Go Back   Wireless and Wifi Forums > News > Newsgroups > alt.internet.wireless
Register FAQ Forum Rules Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Advertise Mark Forums Read

 
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 06-23-2011, 10:26 PM
LouB
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default How to get into a wireless router

I have a part time job installing phones for the hard of hearing.
Sometimes I need to hook the phone to an existing wireless router BUT
the client has no clue as to the key or code. Sometimes it is printed
on the router but other times it has been changed by someone (not the
client - who is often lucky they can turn on a computer).
So...
Is there a free (or very inexpensive) program or method that would
enable me to see the code so I can enter it into the phone so the phone
will talk to the router.

TIA

LouB

Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 06-23-2011, 10:33 PM
Pen
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: How to get into a wireless router

On 6/23/2011 6:26 PM, LouB wrote:
> I have a part time job installing phones for the hard of
> hearing.
> Sometimes I need to hook the phone to an existing wireless
> router BUT the client has no clue as to the key or code.
> Sometimes it is printed on the router but other times it has
> been changed by someone (not the client - who is often lucky
> they can turn on a computer).
> So...
> Is there a free (or very inexpensive) program or method that
> would enable me to see the code so I can enter it into the
> phone so the phone will talk to the router.
>
> TIA
>
> LouB

Wireless routers have reset switches, usually on the rear,
that if pushed and help for 10 seconds will return the user
and password to the defaults. The defaultws can be found on
the makers web site. Typical of consumer ones are user=admin
password=password.

Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 06-24-2011, 03:46 AM
LouB
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: How to get into a wireless router

Pen wrote:
> On 6/23/2011 6:26 PM, LouB wrote:
>> I have a part time job installing phones for the hard of
>> hearing.
>> Sometimes I need to hook the phone to an existing wireless
>> router BUT the client has no clue as to the key or code.
>> Sometimes it is printed on the router but other times it has
>> been changed by someone (not the client - who is often lucky
>> they can turn on a computer).
>> So...
>> Is there a free (or very inexpensive) program or method that
>> would enable me to see the code so I can enter it into the
>> phone so the phone will talk to the router.
>>
>> TIA
>>
>> LouB

> Wireless routers have reset switches, usually on the rear,
> that if pushed and help for 10 seconds will return the user
> and password to the defaults. The defaultws can be found on
> the makers web site. Typical of consumer ones are user=admin
> password=password.


Am not able to reset the routers because they are part of client
systems. There may well be other machines which rely on the code in the
router. Think of a 65 year old parent in Florida who's 40 year old
offspring visits once in a while. Or even a household with multiple
machines.

Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 06-24-2011, 04:24 AM
Jeff Liebermann
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: How to get into a wireless router

On Thu, 23 Jun 2011 23:46:49 -0400, LouB <Lou@invalid.invalid> wrote:

>Am not able to reset the routers because they are part of client
>systems. There may well be other machines which rely on the code in the
>router. Think of a 65 year old parent in Florida who's 40 year old
>offspring visits once in a while. Or even a household with multiple
>machines.


Well, if you seriously wanted to break into a specific router, then
perhaps it would be helpful if you would disclose the maker and model
number? Not all routers are identical.

In general, you're not going to break into the router. At best, your
unspecified model router might have a "guest" or "read-only" login
available, which many users forget to change the password. That will
let you read and record the settings. Then, you can safely reset the
router to defaults, and put everything back correctly.

You also didn't bother to mention if this is a DSL, cable, or
satellite system. If DSL, you have a potential problem with PPPoE as
you're probably not going to easily extract the account password.
Fortunately, most ISP's have methods of changing the password over the
phone or online. In some cases, the same password is used for email,
so be sure that email is still working after to reset the router.

If it's a DSL system, and you have a separate DSL modem and wireless
router, it's a fair bet that the PPPoE password is saved in the modem,
and not the router. That's the official AT&T method, which I don't
use. I setup the modem for bridging, and install the PPPoE account
info in the router.

