Go Back   Wireless and Wifi Forums > News > Newsgroups > alt.internet.wireless
Register FAQ Forum Rules Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Advertise Mark Forums Read

 
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 04-16-2007, 05:59 AM
Jeff Liebermann
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Cracking WEP in less than 60 seconds

How to crack WEP in less than 60 seconds.
<http://eprint.iacr.org/2007/120.pdf>
Actually, it typically takes about 3-10 seconds to recover the WEP
key.
<http://www.cdc.informatik.tu-darmstadt.de/aircrack-ptw/>
I built it and ran it under Umbutu 6.10 using capture files from
airdump-ng. Works fairly well on the neighborhood assortment of older
PBI/SBC/at&t supplied 2Wire wireless routers that default to WEP
encryption even though they are capeable of doing WPA and WPA2.
However, it failed on an access point with custom tweaked firmware
designed to discourage ARP injection, re-injetion, and flooding as
airdump-ng could not get the required number of ARP replies in a
reasonable amount of time.

Moral: WEP really sucks. Use WPA or WPA2 instead.

--
Jeff Liebermann jeffl@comix.santa-cruz.ca.us
150 Felker St #D http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558

Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 04-16-2007, 08:41 AM
Axel Hammerschmidt
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Cracking WEP in less than 60 seconds

Jeff Liebermann <jeffl@comix.santa-cruz.ca.us> wrote:

<snip>

> <http://www.cdc.informatik.tu-darmstadt.de/aircrack-ptw/>


<snip>

> However, it failed on an access point with custom tweaked firmware
> designed to discourage ARP injection, re-injetion, and flooding as
> airdump-ng could not get the required number of ARP replies in a
> reasonable amount of time.


According to the tu-darmstadt site their software can't crack 256bit WEP
either.

BTW it's a statistical test: using less than 40.000 frames in 50 pct of
all cases.

A 50 pct crtitical region (or 50 pct significance level) is quite large
(small) in statistical tests. Levels are usually set to 90 - 95 pct (10
- 5 pct). Using those values will (probably) result in the usual time
taken to crack WEP.

Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 04-16-2007, 04:58 PM
F8BOE
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Cracking WEP in less than 60 seconds

Jeff Liebermann trolled:

> How to crack WEP in less than 60 seconds.
> <http://eprint.iacr.org/2007/120.pdf>
> Actually, it typically takes about 3-10 seconds to recover the WEP
> key.
> <http://www.cdc.informatik.tu-darmstadt.de/aircrack-ptw/>
> I built it and ran it under Umbutu 6.10 using capture files from
> airdump-ng. Works fairly well on the neighborhood assortment of older
> PBI/SBC/at&t supplied 2Wire wireless routers that default to WEP
> encryption even though they are capeable of doing WPA and WPA2.
> However, it failed on an access point with custom tweaked firmware
> designed to discourage ARP injection, re-injetion, and flooding as
> airdump-ng could not get the required number of ARP replies in a
> reasonable amount of time.
>
> Moral: WEP really sucks. Use WPA or WPA2 instead.
>


256 or 512 bits WEP?
So try to crack mine. Ho ho ho!

Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 04-16-2007, 06:18 PM
Jeff Liebermann
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Cracking WEP in less than 60 seconds

F8BOE <f8boe@bluemail.ch> hath wroth:

>Jeff Liebermann trolled:
>
>> How to crack WEP in less than 60 seconds.
>> <http://eprint.iacr.org/2007/120.pdf>
>> Actually, it typically takes about 3-10 seconds to recover the WEP
>> key.
>> <http://www.cdc.informatik.tu-darmstadt.de/aircrack-ptw/>
>> I built it and ran it under Umbutu 6.10 using capture files from
>> airdump-ng. Works fairly well on the neighborhood assortment of older
>> PBI/SBC/at&t supplied 2Wire wireless routers that default to WEP
>> encryption even though they are capeable of doing WPA and WPA2.
>> However, it failed on an access point with custom tweaked firmware
>> designed to discourage ARP injection, re-injetion, and flooding as
>> airdump-ng could not get the required number of ARP replies in a
>> reasonable amount of time.
>>
>> Moral: WEP really sucks. Use WPA or WPA2 instead.


>256 or 512 bits WEP?
>So try to crack mine. Ho ho ho!


<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wired_Equivalent_Privacy>
"Key size is not the only major security limitation in WEP. Cracking a
longer key requires interception of more packets, but there are active
attacks that stimulate the necessary traffic. There are other
weaknesses in WEP, including the possibility of IV collisions and
altered packets, that are not helped at all by a longer key. See
stream cipher attack."


--
Jeff Liebermann jeffl@comix.santa-cruz.ca.us
150 Felker St #D http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558

Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 04-17-2007, 04:11 AM
John Navas
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Cracking WEP in less than 60 seconds

On Mon, 16 Apr 2007 18:58:18 +0200, F8BOE <f8boe@bluemail.ch> wrote in
<4623ab29$0$6092$426a74cc@news.free.fr>:

>Jeff Liebermann trolled:


>> Moral: WEP really sucks. Use WPA or WPA2 instead.

>
>256 or 512 bits WEP?
>So try to crack mine. Ho ho ho!


Misplaced confidence is a fast track to insecurity.

--
Best regards, FAQ for Wireless Internet: <http://Wireless.wikia.com>
John Navas FAQ for Wi-Fi: <http://wireless.wikia.com/wiki/Wi-Fi>
Wi-Fi How To: <http://wireless.wikia.com/wiki/Wi-Fi_HowTo>
Fixes to Wi-Fi Problems: <http://wireless.wikia.com/wiki/Wi-Fi_Fixes>

Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 04-17-2007, 07:51 AM
Eric Parker
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Cracking WEP in less than 60 seconds


"John Navas" <spamfilter1@navasgroup.com> wrote in message
news:l6i823hdtr5kp34pjqgvsjbj8o3akeo8g2@4ax.com...
> On Mon, 16 Apr 2007 18:58:18 +0200, F8BOE <f8boe@bluemail.ch> wrote
> in
> <4623ab29$0$6092$426a74cc@news.free.fr>:
>
> Misplaced confidence is a fast track to insecurity.
>



Are you sure about that John ?

;-)

Eric

--
Remove the dross to contact me directly



Reply With Quote
Reply


« Need to Change Channel - I've read everything but.... | Belkin N1 card slow »
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
One ring, then 10 seconds of silence, then voicemail eddie alt.cellular.cingular 5 09-25-2006 12:55 PM
Core 2 Duo PC keeps shutting down itself after 2 seconds and booting up nonstop ss6nn1@googlemail.com alt.comp.hardware 17 08-16-2006 09:59 PM
Help...comp shutdowns 10 seconds after boot altcomphardware alt.comp.hardware 4 08-15-2006 06:48 PM
comp freezes 4 second and then runs 4 seconds.. then repeats Jdude217 alt.comp.hardware 7 11-03-2005 08:39 PM
PC Freeze for 4 Seconds Seth_Gecko alt.comp.hardware 8 09-25-2005 02:39 PM


All times are GMT. The time now is 04:22 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45