Go Back   Wireless and Wifi Forums > News > Newsgroups > alt.internet.wireless
Register FAQ Forum Rules Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Advertise Mark Forums Read

 
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 09-27-2005, 02:45 AM
bwadamson@gmail.com
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Using a Linksys router as an access point

Hi,
I have two wireless routers. One is connected as normal, but I want to
extend my range with the other one (i.e. turn it into an access point).
How do I do it (please tell it step by step, as I have noooo idea at
this point)? Do I have to set up a static IP address? The product says
it is capable of being a wireless access point, but the Linksys website
doesn't tell you how to set it up. Some websites say that I have to
have the access point plugged into an ethernet cable in order to get
the wireless access point...this kind of defeats the purpose.

Thanks in advance.


Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 09-27-2005, 09:36 AM
Doiku
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Using a Linksys router as an access point

If you want step by step instructions for what you want to do, first
you'll have to say what routers you're working with.


Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 09-27-2005, 03:41 PM
Jeff Liebermann
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Using a Linksys router as an access point

On 26 Sep 2005 19:45:25 -0700, bwadamson@gmail.com wrote:

>I have two wireless routers.


Model numbers please?
Hardware version also.
If WRT54G and alternative firmware, name and version.

> One is connected as normal,


I'll assume that "normal" means setup as a DSL or cable modem router.

>but I want to
>extend my range with the other one (i.e. turn it into an access point).


Easy but I don't think that's what you really want to do. See below.

>How do I do it (please tell it step by step, as I have noooo idea at
>this point)? Do I have to set up a static IP address? The product says
>it is capable of being a wireless access point, but the Linksys website
>doesn't tell you how to set it up. Some websites say that I have to
>have the access point plugged into an ethernet cable in order to get
>the wireless access point...this kind of defeats the purpose.


Oh-oh. I presume that you're trying to setup the 2nd router as a WDS
repeater. It's not clear, but I read between the lines that you do
NOT wish to run a cable between the two boxes. If your mystery
Linksys routers are WRT54G this can be done using WDS. Instructions:

http://www.linksysinfo.org/modules.p...showpage&pid=7

If you DO want to run a cable, and don't want to deal with WDS, or
your mystery Linksys router is not a WRT54G, then you can setup the
2nd router as an access point by:
1. Change the IP address of the 2nd router to 192.168.1.2. The idea
is to not duplicate the IP address of the first router.
2. Optionally set the SSID and encryption keys to the same on both
routers.
3. Ignore the WAN port. The WAN port is not used.
4. Turn OFF the DHCP server on the 2nd router.
5. Connect a cable between one LAN port on the first router, to a LAN
port on the 2nd router. You may need a crossover cable. Make sure
the front panel light are correct for the ports when you plug in the
cable.



--
Jeff Liebermann jeffl@comix.santa-cruz.ca.us
150 Felker St #D http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558

Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 09-28-2005, 01:59 PM
DanR
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Using a Linksys router as an access point



Jeff Liebermann wrote:
> On 26 Sep 2005 19:45:25 -0700, bwadamson@gmail.com wrote:
>
>> I have two wireless routers.

>
> Model numbers please?
> Hardware version also.
> If WRT54G and alternative firmware, name and version.
>
>> One is connected as normal,

>
> I'll assume that "normal" means setup as a DSL or cable modem router.
>
>> but I want to
>> extend my range with the other one (i.e. turn it into an access point).

>
> Easy but I don't think that's what you really want to do. See below.
>
>> How do I do it (please tell it step by step, as I have noooo idea at
>> this point)? Do I have to set up a static IP address? The product says
>> it is capable of being a wireless access point, but the Linksys website
>> doesn't tell you how to set it up. Some websites say that I have to
>> have the access point plugged into an ethernet cable in order to get
>> the wireless access point...this kind of defeats the purpose.

>
> Oh-oh. I presume that you're trying to setup the 2nd router as a WDS
> repeater. It's not clear, but I read between the lines that you do
> NOT wish to run a cable between the two boxes. If your mystery
> Linksys routers are WRT54G this can be done using WDS. Instructions:
>
> http://www.linksysinfo.org/modules.p...showpage&pid=7
>
> If you DO want to run a cable, and don't want to deal with WDS, or
> your mystery Linksys router is not a WRT54G, then you can setup the
> 2nd router as an access point by:
> 1. Change the IP address of the 2nd router to 192.168.1.2. The idea
> is to not duplicate the IP address of the first router.
> 2. Optionally set the SSID and encryption keys to the same on both
> routers.
> 3. Ignore the WAN port. The WAN port is not used.
> 4. Turn OFF the DHCP server on the 2nd router.
> 5. Connect a cable between one LAN port on the first router, to a LAN
> port on the 2nd router. You may need a crossover cable. Make sure
> the front panel light are correct for the ports when you plug in the
> cable.


Jeff, you say "may need a crossover cable". When and when not do you need a
crossover cable for this type setup? Might one not know until inspecting the
"front panel light"?




Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 09-28-2005, 04:06 PM
Jeff Liebermann
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Using a Linksys router as an access point

On Wed, 28 Sep 2005 13:59:33 GMT, "DanR" <dhr22@sorrynospm.com> wrote:

>Jeff, you say "may need a crossover cable". When and when not do you need a
>crossover cable for this type setup?


Reading between your lines, I deduce that you do want to use a cable
to connect the two routers instead of WDS.

When going from an ethernet switch to another ethernet switch, one
*USUALLY* needs a cross-over ethernet cable. Same with going between
two computers. However, modern routers and switches all have an extra
crossover connector, an MDI/MDI-X switch, or automagic polarity
switching. I vaguely recall (not sure) that the WRT54G has automagic
polarity sensing and therefore does NOT require a crossover cable.

> Might one not know until inspecting the
>"front panel light"?


Yes. The easy way to tell for sure is to just insert an ordinary
ethernet CAT5 cable between the LAN ports on both WRT54G boxes. If
the front panel light turn on in the normal manner, you win and it
will work. If the front panel light stay off, you need a crossover
cable or adapter.

Incidentally, I sometime use this trick to test my ethernet cables.
One end of the cable goes to the crossover connector on the switch.
The other goes to any of the other jacks. If the lights come on, it's
wired correctly. Unfortunately, it doesn't check for split pairs and
flakey connections, but if I'm too lazy to dig out the cable tester,
this test will do.

I would not buy a long crossover cable. I build an adapter using a
cheap ($2) RJ45 jack, a short length of CAT5, and an RJ45 plug. The
RJ45 jack is wired for normal EIA-568B. The plug gets the creative
crossover wiring plan. With this adapter, I can take any ordinary
ethernet cable and convert it into a crossover cable.

--
Jeff Liebermann jeffl@comix.santa-cruz.ca.us
150 Felker St #D http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558

Reply With Quote
Reply


« Turning NetGear from router to access point only? | WildBlue experience? »
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
for sell 100 linksys WAP11 wireless b access point oren.w.rahat@gmail.com alt.internet.wireless 1 10-26-2006 01:28 AM
Linksys WAP54GPE access point problems Dog alt.internet.wireless 3 08-03-2006 12:33 AM
Unsing Netgear Wireless Access Point WG602 v3 with BT Voyager 220V ADSL Router ian_morgan_fluid@hotmail.com alt.internet.wireless 1 07-27-2006 03:32 PM
IPSEC wireless router ? DEMAINE Benoit-Pierre alt.internet.wireless 40 09-27-2005 08:43 AM


All times are GMT. The time now is 06:30 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45