Go Back   Wireless and Wifi Forums > News > Newsgroups > alt.comp.hardware
Register FAQ Forum Rules Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Advertise Mark Forums Read

 
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 08-08-2005, 06:08 PM
Yves--
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Laptop Hard disk failure : how to repair the motor?

I have a Toshiba Laptop Satellite SA10-S203 with a harddisk 30GB MK3021GAS.
(XP, NTFS)
The motor isn't spinning anymore (first slowing down and having errors, not
booting anymore and now completely stopped)
I disassembled the harddisk and tried to connect it using an external
Freecom USB case, but does not mannage to have acces.
There are a lot of tools & software available to recover data, but as long
as the platters don't spin, it has no use.

The help of specialised companies is not realy a first option. This is
turning out to be a pretty expensive solution ($600 to $1500, depending on
size, complexety, etc.. )
Ok, I know the data on it has also a value, and one has to consider what's
it's personal value. Here I do not want to spent that much money, but at
the other hand, I would like recover a few files, some pictures, some doc's.
I know a good backup policy would have prevented me to get in this
situation, but even the last backup is not always having all recent data. A
halve a day working on a laptop generates enough data to be sorry when lost.

So, as a summary, I have an identical harddisk in good shape, and want to
perform a hardware 'transplantation'.
Is it feasable to dissasemble the case and replace platters from the
'broken' one to the 'good' one. Where can I find a guide or description
where this operation is explained.
I have nothing to lose, only the cost of the second harddisk. I know I have
only one chance, but it's also a challenge.

All suggestions are welcome, especially about disassemble and mechanical
aproach of the harddisks. (Toshiba MK3021GAS)

Thanks a lot.

Yves


PS : This was f.e. a start, but not enough to proceed:
http://www.whitecanyon.com/rmf-data-recovery-how-to.php



Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 08-08-2005, 11:12 PM
DaveW
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Laptop Hard disk failure : how to repair the motor?

You obviously have NO idea what is involved in "transferring the platters to
another harddrive case." It is NOT possible as a home project. Consider
your data lost, and backup in the future.

--
DaveW



"Yves--" <vanoppenyves@hotmeeel.com (mail)> wrote in message
news:YcNJe.164846$uO4.8817776@phobos.telenet-ops.be...
>I have a Toshiba Laptop Satellite SA10-S203 with a harddisk 30GB
>MK3021GAS. (XP, NTFS)
> The motor isn't spinning anymore (first slowing down and having errors,
> not booting anymore and now completely stopped)
> I disassembled the harddisk and tried to connect it using an external
> Freecom USB case, but does not mannage to have acces.
> There are a lot of tools & software available to recover data, but as long
> as the platters don't spin, it has no use.
>
> The help of specialised companies is not realy a first option. This is
> turning out to be a pretty expensive solution ($600 to $1500, depending
> on size, complexety, etc.. )
> Ok, I know the data on it has also a value, and one has to consider what's
> it's personal value. Here I do not want to spent that much money, but at
> the other hand, I would like recover a few files, some pictures, some
> doc's. I know a good backup policy would have prevented me to get in this
> situation, but even the last backup is not always having all recent data.
> A halve a day working on a laptop generates enough data to be sorry when
> lost.
>
> So, as a summary, I have an identical harddisk in good shape, and want to
> perform a hardware 'transplantation'.
> Is it feasable to dissasemble the case and replace platters from the
> 'broken' one to the 'good' one. Where can I find a guide or description
> where this operation is explained.
> I have nothing to lose, only the cost of the second harddisk. I know I
> have only one chance, but it's also a challenge.
>
> All suggestions are welcome, especially about disassemble and mechanical
> aproach of the harddisks. (Toshiba MK3021GAS)
>
> Thanks a lot.
>
> Yves
>
>
> PS : This was f.e. a start, but not enough to proceed:
> http://www.whitecanyon.com/rmf-data-recovery-how-to.php
>
>




Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 08-09-2005, 06:09 PM
Yves--
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Laptop Hard disk failure : how to repair the motor?


"DaveW" <none@zero.org> wrote in message
news:7fadncS9-cBSe2rfRVn-hg@comcast.com...
> You obviously have NO idea what is involved in "transferring the platters
> to another harddrive case." It is NOT possible as a home project.
> Consider your data lost, and backup in the future.
>
> --


Yea, right, euh....just the kind of reaction everybody is waiting. Verry
profound.
Read my posting once again, Dave,
..... and try to be positive and helpfull. Life is to short, you know ;-)



Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 08-09-2005, 06:18 PM
Yves--
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Laptop Hard disk failure : how to repair the motor?


