Go Back   Wireless and Wifi Forums > Cellular Communications > US Networks > alt.cellular.t-mobile
Register FAQ Forum Rules Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Advertise Mark Forums Read

 
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 03-04-2008, 11:18 PM
Todd Allcock
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default BETA Testers needed for MyGlobalTalk.com: a cheap cellular international LD service

And yes, Oxford- this will work on your iPhone! ;-)

Voicestick, a VoIP company with a cellular "bridge" service (you dial your
own VoIP number from your cellphone and get a dial tone to dial
internationally at VoIP rates) is offering free beta accounts (with $10 of
LD credit) of their new "MyGlobalTalk" service.

Details can be found at this thread on the dslreports forum, where Bruce
Niklin, Voicestick's VP hangs out:
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r200...t-of-MyGlobalT

They are taking credit card numbers to limit the number of free accounts you
can sign up for (they had major abuse problems on a similar promo a year or
two ago) but if you any international calling, think of this as a free $10
LD card. They have software for WinMo phones that automates the dialing
process (the phone detects international numbers, intercepts the dialing
sequence and dials your access number first) but any phone can use the
account by dialing the access number manually and then the international
number. (Obviously you can program the whole sequence into your phone's
memory dialing.)

Bruce says they need a couple hundred more testers so grab an account if you
can use it. Voicestick's a neat little outfit trying to find a niche in the
crowded VoIP world.






Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 03-04-2008, 11:31 PM
George
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: BETA Testers needed for MyGlobalTalk.com: a cheap cellular internationalLD service

Todd Allcock wrote:
>
>
> Bruce says they need a couple hundred more testers so grab an account if
> you can use it. Voicestick's a neat little outfit trying to find a
> niche in the crowded VoIP world.
>
>

I like innovation but unless I am missing something I don't think there
is anything unique about this since I can do the same thing with the
VoIP provider I already use.

Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 03-05-2008, 12:07 AM
SMS
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: BETA Testers needed for MyGlobalTalk.com: a cheap cellular internationalLD service

Todd Allcock wrote:
> And yes, Oxford- this will work on your iPhone! ;-)
>
> Voicestick, a VoIP company with a cellular "bridge" service (you dial
> your own VoIP number from your cellphone and get a dial tone to dial
> internationally at VoIP rates) is offering free beta accounts (with $10
> of LD credit) of their new "MyGlobalTalk" service.
>
> Details can be found at this thread on the dslreports forum, where Bruce
> Niklin, Voicestick's VP hangs out:
> http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r200...t-of-MyGlobalT
>
>
> They are taking credit card numbers to limit the number of free accounts
> you can sign up for (they had major abuse problems on a similar promo a
> year or two ago) but if you any international calling, think of this as
> a free $10 LD card. They have software for WinMo phones that automates
> the dialing process (the phone detects international numbers, intercepts
> the dialing sequence and dials your access number first) but any phone
> can use the account by dialing the access number manually and then the
> international number. (Obviously you can program the whole sequence
> into your phone's memory dialing.)
>
> Bruce says they need a couple hundred more testers so grab an account if
> you can use it. Voicestick's a neat little outfit trying to find a
> niche in the crowded VoIP world.


What is the advantage of "MyGlobalTalk" versus Voicestick with i2Bridge™?

Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 03-05-2008, 12:15 AM
Todd Allcock
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: BETA Testers needed for MyGlobalTalk.com: a cheap cellular international LDservice

At 04 Mar 2008 17:07:03 -0800 SMS wrote:


> What is the advantage of "MyGlobalTalk" versus Voicestick with i2Bridgeâ„¢?


The way they've explained it, is that the phone numbers issued will not
accept incoming calls- they'll be for bridging only, so you won't have to
pay for the incoming leg of the call like with Voicestick (with
Voicestick's bridge, you pay 1-cent/minute for the incoming call to the
bridge, plus what ever the LD cost to the chosen destination is.) Also,
MGT will have no monthly fees or minimums, whereas Voicestick is charging a
$1 minimum monthly fee to help cover E911 fee and DID costs.


Eventually MGT wants to release a Java app to automate the bridge dialing,
but so far only has it for WinMo.




Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 03-05-2008, 01:57 AM
SMS
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: BETA Testers needed for MyGlobalTalk.com: a cheap cellular internationalLD service

Todd Allcock wrote:
> At 04 Mar 2008 17:07:03 -0800 SMS wrote:
>
>> What is the advantage of "MyGlobalTalk" versus Voicestick with i2Bridgeâ„¢?

>
> The way they've explained it, is that the phone numbers issued will not
> accept incoming calls- they'll be for bridging only, so you won't have to
> pay for the incoming leg of the call like with Voicestick (with
> Voicestick's bridge, you pay 1-cent/minute for the incoming call to the
> bridge, plus what ever the LD cost to the chosen destination is.) Also,
> MGT will have no monthly fees or minimums, whereas Voicestick is charging a
> $1 minimum monthly fee to help cover E911 fee and DID costs.
>
>
> Eventually MGT wants to release a Java app to automate the bridge dialing,
> but so far only has it for WinMo.


Okay, well I guess that makes sense. I've only ever used Voicestick for
bridging and never even thought about using it as a VOIP phone.

There also appear to be no minimums on MyGlobalTalk.

MyGlobalTalk doesn't have a speed dial option.

It'd be nice to be able to dump OneSuite, but OneSuite still has some
advantages as a global calling plan, especially their international
access numbers.

Amusing that he's now promoting using Sprint to Home, My Faves, etc.
with his service. Unlimited cell phone service for about $30/month plus
2¢ per minute.

Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 03-05-2008, 02:26 AM
Todd Allcock
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: BETA Testers needed for MyGlobalTalk.com: a cheap cellular international LD service



"SMS" <scharf.steven@geemail.com> wrote in message
news:47ce0b69$0$36368$742ec2ed@news.sonic.net...
> Amusing that he's now promoting using Sprint to Home, My Faves, etc. with
> his service. Unlimited cell phone service for about $30/month plus 2¢ per
> minute.


Or, on the Voicestick $19.99 Unlimited plan, unlimited cell service for
$50/month... At least until you get "ToS"sed, anyway! ;-)













Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 03-05-2008, 03:12 AM
Larry
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: BETA Testers needed for MyGlobalTalk.com: a cheap cellular international LD service

"Todd Allcock" <elecconnec@AmericaOnLine.com> wrote in
news:2Flzj.28932$Xo1.3663@fe085.usenetserver.com:

> Bruce says they need a couple hundred more testers so grab an account
> if you can use it. Voicestick's a neat little outfit trying to find a
> niche in the crowded VoIP world.
>
>


There used to be an interesting thread about using Mobivox to make free
phone calls between Mobivox users anywhere Mobivox serves from any kind of
phone, but I see the VoIP companies had that declared as spam and removed.
There's another thread talking about the removal, now. There is ONE Skype
thread, but it's short. Skype has their own forums that are much more
populated than DSLReports.


Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 03-05-2008, 03:45 AM
Todd Allcock
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: BETA Testers needed for MyGlobalTalk.com: a cheap cellular international LDservice

At 05 Mar 2008 04:12:26 +0000 Larry wrote:

> There used to be an interesting thread about using Mobivox to make free
> phone calls between Mobivox users anywhere Mobivox serves from any kind

of
> phone, but I see the VoIP companies had that declared as spam and removed.


There re no "VoIP companies" in control of DSLReports. I assume (knowing
full well what they say when you assume!) the post broke a forum rule (like
posting a referral link. That's a HUGE no no at DSLR. Does Mobivox do
referrals?)

> There's another thread talking about the removal, now.


That one hasn't been removed, and also explains the free calling thing, so
I doubt the removal was anti-Mobivox.

> There is ONE Skype
> thread, but it's short. Skype has their own forums that are much more
> populated than DSLReports.


Yeah, the VoIP forums at DSLR are pretty down on Skype- it's per minute
rate is pretty high vs. other VoIPs, and it's non-standard, so it doesn't
work with the SIP-compliant ATAs, Asterisk servers, etc. that the DSLR guys
typically play with. The hard-core VoIPers seem to see Skype as the "AOL"
of VoIP.





Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 03-05-2008, 04:23 AM
Todd Allcock
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: BETA Testers needed for MyGlobalTalk.com: a cheap cellular international LDservice

At 04 Mar 2008 18:57:40 -0800 SMS wrote:

> Okay, well I guess that makes sense. I've only ever used Voicestick
> for bridging and never even thought about using it as a VOIP phone.



I have an ATA setup for Voicestick, mostly for outbound LD faxing. While
VoIP and fax generally don't mix, VS uses a pretty wide bandwidth codec and
faxing works well (for VoIP anyway!)


> There also appear to be no minimums on MyGlobalTalk.



Voicestick didn't have any at first, either! ;-)


> MyGlobalTalk doesn't have a speed dial option.



They probably feel it's unnecessary given the supposed niche of the
service. It's designed to be a bridge for a single phone (you have to
register the number for the bridge to work)- not as a OneSuite-like pinless
calling card. I assume that they expect you to store memory numbers in the
cellphone memory. The beauty of OneSuite's speed dial is that you're
allowed, and expected, to use it from any phone, so your phone's memory
might not be with you.


> It'd be nice to be able to dump OneSuite, but OneSuite still has some
> advantages as a global calling plan, especially their international access
> numbers.


True.




Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 03-05-2008, 01:12 PM
SMS
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: BETA Testers needed for MyGlobalTalk.com: a cheap cellular internationalLD service

Todd Allcock wrote:

> Yeah, the VoIP forums at DSLR are pretty down on Skype- it's per minute
> rate is pretty high vs. other VoIPs, and it's non-standard, so it doesn't
> work with the SIP-compliant ATAs, Asterisk servers, etc. that the DSLR guys
> typically play with. The hard-core VoIPers seem to see Skype as the "AOL"
> of VoIP.


Skype (other than free Skype to Skype calls) is a not a great deal
compared to other VOIP providers. It _does_ remind me of AOL (is AOL
even still around, I no longer get any CDs from them?).

Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old 03-05-2008, 01:43 PM
Todd Allcock
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: BETA Testers needed for MyGlobalTalk.com: a cheap cellular international LDservice

At 05 Mar 2008 06:12:49 -0800 SMS wrote:

> Skype (other than free Skype to Skype calls) is a not a great deal

compared to other VOIP providers. It _does_ remind me of AOL (is AOL even
still around, I no longer get any CDs from them?).


Actually AOL IS still around and has completely reinvented themselves,
after being beat up pretty good by consumers' general shift from dial-up to
broadband. They're now, IMHO, the best free e-mail provider around,
(including the guys like Yahoo, GMail, etc.) They offer completely free
standard IMAP accounts, usable with standard e-mail clients like Outlook,
which works great on mobile devices.

They still offer dial-up service with their goofy proprietary software, but
now at PeoplePC/Netzero type pricing- $10/month.




Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old 03-05-2008, 02:21 PM
Larry
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: BETA Testers needed for MyGlobalTalk.com: a cheap cellular international LD service

Todd Allcock <elecconnec@AmericaOnLine.com> wrote in
news:q8qzj.26233$C%3.754@fe111.usenetserver.com:

> Yeah, the VoIP forums at DSLR are pretty down on Skype- it's per
> minute rate is pretty high vs. other VoIPs, and it's non-standard, so
> it doesn't work with the SIP-compliant ATAs, Asterisk servers, etc.
> that the DSLR guys typically play with. The hard-core VoIPers seem to
> see Skype as the "AOL" of VoIP.
>
>


Free is too high?? $US36/YEAR is too high? What VoIP company will let
me call USA/Canada incl AK, HI, and PR for $3/month and no other
charges? This also includes calling FROM:

"Available in Argentina (Buenos Aires and Cordoba only), Australia,
Austria, Belgium, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France (Metropolitan only),
Germany, Greece, Guam, Hong Kong, Hungary, Ireland, Israel, Italy,
Luxembourg, Mexico (Mexico City and Monterrey only), Netherlands, New
Zealand, Norway, Portugal, Puerto Rico, Singapore, Spain, Sweden, Taiwan
and the UK (01 and 02 numbers only)."

....for only a small per-call connection fee to pay the local phone for
the connection.

Can you call home from New Zealand and talk for an hour for only a
connection fee?

Skype Pro is one helluva bargain, even if you don't consider all the
amazing free services of skype-to-skype with full motion video and the
other toys.

What they DON'T like is Skype's competition. What they DON'T like is
Skype's security the "standard", off-the-shelf, server-based VoIP
providers don't have.

Skype used to be the VoIP joke....but no more. Considering all the
freebies Skype doesn't charge for and the really cheap in-country phone
services, $US0.021/min is really cheap to overseas. I didn't spend $10
all year over the Skype Pro fee because my overseas calls are mostly to
Skypers, which is always free.

Skype doesn't need to operate with "the SIP-compliant ATAs, Asterisk
servers, etc. It's distributed system functions quite well on its own.

http://www.skype.com/allfeatures/skypepro/
They even gave me a 60% discount on my two Skype In POTS numbers in
Charleston and London, this year. I don't see how they do it. It's SO
cheap!

