Go Back   Wireless and Wifi Forums > News > Newsgroups > alt.comp.hardware
Register FAQ Forum Rules Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Advertise Mark Forums Read

 
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 02-14-2009, 11:57 PM
Gary Brown
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Laptop Power Connector Not Connecting Properly

Hi,

The power connector on my laptop has stopped making
good contact. Sometimes it works and sometimes not.
Jiggling the connector doesn't help but rotating the connector
does, temporarily.

Something appears loose but I'm not sure what. I don't have
a spare, compatible power source to try.

Is there a common cause and easy fix to this problem?

The laptop is a Compaq F572US.

Thanks,
Gary



Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 02-15-2009, 12:26 AM
Grinder
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Laptop Power Connector Not Connecting Properly

Gary Brown wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The power connector on my laptop has stopped making
> good contact. Sometimes it works and sometimes not.
> Jiggling the connector doesn't help but rotating the connector
> does, temporarily.
>
> Something appears loose but I'm not sure what. I don't have
> a spare, compatible power source to try.
>
> Is there a common cause and easy fix to this problem?
>
> The laptop is a Compaq F572US.


The power connector is most likely a surface mount component. Something
like this:

http://doctorlaptop-repair-jack.com/...ages/Jack7.JPG

Those skinny little pins, or the solder joints where they're connected
to the motherboard, can break. Repair can be a little dicey.

If it's just the solder joint that's gone bad, you can resolder it. Pay
care to use heat sinks to avoid damaging adjacent components, but that
might be difficult to do. That will likely be a short term solution,
though. The solder joint is supposed to be isolated from the mechanical
tension of using the socket, but it often is not.

If the component itself is damaged, you'll have to find a replacement.

Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 02-15-2009, 05:35 AM
kony
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Laptop Power Connector Not Connecting Properly

On Sun, 15 Feb 2009 01:26:43 GMT, Grinder
<grinder@no.spam.maam.com> wrote:

>Gary Brown wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> The power connector on my laptop has stopped making
>> good contact. Sometimes it works and sometimes not.
>> Jiggling the connector doesn't help but rotating the connector
>> does, temporarily.
>>
>> Something appears loose but I'm not sure what. I don't have
>> a spare, compatible power source to try.
>>
>> Is there a common cause and easy fix to this problem?
>>
>> The laptop is a Compaq F572US.

>
>The power connector is most likely a surface mount component. Something
>like this:
>
>http://doctorlaptop-repair-jack.com/...ages/Jack7.JPG


Technically, that's a through-hole jack not surface mounted,
though it is roughly similar to what's in that laptop though
I think HP also integrated an LED into the housing to make
it light up blue when there's a power brick feeding it.


>
>Those skinny little pins, or the solder joints where they're connected
>to the motherboard, can break. Repair can be a little dicey.
>
>If it's just the solder joint that's gone bad, you can resolder it. Pay
>care to use heat sinks to avoid damaging adjacent components, but that
>might be difficult to do. That will likely be a short term solution,
>though. The solder joint is supposed to be isolated from the mechanical
>tension of using the socket, but it often is not.
>
>If the component itself is damaged, you'll have to find a replacement.



That model uses the same power board part # as a laptop I've
disassembled a couple times. IOW, it is a separate board
from the mainboard, with just the socket and a USB port or
two on it, with connectors for the wires to the mainboard.

If worst comes to worst, HP parts sells that. It's
difficult to link to it because of the way the parts site
works, using a session ID instead of direct links.

If you follow this link and put the part number in their
search box, it'll find it. Part # 431445-001
http://h20141.www2.hp.com/hpparts/de...?cc=US&lang=EN


$62.26, ridiculously priced considering what it is. Should
cost about $5 if that. The upside is that I *think* I
recall this being a single-sided PCB, no plated holes, plus
that it can be removed without taking the whole mainboard
out (but still a lot of screws to remove to get to it) so
it's even easier to solder it back on yourself (heatsinking
and other cares as with working on the mainboard itself
won't be so necessary), or replace the whole socket by
finding one on ebay or a laptop repair parts 'site... though
either of these also charge a ridiculous, but at least
lower, price for the power socket alone.

Whether a new board is bought, the original jack is ok after
soldered, or a replacement jack is soldered on, it will be
more resistant to cracking the solder joints in the future
if the board and bottom edge of the jack are cleaned with
alcohol, then a bead of epoxy is put down along that seam on
both sides... just make sure when everything fits back
together that there isn't so much epoxy that it won't fit in
the shell or whatever it sits up against.


Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 02-16-2009, 01:39 PM
Gary Brown
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Laptop Power Connector Not Connecting Properly


"Gary Brown" <garyjbrown@charter.net> wrote in message
news:lMJll.1398$EO2.319@newsfe04.iad...
> Hi,
>
> The power connector on my laptop has stopped making
> good contact. Sometimes it works and sometimes not.


