Back to soup cans and string
Vallejo man's cell phone ignites in pocket, causing serious burns http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cg...n171034S73.DTL
A cell phone apparently ignited in a man's pocket and started a fire that
burned his hotel room and caused severe burns over half his body, fire
department officials said.
Luis Picaso, 59, of Vallejo was in stable condition Monday at UC Davis
Medical Center with second and third-degree burns to his upper body, back,
right arm and right leg, Vallejo Fire Department assistant chief Kurt Henke
Firefighters arrived at the residential hotel late Saturday night to find
Picaso lying on the bathroom floor after the cell phone in Picaso's pants
pocket set fire to his nylon and polyester clothes, department spokesman
Bill Tweedy said.
"It was either a malfunction or some type of glitch in his phone," Tweedy
said, adding that investigators found no other possible ignition source,
such as matches or open flame, nearby.
The flames spread to a plastic chair, setting off a sprinkler that held the
fire in check until firefighters arrived, he said.
Authorities declined to name the manufacturer and model of the phone.
The fire and water caused $75,000 damage to the room and a business on the
ground floor, Tweedy said.
The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena; whose face is
marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs and
comes short again and again; who knows the great enthusiasms, the great
devotions and spends himself in a worthy cause. Who at the best, knows the
triumph of high achievement; and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least
fails while daring greatly.
T.R. April 10, 1899