Unlimited phone service TO AND FROM my Nokia N800 Linux tablet is only
$36 out and $24/number in PER YEAR! With phone numbers in Charleston
and England I'm paying $7/month AND THAT'S ALL!


Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old 03-05-2008, 02:30 PM
Larry
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: BETA Testers needed for MyGlobalTalk.com: a cheap cellular international LD service

SMS <scharf.steven@geemail.com> wrote in news:47cea9a9$0$36367
$742ec2ed@news.sonic.net:

> Skype (other than free Skype to Skype calls) is a not a great deal
> compared to other VOIP providers. It _does_ remind me of AOL (is AOL
> even still around, I no longer get any CDs from them?).
>
>


How much are you paying for incoming and outgoing VoIP per month to call
any phone/sellphone in the USA/Canada with virtually unlimited service?

If I only had the one phone number, here, it would be $5/month with no
other fees/tax loads/connection fees or other nonsense.

(Someone's bound to mention Skype's imposable fair use "limit" of 3000
minutes per month. This is reserved by Skype, but, so far, is not
enforced. I know Skypers using twice that much that haven't been charged
extra. Most won't talk over 50 hours per month, except maybe for teenage
girls...(c

Is your service less than $5/month with no per minute or per connection
fees?


Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old 03-05-2008, 03:27 PM
George
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: BETA Testers needed for MyGlobalTalk.com: a cheap cellular internationalLD service

Todd Allcock wrote:
> At 05 Mar 2008 06:12:49 -0800 SMS wrote:
>
>> Skype (other than free Skype to Skype calls) is a not a great deal

> compared to other VOIP providers. It _does_ remind me of AOL (is AOL even
> still around, I no longer get any CDs from them?).
>
>
> Actually AOL IS still around and has completely reinvented themselves,
> after being beat up pretty good by consumers' general shift from dial-up to
> broadband. They're now, IMHO, the best free e-mail provider around,
> (including the guys like Yahoo, GMail, etc.) They offer completely free
> standard IMAP accounts, usable with standard e-mail clients like Outlook,
> which works great on mobile devices.
>
> They still offer dial-up service with their goofy proprietary software, but
> now at PeoplePC/Netzero type pricing- $10/month.
>
>
>

Maybe, but I would be embarrassed to be "someone@aol.com".

Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old 03-05-2008, 03:39 PM
SMS
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: BETA Testers needed for MyGlobalTalk.com: a cheap cellular internationalLD service

George wrote:
> Todd Allcock wrote:
>> At 05 Mar 2008 06:12:49 -0800 SMS wrote:
>>
>>> Skype (other than free Skype to Skype calls) is a not a great deal

>> compared to other VOIP providers. It _does_ remind me of AOL (is AOL even
>> still around, I no longer get any CDs from them?).
>>
>>
>> Actually AOL IS still around and has completely reinvented themselves,
>> after being beat up pretty good by consumers' general shift from
>> dial-up to
>> broadband. They're now, IMHO, the best free e-mail provider around,
>> (including the guys like Yahoo, GMail, etc.) They offer completely free
>> standard IMAP accounts, usable with standard e-mail clients like Outlook,
>> which works great on mobile devices.
>>
>> They still offer dial-up service with their goofy proprietary
>> software, but
>> now at PeoplePC/Netzero type pricing- $10/month.
>>
>>
>>

> Maybe, but I would be embarrassed to be "someone@aol.com".


They have some other options for the
domain."http://domains.aol.com/?ncid=AOLCMP00300000000130"

Reply With Quote
  #16 (permalink)  
Old 03-05-2008, 03:58 PM
Dutch
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: BETA Testers needed for MyGlobalTalk.com: a cheap cellular international LD service

While dumping the
alt.cellular,alt.cellular.attws,alt.cellular.t-mobile,alt.cellular.verizon,alt.cellular.sprintpcs
bit bucket, I heard Todd Allcock say:

> At 05 Mar 2008 06:12:49 -0800 SMS wrote:
>
>> Skype (other than free Skype to Skype calls) is a not a great deal

> compared to other VOIP providers. It _does_ remind me of AOL (is AOL even
> still around, I no longer get any CDs from them?).
>
> Actually AOL IS still around and has completely reinvented themselves,
> after being beat up pretty good by consumers' general shift from dial-up to
> broadband. They're now, IMHO, the best free e-mail provider around,
> (including the guys like Yahoo, GMail, etc.) They offer completely free
> standard IMAP accounts, usable with standard e-mail clients like Outlook,
> which works great on mobile devices.

[...]

What do they offer that GMail doesn't? The Sprint email client works
just fine with GMail and most other standard IMAP or POP accounts.

--
Dutch

Reply With Quote
  #17 (permalink)  
Old 03-05-2008, 04:24 PM
Todd Allcock
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: BETA Testers needed for MyGlobalTalk.com: a cheap cellular international LD service



"Dutch" <buryit@blackholespam.net> wrote in message
news:1whtre4pguhid$.dlg@blackholespam.net...
>> Actually AOL IS still around and has completely reinvented themselves,
>> after being beat up pretty good by consumers' general shift from dial-up
>> to
>> broadband. They're now, IMHO, the best free e-mail provider around,
>> (including the guys like Yahoo, GMail, etc.) They offer completely free
>> standard IMAP accounts, usable with standard e-mail clients like Outlook,
>> which works great on mobile devices.

> [...]
>
> What do they offer that GMail doesn't? The Sprint email client works
> just fine with GMail and most other standard IMAP or POP accounts.



GMail's fine too- I've got nothing against it, except that they came very
late to the party. AOL has supported IMAP since 2003- a lot longer than
GMail's been around and certainly a lot longer than they've supported IMAP.
In addition, GMail's POP and IMAP protocol is non-standard, and a little
flakey with some mobile devices- certainly not unusable, but requires a
little more TLC, particularly on WinMo devices. Read e-mails move out of
the IMAP Inbox (and into an "All Mail" subfolder.) GMail's POP is an
absolute mess as far as incompatibility with the standard (retrieved e-mail
stays on the server regardless of your "remove from server" settings, for
example.)

AOL's IMAP implementation is far more standard, (but not without it's own
quirks- you can't create folders in the top level- only as subfolders, and
you can't move messages from other accounts into the AOL inbox for storage.)

In my case, AOL's recent changes worked great for me- I've had my same
e-mail addresses (in my case, AOL) for as long as I've used e-mail- over
fifteen years (how many people can say that?), and dumped AOL's overpriced
dial-up plans for their $5/month limited web access (but unlimited e-mail)
plan years ago even before they first started using IMAP. (Prior to that I
was using a 3rd-party solution called AOL2POP to convert AOL's proprietary
e-mail protocol to POP3, allowing use of Outlook or other e-mail clients
instead of AOL's Web-for-Dummies software.) Dropping the $5/month fee to
free over a year ago was just icing on the cake. Their webmail interface is
ad-supported like Google's, but the IMAP e-mail is ad-free (also like
Google.)


















