Go Back   Wireless and Wifi Forums > Cellular Communications > US Networks > alt.cellular.verizon
Register FAQ Forum Rules Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Advertise Mark Forums Read

 
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 10-17-2006, 05:48 AM
veg_all@yahoo.com
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Will verizon work in the caribbean?

i am interested in taking a vacation to the caribbean and was wondering
where I can expect my US based phone to work the same as in the
contintental usa. i am not interested in purchasing any 'international
coverage', just want to be able to use my minutes the same way I use
them now. Some options are:

San Juan Puerto Rico
US Virgin Islands
Bahamas
Nassau?


Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 10-17-2006, 10:04 PM
Bert Hyman
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Will verizon work in the caribbean?

In news:1161060523.510057.175060@m7g2000cwm.googlegro ups.com veg_all@yahoo.com wrote:

> i am interested in taking a vacation to the caribbean and was
> wondering where I can expect my US based phone to work ...


http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/m...ialinginst.jsp

--
Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN bert@iphouse.com

Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 10-18-2006, 01:01 AM
Ubin
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Will verizon work in the caribbean?

<veg_all@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:1161060523.510057.175060@m7g2000cwm.googlegro ups.com...
>i am interested in taking a vacation to the caribbean and was wondering
> where I can expect my US based phone to work the same as in the
> contintental usa. i am not interested in purchasing any 'international
> coverage', just want to be able to use my minutes the same way I use
> them now. Some options are:
>
> San Juan Puerto Rico
> US Virgin Islands
> Bahamas
> Nassau?



We just returned from a cruise ( Royal Caribbean) to those ( Nassau is IN
the Bahamas).
No signal until we were within about 2 hours of Miami.

Sprint and T-Mobile had REPEATERS on the ship and many people had service
through the whole cruise.




Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 10-18-2006, 02:51 AM
amstaffs@home.com
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Will verizon work in the caribbean?

On Tue, 17 Oct 2006 17:01:21 -0700, "Ubin" <trapspam@gmail.com> graced
this newsgroup with:

><veg_all@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>news:1161060523.510057.175060@m7g2000cwm.googlegr oups.com...
>>i am interested in taking a vacation to the caribbean and was wondering
>> where I can expect my US based phone to work the same as in the
>> contintental usa. i am not interested in purchasing any 'international
>> coverage', just want to be able to use my minutes the same way I use
>> them now. Some options are:
>>
>> San Juan Puerto Rico
>> US Virgin Islands
>> Bahamas
>> Nassau?

>
>
>We just returned from a cruise ( Royal Caribbean) to those ( Nassau is IN
>the Bahamas).
>No signal until we were within about 2 hours of Miami.
>
>Sprint and T-Mobile had REPEATERS on the ship and many people had service
>through the whole cruise.
>
>


Verizon works fine in the USVI


Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 10-18-2006, 01:27 PM
George
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Will verizon work in the caribbean?

Ubin wrote:

>
>
> We just returned from a cruise ( Royal Caribbean) to those ( Nassau is IN
> the Bahamas).
> No signal until we were within about 2 hours of Miami.
>
> Sprint and T-Mobile had REPEATERS on the ship and many people had service
> through the whole cruise.
>
>
>


Sounds like a great way to have a *vacation*. I just can't understand
why people need cellphones on a cruise ship on *vacation*.

Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 10-18-2006, 01:38 PM
Frankster
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Will verizon work in the caribbean?

> Sounds like a great way to have a *vacation*. I just can't understand why
> people need cellphones on a cruise ship on *vacation*.


-To stay in contact with their 88 y/o mother because she appreciates it?

There are a million valid reasons to communicate while on vacation. Who the
hell are you to judge or question anyone's motives or reasons?

-Frank



Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 10-18-2006, 02:16 PM
George
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Will verizon work in the caribbean?

Frankster wrote:
>> Sounds like a great way to have a *vacation*. I just can't understand why
>> people need cellphones on a cruise ship on *vacation*.

>
> -To stay in contact with their 88 y/o mother because she appreciates it?
>


Perhaps, but I really object to the current popular trend that we all
need to be on an electronic leash...


