Go Back   Wireless and Wifi Forums > Cellular Communications > US Networks > alt.cellular.verizon
Register FAQ Forum Rules Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Advertise Mark Forums Read

 
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 12-30-2007, 09:44 AM
Cubit
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default VZ Blackberry selection?

My brother wants some new Blackberry that can take photos, but the local VZ
store told him the new Blackberry phone can only be used on AT&T.

The store tried to talk him into something called a Pearl, but apparently
that phone does not have a qwerty keyboard, which is a non-negotiable
feature for my brother.

Was the info right?

For my brother, price is no object. He needs VZ because it is the only
service that covers the area he works in. He also needs to be able to email
photos to clients on a realtime basis.

He insists on Blackberries because (according to him) it delivers his emails
faster than other phones/setups.

I have heard of digital cameras with bluetooth built in. Might there be a
way to use such a camera and use bluetooth to get the photos into his
blackberry, and then emailed out?

Is there a Blackberry with a camera and a qwerty keyboard available on
Verizon?




Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 12-31-2007, 06:26 PM
Carl
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: VZ Blackberry selection?

Cubit wrote:
> My brother wants some new Blackberry that can take photos, but the
> local VZ store told him the new Blackberry phone can only be used on
> AT&T.
> The store tried to talk him into something called a Pearl, but
> apparently that phone does not have a qwerty keyboard, which is a
> non-negotiable feature for my brother.
>
> Was the info right?
>
> For my brother, price is no object. He needs VZ because it is the
> only service that covers the area he works in. He also needs to be
> able to email photos to clients on a realtime basis.
>
> He insists on Blackberries because (according to him) it delivers his
> emails faster than other phones/setups.
>
> I have heard of digital cameras with bluetooth built in. Might there
> be a way to use such a camera and use bluetooth to get the photos
> into his blackberry, and then emailed out?
>
> Is there a Blackberry with a camera and a qwerty keyboard available on
> Verizon?
>

Some of what you wrote seems contradictory to me. The Pearl (8130) is a
Blackberry which just recently arrived at Verizon, so it is new to them. I
just bought one. So the Verizon sales person wasn't trying to "talk you
into" anything, but seems to have been trying to help you find what you were
looking for within the scope of what's available to him. Their other BB
model, the World Phone 8830, doesn't have a camera.

I'm curious as to which Blackberry you think is the "new" one? Is it the
Curve? I'll tell you about that in a moment.

The Pearl is a wonderful phone. It has a 2 MP camera built in which has a
flash and a 5x zoom lens. It also takes movies. You have no storage
limitations because it accepts up to an 8GB microSD card. It works very well
as a phone and, of course, being a BB, does email very well.

And, actually the Pearl does have a qwerty keyboard. Look at it closely. The
difference is in that two letters share each key instead of the usual
one-letter-per-key arrangement. But they are in "qwerty" order. That does
change things a little bit, but if you put in the little time it takes to
learn it, it may be worth it. The Pearl uses a system called Suretype. You
just type the word you want, just as if you were using a standard qwerty
keyboard, and it 'guesses' the word. It is accurate almost all of the time,
as long as you have faith in it. If it does guess incorrectly, it is very
easy to correct it, no harder than fixing one of your own typos on a
standard qwerty keyboard. The advantage is that it allows qwerty in the
limited space of a very small phone, and it can actually save you typing
time on longer words, for it usually guesses them before you finish typing
them! There was a learning curve, but now that I've developed faith in it, I
find it efficient to use.

Now, back to the Curve, one of BB's latest additions. I think it will be
model 8330 when it's introduced to Verizon. I may even trade my Pearl in for
one when they are available, and I'll tell you why in a moment. Rumor has it
that the Curve will be available to Verizon within the nest few months,
sometime in the Spring. So, if you can wait, that may be the one for your
brother.

It does all the things a Pearl does, but it has a full qwerty keyboard and
doesn't rely on Suretype. Of course, it's larger, somewhere in-between the
Pearl and the 8830 World Phone. And the reason I might prefer it: it adds
Wi-Fi to the rest of the feature set. Of course, I actually prefer small
phones, the size of the Pearl, so I will be torn when it becomes available,
but I do think Wi-Fi will become an important element within the next year
or two in the cell phone/internet world. I, for example, would be able to
reduce the cost of my current data plan right now, if my phone did Wi-Fi
since Wi-Fi is available to me both in my home and my office when I want to
use the phone on the 'net. Now, I use data download time, so I have to
maintain an unlimited data plan.

Anyway, I hope this little treatise helps you and gives you some direction.
Let us know what your brother eventually does. Good luck.



Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 12-31-2007, 08:15 PM
Cubit
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: VZ Blackberry selection?


