Go Back   Wireless and Wifi Forums > Cellular Communications > US Networks > alt.cellular.verizon
Register FAQ Forum Rules Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Advertise Mark Forums Read

 
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 11-11-2007, 03:43 PM
Norbert 26
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default tether laptop to phone

i am going to stay in an apartment for about a month some remodeling /
construction and repairs are done to my home. I have a samsung SCH u740
on my plan i have 900 minutes with the $15 Vcast enabled. I also have
the unlimited text messaging enabled. The phone would provide me with
very basic internet access . However of course it would be better if i
could tether the laptop even if i use MOU. What exactly do i need to
acheive this ???


Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 11-11-2007, 04:24 PM
Joseph Wheeler
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: tether laptop to phone

"Norbert 26" <starship_2001@msn.com> wrote in message
news:362-47373147-1068@baytvnwsxa001.msntv.msn.com...
>i am going to stay in an apartment for about a month some remodeling /
> construction and repairs are done to my home. I have a samsung SCH u740
> on my plan i have 900 minutes with the $15 Vcast enabled. I also have
> the unlimited text messaging enabled. The phone would provide me with
> very basic internet access . However of course it would be better if i
> could tether the laptop even if i use MOU. What exactly do i need to
> acheive this ???
>


Unless both have BT, you'll need a cable...and I think there's some upcharge
with VZW if you want to do that-- unless of course they don't catch you ;-)



Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 11-11-2007, 04:47 PM
Norbert 26
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: tether laptop to phone

the notebook unfortnatly does not have BT the phone does. I need a cable
exactly which cable do i need.


Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 11-11-2007, 05:23 PM
Frankster
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: tether laptop to phone

You need a USB cable for your phone (search on eBay - probably about $10.00)
and you need to tell VZW to add the Broadband Access Connect aka Tethering
feature to your phone for $60/mo. This feature can be added and cancelled at
will without affecting your plan type or your contract date. You can even
add/remove it in a week or so and you'll only pay 1 weeks worth of the
$60/mo charge.

-Frank

"Norbert 26" <starship_2001@msn.com> wrote in message
news:362-47373147-1068@baytvnwsxa001.msntv.msn.com...
>i am going to stay in an apartment for about a month some remodeling /
> construction and repairs are done to my home. I have a samsung SCH u740
> on my plan i have 900 minutes with the $15 Vcast enabled. I also have
> the unlimited text messaging enabled. The phone would provide me with
> very basic internet access . However of course it would be better if i
> could tether the laptop even if i use MOU. What exactly do i need to
> acheive this ???
>



Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 11-11-2007, 10:09 PM
Jon
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: tether laptop to phone

Frankster wrote:
> You need a USB cable for your phone (search on eBay - probably about
> $10.00) and you need to tell VZW to add the Broadband Access Connect aka
> Tethering feature to your phone for $60/mo. This feature can be added
> and cancelled at will without affecting your plan type or your contract
> date. You can even add/remove it in a week or so and you'll only pay 1
> weeks worth of the $60/mo charge.
>
> -Frank
>
> "Norbert 26" <starship_2001@msn.com> wrote in message
> news:362-47373147-1068@baytvnwsxa001.msntv.msn.com...
>> i am going to stay in an apartment for about a month some remodeling /
>> construction and repairs are done to my home. I have a samsung SCH u740
>> on my plan i have 900 minutes with the $15 Vcast enabled. I also have
>> the unlimited text messaging enabled. The phone would provide me with
>> very basic internet access . However of course it would be better if i
>> could tether the laptop even if i use MOU. What exactly do i need to
>> acheive this ???
>>

>

You dont NEED to call them and tell them that you want the tethering
feature (which is $60/month), you can use a program called QPST to
change 1 internal setting on the phone (which is removing 4 characters
that verizon put on the phone to block it without paying) to allow you
to use it as a modem FOR FREE! (and since you have VCast/Unlimited Data
plan, you will not get charged per MB used!)

Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 11-11-2007, 10:22 PM
Larry
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: tether laptop to phone

starship_2001@msn.com (Norbert 26) wrote in news:331-4737403F-1468
@baytvnwsxa002.msntv.msn.com:

> the notebook unfortnatly does not have BT the phone does. I need

a cable
> exactly which cable do i need.
>
>


Why not buy a $15 Bluetooth USB dongle for the laptop?

