Go Back   Wireless and Wifi Forums > Cellular Communications > Australian Networks > aus.comms.mobile
Register FAQ Forum Rules Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Advertise Mark Forums Read

 
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 09-22-2007, 03:22 PM
Alan Parkington
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Australia's hottest town just got hotter - Marble Bar turns on to Telstra's Next G network

The community of Marble Bar has lobbied hard for mobile coverage over the
years, and now thanks to Telstra's Next G network they get the double whammy
of mobile coverage and broadband access.

To mark the occasion Telstra Country Wide (TCW) Area General Manager, Colin
Miles, yesterday made the town's first video call in a sweltering 40 degree
to Australia's coldest region in the NSW Alps, where TCW's Amber Mitchell
took the call at Perisher in almost freezing conditions.

Colin was able to demonstrate the Next G network's capabilities to community
members and local school children as they watched TCW staff on the other
side of the continent having a snowball fight.

"The high technology that is now in this remote town brings it firmly in
line with modern technology. To enable this to happen, Telstra had to extend
its existing network with an additional 90 kilometres of optic fibre.

"Now the community can be more readily accessible and experience fast
broadband internet as a way of communication. It was a joy to see the
children's stunned faces when they saw snow for the first time on the video
call," Colin said.

Marble Bar was tagged as Australia's hottest town when for 161 consecutive
days to 20 April 1924 the temperature in the town never dropped below 100F
(37.8C) - a fact which is still recorded by the Guinness Book of Records.



Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 09-23-2007, 01:56 AM
Will Kemp
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Australia's hottest town just got hotter - Marble Bar turns onto Telstra's Next G network

On Sat, 22 Sep 2007 14:22:58 +0000, Alan Parkington wrote:

> The community of Marble Bar has lobbied hard for mobile coverage over
> the years,


But Tel$cum completely ignored their pleas. Until now, of course, when
they've grabbed this opportunity for a political stunt. I can just see
them in the boardroom...

"What we need is to connect somewhere that's never had mobile coverage
before, and install NextG there. Drop everything and find somewhere now!
That'll show the government they can't mess with us!"

> and now thanks to Telstra's Next G network they get the
> double whammy of mobile coverage and broadband access.


"Double whammy" is dead right! The double whammy of extortionate prices
and having to deal with the worst company in Australia!

Definition of "whammy", from
http://wordnet.princeton.edu/perl/webwn?s=whammy :

"a serious or devastating setback; an evil spell"

Illiterate moron! (They accidentally managed to get it right this time
though, ey!) How much money do they pay these ****wits to write this
nonsense?

Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 09-23-2007, 06:12 AM
Paul Day
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Australia's hottest town just got hotter - Marble Bar turns on to Telstra's Next G network

On 23 Sep 2007 00:56:50 GMT Will Kemp may have written:
> But Tel$cum completely ignored their pleas. Until now, of course, when
> they've grabbed this opportunity for a political stunt. I can just see
> them in the boardroom...


What's funnier is these guys were probably one of those small country
towns that had been begging for CDMA coverage for years, were finally
getting close to having it installed and *BAM* Sol announced NextG was
coming and all future CDMA installations got canned.

PD

--
Paul Day

Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 09-23-2007, 12:40 PM
Michael
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Australia's hottest town just got hotter - Marble Bar turns on to Telstra's Next G network


"Alan Parkington" <parkingtona@team.telstra.com> wrote in message
news:6z9Ji.1060$H22.796@news-server.bigpond.net.au...
> The community of Marble Bar has lobbied hard for mobile coverage over the
> years, and now thanks to Telstra's Next G network they get the double
> whammy of mobile coverage and broadband access.


And name any other arsehole mobile carrier which would provide coverage to
Marble Bar????

You should all be grateful to Telstra

> "The high technology that is now in this remote town brings it firmly
> in line with modern technology. To enable this to happen, Telstra had to
> extend its existing network with an additional 90 kilometres of optic
> fibre.


Horribly expensive. You should all be grateful




Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 09-23-2007, 12:41 PM
Michael
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Australia's hottest town just got hotter - Marble Bar turns on to Telstra's Next G network


"Will Kemp" <Will@xxxx.Swaggie.net> wrote in message
news:46f5b9d1$0$21449$5a62ac22@per-qv1-newsreader-01.iinet.net.au...
> On Sat, 22 Sep 2007 14:22:58 +0000, Alan Parkington wrote:
>
>> The community of Marble Bar has lobbied hard for mobile coverage over
>> the years,

>
> But Tel$cum completely ignored their pleas.


Obviously not, dick.

You think that budget is unlimited? Mobile network build budget is allocated
per financial year. By July, its all allocated. Then you have to wait till
next year.

