Go Back   Wireless and Wifi Forums > News > Newsgroups > alt.internet.wireless
Register FAQ Forum Rules Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Advertise Mark Forums Read

 
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 09-23-2006, 07:45 AM
paul
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default WRT54G to wired network?


I am new to wireless and could use some advice.

I have a wired network which consists of a linux server (router) connected
to my DSL modem (via eth0)
This linux machine has a second NIC that connects to a hub where my other
wired machines get connected (via eth1) 192.168.0.0/24

My hub has one open port.
I would like to know if it is possible to connect my WRT54G to this open
port so I can use my wireless laptop through the existing setup.

I have fiddled with it quite a bit but have had no luck so far.



Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 09-23-2006, 02:53 PM
Edmund
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: WRT54G to wired network?

In message <xC5Rg.1352$2G1.290@trnddc07>, "paul" wrote:
>
> I am new to wireless and could use some advice.
>
> I have a wired network which consists of a linux server (router) connected
> to my DSL modem (via eth0)
> This linux machine has a second NIC that connects to a hub where my other
> wired machines get connected (via eth1) 192.168.0.0/24
>
> My hub has one open port.
> I would like to know if it is possible to connect my WRT54G to this open
> port so I can use my wireless laptop through the existing setup.
>
> I have fiddled with it quite a bit but have had no luck so far.


I have no experiance with hub's just routers but I
can't see why this setup wouldn't work.
Just connect your WRT54 to the hub, fire up your laptop
and access the webinterface to see what must configured.
>
>




Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 09-23-2006, 10:59 PM
Bill Kearney
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: WRT54G to wired network?

Run the wire from the 2nd NIC on the linux box into a wired port on the
router. Use one of the 4 LAN ports, NOT the WAN port. Then run a
cross-over cable from another one of the switch ports to the existing hub.
Try whatever cable you've got first and it might not require a crossover
cable. Then configure the WRT54G to act as an "access point" and turn off
DHCP. This way the WRT54 will simply act as a way for wireless devices to
connect into the existing subnet as peers on that network.


Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 09-24-2006, 01:17 AM
paul
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: WRT54G to wired network?

"Bill Kearney" <wkearney99@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:yI-dnfTpsYb3IYjYnZ2dnUVZ_qGdnZ2d@speakeasy.net...
> Run the wire from the 2nd NIC on the linux box into a wired port on the
> router. Use one of the 4 LAN ports, NOT the WAN port. Then run a
> cross-over cable from another one of the switch ports to the existing hub.
> Try whatever cable you've got first and it might not require a crossover
> cable. Then configure the WRT54G to act as an "access point" and turn off
> DHCP. This way the WRT54 will simply act as a way for wireless devices to
> connect into the existing subnet as peers on that network.



Hi Bill,

Thanks for taking the time to reply!
This is exactly the type of info I was hoping for!
Have a great day!

Paul D



Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 09-24-2006, 03:26 AM
Peter Pan
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: WRT54G to wired network?

paul wrote:
> I am new to wireless and could use some advice.
>
> I have a wired network which consists of a linux server (router)
> connected to my DSL modem (via eth0)
> This linux machine has a second NIC that connects to a hub where my
> other wired machines get connected (via eth1) 192.168.0.0/24
>
> My hub has one open port.
> I would like to know if it is possible to connect my WRT54G to this
> open port so I can use my wireless laptop through the existing setup.
>
> I have fiddled with it quite a bit but have had no luck so far.


Offhand, I would say connect the WRT54G to the laptop and set it's starting
address so it it on the same subnet (try 192.168.0.50 - the wireless part
starts at 192.168.1.100 - change that to the same subnet 192.168.0.100)..
Then you should be able to put it on the hub AFTER you have changed it's
starting ip address.. You could mess with static ip's, but I'd make it
simple and just use non conflicting ones...
One caveat, if the linux server that you call just a router is actually a
dhcp server, then you have to turn that function off on the linksys (doubful
that it is, but there is a remote possibility)



Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 09-24-2006, 04:24 AM
paul
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: WRT54G to wired network?


"Peter Pan" <PeterPanNOSPAM@AkamailNOSPAM.com> wrote in message
news:OPKdnVC-DKZ7Z4jYnZ2dnUVZ_qmdnZ2d@comcast.com...
> paul wrote:
>> I am new to wireless and could use some advice.
>>
>> I have a wired network which consists of a linux server (router)
>> connected to my DSL modem (via eth0)
>> This linux machine has a second NIC that connects to a hub where my
>> other wired machines get connected (via eth1) 192.168.0.0/24
>>
>> My hub has one open port.
>> I would like to know if it is possible to connect my WRT54G to this
>> open port so I can use my wireless laptop through the existing setup.
>>
>> I have fiddled with it quite a bit but have had no luck so far.

>
> Offhand, I would say connect the WRT54G to the laptop and set it's
> starting address so it it on the same subnet (try 192.168.0.50 - the
> wireless part starts at 192.168.1.100 - change that to the same subnet
> 192.168.0.100).. Then you should be able to put it on the hub AFTER you
> have changed it's starting ip address.. You could mess with static ip's,
> but I'd make it simple and just use non conflicting ones...
> One caveat, if the linux server that you call just a router is actually a
> dhcp server, then you have to turn that function off on the linksys
> (doubful that it is, but there is a remote possibility)


Thanks Peter!
All this info is a BIG help!



Reply With Quote
Reply


« Netgear router question | Wireless Connection Unstable »
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Don't fall victim to the 'Free Wi-Fi' scam Ablang alt.internet.wireless 6 05-19-2011 02:38 PM
Wired Network Problem Radagast33 Network Troubleshooting 3 02-20-2007 04:28 PM
Home network with wrt54g phatcenter77 Wireless Networking Discussion 0 12-27-2006 10:51 PM
Bridging a wired network with an ad-hoc wireless Kilroy01 Wireless Networking Discussion 5 08-09-2006 05:54 AM


All times are GMT. The time now is 04:17 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45