Reply With Quote
  #18 (permalink)  
Old 03-05-2008, 04:40 PM
Dutch
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: BETA Testers needed for MyGlobalTalk.com: a cheap cellular international LD service

While dumping the
alt.cellular,alt.cellular.attws,alt.cellular.t-mobile,alt.cellular.verizon,alt.cellular.sprintpcs
bit bucket, I heard Todd Allcock say:

> "Dutch" <buryit@blackholespam.net> wrote in message
> news:1whtre4pguhid$.dlg@blackholespam.net...
>>> Actually AOL IS still around and has completely reinvented themselves,
>>> after being beat up pretty good by consumers' general shift from dial-up
>>> to
>>> broadband. They're now, IMHO, the best free e-mail provider around,
>>> (including the guys like Yahoo, GMail, etc.) They offer completely free
>>> standard IMAP accounts, usable with standard e-mail clients like Outlook,
>>> which works great on mobile devices.

>> [...]
>>
>> What do they offer that GMail doesn't? The Sprint email client works
>> just fine with GMail and most other standard IMAP or POP accounts.

>
> GMail's fine too- I've got nothing against it, except that they came very
> late to the party. AOL has supported IMAP since 2003- a lot longer than
> GMail's been around and certainly a lot longer than they've supported IMAP.
> In addition, GMail's POP and IMAP protocol is non-standard, and a little
> flakey with some mobile devices- certainly not unusable, but requires a
> little more TLC, particularly on WinMo devices. Read e-mails move out of
> the IMAP Inbox (and into an "All Mail" subfolder.) GMail's POP is an
> absolute mess as far as incompatibility with the standard (retrieved e-mail
> stays on the server regardless of your "remove from server" settings, for
> example.)
>
> AOL's IMAP implementation is far more standard, (but not without it's own
> quirks- you can't create folders in the top level- only as subfolders, and
> you can't move messages from other accounts into the AOL inbox for storage.)
>
> In my case, AOL's recent changes worked great for me- I've had my same
> e-mail addresses (in my case, AOL) for as long as I've used e-mail- over
> fifteen years (how many people can say that?), and dumped AOL's overpriced
> dial-up plans for their $5/month limited web access (but unlimited e-mail)
> plan years ago even before they first started using IMAP. (Prior to that I
> was using a 3rd-party solution called AOL2POP to convert AOL's proprietary
> e-mail protocol to POP3, allowing use of Outlook or other e-mail clients
> instead of AOL's Web-for-Dummies software.) Dropping the $5/month fee to
> free over a year ago was just icing on the cake. Their webmail interface is
> ad-supported like Google's, but the IMAP e-mail is ad-free (also like
> Google.)


Ok, thanks for the comprehensive comparison, Todd. I haven't looked at
AOL in years, and primarily just use GMail to route my own domain
addresses through their excellent spam filters. I haven't run into any
problems using GMail on my V3m, but since I typically only access it to
find something in my archives, I don't really exercise all the options
very much.

--
Dutch

Reply With Quote
  #19 (permalink)  
Old 03-05-2008, 04:45 PM
Richard B. Gilbert
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: BETA Testers needed for MyGlobalTalk.com: a cheap cellular internationalLD service

George wrote:
> Todd Allcock wrote:
>
>> At 05 Mar 2008 06:12:49 -0800 SMS wrote:
>>
>>> Skype (other than free Skype to Skype calls) is a not a great deal

>>
>> compared to other VOIP providers. It _does_ remind me of AOL (is AOL even
>> still around, I no longer get any CDs from them?).
>>
>>
>> Actually AOL IS still around and has completely reinvented themselves,
>> after being beat up pretty good by consumers' general shift from
>> dial-up to
>> broadband. They're now, IMHO, the best free e-mail provider around,
>> (including the guys like Yahoo, GMail, etc.) They offer completely free
>> standard IMAP accounts, usable with standard e-mail clients like Outlook,
>> which works great on mobile devices.
>>
>> They still offer dial-up service with their goofy proprietary
>> software, but
>> now at PeoplePC/Netzero type pricing- $10/month.
>>
>>
>>

> Maybe, but I would be embarrassed to be "someone@aol.com".


As you well should be! The proper way to spell "AOL" is to interpolate
the letters SSHE. It's traditionally the home of the utterly clueless.


Reply With Quote
  #20 (permalink)  
Old 03-05-2008, 05:03 PM
Todd Allcock
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: BETA Testers needed for MyGlobalTalk.com: a cheap cellular international LD service



"Larry" <noone@home.com> wrote in message
news:Xns9A586A32A4074noonehomecom@208.49.80.253...

>> Yeah, the VoIP forums at DSLR are pretty down on Skype- it's per
>> minute rate is pretty high vs. other VoIPs, and it's non-standard, so
>> it doesn't work with the SIP-compliant ATAs, Asterisk servers, etc.
>> that the DSLR guys typically play with. The hard-core VoIPers seem to
>> see Skype as the "AOL" of VoIP.

>
> Free is too high?? $US36/YEAR is too high? What VoIP company will let
> me call USA/Canada incl AK, HI, and PR for $3/month and no other
> charges? This also includes calling FROM:



MagicJack offers unlimited incoming/outgoing for $20 year. Enjoy it while
it lasts, of course- neither their price nor Skype's are sustainable
indefinitely You can't sell something under cost and make it up with
volume! Skype still hasn't figured out how to make money at VoIP despite
giving away the farm. I don't know how true it is, but the last figure I
read on line was that they haven't averaged a nickel per user per month yet.
Puts that cellphone $50 ARPU in perspective!

As to overpriced, I'm talking about the casual pay-as-you-go per-minute
rate- not the unlimited bucket. It's a bit higher than most VoIPs, and has
that ridiculous "connection fee" no one else charges.

> Can you call home from New Zealand and talk for an hour for only a
> connection fee?


With a MagicJack you could do it without a connection fee! But MJ has the
same problem as Skype- it's non-standard. (Even worse- it IS SIP-standard
under the hood, but they cripple it intentionally to force you to use their
ad-supported software on a PC rather than generic SIP equipment.)


> Skype Pro is one helluva bargain, even if you don't consider all the
> amazing free services of skype-to-skype with full motion video and the
> other toys.


