Go Back   Wireless and Wifi Forums > News > Newsgroups > alt.internet.wireless
Register FAQ Forum Rules Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Advertise Mark Forums Read

 
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 10-10-2006, 03:51 PM
HotRod
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Sveasoft Client mode ?

I've installed some 3rd party firmware on one of my WRT54G Routers and was
wondering if anyone is using one in Client mode. I was hoping tha tI could
use it like a wireless PCI card but haven't been able to get it to work that
way yet. So far I'm only able to connect it to a singal router at my house.
Is it possible to have the router in client more tell me which SSID's are
available and what the signal strength is just as you would with a laptop or
other PCI card? Or can I only configure it for a single wireless router
connection?

THANKS IN ADVANCE.



Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 10-10-2006, 06:38 PM
Bryant Smith
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Sveasoft Client mode ?

HotRod wrote:
> I've installed some 3rd party firmware on one of my WRT54G Routers and was
> wondering if anyone is using one in Client mode. I was hoping tha tI could
> use it like a wireless PCI card but haven't been able to get it to work that
> way yet. So far I'm only able to connect it to a singal router at my house.
> Is it possible to have the router in client more tell me which SSID's are
> available and what the signal strength is just as you would with a laptop or
> other PCI card? Or can I only configure it for a single wireless router
> connection?
>
> THANKS IN ADVANCE.
>
>


Using the dd-wrt firmaware you can put it in client bridge mode. On the
wireless status page you can have it search for wireless networks and
when it reports back you simply click connect and it joins the network
(as long as the security settings are right) I've never used Sveasoft,
but dd-wrt should do what you want (I am using it that way right now to
connect 3 computers to the net via 1 wifi connection).

Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 10-10-2006, 08:00 PM
HotRod
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Sveasoft Client mode ?

Well I managed to upgrade one of my Routers to run using the Sveasoft
firmware for the WRT54G V1.0 and everyhting seemed to work fine except that
the router was tied to a single SSID from my "main" Router. So I thought I'd
also add on the kismet firmware so that I could select between different
SSID's. This is were it gets wierd.

I can still ping the IP of my router but I can't connect to it or get a GUI
using Internet Explorer. I also tried to use the TFTP command to upload the
kismet .bin but could get it to work. Plus holding the reset button doesn't
seem to do anything anymore. IDEAS?

I think with my other router I may try loading the dd-wrt firmware first and
se how it works but thats for another day.



Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 10-10-2006, 09:20 PM
Bill Kearney
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Sveasoft Client mode ?

Sveasoft sucks, get dd-wrt instead.

http://www.dd-wrt.com


Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 10-10-2006, 10:54 PM
Bryant Smith
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Sveasoft Client mode ?

HotRod wrote:
> Well I managed to upgrade one of my Routers to run using the Sveasoft
> firmware for the WRT54G V1.0 and everyhting seemed to work fine except that
> the router was tied to a single SSID from my "main" Router. So I thought I'd
> also add on the kismet firmware so that I could select between different
> SSID's. This is were it gets wierd.
>
> I can still ping the IP of my router but I can't connect to it or get a GUI
> using Internet Explorer. I also tried to use the TFTP command to upload the
> kismet .bin but could get it to work. Plus holding the reset button doesn't
> seem to do anything anymore. IDEAS?
>
> I think with my other router I may try loading the dd-wrt firmware first and
> se how it works but thats for another day.
>
>


I am not familiar with the Kismet firmware. Is it an OpenWRT variant
with kismet onboard? If so, then there probably isn't a web GUI to log
into. See if you can telnet into the box. If you can do telnet, then
you should be able to configure it to update via tftp. When you do get
tftp working (I've had the most success with linux tftp over windows
tftp), then flash it with dd-wrt.

Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 10-11-2006, 02:08 PM
HotRod
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Sveasoft Client mode ?