> There are a million valid reasons to communicate while on vacation. Who the
> hell are you to judge or question anyone's motives or reasons?
>


Actually it is an interesting concept called free speech. Who exactly do
you think you are that you can decide that I don't have the right of
free speech?


> -Frank
>
>


Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 10-18-2006, 02:50 PM
Frankster
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Will verizon work in the caribbean?


"George" <george@nospam.invalid> wrote in message
news:k4adnWxcE8y2tKvYnZ2dnUVZ_sKdnZ2d@adelphia.com ...
> Frankster wrote:
>>> Sounds like a great way to have a *vacation*. I just can't understand
>>> why people need cellphones on a cruise ship on *vacation*.

>>
>> -To stay in contact with their 88 y/o mother because she appreciates it?
>>

>
> Perhaps, but I really object to the current popular trend that we all need
> to be on an electronic leash...
>
>
>> There are a million valid reasons to communicate while on vacation. Who
>> the hell are you to judge or question anyone's motives or reasons?
>>

>
> Actually it is an interesting concept called free speech. Who exactly do
> you think you are that you can decide that I don't have the right of free
> speech?
>
>
>> -Frank


Whatsamatter... you think free speech is only for you?

-Frank



Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 10-18-2006, 03:28 PM
George
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Will verizon work in the caribbean?

Frankster wrote:

> Whatsamatter... you think free speech is only for you?
>
> -Frank
>
>

Of course not. Consider what you wrote. You didn't say "I disagree with
you". You chose to appoint yourself king and wrote "Who the
hell are you to judge or question anyone's motives or reasons?"

Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 10-18-2006, 03:50 PM
Remove This
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Will verizon work in the caribbean?

Plonkthread implemented

--
I work for the ILEC ...." stuff happens! "



"George" <george@nospam.invalid> wrote in message
news:9s6dnapmEsMAgKvYnZ2dnUVZ_rCdnZ2d@adelphia.com ...
> Ubin wrote:
>
>>
>>
>> We just returned from a cruise ( Royal Caribbean) to those ( Nassau is IN
>> the Bahamas).
>> No signal until we were within about 2 hours of Miami.
>>
>> Sprint and T-Mobile had REPEATERS on the ship and many people had service
>> through the whole cruise.
>>
>>
>>

>
> Sounds like a great way to have a *vacation*. I just can't understand why
> people need cellphones on a cruise ship on *vacation*.



Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old 10-18-2006, 03:56 PM
SMS
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Will verizon work in the caribbean?

veg_all@yahoo.com wrote:
> i am interested in taking a vacation to the caribbean and was wondering
> where I can expect my US based phone to work the same as in the
> contintental usa. i am not interested in purchasing any 'international
> coverage', just want to be able to use my minutes the same way I use
> them now. Some options are:
>
> San Juan Puerto Rico
> US Virgin Islands
> Bahamas
> Nassau?


Not sure about Nassau, but the other three have Verizon coverage--at a
price. It could be costing you $1.29 per minute, you won't be using your
minutes the same way you are using them now.

Note that the Verizon web site is incomplete in terms of the countries
that have coverage.

My family went on a Caribbean cruise earlier this year and had coverage
in most ports, other than Haiti.

If you're on a cruise, CDMA phones have greater range from shore than
GSM phones.

Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old 10-18-2006, 04:07 PM
Frankster
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Will verizon work in the caribbean?

Although you don't have to "purchase international coverage", you do have to
have international dialing enabled on your account. It is free. Call VZW and
request it. It is not there by default.

I have used VZW in a few of the places you mention. Can't remember which for
sure. I believe I've used VZW in US VI and Nassau. Check the list at the
link given in another response for VZW country coverage.

-Frank

<veg_all@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:1161060523.510057.175060@m7g2000cwm.googlegro ups.com...
>i am interested in taking a vacation to the caribbean and was wondering
> where I can expect my US based phone to work the same as in the
> contintental usa. i am not interested in purchasing any 'international
> coverage', just want to be able to use my minutes the same way I use
> them now. Some options are:
>
> San Juan Puerto Rico
> US Virgin Islands
> Bahamas
> Nassau?
>




Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old 10-18-2006, 06:25 PM
Steven J. Sobol
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Will verizon work in the caribbean?