Larry
--
You can tell there's extremely
intelligent life in the universe
because they have never called Earth.

Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 11-11-2007, 10:25 PM
Jon
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: tether laptop to phone

Larry wrote:
> starship_2001@msn.com (Norbert 26) wrote in news:331-4737403F-1468
> @baytvnwsxa002.msntv.msn.com:
>
>> the notebook unfortnatly does not have BT the phone does. I need

> a cable
>> exactly which cable do i need.
>>
>>

>
> Why not buy a $15 Bluetooth USB dongle for the laptop?
>
> Larry

That is what I did, why hassle with hooking your phone up to your laptop
if you can do it wirelessly!

Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 11-12-2007, 01:53 AM
Jon
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: tether laptop to phone

Pegleg wrote:
> On Sun, 11 Nov 2007 17:09:51 -0600, Jon <Jon@cebridge.net> wrote:
>
>> You dont NEED to call them and tell them that you want the tethering
>> feature (which is $60/month), you can use a program called QPST to
>> change 1 internal setting on the phone (which is removing 4 characters
>> that verizon put on the phone to block it without paying) to allow you
>> to use it as a modem FOR FREE! (and since you have VCast/Unlimited Data
>> plan, you will not get charged per MB used!)

>
> And verizon will have no idea what you are doing?


It will just appear as data, which could be VCast video, Music, Get it
now, ect.

Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 11-12-2007, 01:56 AM
Jon
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: tether laptop to phone

Pegleg wrote:
> On Sun, 11 Nov 2007 17:09:51 -0600, Jon <Jon@cebridge.net> wrote:
>
>> You dont NEED to call them and tell them that you want the tethering
>> feature (which is $60/month), you can use a program called QPST to
>> change 1 internal setting on the phone (which is removing 4 characters
>> that verizon put on the phone to block it without paying) to allow you
>> to use it as a modem FOR FREE! (and since you have VCast/Unlimited Data
>> plan, you will not get charged per MB used!)

>
> And verizon will have no idea what you are doing?

And I don't use it that often either (maybe 2-3 days a month, and just
for surfing)

Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 11-12-2007, 02:11 AM
Larry
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: tether laptop to phone

Jon <Jon@cebridge.net> wrote in news:fh8fcc$7ke$2@aioe.org:

> And I don't use it that often either (maybe 2-3 days a month, and

just
> for surfing)
>
>


It will be amazing, and VERY stupid on Verizon's part, not to
restrict access to such an account to the Vcast servers, not the
whole internet.

Are they THAT stupid??!

Larry
--
You can tell there's extremely
intelligent life in the universe
because they have never called Earth.

Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old 11-12-2007, 02:21 AM
Jon
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: tether laptop to phone

Larry wrote:
> Jon <Jon@cebridge.net> wrote in news:fh8fcc$7ke$2@aioe.org:
>
>> And I don't use it that often either (maybe 2-3 days a month, and

> just
>> for surfing)
>>
>>

>
> It will be amazing, and VERY stupid on Verizon's part, not to
> restrict access to such an account to the Vcast servers, not the
> whole internet.
>
> Are they THAT stupid??!
>
> Larry

Oh crap I just noticed 1 thing, I signed up for the 1x tethering, but
the little trick I did just lets me use EVDO tethering. (So basically, I
am signed up for tethering.)

Should have checked my plan before I posted here.
(So now I have no clue if you can tether without a tethering plan or not).

Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old 11-12-2007, 02:38 AM
Larry
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: tether laptop to phone

Jon <Jon@cebridge.net> wrote in news:fh8gsc$bip$1@aioe.org:

> Larry wrote:
>> Jon <Jon@cebridge.net> wrote in news:fh8fcc$7ke$2@aioe.org:
>>
>>> And I don't use it that often either (maybe 2-3 days a month,

and
>> just
>>> for surfing)
>>>
>>>

>>
>> It will be amazing, and VERY stupid on Verizon's part, not to
>> restrict access to such an account to the Vcast servers, not

the
>> whole internet.
>>
>> Are they THAT stupid??!
>>
>> Larry

> Oh crap I just noticed 1 thing, I signed up for the 1x

tethering, but
> the little trick I did just lets me use EVDO tethering. (So

basically,
> I am signed up for tethering.)
>
> Should have checked my plan before I posted here.
> (So now I have no clue if you can tether without a tethering

plan or
> not).
>


Ah, I can see this working. Just Vcast should be only hooked up
INSIDE VZW, not to the net directly, like a company intranet.