Also, whenever I run into such situations (all too often), I find it
very useful to just call whomever setup the system. Usually it's a
relative, or if a retirement home/village, someone in the village with
a clue. 99% of the time, they point me to a piece of paper, with
everything I need scribbled or printed on it, neatly folder among the
other computer documents, and which the elderly owners forgot to
mention.

Good luck and remember (my) golden rule of computing:
Never do anything to a computer that you can't undo later.
This is also known as "cover thy ***".

--
Jeff Liebermann jeffl@cruzio.com
150 Felker St #D http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558

Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 06-24-2011, 04:26 AM
Char Jackson
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: How to get into a wireless router

On Thu, 23 Jun 2011 23:46:49 -0400, LouB <Lou@invalid.invalid> wrote:

>Pen wrote:
>> On 6/23/2011 6:26 PM, LouB wrote:
>>> I have a part time job installing phones for the hard of
>>> hearing.
>>> Sometimes I need to hook the phone to an existing wireless
>>> router BUT the client has no clue as to the key or code.
>>> Sometimes it is printed on the router but other times it has
>>> been changed by someone (not the client - who is often lucky
>>> they can turn on a computer).
>>> So...
>>> Is there a free (or very inexpensive) program or method that
>>> would enable me to see the code so I can enter it into the
>>> phone so the phone will talk to the router.
>>>
>>> TIA
>>>
>>> LouB

>> Wireless routers have reset switches, usually on the rear,
>> that if pushed and help for 10 seconds will return the user
>> and password to the defaults. The defaultws can be found on
>> the makers web site. Typical of consumer ones are user=admin
>> password=password.

>
>Am not able to reset the routers because they are part of client
>systems. There may well be other machines which rely on the code in the
>router. Think of a 65 year old parent in Florida who's 40 year old
>offspring visits once in a while. Or even a household with multiple
>machines.


A dedicated AP might be your best bet, although it obviously increases
the overall cost of the deployment. At least you wouldn't have to
worry about or mess with the existing router.


Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 06-24-2011, 01:47 PM
LouB
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: How to get into a wireless router

Jeff Liebermann wrote:
> On Thu, 23 Jun 2011 23:46:49 -0400, LouB <Lou@invalid.invalid> wrote:
>
>> Am not able to reset the routers because they are part of client
>> systems. There may well be other machines which rely on the code in the
>> router. Think of a 65 year old parent in Florida who's 40 year old
>> offspring visits once in a while. Or even a household with multiple
>> machines.

>
> Well, if you seriously wanted to break into a specific router, then
> perhaps it would be helpful if you would disclose the maker and model
> number? Not all routers are identical.
>
> In general, you're not going to break into the router. At best, your
> unspecified model router might have a "guest" or "read-only" login
> available, which many users forget to change the password. That will
> let you read and record the settings. Then, you can safely reset the
> router to defaults, and put everything back correctly.
>
> You also didn't bother to mention if this is a DSL, cable, or
> satellite system. If DSL, you have a potential problem with PPPoE as
> you're probably not going to easily extract the account password.
> Fortunately, most ISP's have methods of changing the password over the
> phone or online. In some cases, the same password is used for email,
> so be sure that email is still working after to reset the router.
>
> If it's a DSL system, and you have a separate DSL modem and wireless
> router, it's a fair bet that the PPPoE password is saved in the modem,
> and not the router. That's the official AT&T method, which I don't
> use. I setup the modem for bridging, and install the PPPoE account
> info in the router.
>
> Also, whenever I run into such situations (all too often), I find it
> very useful to just call whomever setup the system. Usually it's a
> relative, or if a retirement home/village, someone in the village with
> a clue. 99% of the time, they point me to a piece of paper, with
> everything I need scribbled or printed on it, neatly folder among the
> other computer documents, and which the elderly owners forgot to
> mention.
>
> Good luck and remember (my) golden rule of computing:
> Never do anything to a computer that you can't undo later.
> This is also known as "cover thy ***".
>

