Go Back   Wireless and Wifi Forums > News > Newsgroups > alt.comp.hardware
Register FAQ Forum Rules Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Advertise Mark Forums Read

 
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 07-20-2005, 10:30 PM
Jack Gillis
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default AMD Duron 1.3gh Operating Temperature

I found the specs for the Duron 1300 cpu at www.cpu-world.com

The operating temp range for the chip was shown to be 0-90 C. Can
someone tell me what I might expect the 'normal' temp should be when the
CPU usage is between 15% and 20% with no HD activity other than Win XP
doing its housekeeping?

Thank you very much



----== Posted via Newsfeeds.Com - Unlimited-Uncensored-Secure Usenet News==----
http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! 120,000+ Newsgroups
----= East and West-Coast Server Farms - Total Privacy via Encryption =----

Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 07-20-2005, 11:33 PM
Shepİ
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: AMD Duron 1.3gh Operating Temperature

On Wed, 20 Jul 2005 18:30:12 -0400 As Andoids Dreamed Of Electric
Sheep and then "Jack Gillis" <XXXXXXXX@widomaker.com> wrote :

>I found the specs for the Duron 1300 cpu at www.cpu-world.com
>
>The operating temp range for the chip was shown to be 0-90 C. Can
>someone tell me what I might expect the 'normal' temp should be when the
>CPU usage is between 15% and 20% with no HD activity other than Win XP
>doing its housekeeping?
>
>Thank you very much


Depends on the ambient temperature of your systems' environment and
the efficiency of the HSF and the internal structure,setup of your
case/fan/s.
Anything below 55 Deg C on the hottest day/your room under extreme
long time gaming loads then don't worry.



--
Free Windows/PC help,
http://www.geocities.com/sheppola/trouble.html

Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 07-21-2005, 12:38 AM
Cuzman
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: AMD Duron 1.3gh Operating Temperature

Jack Gillis wrote:

" Can someone tell me what I might expect the 'normal' temp should be
when the CPU usage is between 15% and 20% with no HD activity other than
Win XP doing its housekeeping? "


I have a Duron 1300Mhz in one of my systems, which has a Thermaltake
Volcano 11+ Xaser Edition with the fan on the lowest setting. I get an
idle temperature of 31-37C, depending on ambient temperature. I'm sure
I could hit the 20's if I turned the fan speed up, but it goes from
*barely audible* to 45dBA. That makes it sound like a vacuum cleaner.

Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 07-21-2005, 01:54 AM
Jack Gillis
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: AMD Duron 1.3gh Operating Temperature


"Cuzman" <cuzNOSPAM@supanet.com> wrote in message
news:dbmqq0$8ka$1@news.freedom2surf.net...
> Jack Gillis wrote:
>
> " Can someone tell me what I might expect the 'normal' temp should be
> when the CPU usage is between 15% and 20% with no HD activity other
> than Win XP doing its housekeeping? "
>
>
> I have a Duron 1300Mhz in one of my systems, which has a Thermaltake
> Volcano 11+ Xaser Edition with the fan on the lowest setting. I get
> an idle temperature of 31-37C, depending on ambient temperature. I'm
> sure I could hit the 20's if I turned the fan speed up, but it goes
> from *barely audible* to 45dBA. That makes it sound like a vacuum
> cleaner.


Thank you. You have given me something to shoot for. Right now I am
running about 42C which seems still a little high. I did manage to drop
it about 3 degrees simply by getting most of the dust off of the
heatsink and surrounding areas. The ambient is about 25C.



