Go Back   Wireless and Wifi Forums > News > Newsgroups > alt.internet.wireless
Register FAQ Forum Rules Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Advertise Mark Forums Read

 
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 12-04-2007, 05:24 AM
seaweedsteve
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Wireless USB adapters VS. wireless PCI adapters

I lean towards USB adapters WITH EXTERNAL ANTENNA CONNECTOR. Hawking
makes one. There are others on the market as well.

To me this is the best of both worlds. A PCI card will not typically
have good range when stuck behind your metal pc. You can buy a remote
antenna with cable, but their thin cables typically are lossy.

A USB adapter can be placed higher,, and often, even with it's
typically weaker stock antenna (antenna is more important that power)
it can work better due to better placement.

Furthermore, USB extensions do not lose power like antenna cables.

Finally, if it has an external antenna connector, you can directly
attach a higher gain directional antenna (again, avoid antenna cables,
if possible) and improve range and power over a PCI.

Steve

Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 12-04-2007, 02:32 PM
spamlet
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Wireless USB adapters VS. wireless PCI adapters



seaweedsteve wrote:
> I lean towards USB adapters WITH EXTERNAL ANTENNA CONNECTOR. Hawking
> makes one. There are others on the market as well.
>
> To me this is the best of both worlds. A PCI card will not typically
> have good range when stuck behind your metal pc. You can buy a remote
> antenna with cable, but their thin cables typically are lossy.
>
> A USB adapter can be placed higher,, and often, even with it's
> typically weaker stock antenna (antenna is more important that power)
> it can work better due to better placement.
>
> Furthermore, USB extensions do not lose power like antenna cables.
>
> Finally, if it has an external antenna connector, you can directly
> attach a higher gain directional antenna (again, avoid antenna cables,
> if possible) and improve range and power over a PCI.
>
> Steve


Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 12-04-2007, 02:43 PM
spamlet
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Wireless USB adapters VS. wireless PCI adapters

On Dec 4, 3:32 pm, spamlet <spam.mores...@ntlworld.com> wrote:
> seaweedsteve wrote:
> > I lean towards USB adapters WITH EXTERNAL ANTENNA CONNECTOR. Hawking
> > makes one. There are others on the market as well.

>
> > To me this is the best of both worlds. A PCI card will not typically
> > have good range when stuck behind your metal pc. You can buy a remote
> > antenna with cable, but their thin cables typically are lossy.

>
> > A USB adapter can be placed higher,, and often, even with it's
> > typically weaker stock antenna (antenna is more important that power)
> > it can work better due to better placement.

>
> > Furthermore, USB extensions do not lose power like antenna cables.

>
> > Finally, if it has an external antenna connector, you can directly
> > attach a higher gain directional antenna (again, avoid antenna cables,
> > if possible) and improve range and power over a PCI.

>
> > Steve- Hide quoted text -

>
> - Show quoted text -


If your spare m/c is an older one you may or may not have problems
getting it to recognise the USB adaptor (Buffalo). We tried to do
just as you, and found that our old Dell laptop recognised the adaptor
for about a week, and was very good. Then it decided not to recognise
the device any more, and despite a lengthy correspondence in these
columns I never did manage to find out how to keep it 'recognised'.
The device is still in use however, as we found it was much faster on
our main pc than the onboard D-Link card. It also seems to work
faster still when both adaptors are working at the same time - but
they don't always 'get on'.

I looked at using a PCI card instead of the USB, but, found as many
threads dealing with these not being 'recognised' as for our USB (with
or without additional power supply), so decided not to bother in the
end. Old laptop is rather heavy, and ready for replacement anyway...

S

Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 12-04-2007, 05:44 PM
miso@sushi.com
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Wireless USB adapters VS. wireless PCI adapters

On Dec 4, 7:43 am, spamlet <spam.mores...@ntlworld.com> wrote:
> On Dec 4, 3:32 pm, spamlet <spam.mores...@ntlworld.com> wrote:
>
>
>
> > seaweedsteve wrote:
> > > I lean towards USB adapters WITH EXTERNAL ANTENNA CONNECTOR. Hawking
> > > makes one. There are others on the market as well.

>
> > > To me this is the best of both worlds. A PCI card will not typically
> > > have good range when stuck behind your metal pc. You can buy a remote
> > > antenna with cable, but their thin cables typically are lossy.

>
> > > A USB adapter can be placed higher,, and often, even with it's
> > > typically weaker stock antenna (antenna is more important that power)
> > > it can work better due to better placement.

>
> > > Furthermore, USB extensions do not lose power like antenna cables.

>
> > > Finally, if it has an external antenna connector, you can directly
> > > attach a higher gain directional antenna (again, avoid antenna cables,
> > > if possible) and improve range and power over a PCI.

>
> > > Steve- Hide quoted text -

>
> > - Show quoted text -

>
> If your spare m/c is an older one you may or may not have problems
> getting it to recognise the USB adaptor (Buffalo). We tried to do
> just as you, and found that our old Dell laptop recognised the adaptor
> for about a week, and was very good. Then it decided not to recognise
> the device any more, and despite a lengthy correspondence in these
> columns I never did manage to find out how to keep it 'recognised'.
> The device is still in use however, as we found it was much faster on
> our main pc than the onboard D-Link card. It also seems to work
> faster still when both adaptors are working at the same time - but
> they don't always 'get on'.
>
> I looked at using a PCI card instead of the USB, but, found as many
> threads dealing with these not being 'recognised' as for our USB (with
> or without additional power supply), so decided not to bother in the
> end. Old laptop is rather heavy, and ready for replacement anyway...
>
> S


I had a device (cellphone interface cable) that only worked on usb
port where I first installed the software, as if every usb port was
different. I find I have less issues with PC cards regarding drivers
than usb, but these damn manufacturers dumped cardbus for express,
obsoleting all my cards.

Reply With Quote
Reply


« Help! tracert ** fails ** for any IP outside 192.168.0/24 network | Citywide WiFi - what is needed to set up a repeater in this case? »
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Wireless USB adapters VS. wireless PCI adapters Buzzkill Hardware Discussion 9 10-09-2011 12:11 PM
The Repeater, Access Point, Laptop Triangle of Death (Please Help) TheKingsCrown Network Troubleshooting 11 09-01-2010 09:59 AM
what wireless printer server for HP PSC 1610 printer Amanda alt.internet.wireless 17 08-06-2006 03:51 PM


All times are GMT. The time now is 04:10 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45