HP quoted $298 to fix it. I passed on that. She gave me
the link to the repair manual. The connector sits on its own
small board. I ordered a replacement from a 3rd party.
Getting to the board requires disassembling the entire
unit which I didn't want to do again if it wasn't fixable.

Gary



Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 02-07-2010, 01:05 AM
mandysharie
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Laptop Power Connector Not Connecting Properly


My HP Paviliion DV6700 laptop is doing the same thing. I purchased my
laptop less than two years ago brand new for around $800. I have
searched and searched online to try and figure out what os wrong with my
laptop and I have found tons on websites that suggest that its the
socket adapter connector. These are awful with HP models. Mine is to
where the battery wont charge all the time, sometimes it will and
sometimes it wont, the screen dims and brightens when the cord is
jiggled in the socket, sometimes my bateery wont charge and it says
plugged in; not charging. From what i have researched this is a pretty
expensive issue to fix most of the time. You usually have to send your
laptop in to be fixed and it can be pretty costly and sometimes even
after they try to repair it, it still isnt guaranteed to fix the
problem. I beleive that i read that it is successfully repaired on about
70% on laptops depending on the brand. Some brands are only successfully
fixed 50% of the time. Also when the socket adapter is bad it can burn
up the motherboard and it sometimes has to be replaced too. A
motherboard is very expensive. If you do have to get a new motherboard
and the socket fixed it will be just as much money as buying another new
laptop. Most manufacters do not warranty the socket adapter repair under
their warranty. I kno HP doesn't. I'm having the same problem currently
with mine and I really hope this is not really the problem because that
is too expensive considering how much the cost of a laptop is when
buying it.



Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 02-07-2010, 04:50 PM
Paul
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Laptop Power Connector Not Connecting Properly

mandysharie wrote:
> My HP Paviliion DV6700 laptop is doing the same thing. I purchased my
> laptop less than two years ago brand new for around $800. I have
> searched and searched online to try and figure out what os wrong with my
> laptop and I have found tons on websites that suggest that its the
> socket adapter connector. These are awful with HP models. Mine is to
> where the battery wont charge all the time, sometimes it will and
> sometimes it wont, the screen dims and brightens when the cord is
> jiggled in the socket, sometimes my bateery wont charge and it says
> plugged in; not charging. From what i have researched this is a pretty
> expensive issue to fix most of the time. You usually have to send your
> laptop in to be fixed and it can be pretty costly and sometimes even
> after they try to repair it, it still isnt guaranteed to fix the
> problem. I beleive that i read that it is successfully repaired on about
> 70% on laptops depending on the brand. Some brands are only successfully
> fixed 50% of the time. Also when the socket adapter is bad it can burn
> up the motherboard and it sometimes has to be replaced too. A
> motherboard is very expensive. If you do have to get a new motherboard
> and the socket fixed it will be just as much money as buying another new
> laptop. Most manufacters do not warranty the socket adapter repair under
> their warranty. I kno HP doesn't. I'm having the same problem currently
> with mine and I really hope this is not really the problem because that
> is too expensive considering how much the cost of a laptop is when
> buying it.
>
>


Around page 81 or so, is section "USB/power connector board". The power
jack is a removable subassembly. You won't need to solder anything. It
just unplugs. Replace the assembly with another assembly, and you're done.
The most skilled thing you'll need to know, is how to use a screwdriver.

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c01295877.pdf (DV6700 manual)

Paul

Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 02-07-2010, 08:57 PM
kony
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Laptop Power Connector Not Connecting Properly

On Sun, 07 Feb 2010 12:50:36 -0500, Paul <nospam@needed.com>
wrote:

>mandysharie wrote:
>> My HP Paviliion DV6700 laptop is doing the same thing. I purchased my
>> laptop less than two years ago brand new for around $800. I have
>> searched and searched online to try and figure out what os wrong with my
>> laptop and I have found tons on websites that suggest that its the
>> socket adapter connector. These are awful with HP models. Mine is to
>> where the battery wont charge all the time, sometimes it will and
>> sometimes it wont, the screen dims and brightens when the cord is
>> jiggled in the socket, sometimes my bateery wont charge and it says
>> plugged in; not charging. From what i have researched this is a pretty
>> expensive issue to fix most of the time. You usually have to send your
>> laptop in to be fixed and it can be pretty costly and sometimes even
>> after they try to repair it, it still isnt guaranteed to fix the
>> problem. I beleive that i read that it is successfully repaired on about
>> 70% on laptops depending on the brand. Some brands are only successfully
>> fixed 50% of the time. Also when the socket adapter is bad it can burn
>> up the motherboard and it sometimes has to be replaced too. A
>> motherboard is very expensive. If you do have to get a new motherboard
>> and the socket fixed it will be just as much money as buying another new
>> laptop. Most manufacters do not warranty the socket adapter repair under
>> their warranty. I kno HP doesn't. I'm having the same problem currently
>> with mine and I really hope this is not really the problem because that
>> is too expensive considering how much the cost of a laptop is when
>> buying it.
>>
>>

>
>Around page 81 or so, is section "USB/power connector board". The power
>jack is a removable subassembly. You won't need to solder anything. It
>just unplugs. Replace the assembly with another assembly, and you're done.
>The most skilled thing you'll need to know, is how to use a screwdriver.
>
>http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c01295877.pdf (DV6700 manual)
>
> Paul



Not sure if you can find something like that on ebay or a
laptop parts website, but it was obscene how much HP wanted
for the equivalent board on a different laptop model, about
$70 plus S/H IIRC.

