Go Back   Wireless and Wifi Forums > News > Newsgroups > alt.internet.wireless
Register FAQ Forum Rules Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Advertise Mark Forums Read

 
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 09-17-2005, 04:06 PM
ificandream
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default 2WIRE SBC connection problems

I'm having a problem with my wireless connection. It's the 2Wire Home
Portal/wireless network adaptor connections that came with my SBC account.

The Home Portal is fine but my USB network adaptor connection keeps
dropping. It seems to come back fine by unplugging and plugging it back in
or rebooting.

I think it's the adaptor. SBC says its out of warranty and it'll cost me.
But is there another problem? I'm not using a router...I'm just using the
home portal that came with the SBC software.

By the way, these are two PCs with XP.

Any thoughts? Much appreciated.

Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 09-17-2005, 04:41 PM
Jeff Liebermann
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 2WIRE SBC connection problems

On Sat, 17 Sep 2005 16:06:09 -0000, ificandream
<ficandream@anywhere.com> wrote:

>I'm having a problem with my wireless connection. It's the 2Wire Home
>Portal/wireless network adaptor connections that came with my SBC account.
>
>The Home Portal is fine but my USB network adaptor connection keeps
>dropping. It seems to come back fine by unplugging and plugging it back in
>or rebooting.


What model 2wire? The model number is on the serial number tag on the
bottom of the case.

You should not be using the USB connection for connectivity. You
should be using the ethernet connection. The USB port is useful for
configuration and it's possible to use it to surf the web, but it's
not a great idea.

Could you describe how you have everything wired and cabled?

The way you should be using this is to have the Home Portal login to
your SBC PPPoE account. The two computers then plug into the ethernet
ports on the Home Portal. The USB port is not used. You should NOT
be using Enternet 300 for logging into the SBC DSL network.

Once this is working (and only after it's working), dive into the XP
Control Panel and remove all the useless SBC/Yahoo crap that SBC
supplied as it's totally un-necessary and I suspect causes problems.
See:
http://www.dslreports.com/faq/5306
For administration (via ethernet), try:
http://172.16.1.1 or http://172.16.0.1

>I think it's the adaptor. SBC says its out of warranty and it'll cost me.


It's not the adapter. It's probably the power save or power
management "feature" on either the USB port driver or the computer
that's causing problems.

>But is there another problem? I'm not using a router...I'm just using the
>home portal that came with the SBC software.


The Home Portal *IS* a router. You should be using it as a router,
not as a single machine modem via USB as apparently you have it
configured.

Frankly, methinks you have a mess that is going to require some
substantial tinkering with the setup to get it setup correctly. I
suggest you find a local expert with SBC DSL experience and have them
clean up your system.

>By the way, these are two PCs with XP.


By the way, if you've read any of my junk in this newsgroup, you'll
find that I detest generalities and lack of numeric information.
Pretend you went to an automobile machanic for help with your vehicle
using your same general format. "I have a car with a red paint job".
Not very useful. Kindly supply the make and model of your PC, with
which mutation of XP you're using, and what hardware are you using.

You'll get better answers if you supply:
1. What problem are you trying to solve?
2. What do you have to work with? (hardware and software list)
3. What have you done so far and what happened?

>Any thoughts? Much appreciated.



--
Jeff Liebermann jeffl@comix.santa-cruz.ca.us
150 Felker St #D http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558

Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 09-18-2005, 05:20 PM
ificandream
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 2WIRE SBC connection problems

Jeff Liebermann <jeffl@comix.santa-cruz.ca.us> wrote in
news:ftgoi1pftqqnu1q0pnmbbrv8ertnc24f6t@4ax.com:

> On Sat, 17 Sep 2005 16:06:09 -0000, ificandream
> <ficandream@anywhere.com> wrote:
>
>>I'm having a problem with my wireless connection. It's the 2Wire Home
>>Portal/wireless network adaptor connections that came with my SBC
>>account.
>>
>>The Home Portal is fine but my USB network adaptor connection keeps
>>dropping. It seems to come back fine by unplugging and plugging it
>>back in or rebooting.

