Go Back   Wireless and Wifi Forums > Cellular Communications > Australian Networks > aus.comms.mobile
Register FAQ Forum Rules Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Advertise Mark Forums Read

 
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 05-30-2007, 10:45 AM
Nole Boaday
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default G9 lodges broadband plan with ACCC

Telstra couldn't give a **** about broadband (cares about growing its
fraudband market though), but others do, and they're at least trying to
do something about it.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/Business/...205328142.html

Good times ahead.

Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 05-30-2007, 11:00 AM
Simon Templar
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: G9 lodges broadband plan with ACCC

Nole Boaday wrote:
> http://www.smh.com.au/news/Business/...205328142.html


Interesting, but the a country the size of Australia with a sparse
population we need a single network. I don't give a **** who runs it or
how but multiple networks will only serve major population centres and
won't give a **** about every Australian.


--
The views I present are that of my own and NOT of any organisation I may
belong to.

73 de Simon, VK3XEM.
<http://web.acma.gov.au/pls/radcom/client_search.client_lookup?pCLIENT_NO=157452>

Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 05-30-2007, 01:18 PM
quandong nut
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: G9 lodges broadband plan with ACCC

On Wed, 30 May 2007 21:00:10 +1000, Simon Templar <usenet@vk3xem.net> wrote:

>Nole Boaday wrote:
>> http://www.smh.com.au/news/Business/...205328142.html

>
>Interesting, but the a country the size of Australia with a sparse
>population we need a single network. I don't give a **** who runs it or
>how but multiple networks will only serve major population centres and
>won't give a **** about every Australian.


A single network sounds nice in principle. But what it needs is EQUAL access
for all who wish to use it. Hellstra's spin is that they are/will_be forced to
"share" their enhanced network at unaffordable/unsustainable rates.

The solution - and it's too late now that the feds have disposed of their
majority holding - was to have Hellstra retail as just another reseller with the
same standing/access as other resellers, and the single ubiquitous network
controlled by a separate entity (eg Hellstra wholesale) who would be responsible
for maintenance/expansion ONLY i.e. no retailing. Too late for that now.

Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 05-30-2007, 09:00 PM
Rod Speed
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: G9 lodges broadband plan with ACCC

Simon Templar <usenet@vk3xem.net> wrote
> Nole Boaday wrote


>> http://www.smh.com.au/news/Business/...205328142.html


> Interesting, but the a country the size of Australia with a sparse population we need a single
> network.


No we dont. No reason why the low density areas have
to be covered using the same network as the high density
areas and that would be a criminal waste of money.

> I don't give a **** who runs it or how but multiple networks will only serve major population
> centres and won't give a **** about every Australian.


Mindless stuff. No reason why the low density areas cant use
a different network technology that suits that best at a much
lower cost than attempting something completely unaffordable
like fibre to the node or house in those areas.



Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 05-30-2007, 09:01 PM
Rod Speed
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: G9 lodges broadband plan with ACCC

quandong nut <noone@home.net> wrote:
> On Wed, 30 May 2007 21:00:10 +1000, Simon Templar <usenet@vk3xem.net>
> wrote:
>
>> Nole Boaday wrote:
>>> http://www.smh.com.au/news/Business/...205328142.html

>>
>> Interesting, but the a country the size of Australia with a sparse
>> population we need a single network. I don't give a **** who runs
>> it or how but multiple networks will only serve major population
>> centres and won't give a **** about every Australian.

>
> A single network sounds nice in principle. But what it needs is
> EQUAL access for all who wish to use it. Hellstra's spin is that
> they are/will_be forced to "share" their enhanced network at
> unaffordable/unsustainable rates.
>
> The solution - and it's too late now that the feds have disposed of
> their majority holding - was to have Hellstra retail as just another
> reseller with the same standing/access as other resellers, and the
> single ubiquitous network controlled by a separate entity (eg
> Hellstra wholesale) who would be responsible for
> maintenance/expansion ONLY i.e. no retailing. Too late for that now.