Don't test the 5GB/mo limit.

I've wondered about the email and webpage nonsense since the NY
lawsuit. What about webpages like BBC Radio that have streaming
built into them. That's a webpage! Because it streams BBC
radio, is it a webpage or a forbidden streamer?? Who decides?

Ah, well, another project for the NY State Attorney General...(c;

Larry
--
You can tell there's extremely
intelligent life in the universe
because they have never called Earth.

Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old 11-12-2007, 02:51 AM
Jon
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: tether laptop to phone

Larry wrote:
> Jon <Jon@cebridge.net> wrote in news:fh8gsc$bip$1@aioe.org:
>
>> Larry wrote:
>>> Jon <Jon@cebridge.net> wrote in news:fh8fcc$7ke$2@aioe.org:
>>>
>>>> And I don't use it that often either (maybe 2-3 days a month,

> and
>>> just
>>>> for surfing)
>>>>
>>>>
>>> It will be amazing, and VERY stupid on Verizon's part, not to
>>> restrict access to such an account to the Vcast servers, not

> the
>>> whole internet.
>>>
>>> Are they THAT stupid??!
>>>
>>> Larry

>> Oh crap I just noticed 1 thing, I signed up for the 1x

> tethering, but
>> the little trick I did just lets me use EVDO tethering. (So

> basically,
>> I am signed up for tethering.)
>>
>> Should have checked my plan before I posted here.
>> (So now I have no clue if you can tether without a tethering

> plan or
>> not).
>>

>
> Ah, I can see this working. Just Vcast should be only hooked up
> INSIDE VZW, not to the net directly, like a company intranet.
>
> Don't test the 5GB/mo limit.
>
> I've wondered about the email and webpage nonsense since the NY
> lawsuit. What about webpages like BBC Radio that have streaming
> built into them. That's a webpage! Because it streams BBC
> radio, is it a webpage or a forbidden streamer?? Who decides?
>
> Ah, well, another project for the NY State Attorney General...(c;
>
> Larry

Well when it comes to stuff like that (when the page itself has
streaming media that you cannot control), you should not be at fault.

Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old 11-12-2007, 03:21 AM
Larry
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: tether laptop to phone

Jon <Jon@cebridge.net> wrote in news:fh8il4$g2f$1@aioe.org:

> Well when it comes to stuff like that (when the page itself has
> streaming media that you cannot control), you should not be at

fault.
>
>


Even if you left it playing for a few hours?...(c;


Maemo Mapper is constantly downloading high resolution satellite
images to my Nokia N800 little Linux tablet over Alltel while I'm
cruising around in my waste-frying-oil-powered Mercedes diesel.
It's using quite a bit of bandwidth to do so from Virtual Earth's
server...map and satphoto composite is my favorite.

http://maemo.org/downloads/product/OS2007/maemo-mapper
http://gnuite.com:8080/nokia770/maemo-mapper/

Larry
--
Totally cool to have GPS-powered Google Earth on your dash...
....or in your pocket!


Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old 11-12-2007, 03:27 AM
Jon
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: tether laptop to phone

Larry wrote:
> Jon <Jon@cebridge.net> wrote in news:fh8il4$g2f$1@aioe.org:
>
>> Well when it comes to stuff like that (when the page itself has
>> streaming media that you cannot control), you should not be at

> fault.
>>

>
> Even if you left it playing for a few hours?...(c;
>
>
> Maemo Mapper is constantly downloading high resolution satellite
> images to my Nokia N800 little Linux tablet over Alltel while I'm
> cruising around in my waste-frying-oil-powered Mercedes diesel.
> It's using quite a bit of bandwidth to do so from Virtual Earth's
> server...map and satphoto composite is my favorite.
>
> http://maemo.org/downloads/product/OS2007/maemo-mapper
> http://gnuite.com:8080/nokia770/maemo-mapper/
>
> Larry

Well I have a feeling that Alltel is not as strict on its bandwidth
enforcement as Verizon is, so consider yourself lucky!

