Go Back   Wireless and Wifi Forums > News > Newsgroups > alt.internet.wireless
Register FAQ Forum Rules Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Advertise Mark Forums Read

 
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 09-28-2006, 03:46 PM
anonym
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Internet connection from Wired router to Wireless router ?

Hi,

I am a newbie in the wireless world. I had a wired - normal router
and just bought a wireless one. I would like my internet connection to
be shared like this :

modem to wired router - already in place
Wired router to my desktop - already in place
Wired router to the wireless router - which port on wireless ? Internet
or WAN or 1 ?
Wireless router to my laptop

Is that possible ? If yes, how should I do it ?

Thanks.


Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 09-28-2006, 05:46 PM
Peter Pan
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Internet connection from Wired router to Wireless router ?

anonym wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am a newbie in the wireless world. I had a wired - normal router
> and just bought a wireless one. I would like my internet connection to
> be shared like this :
>
> modem to wired router - already in place
> Wired router to my desktop - already in place
> Wired router to the wireless router - which port on wireless ?
> Internet or WAN or 1 ?
> Wireless router to my laptop
>
> Is that possible ? If yes, how should I do it ?
>
> Thanks.


Depends.. Do you just want to share internet but no network sharing stuff?
Or do you just want it to be on the network like everything else you already
have?

I'm assuming (<---uh oh) you only want to use it as an AP for your laptop,
but still allow access to everything else... Turn off the DHCP server, set
the IP address to something in the same subnet you are already on, and use
the router part plugged into your existing network..

Think three things in one box with a wap/router combo... Wan in, then the
WAP, then the router... You basically will probably only want the WAP part
for your wireless notebook (internally connects to the router part,
basically makes it an AP on your existing network, usually has the same
subnet address so it can see other devices on the network).




Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 09-28-2006, 06:39 PM
Axel Hammerschmidt
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Internet connection from Wired router to Wireless router ?

Peter Pan <PeterPanNOSPAM@AkamailNOSPAM.com> wrote:

<snip>

> I'm assuming (<---uh oh) you only want to use it as an AP for your laptop,
> but still allow access to everything else... Turn off the DHCP server, set
> the IP address to something in the same subnet you are already on,


This is not necessary to get the router or an AP to work. The ip address
kan be anything in the local ip address range - just as long as the OP
doesn't mind re-assigning the ip-address on the pc used to connect to
the router's (or AP's) configuration page.

> and use the router part plugged into your existing network..
>
> Think three things in one box with a wap/router combo... Wan in, then the
> WAP, then the router... You basically will probably only want the WAP part
> for your wireless notebook (internally connects to the router part,
> basically makes it an AP on your existing network, usually has the same
> subnet address so it can see other devices on the network).


I'm not sure, but should not the router (the one that is to be used as
an AP) be connected (plugged into the existing network) by one of its
LAN ports, and not by the WAN port?

Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 09-28-2006, 08:36 PM
Peter Pan
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Internet connection from Wired router to Wireless router ?

Axel Hammerschmidt wrote:
> Peter Pan <PeterPanNOSPAM@AkamailNOSPAM.com> wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
>> I'm assuming (<---uh oh) you only want to use it as an AP for your
>> laptop, but still allow access to everything else... Turn off the
>> DHCP server, set the IP address to something in the same subnet you
>> are already on,

>
> This is not necessary to get the router or an AP to work. The ip
> address kan be anything in the local ip address range - just as long
> as the OP doesn't mind re-assigning the ip-address on the pc used to
> connect to the router's (or AP's) configuration page.
>


Note the second part of the assumption... "but still allow access to
everything else... " most firewalls (including the one in XP-SP2) will
isolate different subnets.. By making it the same subnet, you still allow
access to everything else...

>> and use the router part plugged into your existing network..
>>
>> Think three things in one box with a wap/router combo... Wan in,
>> then the WAP, then the router... You basically will probably only
>> want the WAP part for your wireless notebook (internally connects to
>> the router part, basically makes it an AP on your existing network,
>> usually has the same subnet address so it can see other devices on
>> the network).

>
> I'm not sure, but should not the router (the one that is to be used as
> an AP) be connected (plugged into the existing network) by one of its
> LAN ports, and not by the WAN port?


Yup, that's EXACTLY what it said in the part (after the comma) you snipped
(and then included later on)... Was "on, and use
the router part plugged into your existing network." .



Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 09-29-2006, 10:40 AM
Axel Hammerschmidt
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Internet connection from Wired router to Wireless router ?

