Go Back   Wireless and Wifi Forums > Cellular Communications > US Networks > alt.cellular.verizon
Register FAQ Forum Rules Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Advertise Mark Forums Read

 
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 01-14-2013, 09:02 PM
sms
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Straight Talk iPhone is On Verizon's Network, but No LTE and No Roaming

Using the Straight Talk zip code test, (59801 or 57016) it appears that
the Straight Talk iPhones are all on Verizon's network.

However before anyone gets too excited about unlimited talk, text, and
data on an iPhone for only $45/month (less if you buy a year at a time),
there are caveats:

1) No LTE. Just like on Page Plus, you only have 3G access even on a 4G
LTE iPhone.

2) Verizon native coverage only. Unlike Page Plus, Straight Talk does
not allow off-Verizon roaming at all, not even at extra cost. So you
will have no coverage in areas where Verizon does not have a CDMA
network. This isn't nearly as bad as say Virgin Mobile, which is limited
to the much smaller Sprint native network, but there are still quite a
few areas of the country where Verizon is not the CDMA carrier and you
normally would roam onto a smaller local carrier.

Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 01-15-2013, 01:26 AM
nobody@nada.com
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Straight Talk iPhone is On Verizon's Network, but No LTE and No Roaming

On Mon, 14 Jan 2013 14:02:27 -0800, sms <scharf.steven@geemail.com>
wrote:

>Using the Straight Talk zip code test, (59801 or 57016) it appears that
>the Straight Talk iPhones are all on Verizon's network.
>
>However before anyone gets too excited about unlimited talk, text, and
>data on an iPhone for only $45/month (less if you buy a year at a time),
>there are caveats:
>
>1) No LTE. Just like on Page Plus, you only have 3G access even on a 4G
>LTE iPhone.
>
>2) Verizon native coverage only. Unlike Page Plus, Straight Talk does
>not allow off-Verizon roaming at all, not even at extra cost. So you
>will have no coverage in areas where Verizon does not have a CDMA
>network. This isn't nearly as bad as say Virgin Mobile, which is limited
>to the much smaller Sprint native network, but there are still quite a
>few areas of the country where Verizon is not the CDMA carrier and you
>normally would roam onto a smaller local carrier.



So if you want an iPhone with Straight Talk then use a AT&T phone, or
get the unlocked one and use T-Mobile.

Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 01-15-2013, 03:05 AM
tlvp
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Straight Talk iPhone is On Verizon's Network, but No LTE and No Roaming

On Mon, 14 Jan 2013 14:02:27 -0800, sms wrote:

> Using the Straight Talk zip code test, (59801 or 57016) it appears that
> the Straight Talk iPhones are all on Verizon's network.


And what's it take to port such a handset over to PagePlus :-) ?

Cheers, -- tlvp
--
Avant de repondre, jeter la poubelle, SVP.

Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 01-15-2013, 03:50 AM
sms
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Straight Talk iPhone is On Verizon's Network, but No LTE andNo Roaming

On 1/14/2013 6:26 PM, nobody@nada.com wrote:
> On Mon, 14 Jan 2013 14:02:27 -0800, sms <scharf.steven@geemail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Using the Straight Talk zip code test, (59801 or 57016) it appears that
>> the Straight Talk iPhones are all on Verizon's network.
>>
>> However before anyone gets too excited about unlimited talk, text, and
>> data on an iPhone for only $45/month (less if you buy a year at a time),
>> there are caveats:
>>
>> 1) No LTE. Just like on Page Plus, you only have 3G access even on a 4G
>> LTE iPhone.
>>
>> 2) Verizon native coverage only. Unlike Page Plus, Straight Talk does
>> not allow off-Verizon roaming at all, not even at extra cost. So you
>> will have no coverage in areas where Verizon does not have a CDMA
>> network. This isn't nearly as bad as say Virgin Mobile, which is limited
>> to the much smaller Sprint native network, but there are still quite a
>> few areas of the country where Verizon is not the CDMA carrier and you
>> normally would roam onto a smaller local carrier.

