Go Back   Wireless and Wifi Forums > News > Newsgroups > alt.comp.hardware
Register FAQ Forum Rules Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Advertise Mark Forums Read

 
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 07-28-2008, 09:58 AM
Viper
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Motherboard Question After Lightning Strike

Hello,

I have a Gigabyte GA-K8nsc-939 board with a AMD 3200+ 64 bit chip.
My computer was off but still connected to an outlet backed up with a
surge protector when certain electronic equipment was hit with a power
spike during a lightning storm. My computer works fine. Except for the
USB ports and floppy drive. The on-board NIC, hard drives, operating
system (Vista Business), and memory, all operate normally. So far, I
cleared the BIOS, re-installed the chipset drivers, deleted the USB
drivers and let them reload. It seems the USB drivers re-install even
though the ports don't work. I also have a 64 in 1 memory card reader,
connected via a IDE onboard controller that is not detected any more
also. I tried to do a repair of Vista Business, but the reinstall
option is not available in this version of Vista. My thinking is to
order a new board and rebuild the system. Also, I have a HP printer
that got ruined. Any help would be appreciated. The only thing I have
not tried is to re-install Vista Business again but that would wipe out
all my programs. I don't know which way to go with my thinking here? Is
it the motherboard or Vista? I am pulling towards the motherboard. Any
advice would be appreciated. The only question I don't understand, is
why would the USB drivers re-load and be seen in the device manager as
normal if the ports don't work?

Thanks,

Comstat

--


Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 07-28-2008, 11:45 AM
Paul
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Motherboard Question After Lightning Strike

Viper wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have a Gigabyte GA-K8nsc-939 board with a AMD 3200+ 64 bit chip.
> My computer was off but still connected to an outlet backed up with a
> surge protector when certain electronic equipment was hit with a power
> spike during a lightning storm. My computer works fine. Except for the
> USB ports and floppy drive. The on-board NIC, hard drives, operating
> system (Vista Business), and memory, all operate normally. So far, I
> cleared the BIOS, re-installed the chipset drivers, deleted the USB
> drivers and let them reload. It seems the USB drivers re-install even
> though the ports don't work. I also have a 64 in 1 memory card reader,
> connected via a IDE onboard controller that is not detected any more
> also. I tried to do a repair of Vista Business, but the reinstall
> option is not available in this version of Vista. My thinking is to
> order a new board and rebuild the system. Also, I have a HP printer
> that got ruined. Any help would be appreciated. The only thing I have
> not tried is to re-install Vista Business again but that would wipe out
> all my programs. I don't know which way to go with my thinking here? Is
> it the motherboard or Vista? I am pulling towards the motherboard. Any
> advice would be appreciated. The only question I don't understand, is
> why would the USB drivers re-load and be seen in the device manager as
> normal if the ports don't work?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Comstat
>


Well, there already exists a case with exactly those symptoms. The
ICH5/ICH5R has a problem, where latchup damages part of the chip.
The results are, Device Manager shows the USB ports, all in order
and correct, but each USB port is "deaf". And the reason for it,
is the power source feeding the I/O driver, burns out, leaving
the physical layer of the USB port non-functional.

+5V -----/ /--+ <--- broken power path
|
v +5V Physical
Logic Block ------------ I/O driver --------- D+ Layer
Works OK --------- D- Of
GND Port

When the lightning strikes, it can induce a transient on the
physical layer, and damage it. So it is possible the port
may have failed, because of damage to the +5V,D+,D-,GND spot.

It is even possible the +5V path to the port is what failed,
and you might want to check that a mouse lights up when plugged
into the port. The port won't function, if the +5V on the
connector is no longer working. Some of those are fuse protected
(but the fuse is a Polyfuse type, which normally never
needs replacement, and the fuse recovers after it cools off).

If you purchased the exact same motherboard, you should be
able to drop it into place and continue using it. Depending
on what other devices are damaged in your computer.

Anything with wires connected to it, is an antenna for induced
energy. So it could also be that the Ethernet port is blown,
a dialup modem is blown, cable or ADSL modem is damaged and
so on.

If the lightning strike is very close, the effect can be
powerful enough to leave physical effects, like burn marks,
charring, chips with lids blown off. But even a weaker
strike, can still leave invisible effects.

