Go Back   Wireless and Wifi Forums > News > Newsgroups > alt.internet.wireless
Register FAQ Forum Rules Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Advertise Mark Forums Read

 
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 04-21-2010, 11:24 AM
Judy Zappacosta
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default With both wireless & ethernet connected, which connection does Windows use?

When a WinXP computer has both a wireless connection (54 Mbps) and an
ethernet connection (100 Mbps), how does Windows choose which connection to
actually use?

Does it pick the fastest? The first to boot up? Does it use both?

How can we tell WHICH connection it's using?

Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 04-21-2010, 12:52 PM
AnthonyL
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: With both wireless & ethernet connected, which connection does Windows use?

On Wed, 21 Apr 2010 11:24:55 +0000 (UTC), Judy Zappacosta
<zappajNOSPAM@Use-Author-Supplied-Address.invalid> wrote:

>When a WinXP computer has both a wireless connection (54 Mbps) and an
>ethernet connection (100 Mbps), how does Windows choose which connection to
>actually use?
>
>Does it pick the fastest? The first to boot up? Does it use both?
>
>How can we tell WHICH connection it's using?


They are giving a routing metric. The one with the lowest metric is
used.

Go to the command prompt and type Route Print


--
AnthonyL

Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 04-21-2010, 10:15 PM
Judy Zappacosta
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: With both wireless & ethernet connected, which connection does Windows use?


On Wed, 21 Apr 2010 12:52:20 GMT, AnthonyL wrote:

>>When a WinXP computer has both a wireless connection (54 Mbps) and an
>>ethernet connection (100 Mbps), how does Windows choose which connection to
>>actually use?


> Go to the command prompt and type Route Print

See the "route print" below.
It's kind of hard to understand.
There are multiple "25" metrics.
Which one does it use?
Lan or Wan?

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\>route print
================================================== =========================
Interface List
0x1 ........................... MS TCP Loopback interface
0x2 ...00 22 14 ac 03 28 ...... Broadcom 440x 10/100 Integrated Controller
- Pac
ket Scheduler Miniport
0x3 ...00 6f 16 95 bc 9e ...... Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 2200BG Network
Connection
- Packet Scheduler Miniport
================================================== =========================
================================================== =========================
Active Routes:
Network Destination Netmask Gateway Interface
Metric
0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 192.168.1.40 192.168.1.102 25
0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 192.168.1.40 192.168.1.101 20
192.168.1.0 255.255.255.0 192.168.1.101 192.168.1.101 20
192.168.1.0 255.255.255.0 192.168.1.102 192.168.1.102 25
192.168.1.101 255.255.255.255 127.0.0.1 127.0.0.1 20
192.168.1.102 255.255.255.255 127.0.0.1 127.0.0.1 25
192.255.255.255 255.255.255.255 192.168.1.101 192.168.1.101 20
192.255.255.255 255.255.255.255 192.168.1.102 192.168.1.102 25
127.0.0.0 255.0.0.0 127.0.0.1 127.0.0.1 1
224.0.0.0 240.0.0.0 192.168.1.101 192.168.1.101 20
224.0.0.0 240.0.0.0 192.168.1.102 192.168.1.102 25
255.255.255.255 255.255.255.255 192.168.1.101 192.168.1.101 1
255.255.255.255 255.255.255.255 192.168.1.102 192.168.1.102 1
Default Gateway: 192.168.1.40
================================================== =========================
Persistent Routes:
None

Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 04-22-2010, 01:52 AM
DevilsPGD
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: With both wireless & ethernet connected, which connection does Windows use?

In message <1pglqhjngq1wo.dlg@sbcglobal.net> Judy Zappacosta
<zappajNOSPAM@sbcglobal.net> was claimed to have wrote:

>
>On Wed, 21 Apr 2010 12:52:20 GMT, AnthonyL wrote:
>
>>>When a WinXP computer has both a wireless connection (54 Mbps) and an
>>>ethernet connection (100 Mbps), how does Windows choose which connection to
>>>actually use?

>
>> Go to the command prompt and type Route Print

>See the "route print" below.
>It's kind of hard to understand.
>There are multiple "25" metrics.
>Which one does it use?
>Lan or Wan?
>
>================================================= ==========================
>Active Routes:
>Network Destination Netmask Gateway Interface
>Metric
> 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 192.168.1.40 192.168.1.102 25
> 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 192.168.1.40 192.168.1.101 20
> 192.168.1.0 255.255.255.0 192.168.1.101 192.168.1.101 20
> 192.168.1.0 255.255.255.0 192.168.1.102 192.168.1.102 25
> 192.168.1.101 255.255.255.255 127.0.0.1 127.0.0.1 20
> 192.168.1.102 255.255.255.255 127.0.0.1 127.0.0.1 25
> 192.255.255.255 255.255.255.255 192.168.1.101 192.168.1.101 20
> 192.255.255.255 255.255.255.255 192.168.1.102 192.168.1.102 25
> 127.0.0.0 255.0.0.0 127.0.0.1 127.0.0.1 1
> 224.0.0.0 240.0.0.0 192.168.1.101 192.168.1.101 20
> 224.0.0.0 240.0.0.0 192.168.1.102 192.168.1.102 25
> 255.255.255.255 255.255.255.255 192.168.1.101 192.168.1.101 1
> 255.255.255.255 255.255.255.255 192.168.1.102 192.168.1.102 1
>Default Gateway: 192.168.1.40
>================================================= ==========================


There aren't any duplicated routes with the same metric here, but
rather, you have two almost identical routing options for any particular
destination, one with a metric of 20 and the other with a metric of 25.