>
> What model 2wire? The model number is on the serial number tag on the
> bottom of the case.


1800HW

>
> You should not be using the USB connection for connectivity. You
> should be using the ethernet connection. The USB port is useful for
> configuration and it's possible to use it to surf the web, but it's
> not a great idea.
>


Actually, it is connected with the Ethernet cable from the main portal
to the computer where the modem is connected. Only the wireless
connector uses the USB port. That computer is in another room and it's
more practical to use the USB port there. Plus the wireless connector is
USB, not Ethernet.

> Could you describe how you have everything wired and cabled?


The phone line is connected to the filter and plugged into the wall. The
ethernet cable from the modem is connected to the port on the back of
the computer.


> The way you should be using this is to have the Home Portal login to
> your SBC PPPoE account. The two computers then plug into the ethernet
> ports on the Home Portal. The USB port is not used. You should NOT
> be using Enternet 300 for logging into the SBC DSL network.


The second computer is not nearby, and I'd have to get a very long
Ethernet cable to plug into it. Is that what you're suggesting?

> Once this is working (and only after it's working), dive into the XP
> Control Panel and remove all the useless SBC/Yahoo crap that SBC
> supplied as it's totally un-necessary and I suspect causes problems.
> See:
> http://www.dslreports.com/faq/5306
> For administration (via ethernet), try:
> http://172.16.1.1 or http://172.16.0.1
>
>>I think it's the adaptor. SBC says its out of warranty and it'll cost
>>me.

>
> It's not the adapter. It's probably the power save or power
> management "feature" on either the USB port driver or the computer
> that's causing problems.
>
>>But is there another problem? I'm not using a router...I'm just using
>>the home portal that came with the SBC software.

>
> The Home Portal *IS* a router. You should be using it as a router,
> not as a single machine modem via USB as apparently you have it
> configured.
>
> Frankly, methinks you have a mess that is going to require some
> substantial tinkering with the setup to get it setup correctly. I
> suggest you find a local expert with SBC DSL experience and have them
> clean up your system.
>
>>By the way, these are two PCs with XP.

>
> By the way, if you've read any of my junk in this newsgroup, you'll
> find that I detest generalities and lack of numeric information.
> Pretend you went to an automobile machanic for help with your vehicle
> using your same general format. "I have a car with a red paint job".
> Not very useful. Kindly supply the make and model of your PC, with
> which mutation of XP you're using, and what hardware are you using.


I haven't. I'm new to this group.

> You'll get better answers if you supply:
> 1. What problem are you trying to solve?


Trying to keep my wireless connection from shutting down. The main
connection is fine. It's the network one that has the problem.

> 2. What do you have to work with? (hardware and software list)


Two Pentium IV XP clones, both less than two years old. I can give you
more specs if you need.


> 3. What have you done so far and what happened?


Reinstalled 2Wire drivers on both computers, rechecked wiring on main
computer, moved the USB connection on the networked computer around to
different ports. Torn my hair out. Plugged the network connection back
in on reboot so the connection comes back up after it goes down.


thanks.

Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 09-19-2005, 11:54 AM
Jeff Liebermann
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 2WIRE SBC connection problems

On Sun, 18 Sep 2005 17:20:49 -0000, ificandream
<ficandream@anywhere.com> wrote:

>> What model 2wire? The model number is on the serial number tag on the
>> bottom of the case.

>
>1800HW


Got it. That's the older model ADSL wireless router.

>> You should not be using the USB connection for connectivity. You
>> should be using the ethernet connection. The USB port is useful for
>> configuration and it's possible to use it to surf the web, but it's
>> not a great idea.


>Actually, it is connected with the Ethernet cable from the main portal
>to the computer where the modem is connected.