If Telstra was given $3b extra mobile network build budget next year, they'd
easily be able to spend it

>> and now thanks to Telstra's Next G network they get the
>> double whammy of mobile coverage and broadband access.

>
> "Double whammy" is dead right! The double whammy of extortionate prices
> and having to deal with the worst company in Australia!


And tell me, does marble bar have ADSL, or any other kind of broadband?



Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 09-23-2007, 01:22 PM
James Bell
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Australia's hottest town just got hotter - Marble Bar turns onto Telstra's Next G network

Michael wrote:
> If Telstra was given $3b extra mobile network build budget next year, they'd
> easily be able to spend it


Yeah, given the evidence that they lost a court appeal to hide, they'd
quite happily spend money given to them on anything BUT proper network
builds. Most likely ****wit Sol's bonus and the director slush fund.

>
>>> and now thanks to Telstra's Next G network they get the
>>> double whammy of mobile coverage and broadband access.

>> "Double whammy" is dead right! The double whammy of extortionate prices
>> and having to deal with the worst company in Australia!

>
> And tell me, does marble bar have ADSL, or any other kind of broadband?


Two-way Sat is available to anybody who wants it, ****wit. You can thank
Optus for that.

Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 09-23-2007, 04:44 PM
Kwyjibo
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Australia's hottest town just got hotter - Marble Bar turns on to Telstra's Next G network


"Michael" <michael@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:BhsJi.1368$H22.1094@news-server.bigpond.net.au...
>
> "Will Kemp" <Will@xxxx.Swaggie.net> wrote in message
> news:46f5b9d1$0$21449$5a62ac22@per-qv1-newsreader-01.iinet.net.au...
>> On Sat, 22 Sep 2007 14:22:58 +0000, Alan Parkington wrote:
>>
>>> The community of Marble Bar has lobbied hard for mobile coverage over
>>> the years,

>>
>> But Tel$cum completely ignored their pleas.

>
> Obviously not, dick.
>
> You think that budget is unlimited? Mobile network build budget is
> allocated per financial year. By July, its all allocated. Then you have to
> wait till next year.
>
> If Telstra was given $3b extra mobile network build budget next year,
> they'd easily be able to spend it
>
>>> and now thanks to Telstra's Next G network they get the
>>> double whammy of mobile coverage and broadband access.

>>
>> "Double whammy" is dead right! The double whammy of extortionate prices
>> and having to deal with the worst company in Australia!

>
> And tell me, does marble bar have ADSL, or any other kind of broadband?


Considering it's (relatively) close to Hamersley Gorge, they could have
quite easily installed a minimix and have the backbone running over
microwave up the hill.



Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 09-23-2007, 07:18 PM
Rod Speed
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Australia's hottest town just got hotter - Marble Bar turns on to Telstra's Next G network

Michael <michael@yahoo.com> wrote
> Alan Parkington <parkingtona@team.telstra.com> wrote


>> The community of Marble Bar has lobbied hard for mobile coverage
>> over the years, and now thanks to Telstra's Next G network they get
>> the double whammy of mobile coverage and broadband access.


> And name any other arsehole mobile carrier which would provide coverage to Marble Bar????


Vodafone via GlobalStar.

> You should all be grateful to Telstra


No thanks, mobile services should be part of the USO now.

>> "The high technology that is now in this remote town brings it
>> firmly in line with modern technology. To enable this to happen,
>> Telstra had to extend its existing network with an additional 90
>> kilometres of optic fibre.


> Horribly expensive.


Pig ignorant lie, and thats required for the landline services anyway.

> You should all be grateful


You should be pissed on from a great height, again.



Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 09-24-2007, 01:16 AM
Paul Day
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Australia's hottest town just got hotter - Marble Bar turns on to Telstra's Next G network

On Sun, 23 Sep 2007 11:41:21 GMT Michael may have written:
> If Telstra was given $3b extra mobile network build budget next year,
> they'd easily be able to spend it


On director's bonuses?

PD

--
Paul Day

Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 10-01-2007, 01:14 PM
Michael
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Australia's hottest town just got hotter - Marble Bar turns on to Telstra's Next G network


"James Bell" <jamesbell@tellthetruthtelstra.com.au> wrote in message
news:46f65a81$0$21390$5a62ac22@per-qv1-newsreader-01.iinet.net.au...
> Michael wrote:
>> If Telstra was given $3b extra mobile network build budget next year,
>> they'd easily be able to spend it

>
> Yeah, given the evidence that they lost a court appeal to hide, they'd
> quite happily spend money given to them on anything BUT proper network
> builds. Most likely ****wit Sol's bonus and the director slush fund.
>
>>
>>>> and now thanks to Telstra's Next G network they get the
>>>> double whammy of mobile coverage and broadband access.
>>> "Double whammy" is dead right! The double whammy of extortionate prices
>>> and having to deal with the worst company in Australia!