I don't know enough about Vista, to know whether there is a
"Repair Install" option. I see mention of a "Repair Your Computer"
option mentioned here, and maybe that is the equivalent of
a WinXP Repair Install. I don't know if that Vista option
is smart enough to handle drivers for a completely different
motherboard installation or not.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/951495/en-us

Another thought that occurs to me, is you could purchase
a USB2 PCI card, and use that to get some USB ports. That
won't necessarily help with editing the contents of the BIOS
using a USB keyboard, but for other USB purposes, it would
give you some working ports, without replacing the motherboard.
I also have a USB based floppy here, that I use occasionally.
Whether that would be good enough for F6 driver installation would
be another unanswered question.

It is funny that the floppy would burn out, because the computer
metal case should have provided a small amount of protection
for it. It isn't really an "exposed antenna", like the external
USB cabling would be. And if the lightning coupled into the
floppy cable, you'd think it would also have blown IDE hard
drives or IDE CDROM drives.

Paul

Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 07-28-2008, 01:33 PM
Big_Al
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Motherboard Question After Lightning Strike

Viper wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have a Gigabyte GA-K8nsc-939 board with a AMD 3200+ 64 bit chip.
> My computer was off but still connected to an outlet backed up with a
> surge protector when certain electronic equipment was hit with a power
> spike during a lightning storm. My computer works fine. Except for the
> USB ports and floppy drive. The on-board NIC, hard drives, operating
> system (Vista Business), and memory, all operate normally. So far, I
> cleared the BIOS, re-installed the chipset drivers, deleted the USB
> drivers and let them reload. It seems the USB drivers re-install even
> though the ports don't work. I also have a 64 in 1 memory card reader,
> connected via a IDE onboard controller that is not detected any more
> also. I tried to do a repair of Vista Business, but the reinstall
> option is not available in this version of Vista. My thinking is to
> order a new board and rebuild the system. Also, I have a HP printer
> that got ruined. Any help would be appreciated. The only thing I have
> not tried is to re-install Vista Business again but that would wipe out
> all my programs. I don't know which way to go with my thinking here? Is
> it the motherboard or Vista? I am pulling towards the motherboard. Any
> advice would be appreciated. The only question I don't understand, is
> why would the USB drivers re-load and be seen in the device manager as
> normal if the ports don't work?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Comstat
>


A cheap USB card would give you ports without reloading. Its not a fix
for the card reader or motherboard, just a simple work around. But then
again, those too might not work either if its software/driver issues and
that would be a good test, and if you had a good return policy on the
card........ Hmmmmm.


Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 07-28-2008, 09:03 PM
kony
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Motherboard Question After Lightning Strike

On Mon, 28 Jul 2008 09:58:12 GMT, "Viper"
<Viper@Comstat.net> wrote:

>Hello,
>
> I have a Gigabyte GA-K8nsc-939 board with a AMD 3200+ 64 bit chip.
>My computer was off but still connected to an outlet backed up with a
>surge protector when certain electronic equipment was hit with a power
>spike during a lightning storm. My computer works fine. Except for the
>USB ports and floppy drive. The on-board NIC, hard drives, operating
>system (Vista Business), and memory, all operate normally. So far, I
>cleared the BIOS, re-installed the chipset drivers, deleted the USB
>drivers and let them reload. It seems the USB drivers re-install even
>though the ports don't work.


With surge damage, it's possible for some parts to be more
subtly damaged and appear to work still but fail later. For
reliable operation you must now consider every part in the
system to be possibly damaged, including replacement of the
motherboard and copying any important data off the hard
drive as a backup.

> I also have a 64 in 1 memory card reader,
>connected via a IDE onboard controller that is not detected any more
>also. I tried to do a repair of Vista Business, but the reinstall
>option is not available in this version of Vista. My thinking is to
>order a new board and rebuild the system.


Agreed, I'd get the same board again if you can find it at a
reasonable price. You don't mention how much work it'd be
to do a clean install instead, but I suspect the cost
difference won't be as much as the value of your time saved
by reusing the same model of replacement board.


>Also, I have a HP printer
>that got ruined. Any help would be appreciated. The only thing I have
>not tried is to re-install Vista Business again but that would wipe out
>all my programs.


It's not likely that only these specific functionalities in
vista were somehow corrupted instead of the hardware itself
being damaged. Wait on the Vista reinstall or repair until
you have replaced the motherboard... then see if it's
necessary to restore any functionality.