>
>
> So if you want an iPhone with Straight Talk then use a AT&T phone, or
> get the unlocked one and use T-Mobile.


T-Mobile has far worse coverage issues than Verizon native coverage.
Straight Talk with AT&T, or Verizon with Page Plus is the way to go.





Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 01-15-2013, 09:47 AM
nobody@nada.com
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Straight Talk iPhone is On Verizon's Network, but No LTE and No Roaming

On Mon, 14 Jan 2013 20:50:40 -0800, sms <scharf.steven@geemail.com>
wrote:

>On 1/14/2013 6:26 PM, nobody@nada.com wrote:
>> On Mon, 14 Jan 2013 14:02:27 -0800, sms <scharf.steven@geemail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Using the Straight Talk zip code test, (59801 or 57016) it appears that
>>> the Straight Talk iPhones are all on Verizon's network.
>>>
>>> However before anyone gets too excited about unlimited talk, text, and
>>> data on an iPhone for only $45/month (less if you buy a year at a time),
>>> there are caveats:
>>>
>>> 1) No LTE. Just like on Page Plus, you only have 3G access even on a 4G
>>> LTE iPhone.
>>>
>>> 2) Verizon native coverage only. Unlike Page Plus, Straight Talk does
>>> not allow off-Verizon roaming at all, not even at extra cost. So you
>>> will have no coverage in areas where Verizon does not have a CDMA
>>> network. This isn't nearly as bad as say Virgin Mobile, which is limited
>>> to the much smaller Sprint native network, but there are still quite a
>>> few areas of the country where Verizon is not the CDMA carrier and you
>>> normally would roam onto a smaller local carrier.

>>
>>
>> So if you want an iPhone with Straight Talk then use a AT&T phone, or
>> get the unlocked one and use T-Mobile.

>
>T-Mobile has far worse coverage issues than Verizon native coverage.
>Straight Talk with AT&T, or Verizon with Page Plus is the way to go.
>
>

Depends on where you are/go. T-Mobile in many areas has higher data
speeds. AT&T has better coverage but the Straight Talk T-Mobile roams
to AT&T. If you could use a better 4G phone with Page Plus without
screwing with it, it would bea better option, even if it only did 3G
data speeds.
>


Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 01-15-2013, 11:32 AM
sms
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Straight Talk iPhone is On Verizon's Network, but No LTE andNo Roaming

On 1/15/2013 2:47 AM, nobody@nada.com wrote:

> Depends on where you are/go. T-Mobile in many areas has higher data
> speeds. AT&T has better coverage but the Straight Talk T-Mobile roams
> to AT&T. If you could use a better 4G phone with Page Plus without
> screwing with it, it would bea better option, even if it only did 3G
> data speeds.


The problem with T-Mobile is that there are a lot of areas where it does
not roam onto AT&T and I've experienced those areas (I did not just
search for areas where T-Mobile doesn't have coverage but AT&T does).
It's not just prepaid that often can't roam either.

Now it's possible that I happened to be in the only areas in the U.S.
where roaming onto AT&T isn't allowed, but I doubt it.

I guess the question is this: "Does StraightTalk T-Mobile roam onto AT&T
in areas where T-Mobile T-Mobile does not roam onto AT&T? I don't know.
If I put in a Zip Code where I know AT&T has coverage but T-Mobile
doesn't, I get "Straight Talk does not offer service in the zip code you
entered," when I would think I should be offered an AT&T based
StraightTalk phone since AT&T does offer coverage, and sell service in
the area (and there is even a Wal-Mart not too far away).

If I enter one of the problem Zip Codes into the T-Mobile site I get
"T-Mobile does not currently provide service in the XXXXX area. However,
we are continuously expanding service, so please check back again."

I was hoping that T-Mobile's maps were wrong, and that they had actually
added roaming in these AT&T areas as a result of the penalties for the
failed acquisition by AT&T, but that was not the case; the maps were
correct.