Gizmo offers all the same things (P2P, Video, etc.) amongst other Gizmo
project users AND they're SIP-compliant as well, so you could use them
without a PC or proprietary WiFi phone. (And their video calling works on
your N800 as well!) They, however, don't offer the cheap unlimited buckets
like Skype. Apparently they don't have eBay's money to squander while
looking for a successful business model! ;-)


> What they DON'T like is Skype's competition. What they DON'T like is
> Skype's security the "standard", off-the-shelf, server-based VoIP
> providers don't have.


It's a closed proprietary system- that doesn't make it "bad"- but that's
what makes it the "AOL" of VoIP- a commercial attempt at usurping and
replacing a perfectly good standard protocol with a closed one for
additional profit- I.e. "Skype certified" accessories. SIP-compliant
providers allow generic third party adapters and phones to be used- you have
to buy special "Skype certified" WiFi phones to use Skype without a PC.

Again, there's nothing wrong with that, but there was nothing inherently
wrong with AOL's non-standard e-mail and usenet protocols either if you were
a good boy and used their proprietary software, either.

> Skype used to be the VoIP joke....but no more. Considering all the
> freebies Skype doesn't charge for and the really cheap in-country phone
> services, $US0.021/min is really cheap to overseas.


Comparted to AT&T, sure. Compared to the $0.011 some other VoIPs charge
it's 100% higher!

> I didn't spend $10
> all year over the Skype Pro fee because my overseas calls are mostly to
> Skypers, which is always free.


Skype is fine for Skype-to-Skype. It's just not VoIP- it's more of like a
proprietary IM program with audio/video capability.

> Skype doesn't need to operate with "the SIP-compliant ATAs, Asterisk
> servers, etc. It's distributed system functions quite well on its own.


In your opinion. I don't want to leave a $600 PC running to get a dial tone
on a $9 cordless phone. Unlike you, I don't live alone. My family uses
all of the half-dozen phones we have squirreled around the house. That
either means $700 worth of Belkin WiFi phones, or dedicating a PC as my
"home phone server"! With SIP VoIP, a $35 ATA plugged into a phone jack can
feed dialtone to the entire house.


> http://www.skype.com/allfeatures/skypepro/
> They even gave me a 60% discount on my two Skype In POTS numbers in
> Charleston and London, this year. I don't see how they do it. It's SO
> cheap!


Because they're selling it under cost! Interconnect fees to US landlines
run $0.01 (metro) to $0.05 (VERY rural)/minute. Incoming also costs you if
you don't own your number pool (and Skype doesn't.) DID rentals run
$1-3/month wholesale depending on the desirability of the area code/prefix.
You CAN'T run a VoIP business with $20-60/year unlimited and make money,
unless it comes from elsewhere- like MagicJack's supposed ad revenue. Now
Skype might do it as a loss leader for eBay's integrated Skype "buyer/seller
connection" services. eBay might figure Skype's low rates will attract more
Skype users and facilitate more eBay transactions, etc. but that's a pretty
thin business plan as well.

All I know is that in three years I've seen Skype's unlimited US/Canada
calling go from free to $15/year, to $30/year, to $36. Still a bargain, but
obviously they're testing the waters to see a) how much you're willing to
pay, and b) what they can afford to provide service at. I bought for $15
just as a "toy" (pure profit to Skype- I used maybe 10 minutes all year) but
for $30 it wasn't worth it. Skype was just a backup for my backup, and if I
need to make a few calls, it'll be at the $0.021/min. rate. No point eating
at the buffet if you're not that hungry!


> Unlimited phone service TO AND FROM my Nokia N800 Linux tablet is only
> $36 out and $24/number in PER YEAR! With phone numbers in Charleston
> and England I'm paying $7/month AND THAT'S ALL!



Which is great. As I've said, I've got nothing against Skype. Again, it
just gets crapped on in the DSLReports forums because they tend to discuss
SIP-compliant VoIP, and Skype isn't one of them.

But Larry, do you not see the irony that you're defending a (relatively)
overpriced, closed, proprietary service like Skype tooth and nail because
you believe it represents a good value to you, yet to crap on anyone who
defends their "SELLphone" data service because ubiquitous mobile data
represents a good value to them?






Reply With Quote
  #21 (permalink)  
Old 03-05-2008, 05:22 PM
Todd Allcock
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: BETA Testers needed for MyGlobalTalk.com: a cheap cellular international LD service



"George" <george@nospam.invalid> wrote in message
news:q6qdnbRjyKufV1PanZ2dnUVZ_hSdnZ2d@comcast.com. ..
>> They still offer dial-up service with their goofy proprietary software,
>> but
>> now at PeoplePC/Netzero type pricing- $10/month.
>>
>>
>>

> Maybe, but I would be embarrassed to be "someone@aol.com".


That's your hangup. I've been someone@aol.com for 15 years. I know it
lacks geek snob appeal in tech circles. I have those friends too- you know-
the ones that used to e-mail you every six months with their new e-mail
address so you could update your contact info for them.

I try to balance the emotional baggage of having "aol" in my e-mail address
with the fact that people who haven't contacted me since the current
President's father was in office still can. ;-)







Reply With Quote
  #22 (permalink)  
Old 03-05-2008, 05:30 PM
SMS
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: BETA Testers needed for MyGlobalTalk.com: a cheap cellular internationalLD service

Todd Allcock wrote:

> Because they're selling it under cost! Interconnect fees to US
> landlines run $0.01 (metro) to $0.05 (VERY rural)/minute. Incoming also
> costs you if you don't own your number pool (and Skype doesn't.) DID
> rentals run $1-3/month wholesale depending on the desirability of the
> area code/prefix. You CAN'T run a VoIP business with $20-60/year
> unlimited and make money, unless it comes from elsewhere- like
> MagicJack's supposed ad revenue. Now Skype might do it as a loss leader
> for eBay's integrated Skype "buyer/seller connection" services. eBay
> might figure Skype's low rates will attract more Skype users and
> facilitate more eBay transactions, etc. but that's a pretty thin
> business plan as well.


The money they paid for Skype is long gone, and the costs of keeping it
running are pretty low. The money they lose on Skype is lost in the
noise. This is good for Skype users, because the company could not
survive on its own.

The big problem with Skype, IMVAIO are a) per minute costs are much
higher than other providers, even though the unlimited service is a good
deal for big talkers, b) proprietary hardware, c) you have to have a PC
running to use it.

It was interesting to use Skype when they had free Skype-Out, but it
wasn't worth a higher price than free. Still, Skype to Skype is a great
deal for those that want to engage in endless gabfests. One place that
it could result in big savings is for conference calls. It's easy to
spend thousands of dollars a week on conference calls, and often the
calls are between remote offices of the same company that could easily
all use Skype.

