Go Back   Wireless and Wifi Forums > Cellular Communications > Australian Networks > aus.comms.mobile
Register FAQ Forum Rules Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Advertise Mark Forums Read

 
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 07-29-2007, 02:40 AM
Marts
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Email to Replace SMS???

Interesting article, this.

http://www.theage.com.au/news/mobile...339221496.html


I presume that it refers to overseas markets. I can't see it happening
here. We've had mobile services for a fair while now, and it's reaching or
has reached saturation point. Yet it is still very expensive, what with
timed calls at around a dollar a minute for some plans.

SMSes now cost 25 cents a pop. That's expensive no matter which way you
look at it. Also, 3G services have been around for a while and data costs
are horrendous.

I can't see the major players looking to make mobile data services
affordable to anyone other than those who require them for business
purposes in either the short or the long term.

Still, it's nice to dream, huh?

--
Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular.

Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 07-29-2007, 05:24 AM
Anthony Horan
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Email to Replace SMS???

On Sun, 29 Jul 2007 11:40:56 +1000, Marts wrote:

> I presume that it refers to overseas markets. I can't see it happening
> here. We've had mobile services for a fair while now, and it's reaching or
> has reached saturation point. Yet it is still very expensive, what with
> timed calls at around a dollar a minute for some plans.
>
> SMSes now cost 25 cents a pop. That's expensive no matter which way you
> look at it.


Both of those costs can be reduced to a fraction - 10c/min calls, 10c SMS -
by using the right prepaid service.

Since SMS costs the carriers pretty much zero to deliver and it comes with
no guarantee of actual message delivery, it could be argued that even 10
cents is too expensive, but the cheap calls mitigate that a bit.

As for the email thing - *shudder* Can you imagine what would happen then?
Suddenly the new lingo for email would be:

"greetz! r u dat grl frm da club? i lik u 2 letz hv dinr"

Really, the vocabulary and attention span of the target market are both so
limited they don't NEED email, SMS offers more then enough space to get
their point across as incoherently as possible...

Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 07-29-2007, 06:40 AM
Rod Speed
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Email to Replace SMS???

Marts <marts_57@yahoo.com.au> wrote:

> Interesting article, this.
> http://www.theage.com.au/news/mobile...339221496.html


Nope, just the usual pig ignorant journalistic ****.

> I presume that it refers to overseas markets. I can't see it happening here.


It wont happen anywhere.

> We've had mobile services for a fair while now, and it's reaching
> or has reached saturation point. Yet it is still very expensive,


No SMS aint.

> what with timed calls at around a dollar a minute for some plans.


What matters is the best prices, not the most expensive.

> SMSes now cost 25 cents a pop.


There's plenty a hell of a lot cheaper than that. In spades outside this country.

> That's expensive no matter which way you look at it.


Wrong when it conveys what you need to communicate.

> Also, 3G services have been around for a while and data costs are horrendous.


Not for SMS volumes they arent.

> I can't see the major players looking to make mobile data services
> affordable to anyone other than those who require them for
> business purposes in either the short or the long term.


There's some that offer free SMS.

> Still, it's nice to dream, huh?


No need to dream, plenty available.



Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 07-29-2007, 06:47 AM
Simon Templar
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Email to Replace SMS???

Anthony Horan wrote:
> Really, the vocabulary and attention span of the target market are both so
> limited they don't NEED email, SMS offers more then enough space to get
> their point across as incoherently as possible...


Have to agree there, the only carrier that offers reasonably cheap email
is Three. What makes it handy and they don't seem to document it, is
that emails with a High Priority generate an SMS with the senders
details and the Subject field (up to the 160 char. of course).

I will be throwing my SMS Page back up online to make use of this
feature, which has a form and generates two emails. One goes off to
Three formatted to send the SMS and another to my my home email with all
the details including IP address and other security info on where the
message originated from.

I can't really see Email taking off, it is too complicated for the
average person on a handset, takes too long to compile and then send.


--
The views I present are that of my own and NOT of any organisation I may
belong to.

73 de Simon, VK3XEM.
<http://web.acma.gov.au/pls/radcom/client_search.client_lookup?pCLIENT_NO=157452>

Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 07-30-2007, 10:43 AM
Marts
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Email to Replace SMS???

Anthony Horan wrote...


>Really, the vocabulary and attention span of the target market are both so
>limited they don't NEED email, SMS offers more then enough space to get
>their point across as incoherently as possible...


