There's simply no way to make a dialup
connection without their system acting as a middleman.

For example, an eon ago when I was a Cingular TDMA customer, I had CSD on
my account,and it worked at the relatively blinding speed of 14.4k (TDMA
and CDMA use a faster implementation of CSD than GSM does- something
about the larger bandwidth of TDMA and CDMA slots- I forget all the
details.) Whenever I roamed on ATTWS, who didn't support CSD, the
"modem" in my phone magically stopped working, even though I changed no
settings on my phone. The only difference was Cingular accepted "data
calls" and AT&T rejected them.

Even today, with T-Mobile, who supports CSD, I can make a dial-up call to
an ISP, but I can't send a fax through my phone, because while T-Mo
accepts data calls, they reject fax calls unless you add their $10/month
"business CSD" service, which apparently lets you use their faxmodems in
addition to their "regular" modems.



--
Posted via a free Usenet account from http://www.teranews.com


Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 07-17-2007, 11:41 PM
John Navas
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Using your Cingular 2125, 3125 or 8125 as a PC modem.

On Thu, 05 Jul 2007 01:54:09 -0500, matman70@aol-dot-com.no-spam.invalid
(stealthknight89) wrote in
<R5ednU39BZMMCBHbnZ2dnUVZ_qGjnZ2d@giganews.com>:

>[HUGE SNIP]


Please trim your quotes. Thank you.

--
Best regards, FAQ FOR CINGULAR WIRELESS:
John Navas <http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Cingular_Wireless_FAQ>

Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 07-18-2007, 12:33 AM
John Navas
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Using your Cingular 2125, 3125 or 8125 as a PC modem.

On Tue, 17 Jul 2007 20:10:39 -0400, "Elmo P. Shagnasty"
<elmop@nastydesigns.com> wrote in
<elmop-EC057F.20103917072007@nntp1.usenetserver.com>:

>In article <atkq939t1ahamn3p0sfakt17tv4qhhvkt0@4ax.com>,
> John Navas <spamfilter1@navasgroup.com> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 05 Jul 2007 01:54:09 -0500, matman70@aol-dot-com.no-spam.invalid
>> (stealthknight89) wrote in
>> <R5ednU39BZMMCBHbnZ2dnUVZ_qGjnZ2d@giganews.com>:
>>
>> >[HUGE SNIP]

>>
>> Please trim your quotes. Thank you.

>
>Please trim your posts. To zero.
>
>Thank you.


Please get a life and stop trolling. Thank you.

--
Best regards, FAQ FOR CINGULAR WIRELESS:
John Navas <http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Cingular_Wireless_FAQ>

Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 07-23-2007, 05:37 AM
stealthknight89
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Using your Cingular 2125, 3125 or 8125 as a PC modem.


> > Unless stated, the following information does not represent the

authors
> > opinion or ideas, this information is presented as a composite

for
> > information freely available on the web.... sources are provided

where
> > possible.....
> >
> >
> > This article describes how to use the ModemLink feature on your
> > Microsoft Windows Mobile 5 based phone over a Cingular's MediaNET
> > Unlimited account, which at the time of this writing is an great

value
> > at $20-month for unlimited Internet usage over Cingular's EDGE

(G2)
> > network.
> >
> > STEPS TO SETUP
> > These steps are required the first time you wish to use the

SmartPhone
> > as a modem.
> >
> > 1. If you don't already have a MediaNET account, contact Cingular

or
> > walk into a Cingular outlet and request the MediaNET Unlimited

for
> > SmartPhones be added to your account. They may tell you the 8125
> > doesn't qualify for the SmartPhone pricing since it's not a PDA,

this
> > is a common inconsistancy in Cingular's service, you can call and

add
> > the MediaNET unlimited service without problem.
> >
> > 2. Install the HTC USB modem driver supplied with the phone

(it's on
> > the getting started CD). If you do not have the CD you can obtain

the
> > driver from the HTC website: http://www.htcamerica.net
> >
> > 3. On the phone, "click" Start, More, More browse until

you find the
> > Accessories folder, click on that folder and you'll find

Calculator,
> > Download Agrent, ModemLink, etc... "click" on ModemLink
> >
> > 3. Plug the phone into the USB cable, connect it to the laptop
> >
> > 4. Let ActiveSync finish, then close it.
> >
> > 5. On the ModemLink properties screen, make sure for Connection:

USB is
> > selected (IrCOMM is default), baud rate will be greyed out and

default
> > to unused (ok), For access point name enter: wap.cingular. When

all
> > settings are correct, select Activate
> >
> > 4. On the PC, go to Control Panel, Network Connections and create

a new
> > network connection. A connection "wizard" will pop up.

The wizard will
> > be a set of steps, each step providing a Next button. The steps

using
> > Windows XP or XP with Service Pack 2 are as follows:
> >
> > For Step 1: Connect to Internet
> > For Step 2: Set up my connection manually
> > For Step 3: Connect using a dial-up modem
> > For Step 4: Enter "Cingular" for ISP name (any name

will actually work)
> > For Step 5: Enter *99# for the phone number
> > For Step 6: Enter WAP@CINGULARGPRS.COM for username and CINGULAR1

as
> > the password
> >
> > Once the wizard completes you'll need to Control Panel, open up

"Phones
> > and Modem Options", click on the "Modems" tab and

select "HTC Modem" go
> > Properties and then Advanced Properties. For "Extra

Initialization
> > Commands" past the following text.
> >
> > AT+CGDCONT=1,"IP","WAP.CINGULAR"
> >
> > You're all done with the setup.
> >
> >
> > TO CONNECT TO THE INTERNET USING YOUR SMARTPHONE
> >
> > 1. Open up the ModemLink application on the phone and select

"Activate"
> > to put the phone in "modem" mode
> >
> > 2. Connect the USB cable from the PC to the phone
> >
> > 3. Go to Control Panel, Network Connections... Select the

"Cingular"
> > connection you created (will be listed under Dial-up),

right-click and
> > select "Connect". That's it! You should enjoy EDGE

connect speeds
> > between 200-300 kbps. Access is limited to MediaNET coverage.
> >
> > TROUBLESHOOTING STEPS
> >
> > If you have problems connecting, try powering down the phone.