Thanks for all the info!
However the reason for the post is that I visit many different homes and
have to live with different routers. Yes some are easy, BUT for many if
anything was written down it is now lost or the person who set it up is
not available. Many clients are 70 or older and are barely able to
power up the machine:-(( In a nutshell I guess I am screwed <VB sigh>.
The company advises us to use a wired connection and we often do, but
that puts the phone near the computer and the client wants it somewhere
else.
FYI here is the device: https://www.captioncall.com/captioncall/

Thanks for the effort.

LouB

Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 06-24-2011, 03:46 PM
Jeff Liebermann
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: How to get into a wireless router

On Fri, 24 Jun 2011 09:47:39 -0400, LouB <Lou@invalid.invalid> wrote:

>However the reason for the post is that I visit many different homes and
>have to live with different routers.


Ok, you're forgiven, this time only.

>Yes some are easy, BUT for many if
>anything was written down it is now lost or the person who set it up is
>not available. Many clients are 70 or older and are barely able to
>power up the machine:-(( In a nutshell I guess I am screwed <VB sigh>.


I pay about $30 to $40 for a new wireless router. That's about 30
minutes of my time. If I can't deal with their router, I sell them a
new one. If you're worried about losing the connection because of a
PPPoE password, then try the setup with a new router and see if you
have a chance. If it won't play, then walk away due to lack of info.
That usually gets the customers attention and the info should
magigally appear.

>The company advises us to use a wired connection and we often do, but
>that puts the phone near the computer and the client wants it somewhere
>else.


That happens. I carry a roll of CAT5e, RJ45 connectors, and a T25
stapler. The hard part is where I have to drill through the floor or
wall. The worst problems are houses with babies and puppies, that
like to chew on the cable.

If the customer doesn't have the WPA/WPA2 pass phrase, you still have
the wired option. However, that might be tricky if they're "leaching"
off the neighbors, or using a community wi-fi system.

Sigh. There are system for recovering the wireless password by
sniffing. WEP is easy. WPA/WPA2 is possible, but only for fairly
short pass phrases. Start here:
<http://www.aircrack-ng.org>
While this might work, I don't think your employer will allow you
enough time to use this method, and will probably not want to deal
with the potential legal exposure.

If you have access to their client computer, it might be possible to
extract the password from the registry if the customer gives you
access to their computah:
<http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wireless_key.html>

If you need a toolkit for such nefarious activities, I suggest Cain
and Abel:
<http://www.oxid.it/cain.html>
Note that most virus scanners will declare this (and others) to be
evil-ware, and try to remove it. You'll need to create exeptions.

There are also "live CD" distributions, that have all manner of
wireless hacking tools included.
<http://wirelessdefence.org/Contents/WirelessDistros.htm>
I recommend Backtrack:
<http://www.backtrack-linux.org>

Welcome to the dark side...

>FYI here is the device: https://www.captioncall.com/captioncall/


Nice and paid for by the FCC. I don't see why they need this when a
broadband internet connection is required, which implies that they
already own a computah. They could just use any chat program. I have
a nearly deaf relative that uses Skype for voice and chat quite
effectively. I'm guessing the phone is a conventional POTS line,
although you could plug it into a VoIP FXO/FXS box. Do you need to do
port forwarding in the router in order to make the display work?


--
Jeff Liebermann jeffl@cruzio.com
150 Felker St #D http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558

Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 06-25-2011, 03:15 AM
LouB
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: How to get into a wireless router

Jeff Liebermann wrote:
> On Fri, 24 Jun 2011 09:47:39 -0400, LouB <Lou@invalid.invalid> wrote:
>
>> However the reason for the post is that I visit many different homes and
>> have to live with different routers.