Peter Pan <PeterPanNOSPAM@AkamailNOSPAM.com> wrote:

> Axel Hammerschmidt wrote:
> > Peter Pan <PeterPanNOSPAM@AkamailNOSPAM.com> wrote:
> >
> > <snip>
> >
> >> I'm assuming (<---uh oh) you only want to use it as an AP for your
> >> laptop, but still allow access to everything else... Turn off the
> >> DHCP server, set the IP address to something in the same subnet you
> >> are already on,

> >
> > This is not necessary to get the router or an AP to work. The ip
> > address kan be anything in the local ip address range - just as long
> > as the OP doesn't mind re-assigning the ip-address on the pc used to
> > connect to the router's (or AP's) configuration page.
> >

>
> Note the second part of the assumption... "but still allow access to
> everything else... " most firewalls (including the one in XP-SP2) will
> isolate different subnets.. By making it the same subnet, you still allow
> access to everything else...


The point is, it doesn't matter what the AP's ip-address is, as long as
it's in the private ip-address range. I keep all my APs at the default
addresses and have network controlpanels setup with the appropriate
subnet to access the AP for configuration. Then I do not have to consult
the manual each time to find out what the default address when I have to
reset- or reconfigure the AP, which is the only time I need to use these
address.

Any connected computer get its ip-address from the DHCP server in the
router, to which the AP is connected (to one of its LAN ports).

To "allow access to everthing else" from the PC, it must be on the same
subnet, unless you change the net mask to something like 255.0.0.0. What
price you pay, for ex in performance in that case I do not know.

> >> and use the router part plugged into your existing network..
> >>
> >> Think three things in one box with a wap/router combo... Wan in,
> >> then the WAP, then the router... You basically will probably only
> >> want the WAP part for your wireless notebook (internally connects to
> >> the router part, basically makes it an AP on your existing network,
> >> usually has the same subnet address so it can see other devices on
> >> the network).

> >
> > I'm not sure, but should not the router (the one that is to be used as
> > an AP) be connected (plugged into the existing network) by one of its
> > LAN ports, and not by the WAN port?

>
> Yup, that's EXACTLY what it said in the part (after the comma) you snipped
> (and then included later on)... Was "on, and use
> the router part plugged into your existing network." .


In my opinion, the description needs clarification. I have run seen
posts in wireless news groups where the second router has been connected
using its WAN port.

Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 09-29-2006, 02:10 PM
Mark McIntyre
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Internet connection from Wired router to Wireless router ?

On Fri, 29 Sep 2006 12:40:32 +0200, in alt.internet.wireless ,
hlexa@hotmail.com (Axel Hammerschmidt) wrote:

>To "allow access to everthing else" from the PC, it must be on the same
>subnet, unless you change the net mask to something like 255.0.0.0. What
>price you pay, for ex in performance in that case I do not know.


In a home network, approximately none. In an office LAN with thousands
of PCs, all chattering and maybe with a socking great realtime
datafeed using UDP broadcast, its a considerable benefit.

--
Mark McIntyre

Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 09-29-2006, 06:21 PM
Peter Pan
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Internet connection from Wired router to Wireless router ?

Mark McIntyre wrote:
> On Fri, 29 Sep 2006 12:40:32 +0200, in alt.internet.wireless ,
> hlexa@hotmail.com (Axel Hammerschmidt) wrote:
>
>> To "allow access to everthing else" from the PC, it must be on the
>> same subnet, unless you change the net mask to something like
>> 255.0.0.0. What price you pay, for ex in performance in that case I
>> do not know.

>
> In a home network, approximately none. In an office LAN with thousands
> of PCs, all chattering and maybe with a socking great realtime
> datafeed using UDP broadcast, its a considerable benefit.


Even in a home network I have a printer on a specifi subnet, that can only
be used by puters on the same subnet.... DSL modem and same for a backup
(dialup modem).. Aren't modems and printers a benefit? :)



Reply With Quote
Reply


« Linksys WRT54 router | I need a new wireless toy... »
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
1st PC build bryant.rossiter@gmail.com alt.comp.hardware 28 09-09-2006 09:04 PM
Wireless Router & Internet Explorer - - HELP! Hawkman217 alt.internet.wireless 3 08-20-2006 04:59 PM
How can I have a wireless connection to the internet? please help Reza alt.internet.wireless 2 07-26-2006 06:09 PM


All times are GMT. The time now is 09:37 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45