Reply With Quote
  #23 (permalink)  
Old 03-05-2008, 06:22 PM
Dennis Ferguson
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: BETA Testers needed for MyGlobalTalk.com: a cheap cellular international LD service

On 2008-03-05, Larry <noone@home.com> wrote:
> SMS <scharf.steven@geemail.com> wrote in news:47cea9a9$0$36367
> $742ec2ed@news.sonic.net:
>
>> Skype (other than free Skype to Skype calls) is a not a great deal
>> compared to other VOIP providers. It _does_ remind me of AOL (is AOL
>> even still around, I no longer get any CDs from them?).
>>
>>

>
> How much are you paying for incoming and outgoing VoIP per month to call
> any phone/sellphone in the USA/Canada with virtually unlimited service?
>
> If I only had the one phone number, here, it would be $5/month with no
> other fees/tax loads/connection fees or other nonsense.
>
> (Someone's bound to mention Skype's imposable fair use "limit" of 3000
> minutes per month. This is reserved by Skype, but, so far, is not
> enforced. I know Skypers using twice that much that haven't been charged
> extra.


Who? My Skype, with Skype Pro, starts charging for calls automatically
when you pass 3000 minutes, and the Skype forums are full of complaints
about the same thing. Here's a recent one:

http://forum.skype.com/index.php?showtopic=110480

The people you know who ran past 3000 minutes probably had the Unlimited
Calling Program which, after Verizon got their knuckles rapped, is probably
truly unlimited now. Skype doesn't sell that any more, however (Coincidence?
I think not!).

> Most won't talk over 50 hours per month, except maybe for teenage
> girls...(c


Speak for yourself. The people who live at my house can collectively do
that without any effort at all. If you've lived in enough places and
collected enough good friends that you want to keep in touch with it
isn't that hard.

> Is your service less than $5/month with no per minute or per connection
> fees?


Maybe it's not $5/month, but 3000 minutes isn't unlimited either (and there
should be some penalty for making knowing exactly what you are spending
the $5 for so difficult). Even for people who are unlikely to use 3000
minutes per month, the advantage of "unlimited" is that you never have to
think about it, and thinking is something I'll pay extra to avoid.

Still, I keep on with SKype since three unlimited use inbound numbers in
three countries for $9 per month is a deal I can't match elsewhere. If
I stop having a use for those, however, Skype's use for me will be down
to the occasional hotel room where the NAT/Firewall router is unfriendly
to SIP.

Dennis Ferguson

Reply With Quote
  #24 (permalink)  
Old 03-05-2008, 06:34 PM
Larry
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: BETA Testers needed for MyGlobalTalk.com: a cheap cellular international LD service

"Todd Allcock" <elecconnec@AmericaOnLine.com> wrote in
news:jgBzj.8432$hg4.4935@fe107.usenetserver.com:

> Skype still hasn't figured out how to make money at VoIP despite
> giving away the farm. I don't know how true it is, but the last
> figure I read on line was that they haven't averaged a nickel per user
> per month yet. Puts that cellphone $50 ARPU in perspective!
>


I don't think Ebay bought Skype with telephone company in mind. Ebay's
core business is TRADING and Skype is a way to get EBAY SELLERS talking to
EBAY BUYERS, no matter where they are on the planet.

Do you see a plan coming together where Skype is a good thing for Ebay?

If they jack it up, people will just not use it. The VoIP market is
flooded, if you consider the ones you have to be a hacker to use. Anyone
can use Skype, like AOL, which is the whole idea. Skype-to-Skype, with
video is a no-cost, direct connection, once Skype has the current IP of the
guy you're calling.

I don't know that much about "standard" VoIP connections. I assume they
all must go through some kind of central server, right? Those servers must
be massive and expensive to maintain.

One note that might explain why it's so cheap. My Charleston inbound Skype
number is in a block of numbers used for dialup modem service, like AOL and
many others. It never gets spammed from the boiler rooms because of it.
They all think my number is just another modem. Skype has got to rent
these numbers from someone who runs the block for really cheap to even
break even. Is that how your VoIP provider works, too?


Reply With Quote
  #25 (permalink)  
Old 03-05-2008, 06:50 PM
Larry
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: BETA Testers needed for MyGlobalTalk.com: a cheap cellular international LD service

"Todd Allcock" <elecconnec@AmericaOnLine.com> wrote in
news:jgBzj.8432$hg4.4935@fe107.usenetserver.com:

> But Larry, do you not see the irony that you're defending a
> (relatively) overpriced, closed, proprietary service like Skype tooth
> and nail because you believe it represents a good value to you, yet to
> crap on anyone who defends their "SELLphone" data service because
> ubiquitous mobile data represents a good value to them?
>
>
>


I just don't understand why you get your panties all in a wad because
Skype is proprietary, mentioned over and over in this message. To
users, like me, I don't care a bit how proprietary it is because I have
no investment, whatsoever, in its software (free), and have no contract
forcing me to buy it more than until next month, now that the yearly fee
bargains have been discontinued. My price went DOWN since unlimited
went away! I was paying $60/year for a phone number. That's now
$24/number with Skype Pro's $3/mo.

This has nothing to do with Sellphones, of course. I don't defend
Skype, at all, and have no pecuinary interest in whether it lives or
dies. But, I DO point out that crapware like VONAGE is way overpriced
over Skype's costs. If you're happy with simple VoIP interconnects for
$2 less than Skype with all its freebie features...I'm not dumping on
you, at all. The difference between them is 3 quarts of gas at Sunoco.
The difference in what they DO for $2 more is cool. I am stuck with a
Skype Phone I freely admit was a mistake because free wifi has gone to
webpage logons it doesn't support. That has nothing to do with which
VoIP company, just the poor design Netgear did on the Skype phone. The
N800 was purchased, initially, to cover these deficiencies on the road,
which it does, fully.

I have played with Gizmo and the other comm toys on the N800. NONE of
them is the pleasure to use the Skype software on the tablet provides.
I only miss my Skype webcam, but we get around that with Google Talk.

Merely pointing out any alternatives to what's being hawked on a thread
should never have to turn into a brawl-under-a-bridge....but sometimes
it seems it must as hotheads blow off steam.