The only routes that aren't exactly duplicated are the 192.168.1.101 and
192.168.1.102 routes which are routed as loopback addresses.

Since 20 wins over 25, 192.168.1.101 will be the default interface.

Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 04-22-2010, 03:08 PM
bod43
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: With both wireless & ethernet connected, which connection doesWindows use?

On 22 Apr, 02:52, DevilsPGD <Still-Just-A-Rat-In-A-C...@crazyhat.net>
wrote:
> In message <1pglqhjngq1wo....@sbcglobal.net> Judy Zappacosta
> <zappajNOS...@sbcglobal.net> was claimed to have wrote:
>
>
>
>
>
> >On Wed, 21 Apr 2010 12:52:20 GMT, AnthonyL wrote:

>
> >>>When a WinXP computer has both a wireless connection (54 Mbps) and an
> >>>ethernet connection (100 Mbps), how does Windows choose which connection to
> >>>actually use?

>
> >> Go to the command prompt and type Route Print

> >See the "route print" below.
> >It's kind of hard to understand.
> >There are multiple "25" metrics.
> >Which one does it use?
> >Lan or Wan?

>
> >================================================= ==========================
> >Active Routes:
> >Network Destination * * * *Netmask * * * * *Gateway * * * Interface
> >Metric
> > * * * * * 0.0.0.0 * * * * *0.0.0.0 * * *192.168.1.40 * *192.168.1.102 *25
> > * * * * * 0.0.0.0 * * * * *0.0.0.0 * * *192.168.1.40 * *192.168.1.101 *20
> > * * * 192.168.1.0 * *255.255.255.0 * * 192.168.1.101 * *192.168.1.101 *20
> > * * * 192.168.1.0 * *255.255.255.0 * * 192.168.1.102 * *192.168.1.102 *25
> > * * 192.168.1.101 *255.255.255.255 * * * *127.0.0.1 * * * 127.0.0.1 * *20
> > * * 192.168.1.102 *255.255.255.255 * * * *127.0.0.1 * * * 127.0.0.1 * *25
> > * 192.255.255.255 *255.255.255.255 * * 192.168.1.101 * *192..168.1.101 *20
> > * 192.255.255.255 *255.255.255.255 * * 192.168.1.102 * *192..168.1.102 *25
> > * * * * 127.0.0.0 * * * *255.0.0.0 * * * *127.0..0.1 * * * 127.0.0.1 * *1
> > * * * * 224.0.0.0 * * * *240.0.0.0 * * 192.168.1.101 * *192.168.1.101 *20
> > * * * * 224.0.0.0 * * * *240.0.0.0 * * 192.168.1.102 * *192.168.1.102 *25
> > * 255.255.255.255 *255.255.255.255 * * 192.168.1.101 * *192..168.1.101 *1
> > * 255.255.255.255 *255.255.255.255 * * 192.168.1.102 * *192..168.1.102 *1
> >Default Gateway: * * * 192.168.1.40
> >================================================= ==========================

>
> There aren't any duplicated routes with the same metric here, but
> rather, you have two almost identical routing options for any particular
> destination, one with a metric of 20 and the other with a metric of 25.
>
> The only routes that aren't exactly duplicated are the 192.168.1.101 and
> 192.168.1.102 routes which are routed as loopback addresses.
>
> Since 20 wins over 25, 192.168.1.101 will be the default interface.


You can chose which interface to use:-
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/894564

The only entries that are particularly relevant
are the top four.

The top two determine which interfaces are used for
traffic sent to your router, the next two are for
local traffic to PCs on your local network.
In both cases interface 192.168.1.101
is being used since the metric is 20 which is better
than 25.

Just ignore the rest, it is only there to confuse you:)


Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 04-22-2010, 08:21 PM
Judy Zappacosta
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: With both wireless & ethernet connected, which connection does Windows use?

On Thu, 22 Apr 2010 08:08:39 -0700 (PDT), bod43 wrote:

> The top two determine which interfaces are used for
> traffic sent to your router,


I first ran an "ipconfig /all" which defined the LAN at 192.168.1.101 and
the WAN at 192.168.1.102.

Then I ran a "route /print" which reported the 192.168.1.101 metric cost
was 20 and the 192.168.1.102 metric cost was 25.

So, given your information, I can conclude the WinXP PC is using the LAN
which has a lower metric cost than the WAN.

Is a "20" a "decent" metric cost?

Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 04-23-2010, 12:18 AM
Char Jackson
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: With both wireless & ethernet connected, which connection does Windows use?