Undoubtedly. Just like the ads pushing ring tones, etc. Why $5 (and get
slugged repeatedly until you opt out) for a ringtone that you can create
from an MP3 for nix, using the right software?

--
"The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources." - Einstein

Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 07-30-2007, 11:44 PM
Kralizec Craig
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Email to Replace SMS???

Marts <marts_57@yahoo.com.au> writes:

>Interesting article, this.


>http://www.theage.com.au/news/mobile...339221496.html



>I presume that it refers to overseas markets. I can't see it happening
>here. We've had mobile services for a fair while now, and it's reaching or
>has reached saturation point. Yet it is still very expensive, what with
>timed calls at around a dollar a minute for some plans.


>SMSes now cost 25 cents a pop. That's expensive no matter which way you
>look at it. Also, 3G services have been around for a while and data costs
>are horrendous.


SMS is even more expensive when you realise that you're paying 25 cents to
transfer a pitiful 160 bytes of data! If telco's charged at that rate for
MMS messages, a typical MMS containing a bit of text and a picture file with
a total data content of about 20 KB would be costing $32 to send!

That's how blatant the SMS ripoff is!

>I can't see the major players looking to make mobile data services
>affordable to anyone other than those who require them for business
>purposes in either the short or the long term.


Even then they aren't cheap. But if someone can afford the actual cost of a
Blackberry, Nokia N-series phone, etc. then they really should not complain
about the service cost!

Craig.
--
SUN RIPENED KERNELS - Surplus Sun Microsystems Equipment, Parts + Accessories
Location: Sydney, Australia - Web: http://www.sunrk.com.au - Get back on track
at the SunShack - Web: http://www.sunshack.org - Cobalt Users mailing list
Web: http://lios.apana.org.au/mailman/listinfo/cobalt_users

Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 07-30-2007, 11:44 PM
Kralizec Craig
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Email to Replace SMS???

Marts <marts_57@yahoo.com.au> writes:

>Interesting article, this.


>http://www.theage.com.au/news/mobile...339221496.html



>I presume that it refers to overseas markets. I can't see it happening
>here. We've had mobile services for a fair while now, and it's reaching or
>has reached saturation point. Yet it is still very expensive, what with
>timed calls at around a dollar a minute for some plans.


>SMSes now cost 25 cents a pop. That's expensive no matter which way you
>look at it. Also, 3G services have been around for a while and data costs
>are horrendous.


SMS is even more expensive when you realise that you're paying 25 cents to
transfer a pitiful 160 bytes of data! If telco's charged at that rate for
MMS messages, a typical MMS containing a bit of text and a picture file with
a total data content of about 20 KB would be costing $32 to send!

That's how blatant the SMS ripoff is!

>I can't see the major players looking to make mobile data services
>affordable to anyone other than those who require them for business
>purposes in either the short or the long term.


Even then they aren't cheap. But if someone can afford the actual cost of a
Blackberry, Nokia N-series phone, etc. then they really should not complain
about the service cost!

Craig.
--
SUN RIPENED KERNELS - Surplus Sun Microsystems Equipment, Parts + Accessories
Location: Sydney, Australia - Web: http://www.sunrk.com.au - Get back on track
at the SunShack - Web: http://www.sunshack.org - Cobalt Users mailing list
Web: http://lios.apana.org.au/mailman/listinfo/cobalt_users

Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 07-31-2007, 03:24 AM
Rod Speed
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Email to Replace SMS???

Kralizec Craig <cd@lios.apana.org.au> wrote
> Marts <marts_57@yahoo.com.au> writes


>> Interesting article, this.


>> http://www.theage.com.au/news/mobile...339221496.html


>> I presume that it refers to overseas markets. I can't see it happening
>> here. We've had mobile services for a fair while now, and it's reaching
>> or has reached saturation point. Yet it is still very expensive, what with
>> timed calls at around a dollar a minute for some plans.


>> SMSes now cost 25 cents a pop. That's expensive no matter
>> which way you look at it. Also, 3G services have been around
>> for a while and data costs are horrendous.


> SMS is even more expensive when you realise that you're paying 25
> cents to transfer a pitiful 160 bytes of data! If telco's charged at
> that rate for MMS messages, a typical MMS containing a bit of text
> and a picture file with a total data content of about 20 KB would be
> costing $32 to send!


> That's how blatant the SMS ripoff is!


Mindlessly superficial. Its essentially 25c per communication
and at that rate its reasable value in many situaitons.

