Go Back   Wireless and Wifi Forums > News > Newsgroups > alt.comp.hardware
Register FAQ Forum Rules Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Advertise Mark Forums Read

 
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 12-17-2006, 12:33 AM
george
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Netgear DG834PN Adsl Router With Sony Vaios?

Hi All
I have 2 Sony Vaios, slightly different models, but both equiped with
802.11g wireless receivers and running Windows XP. I configured Netgear's
adsl router by using one of the pcs, so on this pc I can now cable-connect
or wirelessly connect to the internet. I created the network called
something like 'mynetwork'. Do I need to do the same with my other pc, or
can I just connect to the network? I want to be able to connect to internet
at all times from either of my pcs. Further more, I want one of pcs to be
able to have access of all the files on the other one. How can this be
achieved?
Cheers, George



Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 12-17-2006, 02:14 AM
Rod Speed
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Netgear DG834PN Adsl Router With Sony Vaios?

george <george@nospam.nospam> wrote:

> I have 2 Sony Vaios, slightly different models, but both equiped with 802.11g wireless receivers
> and running Windows XP. I configured Netgear's adsl router by using one of the pcs, so on this pc
> I can now cable-connect or wirelessly connect to the internet. I created the network called
> something like 'mynetwork'. Do I need to do the same with my other pc,


Depends on what you have done about wireless security, normally yes.

> or can I just connect to the network?


Not unless you havent bothered to secure the wireless network.

> I want to be able to connect to internet at all times from either of my pcs. Further more, I want
> one of pcs to be able to have access of all the files on the other one. How can this be achieved?


That last bit needs to have permission granted to the files you want
to allow access to over the network from the other pc, on both pcs.




Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 12-17-2006, 11:58 AM
kony
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Netgear DG834PN Adsl Router With Sony Vaios?

On Sun, 17 Dec 2006 01:33:45 -0000, "george"
<george@nospam.nospam> wrote:

>Hi All
>I have 2 Sony Vaios, slightly different models, but both equiped with
>802.11g wireless receivers and running Windows XP. I configured Netgear's
>adsl router by using one of the pcs, so on this pc I can now cable-connect
>or wirelessly connect to the internet. I created the network called
>something like 'mynetwork'. Do I need to do the same with my other pc, or
>can I just connect to the network?


There's "need" and there's "want".
You need to have the 2nd system use the router as the
gateway. You might want to set it up to use the router's
DHCP server function to get those parameters from it, or you
might want to manually set it on the 2nd PC. IMO, most
people choose the former.

Any security settings and/or restrictions in place on the
router, will have to allow each client to connect, and if
using a key (or passphrase generated...) the client PC will
need that input. In other words, more info about the
configuration and/or what is presently working will
determing what else needs be done.



>I want to be able to connect to internet
>at all times from either of my pcs. Further more, I want one of pcs to be
>able to have access of all the files on the other one. How can this be
>achieved?


To connect to the internet they merely need consider the
router as the gateway. To share the files they need to be
(most commonly) in the same windows workgroup and have file
sharing enabled. Since there's the wireless aspect and you
want file sharing I strongly suggest using security settings
on the router, particularly WPA instead of WEP if supported-
but I've no idea what your router or client adapters
support... we dont' even know that the 2nd system can't
connect yet or what OS it's using- windows XP or most 3rd
party wifi adapter software will show *access points* you
can attempt to connect to, and have configuration options to
match those security settings in place on the router/access
point.

Read the associated manuals and configuration screens for
each device. If you can't get a wireless connection,
temporarily move the system closer to the router if there's
any question about wireless signal strength.

There are quite a few variables involved, a basic primer on
networking might be most expedient, Google can find lots of
them or you might start at a network centric 'site like
Http://www.practicallynetworked.com as they have a few
tutorials. Once you get it working in the most basic
configuration, proceed to something more advanced.


Reply With Quote
Reply


« New power supply, weird sound problems - HELP! | My monitor keeps turning 'off' »
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
adsl internet with netgear wireless router rangemax router problems vineel@gmail.com alt.internet.wireless 1 02-11-2007 03:48 PM
Netgear router - is ADSL link up? Mark, Devon alt.internet.wireless 1 10-13-2006 04:10 AM
Still a little confused? ukwizkid alt.internet.wireless 2 08-03-2006 12:22 PM


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:06 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45