>I don't know which way to go with my thinking here? Is
>it the motherboard or Vista? I am pulling towards the motherboard. Any
>advice would be appreciated. The only question I don't understand, is
>why would the USB drivers re-load and be seen in the device manager as
>normal if the ports don't work?


Drivers are only indicated as needed based on what windows
detects, but windows detects a device, a thing, not whether
that thing works properly. That's a bit different than if
there were nothing to detect.

There is a possiblity the hard drive was damaged and you
have some file corruption, but not necessarily and to figure
this out you need the motherboard replaced with one known
working correctly. You could also toss the hard drive into
another system temporarily and scan it for errors if you
like, run the HDD manufacturer's diagnostics on it too.


Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 07-28-2008, 09:22 PM
philo
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Motherboard Question After Lightning Strike


"Viper" <Viper@Comstat.net> wrote in message
news:xn0ft7i52feqk000@news.east.cox.net...
> Hello,
>
> I have a Gigabyte GA-K8nsc-939 board with a AMD 3200+ 64 bit chip.
> My computer was off but still connected to an outlet backed up with a
> surge protector when certain electronic equipment was hit with a power
> spike during a lightning storm. My computer works fine. Except for the
> USB ports and floppy drive. The on-board NIC, hard drives, operating
> system (Vista Business), and memory, all operate normally. So far, I
> cleared the BIOS, re-installed the chipset drivers, deleted the USB
> drivers and let them reload. It seems the USB drivers re-install even
> though the ports don't work. I also have a 64 in 1 memory card reader,
> connected via a IDE onboard controller that is not detected any more
> also. I tried to do a repair of Vista Business, but the reinstall
> option is not available in this version of Vista. My thinking is to
> order a new board and rebuild the system. Also, I have a HP printer
> that got ruined. Any help would be appreciated. The only thing I have
> not tried is to re-install Vista Business again but that would wipe out
> all my programs. I don't know which way to go with my thinking here? Is
> it the motherboard or Vista? I am pulling towards the motherboard. Any
> advice would be appreciated. The only question I don't understand, is
> why would the USB drivers re-load and be seen in the device manager as
> normal if the ports don't work?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Comstat
>




The wires inside of a "chip" are finer that a human hair,
so it's possible the chip itself was undamaged but your actual USB
connection was broken.

It was a lightning hit, so I'd believe it possible to end up with an
odd-ball problem.
Were it my machine I'd probably just add a PCI, USB card
and a card reader...
Otherwise look for an identical mobo



Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 07-29-2008, 01:48 AM
Viper
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Motherboard Question After Lightning Strike

philo wrote:

>
> "Viper" <Viper@Comstat.net> wrote in message
> news:xn0ft7i52feqk000@news.east.cox.net...
> > Hello,
> >
> > I have a Gigabyte GA-K8nsc-939 board with a AMD 3200+ 64 bit
> > chip. My computer was off but still connected to an outlet backed
> > up with a surge protector when certain electronic equipment was hit
> > with a power spike during a lightning storm. My computer works
> > fine. Except for the USB ports and floppy drive. The on-board NIC,
> > hard drives, operating system (Vista Business), and memory, all
> > operate normally. So far, I cleared the BIOS, re-installed the
> > chipset drivers, deleted the USB drivers and let them reload. It
> > seems the USB drivers re-install even though the ports don't work.
> > I also have a 64 in 1 memory card reader, connected via a IDE
> > onboard controller that is not detected any more also. I tried to
> > do a repair of Vista Business, but the reinstall option is not
> > available in this version of Vista. My thinking is to order a new
> > board and rebuild the system. Also, I have a HP printer that got
> > ruined. Any help would be appreciated. The only thing I have not
> > tried is to re-install Vista Business again but that would wipe out
> > all my programs. I don't know which way to go with my thinking
> > here? Is it the motherboard or Vista? I am pulling towards the
> > motherboard. Any advice would be appreciated. The only question I
> > don't understand, is why would the USB drivers re-load and be seen
> > in the device manager as normal if the ports don't work?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Comstat
> >

>
>
>
> The wires inside of a "chip" are finer that a human hair,
> so it's possible the chip itself was undamaged but your actual USB
> connection was broken.
>
> It was a lightning hit, so I'd believe it possible to end up with an
> odd-ball problem.
> Were it my machine I'd probably just add a PCI, USB card
> and a card reader...
> Otherwise look for an identical mobo


I appreciate everyones input and help. I am going to try to replace the
motherboard. I can't find the exact same Gigabyte board anywhere.
Asus-A8V-X with a VIA chipset is the board that closely resembles what
I have.This means I am going to have to do a clean install of Vista
Business (not what I wanted to do). Would anyone have a line on the
Gigabyte GA-K8NSC-939 board?

