Go Back   Wireless and Wifi Forums > Cellular Communications > Nokia > alt.cellular.nokia
Register FAQ Forum Rules Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Advertise Mark Forums Read

 
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 11-24-2006, 01:01 PM
UM
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default GPRS IP addressing

Hi,

I posted the following message to alt.cellular.gsm but this newsgroups
seems to be more active. Apologies for double posting.

I would like to know about GPRS IP addresses. In theory every handset
has an IP address (if GPRS connection is activated), but in practice
unique IP address requires high number of IP addresses and there is
already shortage of IP addresses.

So I was wondering, if GPRS networks are NAT subnets like WiFi we use
at home.

What about 3G IP addresses?

Any comments on GPRS IP addressing would be helpful.

Regards,

UM


Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 11-24-2006, 01:16 PM
J.O. Aho
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: GPRS IP addressing

UM wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I posted the following message to alt.cellular.gsm but this newsgroups
> seems to be more active. Apologies for double posting.
>
> I would like to know about GPRS IP addresses. In theory every handset
> has an IP address (if GPRS connection is activated), but in practice
> unique IP address requires high number of IP addresses and there is
> already shortage of IP addresses.


Yes, but there are reserved ip-ranges released to usage and of course the
IPv6, not that widely used yet.


> So I was wondering, if GPRS networks are NAT subnets like WiFi we use
> at home.
> What about 3G IP addresses?


This depends on the operator, they could nat, but my operator gives a fully
working ip-number, it's of course provided with help of dhcp and not every
cellular user is constantly connected to the inet, which makes that you can
manage all you subscribers with a lower number of ip-numbers than how many
users there are.


//Aho

Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 11-24-2006, 01:43 PM
UM
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: GPRS IP addressing


> Yes, but there are reserved ip-ranges released to usage and of course the
> IPv6, not that widely used yet.
>


>
> This depends on the operator, they could nat, but my operator gives a fully
> working ip-number, it's of course provided with help of dhcp and not every
> cellular user is constantly connected to the inet, which makes that you can
> manage all you subscribers with a lower number of ip-numbers than how many
> users there are.



That's what I thought. Although, there are millions even billions of
subscribers not many of them are connected. Managing IP range shouldn't
be a problem.

What about 3G and IPv6? In theory, 3G should be always on but from my
experience with my 3G phone internet wasn't always on.

3G internet is almost the same as GPRS, ie, go to the browser and wait
for it to connect. Obviously, the carrier is different but from TCP/IP
point of view 3G connection establishment is identical to GPRS?

Thanks for your reply...

UM


Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 11-24-2006, 03:47 PM
J.O. Aho
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: GPRS IP addressing

UM wrote:

> What about 3G and IPv6? In theory, 3G should be always on but from my
> experience with my 3G phone internet wasn't always on.


I'm not sure if the 3G phones uses IPv6, I think we still have only IPv4 in
cellulars, you know they want to have something "new" for 4G phones

But it's really just a question about a minor firmware upgrade to make a
cellular to use IPv6 instead of IPv4, if it don't already support it/both.


> 3G internet is almost the same as GPRS, ie, go to the browser and wait
> for it to connect. Obviously, the carrier is different but from TCP/IP
> point of view 3G connection establishment is identical to GPRS?


Yeah, from the protocol point of view it's the same, seen that those Series60
phones with which you can use tcp/ip over bluetooth you need a pppd on the
computer out over the dhcpd.

There isn't any major differences between IPv4 and IPv6, except the larger
amount of possible ip-numbers with IPv6.


Anyhow as soon as we managed to switch over to IPv6, we will not have problems
with ip-numbers not being enough, think everyone on earth could have far over
100 devices each that had their own ip-number (correct me if I remember it wrong).


One thing I got to think of, you remember all those dial-up modem pools for
internet that people had to use back in the old days, I think many of those
ip-numbers are freed today, both for broadband and for 3G/GPRS based internet
connections.


//Aho

Reply With Quote
Reply


« Nokia E70 | Important Information »
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
GPRS Attach at power-on! nabeel@gmail.com uk.telecom.mobile 0 04-05-2007 11:41 AM
N80 - Swap between 3G and GPRS? justink@kingjr.co.uk alt.cellular.nokia 5 01-26-2007 07:18 AM
GPRS IP addressing UM uk.telecom.mobile 7 11-25-2006 12:25 AM
O2 online GPRS billing confusion Si uk.telecom.mobile 1 11-17-2006 07:00 PM
SPV C550 GPRS reconnection problem... Steve Henson uk.telecom.mobile 0 09-19-2006 11:49 PM


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:27 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45