Take the
> > battery out to reset it if you must. Once the phone restarts, put

it to
> > Modem Link Active mode and try again.
> >
> >
> >
> > DISCLAIMERS, ETC...
> >
> > Regarding if this process is authorized by Cingular, the answer

is
> > unclear but properly not relevant. In an e-mail exchange with

someone
> > who claimed to be a Microsoft mobile engineer (I have to say

claimed
> > because I can't verify, but he sounded knowledgable) I was told

that
> > the ModemLink software abstracts the data from the service

provider, in
> > other words Cingular can't tell (or more importantly, can't

prove) when
> > you're using a Windows Mobile 5 SmartPhone and ModemLink as a

tethered
> > device, as long as you log into their MediaNet server

(WAP.CINGULAR).
> >
> > From an ethical and legal stand point you have nothing to worry

about.
> >

> GUEST wrote:
>
> Consider that when you pay for MediaNET you are paying for

unlimited
> Internet connectivity over Cingular's WAP gateway. You are paying

for
> data access at (limited) WAP speeds and just because your device

has
> the capability to serve WAP data to a PC doesn't mean Cingular has

a
> right to stop you from doing this (as I will point out, they have

not).
> It's a feature of your SmartPhone, it's not cheating Cingular.
>
> ModemLink is an advertised and documented feature of the 8125,

2125,
> 3125, etc.. it's available on every Windows Mobile 5 SmartPhone

solid
> in the US (source: Microsoft Windows Mobile 5 architecture and
> developers guide)
>
> If you want faster connect speeds for you laptop or PDA, consider a
> laptop card and a subscription to Cingular's PDA data connect

package.
> You'll pay considerably more, but you will have access to their
> ISP.CINGULAR gateway. WARNING: The Cingular 3125's Users Manual
> instructs you to use ISP.CINGULAR for your gateway when configuring
> modem link, this will likely result in "PDA Data Connect"

plan rates or
> disconnect if you have not signed up for a PDA Data connect

package.
>
> Although it's not documented in the Users Manual, you can use the

steps
> above to connect to the WAP.CINGULAR gateway using your 3125

without
> any problems. If you call Cingular support you may get conflicting
> information. I was told by a Cingular support rep that if you pay

for
> MediaNET account you get access to Cingular's WAP gateway and that

they
> do not audit what you do with the data you obtain through that

network
> or how often you are accessing it, to quote the rep "you are

paying for
> unlimited access... we do not audit your usage on the WAP gateway

with
> MediaNET". Of course Cingular has their overpriced laptop PDA

data
> connect service they want to try and push, so they aren't too open
> about how to "tether" over their WAP gateway.
>
> How can you be certain all of this is true? Worried that Cingular

will
> bill you extra or cut you off? Don't! All of the information in the
> post is a composite of data gathered from multiple sources. The

origin
> of this material seems to be from this blog entry from an imfamous
> Microsoft Software Engineer Mike Poulson, that blog entry is still
> on-line.
>
> http://blogs.msdn.com/mpoulson/archi...17/514017.aspx
>
> I had an e-mail exchange with Mr. Poulson a few months ago and he
> confirmed that Cingular has taken no action against him or

Microsoft
> for that blog entry (you have to consider, his blog appeared on a
> Microsoft sponsored blog, inadvertently his comments represent
> Microsoft, if this were a big deal there swords would have risen,

but
> that didn't happen). Mr. Poulson also confirmed that he has never

had
> any additional charges on his bill for data services.
>
> I have personally been using this method for the past two months

with
> no problems with billing. During my first month I even streamed

video
> (as best one can stream video at 230-kbps) and left the connect

going
> for over eight hours, Cingular did not disconnect or bill me beyond

the
> $20 MediaNET Unlimited account.
>
> Before engaging in WAP tethering using a SmartPhone, I sought out
> responses from this newsgroup and others. I looking for people with
> billing issues or service disconnect that could be unquestionably

tied
> to WAP tethering over MediaNet, no one has reported this happening

and
> if you search there web there isn't a single reported case.
>
> All evidence seems to point to the way these devices have been
> designed, prevents Cingular from regulating their use in this way.

So
> while the disclaimer is always "do at your own risk",

know that
> this is sound and has been proven.


Is there a way to call
numbers on my Garmin Que M5 over bluetooth with my 3125?


Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old 08-22-2007, 08:44 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 0
Default

Yes, www . teranews . com is really functional enouth to study.
Reply With Quote
Reply


« R472_G_08.18.55R firmware for Motorola V551 (R472 series) | NEWS: European Vendors for iPhone selected »
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
FAQ for Cingular Wireless John Navas alt.cellular.cingular 0 04-03-2007 12:30 AM
FAQ for Cingular Wireless John Navas alt.cellular.cingular 0 01-16-2007 04:53 AM
FAQ for Cingular Wireless John Navas alt.cellular.cingular 3 12-22-2006 04:31 PM
Connecting a Cingular 3125 to a PC Viper alt.cellular.cingular 0 12-10-2006 04:19 PM
FAQ for Cingular Wireless John Navas alt.cellular.cingular 0 09-18-2006 04:25 PM


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:27 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45