--


Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 07-29-2008, 01:50 AM
Viper
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Motherboard Question After Lightning Strike

I appreciate everyones input and help. I am going to try to replace the
motherboard. I can't find the exact same Gigabyte board anywhere.
Asus-A8V-X with a VIA chipset is the board that closely resembles what
I have.This means I am going to have to do a clean install of Vista
Business (not what I wanted to do). Would anyone have a line on the
Gigabyte GA-K8NSC-939 board?

--


Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 07-29-2008, 02:02 AM
Paul
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Motherboard Question After Lightning Strike

Viper wrote:
> I appreciate everyones input and help. I am going to try to replace the
> motherboard. I can't find the exact same Gigabyte board anywhere.
> Asus-A8V-X with a VIA chipset is the board that closely resembles what
> I have.This means I am going to have to do a clean install of Vista
> Business (not what I wanted to do). Would anyone have a line on the
> Gigabyte GA-K8NSC-939 board?
>


Did you look on Ebay ? There are some used ones there.

Paul

Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 07-29-2008, 10:22 AM
Viper
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Motherboard Question After Lightning Strike

Paul wrote:

> Viper wrote:
> > I appreciate everyones input and help. I am going to try to replace
> > the motherboard. I can't find the exact same Gigabyte board
> > anywhere. Asus-A8V-X with a VIA chipset is the board that closely
> > resembles what I have.This means I am going to have to do a clean
> > install of Vista Business (not what I wanted to do). Would anyone
> > have a line on the Gigabyte GA-K8NSC-939 board?
> >

>
> Did you look on Ebay ? There are some used ones there.
>
> Paul


You are on the same wave-length as me. There are 3 boards up for sale.
I am a little hesitant to buy from Ebay and also because these boards
are used. The best I see there is a board that comes with a 128 MG
card. I guess I'll give it a shot.

Thank you

--


Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 07-29-2008, 04:56 PM
kony
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Motherboard Question After Lightning Strike

On Tue, 29 Jul 2008 10:22:46 GMT, "Viper"
<Viper@Comstat.net> wrote:

>Paul wrote:
>
>> Viper wrote:
>> > I appreciate everyones input and help. I am going to try to replace
>> > the motherboard. I can't find the exact same Gigabyte board
>> > anywhere. Asus-A8V-X with a VIA chipset is the board that closely
>> > resembles what I have.This means I am going to have to do a clean
>> > install of Vista Business (not what I wanted to do). Would anyone
>> > have a line on the Gigabyte GA-K8NSC-939 board?
>> >

>>
>> Did you look on Ebay ? There are some used ones there.
>>
>> Paul

>
>You are on the same wave-length as me. There are 3 boards up for sale.
>I am a little hesitant to buy from Ebay and also because these boards
>are used. The best I see there is a board that comes with a 128 MG
>card. I guess I'll give it a shot.
>
>Thank you


http://www.pcplanetsystems.com/abc/p...2&item_id=2332
http://logicalplus.stores.yahoo.net/gitegaatxskt3.html

I don't know if I'd pay $85 or more though, at that price it
starts to make a whole CPU + board + memory upgrade to a
newer Core 2 Duo set seem worthwhile even if the OS had to
be reinstalled. On the other hand a skt 939 processor based
system is quite adequate for most common tasks.

Reply With Quote
Reply


« INTERNATIONAL HOTELS TOWER | SD card firmware update problem »
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Motherboard Question Matt alt.comp.hardware 11 01-07-2008 07:56 AM
Motherboard Installation? Viper alt.comp.hardware 7 11-03-2007 11:41 PM
Question about Asus P4R800-VM motherboard Jethro alt.comp.hardware 3 03-22-2007 09:16 AM
K8N Neo 4 Platinum Motherboard Question Breck Fontaine alt.comp.hardware 0 12-25-2006 04:11 PM
is it the motherboard or the power supply, that is the question? M alt.comp.hardware 20 08-14-2005 01:31 AM


All times are GMT. The time now is 03:50 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45