Now if you never leave urban areas, that's another story. T-Mobile is
acceptable in most urban areas. If you travel to, or through, more rural
areas then it's beneficial to have the additional coverage.

If I were AT&T I would be saying to myself, "I spent a fortune putting
up cell towers in sparsely populated areas where most of the use will be
from my customers visiting or passing through these areas so why should
I enable my low-cost competitor to provide coverage here?"




Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 01-15-2013, 04:34 PM
Molon Labe
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Straight Talk iPhone is On Verizon's Network, but No LTE andNo Roaming

On 1/14/13 11:05 PM, tlvp wrote:
> On Mon, 14 Jan 2013 14:02:27 -0800, sms wrote:
>
>> Using the Straight Talk zip code test, (59801 or 57016) it appears that
>> the Straight Talk iPhones are all on Verizon's network.

>
> And what's it take to port such a handset over to PagePlus :-) ?
>
> Cheers, -- tlvp
>


You don't port handsets, you port telephone numbers. I think what you
mean is activate a phone on PagePlus.


--
...the right of the people to keep and bear Arms shall not be
infringed.
--US Constitution, Amendment II

Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 01-15-2013, 06:30 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 0
Default Straight Talk Put the BRAKES On!

I'm a new Straighttalk User and purchased one of the Iphone-5s Friday at Walmart.

This was an interesting learning experience.

Though I wanted a larger (32gig) I 5, I was told by the Walmart sales person that they only sold the 16 gig version. Couldn't even order a larger 5 if I wanted it.

Thing then got really interesting. The rep, who seemed very knowledgable, told me if I were to buy a 32 or 64 gig unlocked phone and put it on StraightTalk, it would be a GSM (not CDMA) so I wouldn't be using the Verizon network. (All my friends told me to go with the CDMA because the Verizon network is far superior to ATT, etc. GSM's so not to go there.)

Now that I have the phone, I'm less than impressed with the performance. I read about all the Verizon hype yet it seems they put the brakes on ST users. (This morning I parked 250' from a Verizon tower and ran Speedtest. Download speed was 550kb and upload 590kb.)

(Zipcode 23226)

As always, you get what you pay for, I suppose.

Cheers
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 01-16-2013, 12:19 AM
nobody@nada.com
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Straight Talk iPhone is On Verizon's Network, but No LTE and No Roaming

On Tue, 15 Jan 2013 04:32:34 -0800, sms <scharf.steven@geemail.com>
wrote:

>On 1/15/2013 2:47 AM, nobody@nada.com wrote:
>
>> Depends on where you are/go. T-Mobile in many areas has higher data
>> speeds. AT&T has better coverage but the Straight Talk T-Mobile roams
>> to AT&T. If you could use a better 4G phone with Page Plus without
>> screwing with it, it would bea better option, even if it only did 3G
>> data speeds.

>
>The problem with T-Mobile is that there are a lot of areas where it does
>not roam onto AT&T and I've experienced those areas (I did not just
>search for areas where T-Mobile doesn't have coverage but AT&T does).
>It's not just prepaid that often can't roam either.
>
>Now it's possible that I happened to be in the only areas in the U.S.
>where roaming onto AT&T isn't allowed, but I doubt it.
>
>I guess the question is this: "Does StraightTalk T-Mobile roam onto AT&T
>in areas where T-Mobile T-Mobile does not roam onto AT&T? I don't know.
>If I put in a Zip Code where I know AT&T has coverage but T-Mobile
>doesn't, I get "Straight Talk does not offer service in the zip code you
>entered," when I would think I should be offered an AT&T based
>StraightTalk phone since AT&T does offer coverage, and sell service in
>the area (and there is even a Wal-Mart not too far away).
>
>If I enter one of the problem Zip Codes into the T-Mobile site I get
>"T-Mobile does not currently provide service in the XXXXX area. However,
>we are continuously expanding service, so please check back again."
>
>I was hoping that T-Mobile's maps were wrong, and that they had actually
>added roaming in these AT&T areas as a result of the penalties for the
>failed acquisition by AT&T, but that was not the case; the maps were
>correct.
>
>Now if you never leave urban areas, that's another story. T-Mobile is
>acceptable in most urban areas. If you travel to, or through, more rural
>areas then it's beneficial to have the additional coverage.