Reply With Quote
  #16 (permalink)  
Old 11-12-2007, 04:13 AM
Larry
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: tether laptop to phone

Jon <Jon@cebridge.net> wrote in news:fh8koo$lei$1@aioe.org:

> Well I have a feeling that Alltel is not as strict on its

bandwidth
> enforcement as Verizon is, so consider yourself lucky!
>
>


Yes, I consider myself very lucky in that respect. There's no
"enforcement" at all! I've received no threats and they seem quite
happy to be paid for service.

Larry
--
You can tell there's extremely
intelligent life in the universe
because they have never called Earth.

Reply With Quote
  #17 (permalink)  
Old 11-12-2007, 11:00 AM
Norbert 26
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: tether laptop to phone

OK
i got it i have two choices. Get either the USB cable or a BT dongle for
the notebook. I would prefer the USB wire but besides EBAY where can i
easily obtain it ??? (i wont have time to wait for ebay shipping and
auction endings). I know VZW has a music kit for the phone for $29.95.
Does this contain that cable ???


Reply With Quote
  #18 (permalink)  
Old 11-12-2007, 11:20 AM
Jon
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: tether laptop to phone

Norbert 26 wrote:
> OK
> i got it i have two choices. Get either the USB cable or a BT dongle for
> the notebook. I would prefer the USB wire but besides EBAY where can i
> easily obtain it ??? (i wont have time to wait for ebay shipping and
> auction endings). I know VZW has a music kit for the phone for $29.95.
> Does this contain that cable ???
>

It does, but in my opinion, that is way too much. You can get a BT
dongle for ~$10 at other stores.

Reply With Quote
  #19 (permalink)  
Old 11-13-2007, 12:45 AM
Peter Pan
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: tether laptop to phone

> On Mon, 12 Nov 2007 04:00:59 -0800, starship_2001@msn.com (Norbert 26)
> wrote:
>
> OK
> i got it i have two choices. Get either the USB cable or a BT dongle
> for the notebook. I would prefer the USB wire but besides EBAY where
> can i easily obtain it ??? (i wont have time to wait for ebay
> shipping and auction endings). I know VZW has a music kit for the
> phone for $29.95. Does this contain that cable ???


Forgot what type of phone you had, I just got a cable for my sisters phone
(vx8300), for $9.95, and got an email from that place for free shipping this
month....
As for where? When I was looking I searched for (www.search.com) a vx8300
usb cable (just did it again so I could post actual numbers Results 1 - 10
of about 9,790 for vx8300 usb cable)....

I would suggest searching for a cable using the actual model number of your
phone......



Reply With Quote
  #20 (permalink)  
Old 11-13-2007, 01:50 PM
Norbert 26
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: tether laptop to phone

Thanks everyone.
i ended up coming across the BT dongle first and went that route after
all. It took about 5 or 6 tries and a few hours of work and some HF
searching to figure it all out. A few minutes ago i hit paydirt and
connected VIA 1x at 115KBS !!!!


Reply With Quote
  #21 (permalink)  
Old 11-13-2007, 06:58 PM
Jon
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: tether laptop to phone

Norbert 26 wrote:
> Thanks everyone.
> i ended up coming across the BT dongle first and went that route after
> all. It took about 5 or 6 tries and a few hours of work and some HF
> searching to figure it all out. A few minutes ago i hit paydirt and
> connected VIA 1x at 115KBS !!!!
>

If you search deeper on the internet (coughHOWARDFORUMS.COMcough), you
can find out how to enable tethering to EVDO for no additional cost!
(requires a little hacking, though)

Reply With Quote
Reply


« Tablet Toys for Christmas.. | LG VX5400 - comments? »
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Laptop Warranty Problems Andy alt.comp.hardware 11 10-22-2007 12:02 AM
Question about internet access via laptop and mobile phone. OM uk.telecom.mobile 1 12-26-2006 02:06 PM
Need Advise: Gaming laptop: Intel core 2 Duo OR Turion 64 X2 Dual Core TL-50 1.6GHz with nVIDIA Goadude alt.comp.hardware 5 11-15-2006 07:39 PM
Cancelled Contract - Return Phone PajaP uk.telecom.mobile 35 11-01-2006 06:03 PM


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:52 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45