----== Posted via Newsfeeds.Com - Unlimited-Uncensored-Secure Usenet News==----
http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! 120,000+ Newsgroups
----= East and West-Coast Server Farms - Total Privacy via Encryption =----

Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 07-21-2005, 07:41 AM
kony
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: AMD Duron 1.3gh Operating Temperature

On Wed, 20 Jul 2005 21:54:15 -0400, "Jack Gillis"
<XXXXXXXX@widomaker.com> wrote:

>
>"Cuzman" <cuzNOSPAM@supanet.com> wrote in message
>news:dbmqq0$8ka$1@news.freedom2surf.net...
>> Jack Gillis wrote:
>>
>> " Can someone tell me what I might expect the 'normal' temp should be
>> when the CPU usage is between 15% and 20% with no HD activity other
>> than Win XP doing its housekeeping? "
>>
>>
>> I have a Duron 1300Mhz in one of my systems, which has a Thermaltake
>> Volcano 11+ Xaser Edition with the fan on the lowest setting. I get
>> an idle temperature of 31-37C, depending on ambient temperature. I'm
>> sure I could hit the 20's if I turned the fan speed up, but it goes
>> from *barely audible* to 45dBA. That makes it sound like a vacuum
>> cleaner.

>
>Thank you. You have given me something to shoot for. Right now I am
>running about 42C which seems still a little high. I did manage to drop
>it about 3 degrees simply by getting most of the dust off of the
>heatsink and surrounding areas. The ambient is about 25C.



There is no need whatsoever to get it running cooler than
42C. Further efforts would be best made towards reducing
noise, or any other possible heat sources, IF those are
applicable, problematic.

Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 07-21-2005, 09:35 AM
Jack Gillis
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: AMD Duron 1.3gh Operating Temperature


"kony" <spam@spam.com> wrote in message
news:bskud11s5i87855qeqdc8ksl9ou44q25ti@4ax.com...
> On Wed, 20 Jul 2005 21:54:15 -0400, "Jack Gillis"
> <XXXXXXXX@widomaker.com> wrote:
>
>>
>>"Cuzman" <cuzNOSPAM@supanet.com> wrote in message
>>news:dbmqq0$8ka$1@news.freedom2surf.net...
>>> Jack Gillis wrote:


(Snip)

>>Thank you. You have given me something to shoot for. Right now I am
>>running about 42C which seems still a little high. I did manage to
>>drop
>>it about 3 degrees simply by getting most of the dust off of the
>>heatsink and surrounding areas. The ambient is about 25C.

>
>
> There is no need whatsoever to get it running cooler than
> 42C. Further efforts would be best made towards reducing
> noise, or any other possible heat sources, IF those are
> applicable, problematic.
>


Thanks again for the time you took to reply. I will, as you suggest,
let it be. BTW, noise is no big deal within reason because my hearing
aid is broken and I don't hear much anyway.



----== Posted via Newsfeeds.Com - Unlimited-Uncensored-Secure Usenet News==----
http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! 120,000+ Newsgroups
----= East and West-Coast Server Farms - Total Privacy via Encryption =----

Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 07-21-2005, 09:48 AM
kony
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: AMD Duron 1.3gh Operating Temperature

On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 07:41:10 GMT, kony <spam@spam.com>
wrote:


>There is no need whatsoever to get it running cooler than
>42C. Further efforts would be best made towards reducing
>noise, or any other possible heat sources, IF those are
>applicable, problematic.


However, the primary indicator of sufficient cooling/temp is
the component(s) temp during extended full load conditions,
plus factoring for highest (reasonably) possible ambient
temp rises (typically seasonal changes).

Towards that end, it can be good to run a stress test, for
example Prime 95's Torture Test for maximal CPU temps, or
overall system temps, something more like 3DMark2001 or 2003
(newer versions not doing as well as they may leave the CPU
with lesser utilization since the video card is typically
the bottleneck).

Some people also try to stress their HDDs, but usually those
are cooled by (non-preheated) intake air which should not
have changed based on other system loads, and the HDD
thermal increase isn't such a significant impact on
pre-heating air to further components that it makes a
significant different in their temps. That's not to suggest
a HDD can be ignored, only that it's usually not necessary
to stress 'em during other component thermal testing.

Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 07-22-2005, 04:07 PM
GT
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: AMD Duron 1.3gh Operating Temperature

"Jack Gillis" <XXXXXXXX@widomaker.com> wrote in message
news:42df0179$1_1@spool9-west.superfeed.net...
>
> "Cuzman" <cuzNOSPAM@supanet.com> wrote in message
> news:dbmqq0$8ka$1@news.freedom2surf.net...
>> Jack Gillis wrote:
>>
>> " Can someone tell me what I might expect the 'normal' temp should be
>> when the CPU usage is between 15% and 20% with no HD activity other than
>> Win XP doing its housekeeping? "
>>
>>
>> I have a Duron 1300Mhz in one of my systems, which has a Thermaltake
>> Volcano 11+ Xaser Edition with the fan on the lowest setting. I get an
>> idle temperature of 31-37C, depending on ambient temperature. I'm sure I
>> could hit the 20's if I turned the fan speed up, but it goes from *barely
>> audible* to 45dBA. That makes it sound like a vacuum cleaner.

>
> Thank you. You have given me something to shoot for. Right now I am
> running about 42C which seems still a little high. I did manage to drop
> it about 3 degrees simply by getting most of the dust off of the heatsink
> and surrounding areas. The ambient is about 25C.


That temperature is fine - quite 'normal'. If you really want to get it
cooler (no need), then you could consider reducing the CPU voltage and/or
replacing the heatsink + fan, but I wouldn't bother doing either! If you do
lower the CPU voltage, this will have a big effect on the heat output, but
could cause your system to lock-up, so try it in the smallest steps your
BIOS will allow and run the PC for several hours between drops. If you get a
single crash, then put the voltage back up a step until it runs stabley. If
you lower it too far at once, then the PC will not start and you have to
reset the BIOS.

I run my athlon 2500 at 1.525v instead of its normal 1.65v, its only 7%
lower, but the heat reduction is logarithmic (or is it exponential?!?), so
more than 7% cooler. There are formulas which I used to know, but maybe
someone else can help us here.



Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 07-22-2005, 04:14 PM
GT
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: AMD Duron 1.3gh Operating Temperature

"stabley" doesn't look like a word, but its in the dictionary!!



Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 07-22-2005, 05:13 PM
kony
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: AMD Duron 1.3gh Operating Temperature

On Fri, 22 Jul 2005 17:07:03 +0100, "GT"
<ContactGT_remove_@hotmail.com> wrote:

>If you do
>lower the CPU voltage, this will have a big effect on the heat output, but
>could cause your system to lock-up, so try it in the smallest steps your
>BIOS will allow and run the PC for several hours between drops. If you get a
>single crash, then put the voltage back up a step until it runs stabley. If
>you lower it too far at once, then the PC will not start and you have to
>reset the BIOS.


Because voltage reduction introduces the (very real)
potential for errors in addition to failure to post at all,
it's usually best to only lower the voltage the least
possible, boot system and run Prime95's Turture Test for
awhile. I find it quite typical that an undervolted CPU
will boot, run windows and apps- appear otherwise fine but
once one begins to elevate the temp a bit that's when the
instability appears.

>
>I run my athlon 2500 at 1.525v instead of its normal 1.65v, its only 7%
>lower, but the heat reduction is logarithmic (or is it exponential?!?), so
>more than 7% cooler. There are formulas which I used to know, but maybe
>someone else can help us here.
>


Heat reduction = (original voltage - new voltage)²

To get an accurate reading the voltage levels must be
measured at socket-well under full load, but since the exact
figure isn't necessary to know rather than a ballpark
figure, more traditional means will suffice.

Reply With Quote
Reply


« emachines docking station | Solvent for Thermal Compounds »
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Temperature Questions Merioles alt.comp.hardware 2 02-19-2007 09:02 AM
Hard Drive Temperature Nehmo alt.comp.hardware 36 10-26-2005 11:35 PM


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:51 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45