"kony" <spam@spam.com> wrote in message
news:o6aff11j7d1nanldrj808se7pkgku1v2g8@4ax.com...
> On Mon, 08 Aug 2005 18:08:56 GMT, "Yves--"
> <vanoppenyves@hotmeeel.com (mail)> wrote:
>
>>I have a Toshiba Laptop Satellite SA10-S203 with a harddisk 30GB
>>MK3021GAS.
>>(XP, NTFS)
>>The motor isn't spinning anymore

>
> <snip>
>
>>Ok, I know the data on it has also a value, and one has to consider what's
>>it's personal value. Here I do not want to spent that much money, but at
>>the other hand, I would like recover a few ...

>
> Unfortunately, it doesn't work like that. I mean, nobody
> "wants" to pay for data recovery if they could just wish a
> drive back to life, but have to do so anyway.


Correction: if the value of the data is in line with the recovery cost,
most of the people would pay with pleasure.
If the data is not that important , in $ I mean, will not mean one is sorry.


>
>>So, as a summary, I have an identical harddisk in good shape, and want to
>>perform a hardware 'transplantation'.

>
> It's not likely to work. Not only is there precision
> alignment and procedure necessary, but also the drive is
> formatted AFTER these parts have been installed. If you
> could (did) install all the parts in a cleanroom and the
> operation went "perfectly", you then would have a higher
> chance of formatting the drive and experimentally trying to
> write fresh data to it- not read what was there previously.
>
>>Is it feasable to dissasemble the case and replace platters from the
>>'broken' one to the 'good' one. Where can I find a guide or description
>>where this operation is explained.

>
> No, not feasable.
>
>
>>I have nothing to lose, only the cost of the second harddisk. I know I
>>have
>>only one chance, but it's also a challenge.

>
> Frankly, you'd be better off taking that chance by putting
> it in the freezer and trying to copy off data while it's
> cold. If you can create a clean environment you might take
> the cover off and see if the spindle/platters freely rotate
> but not touching the platter surfaces. If it doesn't freely
> rotate you might try manually releasing it but it's probably
> not going to work, would typically seize up violently in a
> few seconds even if it began spinning at (trying to reach)
> operational speed.
>



I did put the harddisk in a anti-static bag, and this one in an paper bow
into the freeze for 1 +1/2 h.
I disassembled the laptop, so the harddisk wouldend suffer from the
processor, powersupply and other sources of heat.
I connected about 30 min. later the harddisk to the laptop.
And what do you think.... YES, the platters started again to spin, with
not that much noise as they did before

So with the tools UBCD4XP, I first retrieved the couple of files I was most
interested (yea, I know, the backup story, of course...)

While the thing kept on running, I copied the complete directory "My
document" , and while all was going sweet and well, I took an image of the
harddisk.

End of story. Thanks for the POSITIVE approach and comment!

You saved my life, yea, right ;-))







Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 08-09-2005, 10:31 PM
General Schvantzkoph
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Laptop Hard disk failure : how to repair the motor?

On Tue, 09 Aug 2005 18:18:08 +0000, Yves-- wrote:

>
> "kony" <spam@spam.com> wrote in message
> news:o6aff11j7d1nanldrj808se7pkgku1v2g8@4ax.com...
>> On Mon, 08 Aug 2005 18:08:56 GMT, "Yves--"


> I did put the harddisk in a anti-static bag, and this one in an paper bow
> into the freeze for 1 +1/2 h.
> I disassembled the laptop, so the harddisk wouldend suffer from the
> processor, powersupply and other sources of heat.
> I connected about 30 min. later the harddisk to the laptop.
> And what do you think.... YES, the platters started again to spin, with
> not that much noise as they did before
>
> So with the tools UBCD4XP, I first retrieved the couple of files I was most
> interested (yea, I know, the backup story, of course...)
>
> While the thing kept on running, I copied the complete directory "My
> document" , and while all was going sweet and well, I took an image of the
> harddisk.
>
> End of story. Thanks for the POSITIVE approach and comment!
>
> You saved my life, yea, right ;-))


Nothing is so exhilarating as being shot at and missed.
Winston Churchill



Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 08-29-2012, 09:38 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 1
Default my hard disk's prblem

I have a hitachi 120gb hard disk it has wht problem i dont know cause when i use it it makes some kind of tk.. tk.. two times and stops but i feel its splatters working and vibrating how should i repair it i am confused
Reply With Quote
Reply


« laptop lcd to moniter | Raid 1 To Raid 0 »
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Asus A7A266 motherboard Hard disk failure Pete alt.comp.hardware 4 02-20-2007 11:47 AM
Re: Asus A7A266 motherboard Hard disk failure Pete alt.comp.hardware 0 02-19-2007 10:56 AM
Re: Laptop hard drive repair paulmd@efn.org alt.comp.hardware 0 08-17-2006 09:37 PM
Re: Laptop hard drive repair Noozer alt.comp.hardware 0 08-17-2006 08:55 PM
Long hard drive access times... Random Person alt.comp.hardware 13 08-02-2005 10:49 PM


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:20 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45