I'm too old to care....(c;


Reply With Quote
  #26 (permalink)  
Old 03-05-2008, 07:03 PM
Larry
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: BETA Testers needed for MyGlobalTalk.com: a cheap cellular international LD service

SMS <scharf.steven@geemail.com> wrote in news:47cee62f$0$36345
$742ec2ed@news.sonic.net:

> The big problem with Skype, IMVAIO are a) per minute costs are much
> higher than other providers, even though the unlimited service is a

good
> deal for big talkers, b) proprietary hardware, c) you have to have a

PC
> running to use it.
>
> It was interesting to use Skype when they had free Skype-Out, but it
> wasn't worth a higher price than free. Still, Skype to Skype is a

great
> deal for those that want to engage in endless gabfests. One place that
> it could result in big savings is for conference calls. It's easy to
> spend thousands of dollars a week on conference calls, and often the
> calls are between remote offices of the same company that could easily
> all use Skype.
>
>


Now I'm awful confused.... Skype Pro + an incoming phone number
someplace on the planet, not necessarily at home, is $5/month in the USA
and Canada for virtually unlimited calling in N America. That's NOT
"much higher"! That's almost FREE!

b) There is no proprietary hardware necessary. You need a PC you
already have...or...a Skype-compatible PDA or Linux tablet...or...ANY
KIND OF TELEPHONE you can make calls on! You don't even NEED a
computer, any more, to use Skype!
http://www.skype.com/allfeatures/togo/
Skype-to-go is INCLUDED with Skype Pro for $3/mo.
"To Go is currently available in the Australia, Chile, Denmark, Estonia,
Finland, Ireland, New Zealand, Poland, Sweden, UK and the US."
I can pick up a phone in Ireland, call the Skype-to-go access number in
Ireland, then call at cheap Skype rates to anyplace on the planet from
my account. No proprietary hardware, except an Irish telephone, is
necessary. It will cost me 3.9c/call to start the connection, a
pittance because I'm in Ireland. If I start the call in the USA or
Canada, there's no fee because I'm a Skype Pro customer under this
terrible $3/mo financial burden and they feel sorry for me.

I can pick up the phone in your living room, call Skype-to-go, identify
myself, and call Japan for 2.1c/min FROM YOUR HOUSE PHONE, a proprietary
instrument to be sure! A 10 minute call is 21 cents! If I call New
Brunswick, there's no extra charge....FROM YOUR US OR CANADIAN PHONE!

c) You do NOT have to run a PC to use Skype out or Skype in from your
sellphone or any POTS phone. You do have to briefly operate your PC to
type in your CALL FORWARDING number so Skype In knows where to send the
incoming calls when someone dials one of your (10) incoming phone
numbers. I hardly ever run Skype on my PC or the tablet, unless I'm
making a call to the other side of the planet and want to see the video
from another Skyper for free or swap files with him/her/it. I do call
from one of the computers if I don't want the company I'm calling to
steal my caller ID so they can put me on some boiler room's call list to
be spammed to death. All caller IDs FROM Skype are 000-123-4567, no
matter who I'm calling, even the cops, IRS or FBI! I use Skype from my
Alltel sellphone all the time, both incoming and outgoing. I even have
stolen the Skype ringtones so the sellphone sounds like Skype on the
computer when someone calls me from one of my Skype In numbers...(c;

I know a small company that has Skype connected between 4 offices in
different states, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week...with full color video,
Skype's instant messaging conferences and sharing files. They never
disconnect it. I don't think they've ever paid Skype a dime as they
don't use their POTS interconnects at all that I know of. There's
probably 24 desktop computers all linked together between the 4 offices
at once....




Reply With Quote
  #27 (permalink)  
Old 03-05-2008, 07:55 PM
Dennis Ferguson
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: BETA Testers needed for MyGlobalTalk.com: a cheap cellular international LD service

On 2008-03-05, Todd Allcock <elecconnec@AmericaOnLine.com> wrote:
> "Larry" <noone@home.com> wrote in message
> news:Xns9A586A32A4074noonehomecom@208.49.80.253...
>> Skype used to be the VoIP joke....but no more. Considering all the
>> freebies Skype doesn't charge for and the really cheap in-country phone
>> services, $US0.021/min is really cheap to overseas.

>
> Comparted to AT&T, sure. Compared to the $0.011 some other VoIPs charge
> it's 100% higher!


The difference between 1.1 cents and 2.1 cents doesn't bother me much. On
the other hand I have a relative who, sometimes, can only be called on a
Trinidad & Tobago mobile phone, and that difference bothers me a lot. AT&T
landline 40 cents, Skype 34.1 cents, average long distance discounter 11
cents.

Skype seems to have stopped maintaining their price list to follow the
market; their price might have been reasonable a few years ago but not
now. I don't need the absolute cheapest prices, I don't mind paying
a bit more, but I do want someone who'll at least keep their prices in the
ballpark all over so I don't have to think about it.

>> http://www.skype.com/allfeatures/skypepro/
>> They even gave me a 60% discount on my two Skype In POTS numbers in
>> Charleston and London, this year. I don't see how they do it. It's SO
>> cheap!

>
> Because they're selling it under cost! Interconnect fees to US landlines
> run $0.01 (metro) to $0.05 (VERY rural)/minute. Incoming also costs you if
> you don't own your number pool (and Skype doesn't.)


I don't think that's actually right. There are some rural phone companies
which get to charge a very high price for access, but an FCC report I saw
a few years ago said the usage-weighted average price paid for landline
access was below 0.5 cents/minute (cell phones are free, I think) and it has
to be lower now. The plan they're currently considering has the price for
most landlines dropping to between 0.05 and 0.075 cents per minute. Inbound
calls actually earn (a tiny bit of) revenue.

The bigger charges will be what the VoIP-terminating phone company wants
for the service, and that will be entirely dependent on what kind of deal
you can negotiate with them. For big-volume users $2/month for an unlimited
DID might be reasonable (though I'd guess the reason Skype hasn't added a
new country for quite a while is that they've run out of places where the
one-price-fits-all $2 will do it) and, with the 3000 minute cap, Skype
is at least limiting their damage on the outbound side. This might be
sustainable if they get some consequential usage at their per minute
rates too.

Dennis Ferguson

Reply With Quote
  #28 (permalink)  
Old 03-05-2008, 08:02 PM
Todd Allcock
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: BETA Testers needed for MyGlobalTalk.com: a cheap cellular international LD service



"Larry" <noone@home.com> wrote in message
news:Xns9A5897C1C6CEEnoonehomecom@208.49.80.253...
>> But Larry, do you not see the irony that you're defending a
>> (relatively) overpriced, closed, proprietary service like Skype tooth
>> and nail because you believe it represents a good value to you, yet to
>> crap on anyone who defends their "SELLphone" data service because
>> ubiquitous mobile data represents a good value to them?

>
>
> I just don't understand why you get your panties all in a wad because
> Skype is proprietary, mentioned over and over in this message.


My panties aren't in a wad, I'm just explaining why Skype isn't considered
by some to be "VoIP" since VoIP typically describes the SIP standard.