In article <k4adnWxcE8y2tKvYnZ2dnUVZ_sKdnZ2d@adelphia.com>, George wrote:
> Frankster wrote:
>>> Sounds like a great way to have a *vacation*. I just can't understand why
>>> people need cellphones on a cruise ship on *vacation*.

>>
>> -To stay in contact with their 88 y/o mother because she appreciates it?
>>

>
> Perhaps, but I really object to the current popular trend that we all
> need to be on an electronic leash...


If you have kids or an elderly parent, it's not a question of being on a leash,
it's a question of being available if something happens.



--
Steve Sobol, Professional Geek ** Java/VB/VC/PHP/Perl ** Linux/*BSD/Windows
Victorville, California PGP:0xE3AE35ED

It's all fun and games until someone starts a bonfire in the living room.

Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old 10-18-2006, 09:24 PM
Peter Ross
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Will verizon work in the caribbean?

On several visits to Puerto Rico and the US Virgins - the most recent of
which was about 4 years ago - I was able to use Verizon with no problem
on a phone on which international calling had not been enabled. The
calls, to and from the US and around the island were included in my
domestic minutes with no surcharge. As you get away from the main
areas, San Juan, Charlotte Amalie, coverage becomes far less assured.

Frankster wrote:
> Although you don't have to "purchase international coverage", you do have to
> have international dialing enabled on your account. It is free. Call VZW and
> request it. It is not there by default.
>
> I have used VZW in a few of the places you mention. Can't remember which for
> sure. I believe I've used VZW in US VI and Nassau. Check the list at the
> link given in another response for VZW country coverage.
>
> -Frank
>
> <veg_all@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> news:1161060523.510057.175060@m7g2000cwm.googlegro ups.com...
>
>>i am interested in taking a vacation to the caribbean and was wondering
>>where I can expect my US based phone to work the same as in the
>>contintental usa. i am not interested in purchasing any 'international
>>coverage', just want to be able to use my minutes the same way I use
>>them now. Some options are:
>>
>>San Juan Puerto Rico
>>US Virgin Islands
>>Bahamas
>>Nassau?
>>

>
>
>


Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old 10-19-2006, 06:25 PM
Janet Wilder
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Will verizon work in the caribbean?

Steven J. Sobol wrote:

>>Perhaps, but I really object to the current popular trend that we all
>>need to be on an electronic leash...

>
>
> If you have kids or an elderly parent, it's not a question of being on a leash,
> it's a question of being available if something happens.


In the olden days before cell phones, we traveled. Took cruises and the
like. There was always a way that we could be notified in an emergancy
and we took great care to leave our children with people whom we knew
were responsible. We would leave a notorized "parental" authority with
them.

How did we all manage life before cell phones?
JMTCW



--
Janet Wilder
Bad spelling. Bad punctuation
Good Friends. Good Life

Reply With Quote
  #16 (permalink)  
Old 10-19-2006, 09:02 PM
Dennis Ferguson
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Will verizon work in the caribbean?

On 2006-10-18, EB <ebonak-a-@t-hotmail.com> wrote:
> Just to toss in one more data point (though somewhat off).
>
> A friend of mine used her verizon phone in Southern Mexico
> (Oaxaca) w/o any problems this past summer. (Only text messaging
> didn't seem to work for her .. not sure why. Would only analog
> coverage make a difference? Not sure if that was the case .. just
> curious)


While the topic is well off the original query...

The service Verizon phones get in the places I've been in
central and southern Mexico is from Iusacell, a company Verizon
once controlled. There is analog service in these areas, but
it pretty much never makes sense to use it because the analog
service always seems to be associated with CDMA service and the
CDMA service always works better.

I can confirm, however, that you can't send or receive text messages
from a Verizon phone connected via Iusacell CDMA service anywhere
I've been except maybe Mexico City (I say "maybe" since I'm not
sure whether the service in Mexico City was from Iusacell or from
someone else; dialing procedures were a bit different in Mexico
City as well). I don't know why this is so, nor does Verizon, and
the Iusacell people I talked to thought I should fix it by buying a
real Iusacell phone.

The cheapest solution seems to be to buy prepaid Mexican service for
sending and receiving text messages, but to use the Verizon phone
for making voice calls since (with NAC) the latter is significantly
cheaper than the Mexican companies. So I carry two phones there...