>> I can't see the major players looking to make mobile data services
>> affordable to anyone other than those who require them for business
>> purposes in either the short or the long term.


> Even then they aren't cheap. But if someone can afford the
> actual cost of a Blackberry, Nokia N-series phone, etc. then
> they really should not complain about the service cost!


More mindlessly superficial silly stuff.



Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 07-31-2007, 10:20 AM
Dan Anos
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Email to Replace SMS???

I think that the argument is quite obvious, as soon as Email from
mobile devices is as cheap as email from a PC,
then it will instantly replace SMS.

Dan

http://australia.freebiesms.com


On Jul 31, 3:24 am, "Rod Speed" <rod.speed....@gmail.com> wrote:
> Kralizec Craig <c...@lios.apana.org.au> wrote
>
>
>
>
>
> > Marts <marts...@yahoo.com.au> writes
> >> Interesting article, this.
> >>http://www.theage.com.au/news/mobile...s-the-days-are...
> >> I presume that it refers to overseas markets. I can't see it happening
> >> here. We've had mobile services for a fair while now, and it's reaching
> >> or has reached saturation point. Yet it is still very expensive, what with
> >> timed calls at around a dollar a minute for some plans.
> >> SMSes now cost 25 cents a pop. That's expensive no matter
> >> which way you look at it. Also, 3G services have been around
> >> for a while and data costs are horrendous.

> >SMSis even more expensive when you realise that you're paying 25
> > cents to transfer a pitiful 160 bytes of data! If telco's charged at
> > that rate for MMS messages, a typical MMS containing a bit of text
> > and a picture file with a total data content of about 20 KB would be
> > costing $32 to send!
> > That's how blatant theSMSripoff is!

>
> Mindlessly superficial. Its essentially 25c per communication
> and at that rate its reasable value in many situaitons.
>
> >> I can't see the major players looking to make mobile data services
> >> affordable to anyone other than those who require them for business
> >> purposes in either the short or the long term.

> > Even then they aren't cheap. But if someone can afford the
> > actual cost of a Blackberry, Nokia N-series phone, etc. then
> > they really should not complain about the service cost!

>
> More mindlessly superficial silly stuff.- Hide quoted text -
>
> - Show quoted text -




Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 07-31-2007, 07:36 PM
Rod Speed
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Email to Replace SMS???

Dan Anos <fiach.reid@gmail.com> wrote

> I think that the argument is quite obvious,


More fool you...

> as soon as Email from mobile devices is as cheap as
> email from a PC, then it will instantly replace SMS.


No it wont, because it isnt as convenient to email as
it is to SMS from most mobile phones, and plenty of
the low end mobile phones cant even email anyway.

And most dont compare prices like that anyway.


> Rod Speed <rod.speed....@gmail.com> wrote
>> Kralizec Craig <c...@lios.apana.org.au> wrote
>>> Marts <marts...@yahoo.com.au> writes


>>>> Interesting article, this.
>>>> http://www.theage.com.au/news/mobile...s-the-days-are...
>>>> I presume that it refers to overseas markets. I can't see it
>>>> happening here. We've had mobile services for a fair while now,
>>>> and it's reaching or has reached saturation point. Yet it is still
>>>> very expensive, what with timed calls at around a dollar a minute
>>>> for some plans.
>>>> SMSes now cost 25 cents a pop. That's expensive no matter
>>>> which way you look at it. Also, 3G services have been around
>>>> for a while and data costs are horrendous.
>>> SMSis even more expensive when you realise that you're paying 25
>>> cents to transfer a pitiful 160 bytes of data! If telco's charged at
>>> that rate for MMS messages, a typical MMS containing a bit of text
>>> and a picture file with a total data content of about 20 KB would be
>>> costing $32 to send!
>>> That's how blatant theSMSripoff is!

>>
>> Mindlessly superficial. Its essentially 25c per communication
>> and at that rate its reasable value in many situaitons.
>>
>>>> I can't see the major players looking to make mobile data services
>>>> affordable to anyone other than those who require them for business
>>>> purposes in either the short or the long term.
>>> Even then they aren't cheap. But if someone can afford the
>>> actual cost of a Blackberry, Nokia N-series phone, etc. then
>>> they really should not complain about the service cost!

>>
>> More mindlessly superficial silly stuff.




Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old 08-24-2007, 03:38 AM
Magilla
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Email to Replace SMS???