I'll assume that "it" means the 1800HW ADSL wireless router. What is
a "main portal"? Is that another router? If so, I'm lost.

Modem? What modem? Is there another box acting as an ADSL modem?

>Only the wireless
>connector uses the USB port.


That is NOT the way the USB port on the 1800HW works.

>That computer is in another room and it's
>more practical to use the USB port there. Plus the wireless connector is
>USB, not Ethernet.


Sorry, I'm lost. The computer in the "other" room should have some
type of wireless client adapter attached which apparently is connected
via USB. What is this device?

>The phone line is connected to the filter and plugged into the wall. The
>ethernet cable from the modem is connected to the port on the back of
>the computer.


What modem? The 1800HG has a built in ADSL modem. Do you have a
seperate box that's acting as a modem? What port on the back of the
computer do you have this "modem" connected to? (Ethernet, USB,
serial, parallel, POTS modem?). Are you talking about a dialup POTS
modem?

>The second computer is not nearby, and I'd have to get a very long
>Ethernet cable to plug into it. Is that what you're suggesting?


Yes. It might be easier to just move the computer. The idea is to
take the wireless out of the picture and test the system without
wireless. If that works, whatever is broken is certain to be in the
wireless. If it screws up with a wired connection, then there's
something wrong with the machine. It's a good way to eliminate many
of the potential problems.

>> You'll get better answers if you supply:
>> 1. What problem are you trying to solve?

>
>Trying to keep my wireless connection from shutting down. The main
>connection is fine. It's the network one that has the problem.
>
>> 2. What do you have to work with? (hardware and software list)

>
>Two Pentium IV XP clones, both less than two years old. I can give you
>more specs if you need.


No, that's fine. It would be nice to know if it's XP Home, Pro, or
Media Edition. Also whether you have SP2 installed. Whether you have
a 3rd party firewall or security software in place. What model
wireless devices you have installed. What version hardware wireless
devices. What version firmware if there have been some upgrades?
Whether you've scanned for viruses and spyware? Are you getting the
picture? If you use the word "it" in your description, please verify
that you reference what device you mean by "it".

>> 3. What have you done so far and what happened?

>
>Reinstalled 2Wire drivers on both computers,


Which 2 wire driver? Which versions? The 2wire driver is really a
monitor and setup utility for the wired computer and shouldn't have
any effect on operation. The driver on the wireless computer is
critical to the problem as it vaguely sounds like the power management
is turning off the wireless after the machine goes idle.

>rechecked wiring on main
>computer, moved the USB connection on the networked computer around to
>different ports.


I'm still lost as to what you're using for the wireless client device.
What make and model device are you running as a wireless client?

>Torn my hair out. Plugged the network connection back
>in on reboot so the connection comes back up after it goes down.


I hate to hit you with so many questions but I'm unable to decode what
you are working with in the way of equipment, how you have it
arranged, and how it's connected together. Frankly, your description
is vague and confusing.

The shutdown is happening on the wireless client end and probably due
to power management. There's nothing wrong on the 2wire 1800HW end.
I can't offer suggestions until you disclose the nature of your client
adapter and associated version numbers.


--
Jeff Liebermann jeffl@comix.santa-cruz.ca.us
150 Felker St #D http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558

Reply With Quote
Reply


« WRT54G vulnerabilities with pre-4.20.7 firmware | Wireless to wired »
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sony Vaio Wireless Network Connection problems with WEP / WPA security - SOLUTION!! nevinster Troubleshooting 16 09-20-2012 09:18 PM
The Repeater, Access Point, Laptop Triangle of Death (Please Help) TheKingsCrown Network Troubleshooting 11 09-01-2010 09:59 AM
Weird Connection Problems kool2also Network Troubleshooting 3 08-09-2006 03:34 PM
Problems with Wireless Connection frankdowling1@yahoo.com alt.internet.wireless 1 08-05-2005 05:54 AM


All times are GMT. The time now is 06:56 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45