And it wouldnt work any, that provides no consumer signal to the operator
of the network, so there is no incentive to give a damn what the consumer wants.



Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 05-30-2007, 09:02 PM
Rod Speed
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: G9 lodges broadband plan with ACCC

Nole Boaday <nobody@home.net> wrote:

> Telstra couldn't give a **** about broadband (cares about growing its fraudband market though),
> but others do, and they're at least trying to do something about it.


> http://www.smh.com.au/news/Business/...205328142.html


> Good times ahead.


You dont know that yet, it could be a complete ****up like we got with the cable rollout.



Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 05-31-2007, 12:40 AM
Rod Speed
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: G9 lodges broadband plan with ACCC

Nole Boaday <nobody@home.net> wrote:

> http://www.smh.com.au/news/Business/...205328142.html


http://www.abc.net.au/reslib/200705/r147419_519850.asx



Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 05-31-2007, 05:08 AM
James Bell
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: G9 lodges broadband plan with ACCC


"Nole Boaday" <nobody@home.net> dribbled in message
news:465d54e6$0$18004$5a62ac22@per-qv1-newsreader-01.iinet.net.au...
> Telstra couldn't give a **** about broadband (cares about growing its
> fraudband market though), but others do, and they're at least trying to do
> something about it.
>



Please preface your rantings with [IMO] rather than present them as fact.

Nobody in this country is forced to use Telstra. Don't like them? Hit the
road, Jack.



Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 05-31-2007, 10:33 AM
Michael J
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: G9 lodges broadband plan with ACCC


"Rod Speed" <rod.speed.aaa@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:5c66v2F2vboscU1@mid.individual.net...
> Simon Templar <usenet@vk3xem.net> wrote
>> Nole Boaday wrote

>
>>> http://www.smh.com.au/news/Business/...205328142.html

>
>> Interesting, but the a country the size of Australia with a sparse
>> population we need a single network.

>
> No we dont. No reason why the low density areas have
> to be covered using the same network as the high density
> areas and that would be a criminal waste of money.


Agreed




Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 05-31-2007, 10:34 AM
Michael J
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: G9 lodges broadband plan with ACCC


"Rod Speed" <rod.speed.aaa@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:5c6732F2toqg4U1@mid.individual.net...
> Nole Boaday <nobody@home.net> wrote:
>
>> Telstra couldn't give a **** about broadband (cares about growing its
>> fraudband market though), but others do, and they're at least trying to
>> do something about it.

>
>> http://www.smh.com.au/news/Business/...205328142.html

>
>> Good times ahead.

>
> You dont know that yet, it could be a complete ****up like we got with the
> cable rollout.


My thoughts exactly
>
>




Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old 05-31-2007, 10:34 AM
Michael J
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: G9 lodges broadband plan with ACCC


"James Bell" <jamesbell@telstra.net> wrote in message
news:4Ls7i.6590$wH4.5827@news-server.bigpond.net.au...
>
> "Nole Boaday" <nobody@home.net> dribbled in message
> news:465d54e6$0$18004$5a62ac22@per-qv1-newsreader-01.iinet.net.au...
>> Telstra couldn't give a **** about broadband (cares about growing its
>> fraudband market though), but others do, and they're at least trying to
>> do something about it.
>>

>
>
> Please preface your rantings with [IMO] rather than present them as fact.
>
> Nobody in this country is forced to use Telstra. Don't like them? Hit the
> road, Jack.


Good stuff, James
>
>




Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old 05-31-2007, 11:10 PM
Nole Boaday
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: G9 lodges broadband plan with ACCC

James Bell wrote:
> Nobody in this country is forced to use Telstra. Don't like them? Hit the
> road, Jack.


Nobody is forced to breath either. Please lead by example, ****wit.

Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old 05-31-2007, 11:11 PM
Nole Boaday
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: G9 lodges broadband plan with ACCC

Michael J wrote:
> Good stuff, James


Good stuff, Michael.

Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old 06-01-2007, 12:34 PM
alxr
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: G9 lodges broadband plan with ACCC

"James Bell" <jamesbell@telstra.net> wrote in message
news:4Ls7i.6590$wH4.5827@news-server.bigpond.net.au...
>
> "Nole Boaday" <nobody@home.net> dribbled in message
> news:465d54e6$0$18004$5a62ac22@per-qv1-newsreader-01.iinet.net.au...
>> Telstra couldn't give a **** about broadband (cares about growing its
>> fraudband market though), but others do, and they're at least trying to
>> do something about it.
>>

>


James spouted forth with:-
> Please preface your rantings with [IMO] rather than present them as fact.
>


Editorial note:- The following should be prefaced with [IMO]

> Nobody in this country is forced to use Telstra. Don't like them? Hit the
> road, Jack.
>


Last time I checked, I had no choice.



Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old 06-02-2007, 09:58 AM
James Bell
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: G9 lodges broadband plan with ACCC


"alxr" <a.a@c.d> dribbled in message
news:znU7i.7442$wH4.1637@news-server.bigpond.net.au...
>
>> Nobody in this country is forced to use Telstra. Don't like them? Hit
>> the road, Jack.
>>

>
> Last time I checked, I had no choice.
>


We have had this discussion already. Do try and keep up, dear.



Reply With Quote
  #16 (permalink)  
Old 06-02-2007, 01:46 PM
mattic
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: G9 lodges broadband plan with ACCC


"Nole Boaday" <nobody@home.net> wrote in message
news:465d54e6$0$18004$5a62ac22@per-qv1-newsreader-01.iinet.net.au...
> Telstra couldn't give a **** about broadband (cares about growing its
> fraudband market though), but others do, and they're at least trying to do
> something about it.
>
> http://www.smh.com.au/news/Business/...205328142.html
>
> Good times ahead.


$3.6bn? Spent on bringing people who already have broadband access, another
choice? What a dreadful waste of national wealth.
I thought the Broadband Connect money was for extending broadband to those
who don't have it at all.
This is **** news for the bush. Spend the money on EXTENDING the network,
not duplicating it.



Reply With Quote
  #17 (permalink)  
Old 06-03-2007, 01:46 AM
Nole Boaday
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: G9 lodges broadband plan with ACCC

James Bell wrote:
> We have had this discussion already. Do try and keep up, dear.


Enlighten everyone with a breakdown of this past discussion.

Reply With Quote
  #18 (permalink)  
Old 06-03-2007, 03:07 AM
James Bell
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: G9 lodges broadband plan with ACCC


"Nole Boaday" <nobody@home.net> lied in message
news:46621cc0$0$22441$5a62ac22@per-qv1-newsreader-01.iinet.net.au...
>
> Enlighten everyone with a breakdown of this past discussion.


UTFSE



Reply With Quote
  #19 (permalink)  
Old 06-03-2007, 06:45 AM
Nole Boaday
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: G9 lodges broadband plan with ACCC

James Bell wrote:
> "Nole Boaday" <nobody@home.net> lied in message
> news:46621cc0$0$22441$5a62ac22@per-qv1-newsreader-01.iinet.net.au...
>> Enlighten everyone with a breakdown of this past discussion.

>
> UTFSE


URL?

Reply With Quote
  #20 (permalink)  
Old 06-03-2007, 10:42 AM
Two Bob
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: G9 lodges broadband plan with ACCC

> James Bell wrote:
>> We have had this discussion already. Do try and keep up, dear.

>
> Enlighten everyone with a breakdown of this past discussion.


He wouldnt have a clue, dear!