"Rod Speed" <rod.speed.aaa@gmail.com> wrote in message news:5h9dqrF3jvgv8U1@mid.individual.net...
> Dan Anos <fiach.reid@gmail.com> wrote


>> I think that the argument is quite obvious,


> More fool you...


>> as soon as Email from mobile devices is as cheap as
>> email from a PC, then it will instantly replace SMS.


> No it wont, because it isn't as convenient to email as
> it is to SMS from most mobile phones,


When I did have my mobile ( NextG ) configured and
contacts entered I found it just as easy to SMS as it
was to send e-mail. Admittedly, I was sending pics
and vids with just a title typed in but it would've been
a simple matter to add text as well.

> and plenty of the low end mobile phones cant even
> email anyway.


I agree that SMS wont be dying a sudden death any
time soon but e-mail definitely has a big future if it's
priced right ( which it currently isn't ).

> And most dont compare prices like that anyway.



--
Magilla



Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old 08-24-2007, 07:29 AM
Rod Speed
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Email to Replace SMS???

Magilla <magilla@DELETETHISstupidmonkey.org> wrote
> Rod Speed <rod.speed.aaa@gmail.com> wrote
>> Dan Anos <fiach.reid@gmail.com> wrote


>>> I think that the argument is quite obvious,


>> More fool you...


>>> as soon as Email from mobile devices is as cheap as
>>> email from a PC, then it will instantly replace SMS.


>> No it wont, because it isn't as convenient to email as it is to SMS from most mobile phones,


> When I did have my mobile ( NextG ) configured and contacts entered I found it just as easy to SMS
> as it was to send e-mail.


And the reason email wont instantly replace SMS is because not
everyone will bother to do that configuration and contact entry.

Plenty dont even bother to store phone numbers either.

> Admittedly, I was sending pics and vids with just a title typed in but it would've been a simple
> matter to add text as well.


Irrelevant to whether it will instantly replace SMS, that aint gunna happen.

>> and plenty of the low end mobile phones cant even email anyway.


> I agree that SMS wont be dying a sudden death any
> time soon but e-mail definitely has a big future if it's
> priced right ( which it currently isn't ).


Sure, but thats nothing like what he said. If he had said
what you have just said, I wouldnt have commented.

>> And most dont compare prices like that anyway.




Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old 09-10-2007, 10:24 PM
Rod Speed
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Email to Replace SMS???

Dan Anos <fiach.reid@gmail.com> wrote

> I think that the argument is quite obvious,


More fool you...

> as soon as Email from mobile devices is as cheap as
> email from a PC, then it will instantly replace SMS.


No it wont, because it isnt as convenient to email as
it is to SMS from most mobile phones, and plenty of
the low end mobile phones cant even email anyway.

And most dont compare prices like that anyway.


> Rod Speed <rod.speed....@gmail.com> wrote
>> Kralizec Craig <c...@lios.apana.org.au> wrote
>>> Marts <marts...@yahoo.com.au> writes


>>>> Interesting article, this.
>>>> http://www.theage.com.au/news/mobile...s-the-days-are...
>>>> I presume that it refers to overseas markets. I can't see it
>>>> happening here. We've had mobile services for a fair while now,
>>>> and it's reaching or has reached saturation point. Yet it is still
>>>> very expensive, what with timed calls at around a dollar a minute
>>>> for some plans.
>>>> SMSes now cost 25 cents a pop. That's expensive no matter
>>>> which way you look at it. Also, 3G services have been around
>>>> for a while and data costs are horrendous.
>>> SMSis even more expensive when you realise that you're paying 25
>>> cents to transfer a pitiful 160 bytes of data! If telco's charged at
>>> that rate for MMS messages, a typical MMS containing a bit of text
>>> and a picture file with a total data content of about 20 KB would be
>>> costing $32 to send!
>>> That's how blatant theSMSripoff is!

>>
>> Mindlessly superficial. Its essentially 25c per communication
>> and at that rate its reasable value in many situaitons.
>>
>>>> I can't see the major players looking to make mobile data services
>>>> affordable to anyone other than those who require them for business
>>>> purposes in either the short or the long term.
>>> Even then they aren't cheap. But if someone can afford the
>>> actual cost of a Blackberry, Nokia N-series phone, etc. then
>>> they really should not complain about the service cost!

>>
>> More mindlessly superficial silly stuff.




Reply With Quote
Reply


« Re: Minister's licence condition unnecessary | Telstra girds for war »
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT. The time now is 10:47 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45