Most of our time is in urban areas. T-Mobile has not failed me yet,
and not even Page Plus cannot beat the prepaid plan I have with them.
My wife has Page Plus and so we are covered when we travel.

>
>If I were AT&T I would be saying to myself, "I spent a fortune putting
>up cell towers in sparsely populated areas where most of the use will be
>from my customers visiting or passing through these areas so why should
>I enable my low-cost competitor to provide coverage here?"


AT&T could just as well ask why they shoudn't pick up the money from
T-Mobile customers which it costs us nothing to service since our
towers there are not at capacity. Maybe you will show a user of a low
cost competitor there is a reason to use AT&T instead, and you are
really unlikely to convince them of anything by not allowing them to
roam because they have no idea why they can't make a call.

Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 01-16-2013, 11:05 PM
j.riddle0512@gmail.com
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Straight Talk iPhone is On Verizon's Network, but No LTE and No Roaming

On Monday, January 14, 2013 9:05:35 PM UTC-7, tlvp wrote:
> On Mon, 14 Jan 2013 14:02:27 -0800, sms wrote:
>
>
>
> > Using the Straight Talk zip code test, (59801 or 57016) it appears that

>
> > the Straight Talk iPhones are all on Verizon's network.

>
>
>
> And what's it take to port such a handset over to PagePlus :-) ?
>
>
>
> Cheers, -- tlvp
>
> --
>
> Avant de repondre, jeter la poubelle, SVP.




On Monday, January 14, 2013 9:05:35 PM UTC-7, tlvp wrote:
> On Mon, 14 Jan 2013 14:02:27 -0800, sms wrote:
>
>
>
> > Using the Straight Talk zip code test, (59801 or 57016) it appears that

>
> > the Straight Talk iPhones are all on Verizon's network.

>
>
>
> And what's it take to port such a handset over to PagePlus :-) ?
>
>
>
> Cheers, -- tlvp
>
> --
>
> Avant de repondre, jeter la poubelle, SVP.


Molon Labe is right. You must mean "what's it take to activate a handset onPage Plus?". Page Plus uses a network of authorized dealers. You can activate an iPhone 4 or 4s from Verizon with a clean esn. iPhone 5 won't work. Iuse kwikcellular.com for my page plus activations and PINs.

Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old 01-17-2013, 02:43 AM
tlvp
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Straight Talk iPhone is On Verizon's Network, but No LTE and No Roaming

On Mon, 14 Jan 2013 23:05:35 -0500, tlvp wrote, and now needs to clarify
the intent of:

>> Using the Straight Talk zip code test, (59801 or 57016) it appears that
>> the Straight Talk iPhones are all on Verizon's network.

>
> And what's it take to port such a handset over to PagePlus :-) ?


I'm supposing these Straight Talk iPhones have various settings carefully
designed for use with Straight Talk (browser gateway, MMS gateway, etc.).

Won't these need adjusting if those handsets are to be used successfully
with PagePlus? I was asking: "what's it take" to carry out those
adjustments? Often the requisite settings are deeply hidden behind secret
menus ... .

Thanks for bearing with me on this, despite my misleading initial query.

And cheers, -- tlvp
--
Avant de repondre, jeter la poubelle, SVP.

Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old 01-17-2013, 03:12 AM
Justin
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Straight Talk iPhone is On Verizon's Network, but No LTE and NoRoaming

tlvp wrote on [Wed, 16 Jan 2013 22:43:13 -0500]:
> On Mon, 14 Jan 2013 23:05:35 -0500, tlvp wrote, and now needs to clarify
> the intent of:
>
>>> Using the Straight Talk zip code test, (59801 or 57016) it appears that
>>> the Straight Talk iPhones are all on Verizon's network.