Considering the cost of it, that it's a simple single-sided
PCB, and that if I applied epoxy on the sides of the jack it
would be reinforced to be more durable than a new one, I'd
be inclined to repair the existing board unless the damage
was more extensive than just breaking the solder joint.
IRRC, the power jack itself can be had for closer to $20 if
it is damaged.



Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 02-07-2010, 10:18 PM
Paul
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Laptop Power Connector Not Connecting Properly

kony wrote:

>
>
> Not sure if you can find something like that on ebay or a
> laptop parts website, but it was obscene how much HP wanted
> for the equivalent board on a different laptop model, about
> $70 plus S/H IIRC.
>
> Considering the cost of it, that it's a simple single-sided
> PCB, and that if I applied epoxy on the sides of the jack it
> would be reinforced to be more durable than a new one, I'd
> be inclined to repair the existing board unless the damage
> was more extensive than just breaking the solder joint.
> IRRC, the power jack itself can be had for closer to $20 if
> it is damaged.
>


But at $70, that is cheaper than the $200 a shop would want,
just to "look" at the laptop. Certainly, if you have soldering
and epoxy glue skills, a cheaper repair might be arranged. Or
just solder the adapter permanently to the laptop :-)

It is too bad you couldn't retrofit a Magsafe jack to the thing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magsafe

Paul

Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 02-09-2010, 09:03 AM
kony
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Laptop Power Connector Not Connecting Properly

On Sun, 07 Feb 2010 18:18:55 -0500, Paul <nospam@needed.com>
wrote:

>kony wrote:
>
>>
>>
>> Not sure if you can find something like that on ebay or a
>> laptop parts website, but it was obscene how much HP wanted
>> for the equivalent board on a different laptop model, about
>> $70 plus S/H IIRC.
>>
>> Considering the cost of it, that it's a simple single-sided
>> PCB, and that if I applied epoxy on the sides of the jack it
>> would be reinforced to be more durable than a new one, I'd
>> be inclined to repair the existing board unless the damage
>> was more extensive than just breaking the solder joint.
>> IRRC, the power jack itself can be had for closer to $20 if
>> it is damaged.
>>

>
>But at $70, that is cheaper than the $200 a shop would want,
>just to "look" at the laptop. Certainly, if you have soldering
>and epoxy glue skills, a cheaper repair might be arranged. Or
>just solder the adapter permanently to the laptop :-)
>
>It is too bad you couldn't retrofit a Magsafe jack to the thing.
>
>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magsafe
>
> Paul



IMO, even someone with no soldering experience would find
learning soldering enough to do a jack, less time than that
required to pull the whole laptop apart to get to it... and
the cost of a soldering iron far lower than a $70 board. I
just feel it inexcusable that HP charges so much for a
pathetically inadequate single sided 1 sq. inch board and
jack, even if it does happen to have a USB socket on it too.

Rather than pay what they ask I would as soon put a plain
panel mount barrel jack on the laptop and AC-DC adapter...
though sometimes I feel that is what they should have done
originally, maybe with a metal reinforcement bracket behind
it.

I suppose there is a positive side to it all, a friend is
sending me a couple laptops in a few days, to one of them I
will be doing a power jack repair and I keep the 2nd laptop
as payment.

Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 02-20-2010, 05:19 AM
~misfit~
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Laptop Power Connector Not Connecting Properly

Somewhere on teh intarwebs kony wrote:
[snip]
> I suppose there is a positive side to it all, a friend is
> sending me a couple laptops in a few days, to one of them I
> will be doing a power jack repair and I keep the 2nd laptop
> as payment.


If you find that you're getting too busy and you have many jobs like that
I'd be pleased to help... ;-)
--
Shaun.

"Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's
warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchet, 'Jingo'.
Nota bene: 'Return to' email is very rarely checked, if at all. It's spam
city but is a req. of my NNTP providor.



Reply With Quote
Reply


« cr 2032 question | USB panel mount cables »
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Laptop power polarity? Calab alt.comp.hardware 7 01-04-2009 06:53 PM
pcmcia cardbus not powering firewire.Help hj alt.comp.hardware 4 12-08-2007 06:02 AM
Toshiba Laptop suddenly "loses" wall power Charles.Sachs@gmail.com alt.comp.hardware 5 03-13-2007 08:08 AM
laptop power connection socket broken code_wrong alt.comp.hardware 6 11-05-2005 10:09 AM
Compaq laptop, no response from dc power Mel alt.comp.hardware 1 09-09-2005 06:53 AM


All times are GMT. The time now is 06:56 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45