Go Back   Wireless and Wifi Forums > News > Newsgroups > alt.comp.hardware
Register FAQ Forum Rules Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Advertise Mark Forums Read

 
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 10-24-2005, 03:16 AM
jameshanley39@yahoo.co.uk
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default is my usb keyb broken or missing a feature - doesn't flash when plugged in (wake on)

do some USB keyboards not support the wake on USB feature properly? I
find mine doesn't flash when i plug it in yet 5V is coming out the USB
port

even when i turn on the comp, the keyb appears not to react, num lock
won't work for example. But I can get to the BIOS when I press DEL. And
it's fine after that. I'm wondering if this is common. If it's
possible to avoid buying a keyboard like this next time round! So, i'd
like ot know if there's some feature or detail i should look for in the
spec or some make of keyb i should be looking at. I don't want to buy
one like this again


Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 10-24-2005, 04:11 AM
kony
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: is my usb keyb broken or missing a feature - doesn't flash when plugged in (wake on)

On 23 Oct 2005 20:16:54 -0700, jameshanley39@yahoo.co.uk
wrote:

>do some USB keyboards not support the wake on USB feature properly? I
>find mine doesn't flash when i plug it in yet 5V is coming out the USB
>port
>
>even when i turn on the comp, the keyb appears not to react, num lock
>won't work for example. But I can get to the BIOS when I press DEL. And
>it's fine after that. I'm wondering if this is common. If it's
>possible to avoid buying a keyboard like this next time round! So, i'd
>like ot know if there's some feature or detail i should look for in the
>spec or some make of keyb i should be looking at. I don't want to buy
>one like this again


Keyboards are usually fairly "dumb" devices and behave the
same no matter what the system state is. I suspect your
system has a problem with USB after waking up, and that the
bios doesn't support USB keyboards natively (but you might
check for a related bios setting). I suppose it's possible
there is an interaction between your particular board and
keyboard or the keyboard itself is abnormal but i would tend
to suspect the motherboard.

Have you tried another USB keyboard or that keyboard on
another system?

Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 10-24-2005, 12:31 PM
jameshanley39@yahoo.co.uk
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: is my usb keyb broken or missing a feature - doesn't flash when plugged in (wake on)


kony wrote:
> On 23 Oct 2005 20:16:54 -0700, jameshanley39@yahoo.co.uk
> wrote:
>
> >do some USB keyboards not support the wake on USB feature properly? I
> >find mine doesn't flash when i plug it in yet 5V is coming out the USB
> >port
> >
> >even when i turn on the comp, the keyb appears not to react, num lock
> >won't work for example. But I can get to the BIOS when I press DEL. And
> >it's fine after that. I'm wondering if this is common. If it's
> >possible to avoid buying a keyboard like this next time round! So, i'd
> >like ot know if there's some feature or detail i should look for in the
> >spec or some make of keyb i should be looking at. I don't want to buy
> >one like this again

>
> Keyboards are usually fairly "dumb" devices and behave the
> same no matter what the system state is. I suspect your
> system has a problem with USB after waking up, and that the
> bios doesn't support USB keyboards natively (but you might
> check for a related bios setting). I suppose it's possible
> there is an interaction between your particular board and
> keyboard or the keyboard itself is abnormal but i would tend
> to suspect the motherboard.
>
> Have you tried another USB keyboard or that keyboard on
> another system?


I think this is a wrong reaction to the 5V SB, well before the BIOS.
'cos the comp is still off.

I don't have another USB keyboard. I have a ps2 keyboard, and a ps2-usb
adaptor (I know, ps2 keybs don't normally support USB. Mine is no
different. But power works) - the keyboard flashes when plugged into
the USB socket.

I really think this is before the BIOS. a)the comp is off
b)the flashing really does look like a 'dumb reaction'. My ps2 keyb
will flash if plugged into the ps2 mouse port. The 5V SB is there but
it won't operate right. Similarly, the ps2 keyboard will flash when
plugged into the USB port (with the ps2 to USB adaptor) even though I
can't get into the BIOS with it since it's just a ps2 keyb.

must be a strange keyb. i want to avoid this happening again.

Suppose wake is disabled. Then when turning a comp on, the keyb lights
should immediately flash. For USB, it should flash as soon as 5V is
put on that USB's VCC pin on the motherboard.

keybs are dumb devices, but this one is really dumb!!


Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 10-24-2005, 03:32 PM
Noozer
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: is my usb keyb broken or missing a feature - doesn't flash when plugged in (wake on)


> Suppose wake is disabled. Then when turning a comp on, the keyb lights
> should immediately flash. For USB, it should flash as soon as 5V is
> put on that USB's VCC pin on the motherboard.


Uhm...Why should the lights flash?

PS/2 keyboards flash because the BIOS tells them to reset. USB doesn't get
initialized until later in the boot so may not even flash at all.



Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 10-28-2005, 12:34 PM
jameshanley39@yahoo.co.uk
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: is my usb keyb broken or missing a feature - doesn't flash when plugged in (wake on)


Noozer wrote:
> > Suppose wake is disabled. Then when turning a comp on, the keyb lights
> > should immediately flash. For USB, it should flash as soon as 5V is
> > put on that USB's VCC pin on the motherboard.

>
> Uhm...Why should the lights flash?
>
> PS/2 keyboards flash because the BIOS tells them to reset. USB doesn't get
> initialized until later in the boot so may not even flash at all.


oh, I didn't know that. I wrongly assumed it'd flash like my pss2 keyb
in the usb socket.

thanks, that would explain that then

btw, out of interest did you figure that out from from a good
book/site/spec, or just fro mexperience with many usb keyboards?

(I ask 'cos I like good books/sites/specs!)


Reply With Quote
Reply


« Re: Configuration ok? | Confused about RAM »
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Flash memory vs. hard disk flarosa alt.comp.hardware 7 04-05-2007 07:59 PM


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:17 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45