>>
>> And tell me, does marble bar have ADSL, or any other kind of broadband?

>
> Two-way Sat is available to anybody who wants it, ****wit. You can thank
> Optus for that.


So that shuts up all the posters who give the line of "double whammy of
extortionate prices", because they can all take an Optus MobileSat service
and be done with Telstra



Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old 10-01-2007, 01:15 PM
Michael
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Australia's hottest town just got hotter - Marble Bar turns on to Telstra's Next G network


"Kwyjibo" <kwyjibo@ozdebate.remove.com> wrote in message
news:46f689d1$0$21415$5a62ac22@per-qv1-newsreader-01.iinet.net.au...
>
> "Michael" <michael@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> news:BhsJi.1368$H22.1094@news-server.bigpond.net.au...
>>
>> "Will Kemp" <Will@xxxx.Swaggie.net> wrote in message
>> news:46f5b9d1$0$21449$5a62ac22@per-qv1-newsreader-01.iinet.net.au...
>>> On Sat, 22 Sep 2007 14:22:58 +0000, Alan Parkington wrote:
>>>
>>>> The community of Marble Bar has lobbied hard for mobile coverage over
>>>> the years,
>>>
>>> But Tel$cum completely ignored their pleas.

>>
>> Obviously not, dick.
>>
>> You think that budget is unlimited? Mobile network build budget is
>> allocated per financial year. By July, its all allocated. Then you have
>> to wait till next year.
>>
>> If Telstra was given $3b extra mobile network build budget next year,
>> they'd easily be able to spend it
>>
>>>> and now thanks to Telstra's Next G network they get the
>>>> double whammy of mobile coverage and broadband access.
>>>
>>> "Double whammy" is dead right! The double whammy of extortionate prices
>>> and having to deal with the worst company in Australia!

>>
>> And tell me, does marble bar have ADSL, or any other kind of broadband?

>
> Considering it's (relatively) close to Hamersley Gorge, they could have
> quite easily installed a minimix and have the backbone running over
> microwave up the hill.


They could, if its financially viable
>
>




Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old 10-01-2007, 01:15 PM
Michael
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Australia's hottest town just got hotter - Marble Bar turns on to Telstra's Next G network


"Rod Speed" <rod.speed.aaa@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:5lnp06F9554cU1@mid.individual.net...
> Michael <michael@yahoo.com> wrote
>> Alan Parkington <parkingtona@team.telstra.com> wrote

>
>>> The community of Marble Bar has lobbied hard for mobile coverage
>>> over the years, and now thanks to Telstra's Next G network they get
>>> the double whammy of mobile coverage and broadband access.

>
>> And name any other arsehole mobile carrier which would provide coverage
>> to Marble Bar????

>
> Vodafone via GlobalStar.


In the same vein, Telstra via Iridium

>> You should all be grateful to Telstra

>
> No thanks, mobile services should be part of the USO now.


Hahaha. Interesting thought. Voda would be out of business



Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old 10-01-2007, 09:30 PM
Rod Speed
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Australia's hottest town just got hotter - Marble Bar turns on to Telstra's Next G network

Michael <michael@yahoo.com> wrote:
> "Rod Speed" <rod.speed.aaa@gmail.com> wrote in message
> news:5lnp06F9554cU1@mid.individual.net...
>> Michael <michael@yahoo.com> wrote
>>> Alan Parkington <parkingtona@team.telstra.com> wrote

>>
>>>> The community of Marble Bar has lobbied hard for mobile coverage
>>>> over the years, and now thanks to Telstra's Next G network they get
>>>> the double whammy of mobile coverage and broadband access.

>>
>>> And name any other arsehole mobile carrier which would provide
>>> coverage to Marble Bar????

>>
>> Vodafone via GlobalStar.

>
> In the same vein, Telstra via Iridium
>
>>> You should all be grateful to Telstra

>>
>> No thanks, mobile services should be part of the USO now.

>
> Hahaha. Interesting thought. Voda would be out of business


Nope. No one would be stupid enough to claim that all mobile
carriers should be available to everyone, just that A mobile
service should be available to everyone, stupid.



Reply With Quote
Reply


« Telstra extends Next G coverage | Telstra unveils new wireless broadband »
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Don't fall victim to the 'Free Wi-Fi' scam Ablang alt.internet.wireless 6 05-19-2011 03:38 PM
Company network slowdown DanR alt.internet.wireless 27 09-23-2005 01:29 AM


All times are GMT. The time now is 05:26 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45