Go Back   Wireless and Wifi Forums > News > Newsgroups > alt.comp.hardware
Register FAQ Forum Rules Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Advertise Mark Forums Read

 
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 04-02-2007, 02:44 PM
GT
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default 775 heatsink performance review

Can someone point me to a decent heatsink performance review for 775 socket
processors please. Thanks.



Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 04-02-2007, 03:56 PM
GT
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 775 heatsink performance review

"GT" <ContactGT_remove_@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:46110824$0$469$c3e8da3@news.astraweb.com...
> Can someone point me to a decent heatsink performance review for 775
> socket processors please. Thanks.


And are Peltier devices any good for cooling a CPU?. I know very little
about them, but why might I not want to put one between my Core 2 Duo e6400
and a large heatsink with a 120mm slow fan? An example one on ebay - item
number 220096987821.



Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 04-02-2007, 07:18 PM
kony
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 775 heatsink performance review

On Mon, 2 Apr 2007 15:56:51 +0100, "GT"
<ContactGT_remove_@hotmail.com> wrote:

>"GT" <ContactGT_remove_@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>news:46110824$0$469$c3e8da3@news.astraweb.com.. .
>> Can someone point me to a decent heatsink performance review for 775
>> socket processors please. Thanks.

>
>And are Peltier devices any good for cooling a CPU?.


It's possible to get gain using one, but generally reserved
for those who know a lot about them or are willing to spend
a lot for a pre-made kit. Unnecessary unless you're
overclocking or running in an extreme environment (very hot
room, desert, etc).


>I know very little
>about them,


.... then don't use one, until you know for certain you have
a situation that needs one, and even in such a situation it
might be as well to just try water cooling first.


>but why might I not want to put one between my Core 2 Duo e6400
>and a large heatsink with a 120mm slow fan? An example one on ebay - item
>number 220096987821.
>


How about just getting a normal heatsink that has received
good reviews? They run hot but not impossibly hot, there
are millions of systems out in the world running fine
without anything exotic to cool them.


Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 04-03-2007, 09:53 AM
GT
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 775 heatsink performance review

After a little background reading, plus comments here, I've dropped the
Peltier idea - there is much more to it than just plugging one in and
designing a careful airflow round the heatsink, so I'll not bother with
that!

> How about just getting a normal heatsink that has received
> good reviews? They run hot but not impossibly hot, there
> are millions of systems out in the world running fine
> without anything exotic to cool them.


I didn't originally state the following as I was hoping for a simply
comparison table website with performance and noise figures that I could
read through myself, but I'm after silence, rather than overclocking and
cold. Environment in the room is 'normal' office temperatures 19-22 degC
(Scotland). I can easily research and find the maximum temperature of a Core
2 e6400, but what would you all say is a 'good' working temperature for
prolonged life?



Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 04-03-2007, 06:36 PM
kony
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 775 heatsink performance review

On Tue, 3 Apr 2007 09:53:48 +0100, "GT"
<ContactGT_remove_@hotmail.com> wrote:

>After a little background reading, plus comments here, I've dropped the
>Peltier idea - there is much more to it than just plugging one in and
>designing a careful airflow round the heatsink, so I'll not bother with
>that!
>
>> How about just getting a normal heatsink that has received
>> good reviews? They run hot but not impossibly hot, there
>> are millions of systems out in the world running fine
>> without anything exotic to cool them.

>
>I didn't originally state the following as I was hoping for a simply
>comparison table website with performance and noise figures that I could
>read through myself, but I'm after silence, rather than overclocking and
>cold. Environment in the room is 'normal' office temperatures 19-22 degC
>(Scotland). I can easily research and find the maximum temperature of a Core
>2 e6400, but what would you all say is a 'good' working temperature for
>prolonged life?
>


60C or less at full load.

Reply With Quote
Reply


« Gutting a Dell OptiPlex GX270 for parts | Re: Replace harddrive that has 3 partitions »
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
HPSBGN02187 SSRT061280 rev.1 - Mercury LoadRunner, Performance Center, Monitor over Firewall, Remote Unauthenticated Arbitrary Code Execution Security Alert comp.security.misc 0 02-08-2007 10:06 PM
Does thermal paste go off? D-Dan alt.comp.hardware 1 09-28-2005 07:53 PM
Upgrade Report [Reinvent Your PC: Performance Boosters - 07/12/2005] Ablang alt.comp.hardware 0 07-14-2005 04:13 AM
Re: Heatsink Bolooser11 alt.comp.hardware 0 07-08-2005 07:24 PM


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:51 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45