utopia14 <email@example.com> hath wroth:
>My Linksys WRT54G v. 3.0 has a blinking power light.
Not good. That usually means there's a checksum failure in the
firmware. You might try reloading it with new firmware.
>I read on Linksys'
>site that I should update the firmware. Unfortunately, my computer
>isn't even seeing the router.
Wanna tell us a bit about what's been done to this router? Attempts
to load alternative firmware perhaps? Juggling wall warts?
Have you tried to reset the router to defaults using the reset button?
You have to hold it down for quite a while (30 sec) in order to do the
After the reset, do the following:
1. Set the IP address of your PC to 192.168.1.10.
2. Run a CAT5 cable between the PC and one of the LAN ports on the
3. Unplug the power to the router. Yes, I said *UNPLUG*.
4. On the PC, run:
ping -t 192.168.1.1
Don't worry about ping failures at this time.
5. Now, apply power to the router and watch the screen. At some
point, it should start responding to the pings. After a few seconds,
it will stop responding. If it works like this, your router can be
6. Use TFTP to upload the latest firmware. Same ritual. *UNPLUG*
the power to the router.
7. From the DOS cmd prompt, run:
tftp -i 192.168.1.1 PUT latest_firmware.bin
8. It should take about 5-15 seconds to upload. When done, leave it
alone until the front panel lights cease flashing. Go get a cup of
coffee or something. Resist the temption to play on the keyboard or
power cycle the router. It takes about 60 seconds.
9. Power cycle the router and try pointing your web browser to: http://192.168.1.1/
>My modem is connected to the router, and my computer is connected
>through one of the router's ports, but when I ping 192.168.1.1 I'm
>getting a time out.
>All my computer can see is the modem. It's like I'm not even connected
>to the router.
>Any ideas on how I can fix this? Thanks for any and all help.
Jeff Liebermann firstname.lastname@example.org
150 Felker St #D http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558