It seems like the router is still there but not really responding to me.
Instead of using the regular IP 192.168.1.1 after isntalling Sveasoft it was
changed to 192.168.1.129 but after trying to upload the firmware from kismet
using TFTP the IP address of my computer is 169.254.5.234 and there is no
default gateway set. How can I find the new IP address of the router?



Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 10-11-2006, 04:54 PM
HotRod
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Sveasoft Client mode ?

Bryant
I've now switched a different router over to DD-WRT since the other
router seems to be in brick mode. I was wondering once I put the dd-wrt into
client bridge mode how where do I change the settings so that it searches
for networks and informs me?



Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 10-11-2006, 05:15 PM
HotRod
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Sveasoft Client mode ?


"HotRod" <NoSpam@YourEmail.com> wrote in message
news:12iq8ddcskk8c41@corp.supernews.com...
> Bryant
> I've now switched a different router over to DD-WRT since the other
> router seems to be in brick mode. I was wondering once I put the dd-wrt
> into client bridge mode how where do I change the settings so that it
> searches for networks and informs me?




I think I found my answer though I was hoping that it would promp me to
connect without logging into the router. I wonder if instead of connecting
to the other network using my router if I should just buy a bunch of single
wireless cards and high gain antennas, that way each PC user will have the
option of what to conenct to.



Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 10-11-2006, 05:32 PM
Bryant Smith
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Sveasoft Client mode ?

HotRod wrote:
> Bryant
> I've now switched a different router over to DD-WRT since the other
> router seems to be in brick mode. I was wondering once I put the dd-wrt into
> client bridge mode how where do I change the settings so that it searches
> for networks and informs me?
>
>


There isn't a method of sending you information about which networks are
available, but there is a page on the configuration page that will. If
you go to the status tab then select wireless it should have a button to
scan for wireless networks. Push that and it will report which networks
are available and some statistics about them. Each network should have
a button next to it that says join. If you click that button it will
automatically set the client bridge SSID to that network and attempt to
connect. If you security settings are correct it will then connect you
to that network. Unfortunately it only allows a connection to that one
network. You cannot build a list of know access points and have it
automatically connect to the best available.

With regards to the bricked WR54G. If you can ping it you should be
able to unbrick it without too much trouble. There are many techniques
out there so with a little googling and some patience you should be able
to revive it. I've bricked all my routers at one time or another and
have always been able to get them back.

Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 10-11-2006, 06:18 PM
HotRod
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Sveasoft Client mode ?


> With regards to the bricked WR54G. If you can ping it you should be
> able to unbrick it without too much trouble. There are many techniques
> out there so with a little googling and some patience you should be able
> to revive it. I've bricked all my routers at one time or another and have
> always been able to get them back.


The router is assigning my notebook an IP address but I can't find the IP
address of the router. IDEAS? I also ahve never got TFTP to function
properly so that might be half the problem.



Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old 10-11-2006, 06:19 PM
HotRod
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Sveasoft Client mode ?

I found the page you mentioned and only have one problem with it. When I try
and connect to the WEP anabled networks it says that it's connected but
isn't and will not prompt for a WEP Key.



Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old 10-11-2006, 06:57 PM
Tony Hwang
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Sveasoft Client mode ?

Bryant Smith wrote:
> HotRod wrote:
>
>> Bryant
>> I've now switched a different router over to DD-WRT since the
>> other router seems to be in brick mode. I was wondering once I put the
>> dd-wrt into client bridge mode how where do I change the settings so
>> that it searches for networks and informs me?
>>

>
> There isn't a method of sending you information about which networks are
> available, but there is a page on the configuration page that will. If
> you go to the status tab then select wireless it should have a button to
> scan for wireless networks. Push that and it will report which networks
> are available and some statistics about them. Each network should have
> a button next to it that says join. If you click that button it will
> automatically set the client bridge SSID to that network and attempt to
> connect. If you security settings are correct it will then connect you
> to that network. Unfortunately it only allows a connection to that one
> network. You cannot build a list of know access points and have it
> automatically connect to the best available.
>
> With regards to the bricked WR54G. If you can ping it you should be
> able to unbrick it without too much trouble. There are many techniques
> out there so with a little googling and some patience you should be able
> to revive it. I've bricked all my routers at one time or another and
> have always been able to get them back.