>>
>> And what's it take to port such a handset over to PagePlus :-) ?

>
> I'm supposing these Straight Talk iPhones have various settings carefully
> designed for use with Straight Talk (browser gateway, MMS gateway, etc.).


It wouldn't need a gateway, would it? Since it's a real browser with real
internet access


Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old 01-17-2013, 02:10 PM
Molon Labe
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Straight Talk iPhone is On Verizon's Network, but No LTE andNo Roaming

On 1/16/13 10:43 PM, tlvp wrote:
> On Mon, 14 Jan 2013 23:05:35 -0500, tlvp wrote, and now needs to clarify
> the intent of:
>
>>> Using the Straight Talk zip code test, (59801 or 57016) it appears that
>>> the Straight Talk iPhones are all on Verizon's network.

>>
>> And what's it take to port such a handset over to PagePlus :-) ?

>
> I'm supposing these Straight Talk iPhones have various settings carefully
> designed for use with Straight Talk (browser gateway, MMS gateway, etc.).
>
> Won't these need adjusting if those handsets are to be used successfully
> with PagePlus? I was asking: "what's it take" to carry out those
> adjustments? Often the requisite settings are deeply hidden behind secret
> menus ... .
>
> Thanks for bearing with me on this, despite my misleading initial query.
>
> And cheers, -- tlvp
>


Well I don't know about the current crop of smart phones but a few years
ago, I bought a Straight Talk CDMA Moto W385 at Wally's, used it for a
few years on ST, then decided to move to PagePlus.

I called PP customer service and they ported my number and activated
that phone. All I had to do was call the OTA programming number *228 or
some such-- and I was good to go. No reprogramming the phone, no fuss.

--
...the right of the people to keep and bear Arms shall not be
infringed.
--US Constitution, Amendment II

Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old 01-17-2013, 05:53 PM
nobody@nada.com
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Straight Talk iPhone is On Verizon's Network, but No LTE and No Roaming

On Wed, 16 Jan 2013 16:05:39 -0800 (PST), j.riddle0512@gmail.com
wrote:

>On Monday, January 14, 2013 9:05:35 PM UTC-7, tlvp wrote:
>> On Mon, 14 Jan 2013 14:02:27 -0800, sms wrote:
>>
>>
>>
>> > Using the Straight Talk zip code test, (59801 or 57016) it appears that

>>
>> > the Straight Talk iPhones are all on Verizon's network.

>>
>>
>>
>> And what's it take to port such a handset over to PagePlus :-) ?
>>
>>
>>
>> Cheers, -- tlvp
>>
>> --
>>
>> Avant de repondre, jeter la poubelle, SVP.

>
>
>
>On Monday, January 14, 2013 9:05:35 PM UTC-7, tlvp wrote:
>> On Mon, 14 Jan 2013 14:02:27 -0800, sms wrote:
>>
>>
>>
>> > Using the Straight Talk zip code test, (59801 or 57016) it appears that

>>
>> > the Straight Talk iPhones are all on Verizon's network.

>>
>>
>>
>> And what's it take to port such a handset over to PagePlus :-) ?
>>
>>
>>
>> Cheers, -- tlvp
>>
>> --
>>
>> Avant de repondre, jeter la poubelle, SVP.

>
>Molon Labe is right. You must mean "what's it take to activate a handset on Page Plus?". Page Plus uses a network of authorized dealers. You can activate an iPhone 4 or 4s from Verizon with a clean esn. iPhone 5 won't work. I use kwikcellular.com for my page plus activations and PINs.



Or you can just call Page Plus and activate over the phone for free.
Some dealers want an unreasonable amount. One local one wanted $25.

Reply With Quote
Reply


« Just had a look at Verizon | Samsung Galaxy S3 on PagePlus? »
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT. The time now is 11:04 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45