Go Back   Wireless and Wifi Forums > Cellular Communications > US Networks > alt.cellular.verizon
Register FAQ Forum Rules Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Advertise Mark Forums Read

 
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 12-07-2006, 05:59 PM
Dean
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Transferring Phone Book From LG6100 to Moto V325i?

If you have been following this NG for awhile (handle looks familiar), go
back and do a search on "Backup Assistant". It's a VZW feature that will do
exactly what you want without cables or anything.

It's free to VZW customers who are enrolled in "My Account", which is in
itself free. It will appear as if you have to pay $1.99 per month for it,
but they specifically state they will waive the fee.

Very neat---it backs up your Contacts List to VZW's server. You can then
"push" the list to your phone from your PC (if, for instance, you have do do
a Master Clear on your phone). It appears ideal for just what you asked. It
also updates the Contacts List automatically, at whatever general time of
day you choose (morning, afternoon, evening, late night). Any New Entry you
put into the phone will automatically push to the server, while any new
entry you make from the PC will push to the phone.

You can print out a hard copy of the list anytime you wish to have it for
your files.

I tried it, and asked about it here, and there are a number of inquiries
about it on HoFo, I haven't heard anything negative about it yet.

Somewhere along the line, I believe this is one way VZW is trying to get
around a few of the perceived advantages of using a SIM card-based
system....just my opinion.

Of course, those of us who are highly sensitized to personal security and
privacy issues may object to VZW having all your contacts on their server
(and they are certainly entitled to feel that way), but of course it's their
choice to NOT use this feature. OTOH, someone who is that sensitive about it
shouldn't keep a contact list on their phone anyway.....how do we know they
can't "pull" the list out of the phone already???


HTH,
Dean


"Pegleg" <Pegleg@usnavyret.mil> wrote in message
news:fkggn2ttunlnaadusnltki4ekb2h7gg3gt@4ax.com...
> Have ordered a Moto V325i for my wife to replace her LG6100. What is
> the best approach to transfer her phone book from the old phone to the
> new one?
>
> I have MPT that I use with my V710 and BitPim which she has used with
> her LG phone. Also have cables for the LG and 325i phones.
>
> Is the best approach to install MPT on her PC and then transfer her
> Outlook contact info to her 325i? Problem with that is some info in
> her phone is not in Outlook contact info.
>
> What are the best options?
>
> TIA




Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 12-07-2006, 06:32 PM
Cinder Lane
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Transferring Phone Book From LG6100 to Moto V325i?

dean173@yahoo.com (Dean) made a comment with respect to Backup
Assistant:

>Very neat---it backs up your Contacts List to
>VZW's server. You can then "push" the list to
> your phone from your PC....


It was mentioned in another thread that TXT messaging charges are levied
if you "push" to your phone from your PC. No charges are involved if
you update by "pulling" the list to your phone.

>Of course, those of us who are highly
>sensitized to personal security and privacy
>issues may object to VZW having all your
>contacts on their server...


Inasmuch as it is possible to view the detail of all your outgoing and
incoming calls from a PC, I think that it is safe to say that that
information is already on their server.


Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 12-07-2006, 06:37 PM
Remove This
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Transferring Phone Book From LG6100 to Moto V325i?

Trust pegleg/ Backup Assistant worked for me. And the price is right...


--
I work for the ILEC ...." stuff happens! "