Hi,
Ping with /t switch is useful and may end up needing JTAG calbe to get
serious to unbrick the router. I did it once just for fun. There are
lots of info on the 'net.

Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old 10-11-2006, 07:32 PM
HotRod
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Sveasoft Client mode ?

> Ping with /t switch is useful and may end up needing JTAG calbe to get
> serious to unbrick the router. I did it once just for fun. There are lots
> of info on the 'net.


I tried using the following to de-brick the router but didn't seem to work

1) Ping -t -w 10 192.168.1.129
2) Unplug and replug in router, wait for response
3) TFTP -i put filename.bin

I jsut can't seem to get the router IP address. IDEAS?



Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old 10-11-2006, 09:13 PM
Bryant Smith
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Sveasoft Client mode ?

HotRod wrote:
>> Ping with /t switch is useful and may end up needing JTAG calbe to get
>> serious to unbrick the router. I did it once just for fun. There are lots
>> of info on the 'net.

>
> I tried using the following to de-brick the router but didn't seem to work
>
> 1) Ping -t -w 10 192.168.1.129
> 2) Unplug and replug in router, wait for response
> 3) TFTP -i put filename.bin
>
> I jsut can't seem to get the router IP address. IDEAS?
>
>


Can you telnet to the router? It could be that boot_wait is not on and
therefore not looking to be programmed by tftp. If you can telnet into
the router try to turn on boot wait.

Here are the commands to enable boot_wait:

telnet into the bricked router:

nvram set boot_wait=on
nvram commit

reboot and attempt tftp

Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old 10-12-2006, 12:40 PM
HotRod
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Sveasoft Client mode ?

BUT how do I find the router IP?



Reply With Quote
  #16 (permalink)  
Old 10-12-2006, 07:16 PM
Bryant Smith
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Sveasoft Client mode ?

HotRod wrote:
> BUT how do I find the router IP?
>
>

Have you tried the default IP? It think the Linksys default is
192.168.0.1, but I could be wrong. Also try 192.168.1.1. In a prevous
post I thought you mentioned that you could still ping it. If you a
ping sweep utility like nmap on linux, you could search for it that way.
you could also hook up a sniffer like ethereal to see if it is
broadcasting anything.

Reply With Quote
  #17 (permalink)  
Old 10-12-2006, 08:14 PM
HotRod
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Sveasoft Client mode ?

> Have you tried the default IP? It think the Linksys default is
> 192.168.0.1, but I could be wrong. Also try 192.168.1.1. In a prevous
> post I thought you mentioned that you could still ping it. If you a ping
> sweep utility like nmap on linux, you could search for it that way. you
> could also hook up a sniffer like ethereal to see if it is broadcasting
> anything.


I'll give these a shot tomorrow THANKS



Reply With Quote
Reply


« how do i ( economically...) create interference in MY house to block neighbors' wifi signals... | Sniffer Software? »
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
ap with authentication via radius in client mode bartoszes Hardware Discussion 0 01-05-2007 08:58 AM
Access Point that supports Wireless Client - Client Mode gencode alt.internet.wireless 2 12-27-2006 10:39 PM
[SSL-Talk List FAQ] Secure Sockets Layer Discussion List FAQ v1.1.1 Shannon Appel comp.security.misc 0 10-19-2005 04:37 AM
[SSL-Talk List FAQ] Secure Sockets Layer Discussion List FAQ v1.1.1 Shannon Appel comp.security.misc 0 08-30-2005 04:26 AM
[SSL-Talk List FAQ] Secure Sockets Layer Discussion List FAQ v1.1.1 Shannon Appel comp.security.misc 0 07-31-2005 04:25 AM


All times are GMT. The time now is 04:31 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45