Go Back   Wireless and Wifi Forums > Cellular Communications > US Networks > alt.cellular.verizon
Register FAQ Forum Rules Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Advertise Mark Forums Read

 
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 11-11-2006, 06:24 AM
Ange1o DePa1ma
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default trolls and other vermin


As you all know, Usenet is plagued by *******s who post outrageous messages,
almost always anonymously. Their goal is to destroy the newsgroups they
visit. And...the worst thing you can do for this group, and for yourself, is
to respnd to them.

If you simply ignore them, eventually they go away. They are the lowest form
of life -- they thrive on attention. Don't give it to them.

The most common pitfall newsgroup visitors make is to get caught up in
self-righteousness in response to their posts. I don't like the "N" word
either, but if you respond to their use of terms like that all you're doing
is encouraging them to post more crap, to keep coming back.

Some of my favorite newsgroups have been taken over by trolls, and I have
stopped reading those groups. Please, don't let this happen here.

When you see an objectionable post IGORE IT. That is the only way to get
back at these idiots. IGNORE THEM.

Angelo



Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 11-11-2006, 03:14 PM
Mij Adyaw
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: trolls and other vermin

That is a good idea: Don't feed the trolls. Oops, I just fed you!

"Ange1o DePa1ma" <angelodpnospam@nospam.gmail.com> wrote in message
news:EZOcnV4ytvFJ58jYUSdV9g@ptd.net...
>
> As you all know, Usenet is plagued by *******s who post outrageous
> messages, almost always anonymously. Their goal is to destroy the
> newsgroups they visit. And...the worst thing you can do for this group,
> and for yourself, is to respnd to them.
>
> If you simply ignore them, eventually they go away. They are the lowest
> form of life -- they thrive on attention. Don't give it to them.
>
> The most common pitfall newsgroup visitors make is to get caught up in
> self-righteousness in response to their posts. I don't like the "N" word
> either, but if you respond to their use of terms like that all you're
> doing is encouraging them to post more crap, to keep coming back.
>
> Some of my favorite newsgroups have been taken over by trolls, and I have
> stopped reading those groups. Please, don't let this happen here.
>
> When you see an objectionable post IGORE IT. That is the only way to get
> back at these idiots. IGNORE THEM.
>
> Angelo
>




Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 11-11-2006, 03:41 PM
clifto
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: trolls and other vermin

Ange1o DePa1ma wrote:
> When you see an objectionable post IGORE IT. That is the only way to get
> back at these idiots. IGNORE THEM.


You need to get a real newsreader and use killfiles. I can't tell what
in particular you're talking about, mainly because I use killfiles.

--
"A man's country is not a certain area of land, of mountains, rivers, and
woods, but it is a principle; and patriotism is loyalty to that principle."
-- George William Curtis

Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 11-12-2006, 10:35 PM
Ange1o DePa1ma
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: trolls and other vermin

"clifto" <clifto@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:62bh24-jj5.ln1@remote.clifto.com...
> Ange1o DePa1ma wrote:
>> When you see an objectionable post IGORE IT. That is the only way to get
>> back at these idiots. IGNORE THEM.

>
> You need to get a real newsreader and use killfiles. I can't tell what
> in particular you're talking about, mainly because I use killfiles.
>
> --
> "A man's country is not a certain area of land, of mountains, rivers, and
> woods, but it is a principle; and patriotism is loyalty to that
> principle."
> -- George William Curtis


Outlook express has a mechanism for blocking senders, which I use.
Unfortunately these low-lifes change servers, email addresses, nicknames,
etc. Would a "real" newsreader take care of that?

Regardless, in the real world trolls destroy newsgroups, killfiles or no
killfiles. I've seen it happen. It is imperative not to respond to them in
any way.



Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 11-12-2006, 11:35 PM
Diamond Dave
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: trolls and other vermin

On Sat, 11 Nov 2006 10:41:10 -0600, clifto <clifto@gmail.com> wrote:

>Ange1o DePa1ma wrote:
>> When you see an objectionable post IGORE IT. That is the only way to get
>> back at these idiots. IGNORE THEM.

>
>You need to get a real newsreader and use killfiles. I can't tell what
>in particular you're talking about, mainly because I use killfiles.


What one do you use? I use Agent 4.1.

Dave


Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 11-15-2006, 02:44 AM
Ange1o DePa1ma
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: trolls and other vermin


"clifto" <clifto@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:62bh24-jj5.ln1@remote.clifto.com...
> Ange1o DePa1ma wrote:
>> When you see an objectionable post IGORE IT. That is the only way to get
>> back at these idiots. IGNORE THEM.

>
> You need to get a real newsreader and use killfiles. I can't tell what
> in particular you're talking about, mainly because I use killfiles.


So do I (although I did not realize until a couple of days ago that it was
called that). Unfortunately, I'm so pissed off at legit posters who respond
to them that I'm killfiling them too.

I'm assuming they're legit.

If this keeps up this newsgroup is history.



Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 11-16-2006, 07:22 PM
clifto
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: trolls and other vermin

Ange1o DePa1ma wrote:
> "clifto" <clifto@gmail.com> wrote...
>> You need to get a real newsreader and use killfiles. I can't tell what
>> in particular you're talking about, mainly because I use killfiles.

>
> Outlook express has a mechanism for blocking senders, which I use.
> Unfortunately these low-lifes change servers, email addresses, nicknames,
> etc. Would a "real" newsreader take care of that?


I'm not sure how much OE allows you to do with its mechanism, but many
"real" newsreaders are pretty versatile. Sorry I can't give names, I've
been on linux too long (using KNode if that helps).

Often you can find a commonality in the headers of the various posts the
troll makes, and kill its messages using that. There are even a few
cases where I've killfiled based on the originating news server and
found that to be "lossless compression", i.e. nothing worthwhile missed.

--
"A man's country is not a certain area of land, of mountains, rivers, and
woods, but it is a principle; and patriotism is loyalty to that principle."
-- George William Curtis

Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 11-16-2006, 07:32 PM
clifto
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: trolls and other vermin

Diamond Dave wrote:
> On Sat, 11 Nov 2006 10:41:10 -0600, clifto <clifto@gmail.com> wrote:
>>You need to get a real newsreader and use killfiles. I can't tell what
>>in particular you're talking about, mainly because I use killfiles.

>
> What one do you use? I use Agent 4.1.


I'm using linux and KNode. A lot of people really like Agent. I forget
what I used to use in my Windows days, but the maker dropped support
for it years ago so it doesn't matter anyway.

--
"A man's country is not a certain area of land, of mountains, rivers, and
woods, but it is a principle; and patriotism is loyalty to that principle."
-- George William Curtis

Reply With Quote
Reply


« Battery Problem LG6100 | Test Message »
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT. The time now is 02:01 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45