On Thu, 22 Apr 2010 20:21:16 +0000 (UTC), Judy Zappacosta
<zappajNOSPAM@Use-Author-Supplied-Address.invalid> wrote:

>On Thu, 22 Apr 2010 08:08:39 -0700 (PDT), bod43 wrote:
>
>> The top two determine which interfaces are used for
>> traffic sent to your router,

>
>I first ran an "ipconfig /all" which defined the LAN at 192.168.1.101 and
>the WAN at 192.168.1.102.


The ipconfig command doesn't tell you that. It tells you the IP
address assigned to each network interface, their respective subnet
masks, gateways, and DNS servers.

What you found is that one of your network interfaces is assigned the
IP address 192.168.1.101 and the other network interface is assigned
the IP address 192.168.1.102.

LAN = local area network, the network on your side of the router.
WAN = wide area network, everything on the other side of the router.

>Then I ran a "route /print" which reported the 192.168.1.101 metric cost
>was 20 and the 192.168.1.102 metric cost was 25.


The command is simply "route print", not "route /print", but you got
it right since you saw the metrics.

>So, given your information, I can conclude the WinXP PC is using the LAN
>which has a lower metric cost than the WAN.


LAN and WAN are again misused here, but you're correct that one
interface (with the lower metric) is given priority over the other
interface (with the higher metric).

>Is a "20" a "decent" metric cost?


The actual metric values are unimportant. The important thing is their
values relative to each other.


Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 04-23-2010, 04:22 AM
Judy Zappacosta
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: With both wireless & ethernet connected, which connection does Windows use?

On Thu, 22 Apr 2010 19:18:43 -0500, Char Jackson wrote:

>>Is a "20" a "decent" metric cost?

> The actual metric values are unimportant. The important thing is their
> values relative to each other.


I was accidentally using WAN to mean the wireless area network and the LAN
to be the wired network but I do see what you mean.

So this seems to work to tell which network interface card is being used
when there are more than one network interface cards:

(1) Run "ipconfig /all" to figure out which network interface card is
associated with each IP address

(2) Run "route print" to figure out which IP address has the lowest metric
(the first two lines of the output).

(3) The IP address with the lowest metric is the one being used; the other
IP address is not being used.

Did I get it right this time?

Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 04-23-2010, 07:08 PM
Char Jackson
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: With both wireless & ethernet connected, which connection does Windows use?

On Fri, 23 Apr 2010 04:22:59 +0000 (UTC), Judy Zappacosta
<zappajNOSPAM@Use-Author-Supplied-Address.invalid> wrote:

>On Thu, 22 Apr 2010 19:18:43 -0500, Char Jackson wrote:
>
>>>Is a "20" a "decent" metric cost?

>> The actual metric values are unimportant. The important thing is their
>> values relative to each other.

>
>I was accidentally using WAN to mean the wireless area network and the LAN
>to be the wired network but I do see what you mean.
>
>So this seems to work to tell which network interface card is being used
>when there are more than one network interface cards:
>
>(1) Run "ipconfig /all" to figure out which network interface card is
>associated with each IP address


Good.

>(2) Run "route print" to figure out which IP address has the lowest metric
>(the first two lines of the output).


Good.

>(3) The IP address with the lowest metric is the one being used; the other
>IP address is not being used.


I'd rewrite that to say, "The network interface with the lowest metric
is the one being used by default." Other network interface(s) would be
used if specific route statements apply to them.

>Did I get it right this time?


Very good.


Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 04-23-2010, 10:35 PM
Aaron Leonard
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: With both wireless & ethernet connected, which connection does Windows use?

~ When a WinXP computer has both a wireless connection (54 Mbps) and an
~ ethernet connection (100 Mbps), how does Windows choose which connection to
~ actually use?
~
~ Does it pick the fastest? The first to boot up? Does it use both?
~
~ How can we tell WHICH connection it's using?

Just to add a couple of tips to what's been said:

* you can control what per-connection route metric is used
in the adapter's Properties panel (TCP/IP properties ->
Advanced -> IP Settings -> Uncheck Automatic metric)

* you can also control this in the DHCP server for the
clients, using option 43 ... the option is specified thus:

0x2b option 43
<len> length of the remaining of the option
0x03 "MS default router metric base option subcode"
0x04 suboption length
<value> metric value as a series of 4 bytes

So to set the default router metric to 3, then set option 43 to
0304.0000.0003

(http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../cc977349.aspx)

Cheers,

Aaron

Reply With Quote
Reply


« Re: Volcano and Wifi | Re: Volcano and Wifi »
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Can't connect to Internet via wireless despite wireless indicating connected mb667584 Network Troubleshooting 53 10-19-2012 09:33 AM
Wireless 101, Day One Mark Oney How Tos 1 11-06-2009 01:37 PM
Strange wireless connection problem Grimble alt.internet.wireless 1 01-04-2008 05:48 AM
wireless PC connected to network connection sehale alt.internet.wireless 8 10-28-2005 02:51 PM
Why do I need a software firewall? om.newsgroup@gmail.com comp.security.misc 60 10-15-2005 01:10 AM


All times are GMT. The time now is 07:35 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45