"Dean" <dean173@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:2wZdh.7390$bW2.7173@trndny04...
> If you have been following this NG for awhile (handle looks familiar), go
> back and do a search on "Backup Assistant". It's a VZW feature that will
> do exactly what you want without cables or anything.
>
> It's free to VZW customers who are enrolled in "My Account", which is in
> itself free. It will appear as if you have to pay $1.99 per month for it,
> but they specifically state they will waive the fee.
>
> Very neat---it backs up your Contacts List to VZW's server. You can then
> "push" the list to your phone from your PC (if, for instance, you have do
> do a Master Clear on your phone). It appears ideal for just what you
> asked. It also updates the Contacts List automatically, at whatever
> general time of day you choose (morning, afternoon, evening, late night).
> Any New Entry you put into the phone will automatically push to the
> server, while any new entry you make from the PC will push to the phone.
>
> You can print out a hard copy of the list anytime you wish to have it for
> your files.
>
> I tried it, and asked about it here, and there are a number of inquiries
> about it on HoFo, I haven't heard anything negative about it yet.
>
> Somewhere along the line, I believe this is one way VZW is trying to get
> around a few of the perceived advantages of using a SIM card-based
> system....just my opinion.
>
> Of course, those of us who are highly sensitized to personal security and
> privacy issues may object to VZW having all your contacts on their server
> (and they are certainly entitled to feel that way), but of course it's
> their choice to NOT use this feature. OTOH, someone who is that sensitive
> about it shouldn't keep a contact list on their phone anyway.....how do we
> know they can't "pull" the list out of the phone already???
>
>
> HTH,
> Dean
>
>
> "Pegleg" <Pegleg@usnavyret.mil> wrote in message
> news:fkggn2ttunlnaadusnltki4ekb2h7gg3gt@4ax.com...
>> Have ordered a Moto V325i for my wife to replace her LG6100. What is
>> the best approach to transfer her phone book from the old phone to the
>> new one?
>>
>> I have MPT that I use with my V710 and BitPim which she has used with
>> her LG phone. Also have cables for the LG and 325i phones.
>>
>> Is the best approach to install MPT on her PC and then transfer her
>> Outlook contact info to her 325i? Problem with that is some info in
>> her phone is not in Outlook contact info.
>>
>> What are the best options?
>>
>> TIA

>
>



Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 12-07-2006, 08:29 PM
tdstr
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Transferring Phone Book From LG6100 to Moto V325i?

Dean wrote:
>
> Of course, those of us who are highly sensitized to personal security and
> privacy issues may object to VZW having all your contacts on their server
> (and they are certainly entitled to feel that way), but of course it's their
> choice to NOT use this feature. OTOH, someone who is that sensitive about it
> shouldn't keep a contact list on their phone anyway.....how do we know they
> can't "pull" the list out of the phone already???


Just a thought but couldn't VZW just as well could sell the contacts to
telemarketers?

Ted Novak
TRA#5512
IEAS#75

Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 12-07-2006, 08:52 PM
james g. keegan jr.
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Transferring Phone Book From LG6100 to Moto V325i?

In article <nospam.m-m-31C2E0.16430107122006@newsread.uslec.net>,
M-M <nospam.m-m@ny.more> wrote:

> In article <2wZdh.7390$bW2.7173@trndny04>, "Dean" <dean173@yahoo.com>
> wrote:
>
> > "Backup Assistant". It's a VZW feature that will do
> > exactly what you want without cables or anything.

>
> Will it preserve the speed dial settings?


no, at least it did not for my 8300. in fact i see no spot for speed
dial numbers in the web database.

Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 12-09-2006, 09:40 PM
L'l John
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Transferring Phone Book From LG6100 to Moto V325i?


"Cinder Lane" <Cinderlane@webtv.net> wrote in message
news:6-45786C3C-91@storefull-3233.bay.webtv.net...
> dean173@yahoo.com (Dean) made a comment with respect to Backup
> Assistant:
>
>>Very neat---it backs up your Contacts List to
>>VZW's server. You can then "push" the list to
>> your phone from your PC....

>
> It was mentioned in another thread that TXT messaging charges are levied
> if you "push" to your phone from your PC. No charges are involved if
> you update by "pulling" the list to your phone.
>


About the TXT messaging, I have had TXT messaging blocked on my phone. I
cannot either send or receive TXT messages.
Will that keep me from using the "Backup Assistant"?
Thanks,
John



Reply With Quote
Reply


« rebate check | Re: Terms in "My Plan"? »
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Could anything more go wrong with an o2 upgrade than this? (long) Anim uk.telecom.mobile 8 12-09-2006 08:30 AM
Moto Razr V3m Phone Book Software Somewhere Nowhere alt.cellular.verizon 1 09-24-2006 07:36 PM
Myopic Economist article: Skype and "How the internet killed the phone business" Valiant uk.telecom.voip 5 09-16-2005 04:11 PM


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:10 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45