"Carl" <crothman@NOSPAMoptonline.net> wrote in message
news:477941fa$0$13856$607ed4bc@cv.net...
> Cubit wrote:
>> My brother wants some new Blackberry that can take photos, but the
>> local VZ store told him the new Blackberry phone can only be used on
>> AT&T.
>> The store tried to talk him into something called a Pearl, but
>> apparently that phone does not have a qwerty keyboard, which is a
>> non-negotiable feature for my brother.
>>
>> Was the info right?
>>
>> For my brother, price is no object. He needs VZ because it is the
>> only service that covers the area he works in. He also needs to be
>> able to email photos to clients on a realtime basis.
>>
>> He insists on Blackberries because (according to him) it delivers his
>> emails faster than other phones/setups.
>>
>> I have heard of digital cameras with bluetooth built in. Might there
>> be a way to use such a camera and use bluetooth to get the photos
>> into his blackberry, and then emailed out?
>>
>> Is there a Blackberry with a camera and a qwerty keyboard available on
>> Verizon?
>>

> Some of what you wrote seems contradictory to me. The Pearl (8130) is a
> Blackberry which just recently arrived at Verizon, so it is new to them. I
> just bought one. So the Verizon sales person wasn't trying to "talk you
> into" anything, but seems to have been trying to help you find what you
> were looking for within the scope of what's available to him. Their other
> BB model, the World Phone 8830, doesn't have a camera.
>
> I'm curious as to which Blackberry you think is the "new" one? Is it the
> Curve? I'll tell you about that in a moment.
>
> The Pearl is a wonderful phone. It has a 2 MP camera built in which has a
> flash and a 5x zoom lens. It also takes movies. You have no storage
> limitations because it accepts up to an 8GB microSD card. It works very
> well as a phone and, of course, being a BB, does email very well.
>
> And, actually the Pearl does have a qwerty keyboard. Look at it closely.
> The difference is in that two letters share each key instead of the usual
> one-letter-per-key arrangement. But they are in "qwerty" order. That does
> change things a little bit, but if you put in the little time it takes to
> learn it, it may be worth it. The Pearl uses a system called Suretype. You
> just type the word you want, just as if you were using a standard qwerty
> keyboard, and it 'guesses' the word. It is accurate almost all of the
> time, as long as you have faith in it. If it does guess incorrectly, it is
> very easy to correct it, no harder than fixing one of your own typos on a
> standard qwerty keyboard. The advantage is that it allows qwerty in the
> limited space of a very small phone, and it can actually save you typing
> time on longer words, for it usually guesses them before you finish typing
> them! There was a learning curve, but now that I've developed faith in it,
> I find it efficient to use.
>
> Now, back to the Curve, one of BB's latest additions. I think it will be
> model 8330 when it's introduced to Verizon. I may even trade my Pearl in
> for one when they are available, and I'll tell you why in a moment. Rumor
> has it that the Curve will be available to Verizon within the nest few
> months, sometime in the Spring. So, if you can wait, that may be the one
> for your brother.
>
> It does all the things a Pearl does, but it has a full qwerty keyboard and
> doesn't rely on Suretype. Of course, it's larger, somewhere in-between the
> Pearl and the 8830 World Phone. And the reason I might prefer it: it adds
> Wi-Fi to the rest of the feature set. Of course, I actually prefer small
> phones, the size of the Pearl, so I will be torn when it becomes
> available, but I do think Wi-Fi will become an important element within
> the next year or two in the cell phone/internet world. I, for example,
> would be able to reduce the cost of my current data plan right now, if my
> phone did Wi-Fi since Wi-Fi is available to me both in my home and my
> office when I want to use the phone on the 'net. Now, I use data download
> time, so I have to maintain an unlimited data plan.
>
> Anyway, I hope this little treatise helps you and gives you some
> direction. Let us know what your brother eventually does. Good luck.
>
>


Thanks for the info on the upcoming "Curve" and the explanation of the Pearl
keyboard.

Right now, I'm looking at the Kodak V610 bluetooth enabled camera and
wondering if the Blackberry would accept photos from it and include the
photo in an email.




Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 01-01-2008, 01:05 AM
Carl
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: VZ Blackberry selection?


"Cubit" <no@not.not> wrote in message
news:qYcej.3558$lo5.2825@newssvr19.news.prodigy.ne t...
>
> "Carl" <crothman@NOSPAMoptonline.net> wrote in message
> news:477941fa$0$13856$607ed4bc@cv.net...
>> Cubit wrote:

>
> Right now, I'm looking at the Kodak V610 bluetooth enabled camera and
> wondering if the Blackberry would accept photos from it and include the
> photo in an email.
>

I'm not sure I fully understand your question but I'll try to address it. By
the way, the BB's (BlackBerrys) I'm talking about (the 8130, 8330) are both
bluetooth-enabled. I have a BT headset, a BT car hands-free system, and a BT
GPS receiver all linked to mine and they all work.

The BB, when it connects to your computer through its Desktop Management
software, behaves almost like an independent hard drive. The software has a
function called Media Manager which lets you load songs, ringtones, videos
and pictures from your computer onto the device, and another function called
Switch Device Wizard which lets you "transfer data from a Blackberry device
or other device to a Blackberry device".

They seem to have covered all bases.

I have loaded, for example, all my tunes from my iPod iTunes directory onto
my Pearl. Even the categories were preserved. I have transferred pictures
from my desktop onto the Pearl without any problem. All of the data in my
calendar, contacts, tasks, and notes synced over without a hitch. Nothing is
missing. I use MS Outlook and was using a Dell Axim pocket PC PDA.

