Go Back   Wireless and Wifi Forums > News > Newsgroups > alt.internet.wireless
Register FAQ Forum Rules Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Advertise Mark Forums Read

 
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 09-20-2006, 02:51 AM
Greg
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Cannot Access Internet through Router

Hi,

I have an SMC2804WBRP-G router that can handle wireless communication.
I also have a high speed cable modem. I have been able to successfully
connect the cable modem to my router and then have my computer talk to
the router.

However, I am having one heck of a time trying to get my laptop to
connect to the router wirelessly and browse the internet. I've been
able to have my laptop connect to the router (it says connected)... but
then nada... it can't get to the internet.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

Greg


Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 09-20-2006, 11:04 AM
RBM
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Cannot Access Internet through Router

go into network connections, find your network card, highlight TCP/IP, click
properties and see if it's set to "obtain IP address automatically"


"Greg" <grthomas@magma.ca> wrote in message
news:1158720666.401464.16440@i42g2000cwa.googlegro ups.com...
> Hi,
>
> I have an SMC2804WBRP-G router that can handle wireless communication.
> I also have a high speed cable modem. I have been able to successfully
> connect the cable modem to my router and then have my computer talk to
> the router.
>
> However, I am having one heck of a time trying to get my laptop to
> connect to the router wirelessly and browse the internet. I've been
> able to have my laptop connect to the router (it says connected)... but
> then nada... it can't get to the internet.
>
> Anyone have any ideas?
>
> Thanks
>
> Greg
>




Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 09-20-2006, 11:48 AM
jtpr
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Cannot Access Internet through Router


Greg wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have an SMC2804WBRP-G router that can handle wireless communication.
> I also have a high speed cable modem. I have been able to successfully
> connect the cable modem to my router and then have my computer talk to
> the router.
>
> However, I am having one heck of a time trying to get my laptop to
> connect to the router wirelessly and browse the internet. I've been
> able to have my laptop connect to the router (it says connected)... but
> then nada... it can't get to the internet.
>
> Anyone have any ideas?
>
> Thanks
>
> Greg


Can you go to a command prompt on the laptop and do an "ipconfig/all"
and post the output here?

-Jim


Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 09-20-2006, 10:04 PM
Mark McIntyre
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Cannot Access Internet through Router

On 19 Sep 2006 19:51:06 -0700, in alt.internet.wireless , "Greg"
<grthomas@magma.ca> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I have an SMC2804WBRP-G router that can handle wireless communication.
>I also have a high speed cable modem. I have been able to successfully
>connect the cable modem to my router and then have my computer talk to
>the router.
>
>However, I am having one heck of a time trying to get my laptop to
>connect to the router wirelessly and browse the internet. I've been
>able to have my laptop connect to the router (it says connected)... but
>then nada... it can't get to the internet.
>
>Anyone have any ideas?


Unplug the modem from the router while doing these tests, you don't
want to get anything nasty from the 'net.

Make sure router and laptop are both using the same wireless mode and
SSID. Make sure the laptop is using DHCP to get an address.

Turn off all encryption at both ends. Windows lies when it says
connected, it means "I can pick up radio, but I can't neccessarily
actually use it".

Check your IP address - its probably 169.x.x.x which means you didn't
get an address from the router, probably because encryption key
exchange failed.

Turn off all access control, mac filtering, etc etc under Firewall on
the router. Turn off the firewall on your laptop too.

Once you get connected, start re-enabling things till it breaks. Then
fix the problem...
--
Mark McIntyre

Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 09-20-2006, 10:17 PM
Noxonomus
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Cannot Access Internet through Router

On 19 Sep 2006 "Greg" <grthomas@magma.ca> wrote:

> However, I am having one heck of a time trying to get my laptop to
> connect to the router wirelessly and browse the internet. I've been
> able to have my laptop connect to the router (it says connected)... but
> then nada... it can't get to the internet.
>
> Anyone have any ideas?


It may be your ISP, I use verizon and found that when I hooked up the
router I had two choices. Clone the PCs wired MAC address to the router
(the PC was initially connected directly to the modem), or wait several
hours for the system to notice the change, I don't recall if there was
any thing that had to be done for that second one to work though.


--
Noxonomus

Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 09-21-2006, 12:19 AM
Greg
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Cannot Access Internet through Router

Hi All,

I went with the approach to disable all security and then start
re-enabling it. Unfortunately the culprit seems to be the wifi
security between my router and the laptop.

I've since enabled MAC filtering on the router firewall and will have
to look at the security a little more when I get a chance.

Thanks for all the responses.

Greg

Noxonomus wrote:
> On 19 Sep 2006 "Greg" <grthomas@magma.ca> wrote:
>
> > However, I am having one heck of a time trying to get my laptop to
> > connect to the router wirelessly and browse the internet. I've been
> > able to have my laptop connect to the router (it says connected)... but
> > then nada... it can't get to the internet.
> >
> > Anyone have any ideas?

>
> It may be your ISP, I use verizon and found that when I hooked up the
> router I had two choices. Clone the PCs wired MAC address to the router
> (the PC was initially connected directly to the modem), or wait several
> hours for the system to notice the change, I don't recall if there was
> any thing that had to be done for that second one to work though.
>
>
> --
> Noxonomus



Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 09-21-2006, 02:19 PM
Bill Kearney
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Cannot Access Internet through Router

> I've since enabled MAC filtering on the router firewall

Which you do realize is nearly no security at all, right? All it takes is
for someone else to listen to the airwaves with netstumbler or kismet, learn
the MAC addresses and simply change their PC to use it. Granted, it wreaks
havoc with anything trying to use the same MAC address at that time, and
debugging it can be a real pain.


Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 09-21-2006, 09:28 PM
Mark McIntyre
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Cannot Access Internet through Router

On 20 Sep 2006 17:19:46 -0700, in alt.internet.wireless , "Greg"
<grthomas@magma.ca> wrote:

>Hi All,
>
>I went with the approach to disable all security and then start
>re-enabling it. Unfortunately the culprit seems to be the wifi
>security between my router and the laptop.


Probably a key mismatch. Manufacturers didn't agree about how exactly
to translate from ASCII keys to HEX keys so unless your wireless card
in the laptop is the same make as the router, you're probably keying
it in 'wrong' on one of them.

Try using different styles till it works. Try WPA TKIP with pre-shared
key with a TEXT passphrase as that ought to be in the same format at
both ends. This works for me with the same router and an Edimax 54G
wireless card using WZC to configure it.

--
Mark McIntyre

Reply With Quote
Reply


« Wireless on the ranch | Cisco LWAPP Help »
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Call for Papers with Extended Deadline: 2007 International Conference on Internet Computing (ICOMP'07), June 25-28, 2007, USA A. M. G. Solo comp.security.misc 0 02-26-2007 11:32 AM
Last Call for Papers: 2007 International Conference on Internet Computing (ICOMP'07), June 25-28, 2007, USA A. M. G. Solo comp.security.misc 0 02-15-2007 07:56 PM
New Dell PC can't access D-Link router configuration page zl79111@hotmail.com alt.comp.hardware 30 01-15-2007 10:30 PM
wireless router "connected" but i cannot access the internet RAZORTAYLOR Troubleshooting 1 01-14-2007 08:30 AM
checking my router Amanda alt.internet.wireless 28 08-08-2006 03:31 PM


All times are GMT. The time now is 03:05 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45