Reply With Quote
  #21 (permalink)  
Old 06-04-2007, 06:01 AM
James Bell
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: G9 lodges broadband plan with ACCC


"Two Bob" <dept9@iprimus.com.au> wrote in message
news:46629bde$1_1@news.iprimus.com.au...
>> James Bell wrote:
>>> We have had this discussion already. Do try and keep up, dear.

>>
>> Enlighten everyone with a breakdown of this past discussion.



In threads on these forums, recently even Roddles Speed and Anthony Whore-An
admitted that alternatives can be found to Telstra.. ergo Telstra is not a
monopoly.



Reply With Quote
  #22 (permalink)  
Old 06-04-2007, 10:12 AM
Michael J
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: G9 lodges broadband plan with ACCC


"alxr" <a.a@c.d> wrote in message
news:znU7i.7442$wH4.1637@news-server.bigpond.net.au...
> "James Bell" <jamesbell@telstra.net> wrote in message
> news:4Ls7i.6590$wH4.5827@news-server.bigpond.net.au...
>>
>> "Nole Boaday" <nobody@home.net> dribbled in message
>> news:465d54e6$0$18004$5a62ac22@per-qv1-newsreader-01.iinet.net.au...
>>> Telstra couldn't give a **** about broadband (cares about growing its
>>> fraudband market though), but others do, and they're at least trying to
>>> do something about it.
>>>

>>

>
> James spouted forth with:-
>> Please preface your rantings with [IMO] rather than present them as fact.
>>

>
> Editorial note:- The following should be prefaced with [IMO]
>
>> Nobody in this country is forced to use Telstra. Don't like them? Hit
>> the road, Jack.
>>

>
> Last time I checked, I had no choice.


Really?
No choice for landline?
No choice for broadband?
No satellite coverage?
>
>




Reply With Quote
  #23 (permalink)  
Old 06-04-2007, 10:12 AM
Michael J
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: G9 lodges broadband plan with ACCC


"mattic" <this@wontwork.com> wrote in message
news:Lwe8i.7810$wH4.4668@news-server.bigpond.net.au...
>
> "Nole Boaday" <nobody@home.net> wrote in message
> news:465d54e6$0$18004$5a62ac22@per-qv1-newsreader-01.iinet.net.au...
>> Telstra couldn't give a **** about broadband (cares about growing its
>> fraudband market though), but others do, and they're at least trying to
>> do something about it.
>>
>> http://www.smh.com.au/news/Business/...205328142.html
>>
>> Good times ahead.

>
> $3.6bn? Spent on bringing people who already have broadband access,
> another choice? What a dreadful waste of national wealth.
> I thought the Broadband Connect money was for extending broadband to those
> who don't have it at all.
> This is **** news for the bush. Spend the money on EXTENDING the network,
> not duplicating it.


Nope, **** the bush

You people can have the crumbs. If we want.
>
>




Reply With Quote
  #24 (permalink)  
Old 06-04-2007, 10:35 AM
Kwyjibo
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: G9 lodges broadband plan with ACCC


"Michael J" <michael@yahoo.com> wrote in message
newsAR8i.8644$wH4.3668@news-server.bigpond.net.au...

> **** the bush
>


I prefer them cleanly waxed.

--
Kwyj.



Reply With Quote
  #25 (permalink)  
Old 06-06-2007, 09:36 PM
Michael J
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: G9 lodges broadband plan with ACCC


"Kwyjibo" <kwyjibo@removeozdebate.com> wrote in message
news:4663eaac$0$22417$5a62ac22@per-qv1-newsreader-01.iinet.net.au...
>
> "Michael J" <michael@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> newsAR8i.8644$wH4.3668@news-server.bigpond.net.au...
>
>> **** the bush
>>

>
> I prefer them cleanly waxed.


I agree ;-)

>
> --
> Kwyj.
>




Reply With Quote
Reply


« Looking for a Life Partner | Virgin Mobile "exposed customer details" »
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT. The time now is 08:38 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45