Go Back   Wireless and Wifi Forums > Cellular Communications > US Networks > alt.cellular.verizon
Register FAQ Forum Rules Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Advertise Mark Forums Read

 
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 12-09-2006, 01:02 AM
Please post not email replies
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default buying LG-VX5300 phone on ebay vs re-upping

My Verizon contract expired 3 years ago and it's time for a new phone, say
an LG-VX5300, partly because it does AMPS. What do people think of buying
a phone on Ebay instead of re-upping for 2 years? Are these phones
likely to be stolen? How could I tell?

Also, is there any chance of getting a discount from Verizon because it's
been 4 years since my last discounted phone, even tho I haven't been on a
contract?

Finally, what's with these incredible deals for starting a new account?
E.g. Amazon says that I will be paid $75 for doing that. If I didn't want
to keep my number, it appears that I could start a new account, then cancel
my old one.

Thanks. Replies posted to the group will help everyone in addition to me.






Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 12-09-2006, 11:00 AM
putt@webtv.net
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: buying LG-VX5300 phone on ebay vs re-upping

>What do people think of buying a phone
> on Ebay instead of re-upping for 2
> years? * Are these phones likely to be
> stolen? How could I tell?


A few months ago I asked similar question and followed the advice I
received. I bought from an individual not from a phone selling
business. I asked for the ESN of the phone and checked with Vz to make
sure the phone could be activated and I made sure the phone came with a
user manual and charger. Check the individuals feedback(nothing less
than 100%) and communicate with that person. My experience was good and
I got the phone I wanted at a good price.

Dave S(Texas)


Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 12-10-2006, 03:41 PM
Seven Inch Dilly
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: buying LG-VX5300 phone on ebay vs re-upping

<putt@webtv.net> wrote
>>What do people think of buying a phone
>> on Ebay instead of re-upping for 2
>> years? Are these phones likely to be
>> stolen? How could I tell?


>A few months ago I asked similar question and followed the advice I
>received. I bought from an individual not from a phone selling
>business. I asked for the ESN of the phone and checked with Vz to make
>sure the phone could be activated and I made sure the phone came with a
>user manual and charger. Check the individuals feedback (nothing less
>than 100%) and communicate with that person. My experience was good and
>I got the phone I wanted at a good price.
>
>Dave S(Texas)


I'll second that.

I've bought half a dozen low-end Samsung VZW phones from different
individuals (no dealers) on eBay who had upgraded, replacing ~ 2 yr old
working phones . Every single one was in advertised condition and all
activated and work fine. I manage phones for my company and we didn't want
to extend our contract, pay full retail for replacements or pay for
insurance on dozens of relatively cheap phones.

One thing I would add is to ask the seller to check and send you the total
lifetime for all calls from the phone's call history. This doesn't guarantee
anything, but it is data to have when comparing used phones of similar age
all described as being in "good condition". Bear in mind someone might abuse
a little used phone or take good care of one that was used heavily.



Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 12-15-2006, 09:57 PM
John-USN
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: buying LG-VX5300 phone on ebay vs re-upping

I just got an LG 6100 off Ebay for a great price....a little dinged up, but
works perfectly. Replaces my daughters phone that died---and, I'm 3 months
short of my 2 yr contract.....so, Ebay was the way to go.

John

"Please post not email replies" <linux-user@nowhere.com> wrote in message
news:XOoeh.564$nq5.353@twister.nyroc.rr.com...
> My Verizon contract expired 3 years ago and it's time for a new phone, say
> an LG-VX5300, partly because it does AMPS. What do people think of
> buying
> a phone on Ebay instead of re-upping for 2 years? Are these phones
> likely to be stolen? How could I tell?
>
> Also, is there any chance of getting a discount from Verizon because it's
> been 4 years since my last discounted phone, even tho I haven't been on a
> contract?
>
> Finally, what's with these incredible deals for starting a new account?
> E.g. Amazon says that I will be paid $75 for doing that. If I didn't want
> to keep my number, it appears that I could start a new account, then
> cancel
> my old one.
>
> Thanks. Replies posted to the group will help everyone in addition to me.
>
>
>
>
>




Reply With Quote
Reply


« How do I disable the GPS | Bandai Cellphone Othello- Any Other Players Here? »
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Thinking of buying a mobile phone Interesting Ian uk.telecom.mobile 3 09-20-2006 11:09 AM
Re: Plan pricing Steevo@my-deja.com alt.cellular.cingular 2 09-12-2006 06:41 PM
Myopic Economist article: Skype and "How the internet killed the phone business" Valiant uk.telecom.voip 5 09-16-2005 04:11 PM
Ebay buying SkyPE PhilÅ uk.telecom.voip 3 09-12-2005 01:05 PM


All times are GMT. The time now is 01:26 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45