Hope this helps.



Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 01-01-2008, 01:14 AM
Carl
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: VZ Blackberry selection?


"Cubit" <no@not.not> wrote in message
news:qYcej.3558$lo5.2825@newssvr19.news.prodigy.ne t...
>
> "Carl" <crothman@NOSPAMoptonline.net> wrote in message
> news:477941fa$0$13856$607ed4bc@cv.net...
>> Cubit wrote:

>
> Right now, I'm looking at the Kodak V610 bluetooth enabled camera and
> wondering if the Blackberry would accept photos from it and include the
> photo in an email.
>

Oh, I think I see now. You want to take pics with the Kodak camera (sorry,
I'm not familiar with it and thought you were talking about another
camera/phone), and transfer the pics via BT to the Blackberry, and then
email them using the BB. Is that the idea?

If the camera is recognizable as a BT device, it should be linkable to the
BB. But I can't know if this will work that way, sorry.

If I may ask, what does the Kodak V610 do as a camera that the Blackberry's
camera doesn't do, that your brother needs?



Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 01-01-2008, 04:06 PM
Cubit
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: VZ Blackberry selection?


"Carl" <crothman@NOSPAMoptonline.net> wrote in message
news:4779a184$0$13868$607ed4bc@cv.net...
>
> "Cubit" <no@not.not> wrote in message
> news:qYcej.3558$lo5.2825@newssvr19.news.prodigy.ne t...
>>
>> "Carl" <crothman@NOSPAMoptonline.net> wrote in message
>> news:477941fa$0$13856$607ed4bc@cv.net...
>>> Cubit wrote:

>>
>> Right now, I'm looking at the Kodak V610 bluetooth enabled camera and
>> wondering if the Blackberry would accept photos from it and include the
>> photo in an email.
>>

> Oh, I think I see now. You want to take pics with the Kodak camera (sorry,
> I'm not familiar with it and thought you were talking about another
> camera/phone), and transfer the pics via BT to the Blackberry, and then
> email them using the BB. Is that the idea?
>
> If the camera is recognizable as a BT device, it should be linkable to the
> BB. But I can't know if this will work that way, sorry.
>
> If I may ask, what does the Kodak V610 do as a camera that the
> Blackberry's camera doesn't do, that your brother needs?
>


His Blackberry doesn't have a camera built in, and he didn't like the Pearl.



Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 01-01-2008, 05:50 PM
Carl
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: VZ Blackberry selection?


"Cubit" <no@not.not> wrote in message
news:mquej.85777$YL5.71223@newssvr29.news.prodigy. net...
>
> "Carl" <crothman@NOSPAMoptonline.net> wrote in message
> news:4779a184$0$13868$607ed4bc@cv.net...
>>
>> "Cubit" <no@not.not> wrote in message
>> news:qYcej.3558$lo5.2825@newssvr19.news.prodigy.ne t...
>>>
>>> "Carl" <crothman@NOSPAMoptonline.net> wrote in message
>>> news:477941fa$0$13856$607ed4bc@cv.net...
>>>> Cubit wrote:
>>>
>>> Right now, I'm looking at the Kodak V610 bluetooth enabled camera and
>>> wondering if the Blackberry would accept photos from it and include the
>>> photo in an email.
>>>

>> Oh, I think I see now. You want to take pics with the Kodak camera
>> (sorry, I'm not familiar with it and thought you were talking about
>> another camera/phone), and transfer the pics via BT to the Blackberry,
>> and then email them using the BB. Is that the idea?
>>
>> If the camera is recognizable as a BT device, it should be linkable to
>> the BB. But I can't know if this will work that way, sorry.
>>
>> If I may ask, what does the Kodak V610 do as a camera that the
>> Blackberry's camera doesn't do, that your brother needs?
>>

>
> His Blackberry doesn't have a camera built in, and he didn't like the
> Pearl.
>
>

I see. Then the question is beyond my scope. If his BB has bluetooth, try
and see if it will link with the camera and allow the pics to be
transferred.

One way or the other then, wait for the Curve. From what I know of it now,
it should be the answer your brother is looking for.

Good luck.



Reply With Quote
Reply


« M,I`5'Pers ecution ' my res ponse to the harassm ent | Verizon Blackberry - Japan »
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
MSN Messenger on Blackberry? (long and angst-ridden) Angus Rodgers uk.telecom.mobile 10 11-13-2007 12:34 PM
Blackberry - Outlook - Exchange question Graham uk.telecom.mobile 1 07-23-2007 09:53 PM
Potential Blackberry Pearl buyers be aware..... RMZ alt.cellular.cingular 3 06-27-2007 05:35 AM
Blackberry Pearl problems.... RMZ alt.cellular.cingular 4 05-16-2007 07:41 PM
BlackBerry 7130c and Cingular 8525 messaging question Drew alt.cellular.cingular 0 01-04-2007 09:18 PM


All times are GMT. The time now is 09:05 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45