It's like the difference between my WinMo phone or your N800 and a PC.
They're all useful tools, and share many of the same functions, but my phone
and your tablet aren't Intel-based computers, so they run proprietary
software designed for those devices specifically. (Yes, yours runs Linux,
but the apps have to be recompiled for the different processor and
environment. A straight Linux for PC app will not run on the N800
directly.)

> To
> users, like me, I don't care a bit how proprietary it is because I have
> no investment, whatsoever, in its software (free), and have no contract
> forcing me to buy it more than until next month, now that the yearly fee
> bargains have been discontinued.


True, but you DO have an investment in hardware, like your WiFi phones.
Unless they support the SIP protocol, you can't change VoIP providers.
(Although at least some of the WiFi phones I've seen do support SIP as
well.) Obviously the advantage of compatible VoIP hardware is that you can
choose between literally hundreds of providers competing on price. But more
importantly, SIP hardware allows you to have a "Vonage-like" home phone
service replacement at a fraction of Vonage's costs.


> My price went DOWN since unlimited
> went away! I was paying $60/year for a phone number. That's now
> $24/number with Skype Pro's $3/mo.



I'm not arguing $60/year for unlimited isn't a good deal. I just don't see
the value of Skype's extra services- I use free Skype to Skype features,
like video calling. The $5/month extra to "convert" Skype to PSTN use, IMO,
is better spent on a service that does it better- that's all.

> This has nothing to do with Sellphones, of course. I don't defend
> Skype, at all, and have no pecuinary interest in whether it lives or
> dies. But, I DO point out that crapware like VONAGE is way overpriced
> over Skype's costs. If you're happy with simple VoIP interconnects for
> $2 less than Skype with all its freebie features...I'm not dumping on
> you, at all. The difference between them is 3 quarts of gas at Sunoco.
> The difference in what they DO for $2 more is cool. I am stuck with a
> Skype Phone I freely admit was a mistake because free wifi has gone to
> webpage logons it doesn't support. That has nothing to do with which
> VoIP company, just the poor design Netgear did on the Skype phone. The
> N800 was purchased, initially, to cover these deficiencies on the road,
> which it does, fully.


Fair enough- I use my WinMo phone ofor VoIP on the road for the same reason-
better compatibility (like the N800, it can do Skype, SIP, etc.) and handles
authentication well.


> I have played with Gizmo and the other comm toys on the N800. NONE of
> them is the pleasure to use the Skype software on the tablet provides.
> I only miss my Skype webcam, but we get around that with Google Talk.


Gizmo just added video to their N800 software- you should check it out.

> Merely pointing out any alternatives to what's being hawked on a thread
> should never have to turn into a brawl-under-a-bridge....but sometimes
> it seems it must as hotheads blow off steam.
>
> I'm too old to care....(c;


Brawling wasn't my intent- you just seemed to think that the downplaying of
Skype or Mobivox on DSLR was due to some conspiracy (surprise!) or
censorship by "VoIP interests." VoIP providers aren't in some kind of
anti-Skype alliance- they're separate entities all trying to cut each
other's throats, and have no control over an independent forum either singly
or in aggregate. My point was only the rest of the VoIP-using world isn't
as enamored of Skype as you are, and other providers also provide excellent
value and good feature sets. To each his or her own... In my case, I do
use Skype for the free features, and very occasional LD use from my Skype
credits if I find myself on a hotel system that attempts to block VoIP
(times when "proprietary" is an advantage!)








Reply With Quote
  #29 (permalink)  
Old 03-05-2008, 08:24 PM
Larry
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: BETA Testers needed for MyGlobalTalk.com: a cheap cellular international LD service

"Todd Allcock" <elecconnec@AmericaOnLine.com> wrote in news:GTDzj.12599
$yQ6.1111@fe109.usenetserver.com:

> Gizmo just added video to their N800 software- you should check it out.
>
>


Thanks! I'll download it and give it a whirl.....er, ah,
flip....whatever...(c;

http://www.internettablettalk.com/20...rlight-coming-
to-the-internet-tablet/

Ooops...I got sidetracked while on my way to find it. Cable TV will be on
the tablet in no time...

Nokia being HUGE isn't a bad thing at all....


Reply With Quote
  #30 (permalink)  
Old 03-05-2008, 08:45 PM
Dennis Ferguson
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: BETA Testers needed for MyGlobalTalk.com: a cheap cellular international LD service

On 2008-03-05, Todd Allcock <elecconnec@AmericaOnLine.com> wrote:
> Voicestick, a VoIP company with a cellular "bridge" service (you dial your
> own VoIP number from your cellphone and get a dial tone to dial
> internationally at VoIP rates) is offering free beta accounts (with $10 of
> LD credit) of their new "MyGlobalTalk" service.


I'd note that, for dial-through international long distance, I like Rebtel's
feature set a lot better. In addition to double-dialing, if you add the
overseas number you want to call as a contact they'll give you a local number
which connects to that person directly and, if the phone is in one of
the 40-something countries where they have numbers, the contact will also
get a local-to-them number to call you back on. If you are travelling and
switch your primary phone to another country, it gives you a new set of local
numbers for that country. It also gives you three ways to make a call (they
call you, you call them, or the person who is called hangs up and calls right
back, in which case Rebtel doesn't charge anything for the call) which I
actually kind of enjoy figuring out how to arbitrage against the calling
costs of the phones to minimize the overall price.

The only thing that doesn't work currently is using them for forwarding
your phones when travelling, but they're working on fixing that. If they
do I can give up my Skype DID numbers.

Rebtel's current promotion is that if you open an account and put $10
in it they'll give you $20 extra.

Some of Voicestick's prices are pretty nice, but none of their feature
sets seems to match what I want. After looking at their price list I
tried to get a T-Mobile UK SIM which had a number in the range they charge
9.4 cents to call (to port to the prepaid SIM from another company that
I like more), but I could only find prepaid SIMs with 20.3 cent numbers,
which isn't low enough to make it worth maintaining an account just for
that.

Dennis Ferguson

Reply With Quote
Reply


« Re: T-mobile & Sprint Merger Back in the News. | NEWS: Sprint Nextel Posts $29.5 Billion Loss »
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
BETA Testers needed for MyGlobalTalk.com: a cheap cellular international LD service Todd Allcock alt.cellular.sprintpcs 40 03-11-2008 12:13 PM
BETA Testers needed for MyGlobalTalk.com: a cheap cellular international LD service Todd Allcock alt.cellular.attws 40 03-11-2008 12:13 PM
BETA Testers needed for MyGlobalTalk.com: a cheap cellular international LD service Todd Allcock alt.cellular.verizon 40 03-11-2008 12:13 PM


All times are GMT. The time now is 03:28 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45