>
> Ok, you're forgiven, this time only.
>
>> Yes some are easy, BUT for many if
>> anything was written down it is now lost or the person who set it up is
>> not available. Many clients are 70 or older and are barely able to
>> power up the machine:-(( In a nutshell I guess I am screwed <VB sigh>.

>
> I pay about $30 to $40 for a new wireless router. That's about 30
> minutes of my time. If I can't deal with their router, I sell them a
> new one. If you're worried about losing the connection because of a
> PPPoE password, then try the setup with a new router and see if you
> have a chance. If it won't play, then walk away due to lack of info.
> That usually gets the customers attention and the info should
> magigally appear.
>
>> The company advises us to use a wired connection and we often do, but
>> that puts the phone near the computer and the client wants it somewhere
>> else.

>
> That happens. I carry a roll of CAT5e, RJ45 connectors, and a T25
> stapler. The hard part is where I have to drill through the floor or
> wall. The worst problems are houses with babies and puppies, that
> like to chew on the cable.
>
> If the customer doesn't have the WPA/WPA2 pass phrase, you still have
> the wired option. However, that might be tricky if they're "leaching"
> off the neighbors, or using a community wi-fi system.
>
> Sigh. There are system for recovering the wireless password by
> sniffing. WEP is easy. WPA/WPA2 is possible, but only for fairly
> short pass phrases. Start here:
> <http://www.aircrack-ng.org>
> While this might work, I don't think your employer will allow you
> enough time to use this method, and will probably not want to deal
> with the potential legal exposure.
>
> If you have access to their client computer, it might be possible to
> extract the password from the registry if the customer gives you
> access to their computah:
> <http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wireless_key.html>
>
> If you need a toolkit for such nefarious activities, I suggest Cain
> and Abel:
> <http://www.oxid.it/cain.html>
> Note that most virus scanners will declare this (and others) to be
> evil-ware, and try to remove it. You'll need to create exeptions.
>
> There are also "live CD" distributions, that have all manner of
> wireless hacking tools included.
> <http://wirelessdefence.org/Contents/WirelessDistros.htm>
> I recommend Backtrack:
> <http://www.backtrack-linux.org>
>
> Welcome to the dark side...
>
>> FYI here is the device: https://www.captioncall.com/captioncall/

>
> Nice and paid for by the FCC. I don't see why they need this when a
> broadband internet connection is required, which implies that they
> already own a computah. They could just use any chat program. I have
> a nearly deaf relative that uses Skype for voice and chat quite
> effectively. I'm guessing the phone is a conventional POTS line,
> although you could plug it into a VoIP FXO/FXS box. Do you need to do
> port forwarding in the router in order to make the display work?
>
>

Thanks for the info. I MAY check it out.

The idea of the phone is to help hard of hearing folks be able to
communicate with the world better. I have seen just how happy many of
them are when it helps them. It's why I am working for the company.

Unfortunately this is version 1 of the phone and it needs several
improvements but they are working on it.

BTW Clients do NOT need a computer, just a 14.95 a month DSL connection.
Computer is needed for first time sign-up and I have done it with my own
netbook. Have installed phones for 88 year old folks:-))

Lou

Reply With Quote
Reply


« Re: Wireless hacks | interesting buggy wifi router »
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Re: Wireless Router Can't See Wireless Device Jeff Liebermann alt.internet.wireless 3 08-03-2009 04:00 AM
Name of a particular wireless device Tom Adams alt.internet.wireless 21 07-21-2009 09:32 PM
IBSS wireless channel is different the router's but works - interesting? kimiraikkonen alt.internet.wireless 3 03-31-2007 02:05 AM
Wireless router is no longer a router? Ikke alt.internet.wireless 7 02-01-2007 10:23 PM
How to connect wireless router to wireless router? Othello alt.internet.wireless 2 09-17-2005 05:20 PM


All times are GMT. The time now is 08:15 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45