Dennis Ferguson

Reply With Quote
  #17 (permalink)  
Old 10-19-2006, 09:37 PM
Frankster
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Will verizon work in the caribbean?


"Janet Wilder" <kelliepoodle@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:4537b4b7$0$31156$c3e8da3@news.astraweb.com...
> Steven J. Sobol wrote:
>
>>>Perhaps, but I really object to the current popular trend that we all
>>>need to be on an electronic leash...

>>
>>
>> If you have kids or an elderly parent, it's not a question of being on a
>> leash,
>> it's a question of being available if something happens.

>
> In the olden days before cell phones, we traveled. Took cruises and the
> like. There was always a way that we could be notified in an emergancy and
> we took great care to leave our children with people whom we knew were
> responsible. We would leave a notorized "parental" authority with them.
>
> How did we all manage life before cell phones?
> JMTCW
>
>
>
> --
> Janet Wilder
> Bad spelling. Bad punctuation
> Good Friends. Good Life


The same way we managed to to send mail... the old fashioned way - in an
envelope with a stamp. Now we have email. Sure wouldn't want to go back. But
you are welcome to if you like the old inconventient ways better.

-Frank



Reply With Quote
  #18 (permalink)  
Old 12-03-2006, 10:13 PM
Ray
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Will verizon work in the caribbean?



> In the olden days before cell phones, we traveled. Took cruises and the
> like. There was always a way that we could be notified in an emergancy and
> we took great care to leave our children with people whom we knew were
> responsible. We would leave a notorized "parental" authority with them.
>
> How did we all manage life before cell phones?
> JMTCW
>
>


Well...I'm going on a cruise in January , to the Caribbean , and if I
couldn't easily communicate I wouldn't be going. So in the olden days ,
people with little or no responsibilities could travel anywhere without
worry , but people with larger responsibilities just couldn't go . Thanks to
modern technology , everyone can now travel AND still handle whatever
responsibility may have prevented them from doing so in the past.


Ray Kloc





Reply With Quote
  #19 (permalink)  
Old 12-31-2006, 10:15 PM
David W Studeman
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Will verizon work in the caribbean?

Ray wrote:

>
>
>> In the olden days before cell phones, we traveled. Took cruises and the
>> like. There was always a way that we could be notified in an emergancy
>> and we took great care to leave our children with people whom we knew
>> were responsible. We would leave a notorized "parental" authority with
>> them.
>>
>> How did we all manage life before cell phones?
>> JMTCW
>>
>>

>
> Well...I'm going on a cruise in January , to the Caribbean , and if I
> couldn't easily communicate I wouldn't be going. So in the olden days ,
> people with little or no responsibilities could travel anywhere without
> worry , but people with larger responsibilities just couldn't go . Thanks
> to modern technology , everyone can now travel AND still handle whatever
> responsibility may have prevented them from doing so in the past.
>
>
> Ray Kloc


What's the point? You have managed to have yourself electronically leashed
as if you are some sort of pet. People really do enslave themselves
sometimes. Actually, in the past, it was mainly those with large
responsibilities that could even afford to travel in the first place. I'm
sure that the world economy would not collapse in your absence, even if if
it did, you could save the world when you get back.


Dave

Reply With Quote
  #20 (permalink)  
Old 01-01-2007, 01:21 PM
George Hein
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Will verizon work in the caribbean?

On a few Islands I went to I saw some service. I don't always get
service where I live, White Plains,NY 25 miles from Times Square.

Do not expect any guarantees.

Reply With Quote
Reply


« Upgrading to VX8300 | 700p voice dial? »
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
UNSCRUPULOUS VERIZON still HARASSING people! Freedom Fighter alt.cellular.verizon 53 02-14-2007 03:22 AM
Verizon rejected Apple iPhone deal Billybobh3 alt.cellular.cingular 49 02-05-2007 04:43 AM
Verizon rejected Apple iPhone deal Billybobh3 alt.cellular.verizon 53 02-05-2007 04:43 AM
VERIZON SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Jean Duvalloise alt.cellular.verizon 19 10-14-2006 12:39 PM
Long hard drive access times... Random Person alt.comp.hardware 13 08-02-2005 11:49 PM


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:05 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45