Go Back   Wireless and Wifi Forums > Cellular Communications > Australian Networks > aus.comms.mobile
Register FAQ Forum Rules Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Advertise Mark Forums Read

 
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 06-14-2007, 05:22 AM
Will@xxxx.Swaggie.net
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Optus CDMA phone on Telstra account?

Is it possible to connect an Optus CDMA phone on a Telstra account? I
know Telstra won't allow Orange phones, but i don't remember ever
seeing anything about Optus ones, as Optus uses the Telstra network
anyway...

Will


Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 06-14-2007, 10:52 AM
Graeme Willox
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Optus CDMA phone on Telstra account?

Will@xxxx.Swaggie.net wrote:
> Is it possible to connect an Optus CDMA phone on a Telstra account? I
> know Telstra won't allow Orange phones, but i don't remember ever
> seeing anything about Optus ones, as Optus uses the Telstra network
> anyway...
>
> Will
>


Prior to the Next G network starting you could have because as you say,
Optus CDMA was just Telstra CDMA resold. I'm not sure if Telstra are
allowing new CDMA connections any more. If you are in an area where
it's identified that there is no Next G coverage, but there is Telstra
CDMA, you might be in luck, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

As far as Orange CDMA phones was concerned, even then it wasn't clear
cut. Orange sold CDMA phones configured for their network as the home
network in Sydney and Melbourne. In Brisbane at least, they also sold
CDMA phones configured to have Telstra as the home network.

Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 06-16-2007, 05:32 AM
Will@xxxx.Swaggie.net
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Optus CDMA phone on Telstra account?

On Jun 14, 8:52 pm, Graeme Willox <graemewil...@aapt.net.au> wrote:

> Prior to the Next G network starting you could have because as you say,
> Optus CDMA was just Telstra CDMA resold. I'm not sure if Telstra are
> allowing new CDMA connections any more. If you are in an area where
> it's identified that there is no Next G coverage, but there is Telstra
> CDMA, you might be in luck, but I wouldn't hold my breath.


Yeah, thanks.

Where i'm going to be living (Maningrida, NT) there was no NextG -
until now, that is. Apparently, they're testing it there at the moment
and it should stay up afterwards. So it's probably not an issue any
more.

Will


Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 06-17-2007, 12:00 AM
Michael J
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Optus CDMA phone on Telstra account?


"Will@xxxx.Swaggie.net" <will2478@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:1181798539.673004.242950@a26g2000pre.googlegr oups.com...
> Is it possible to connect an Optus CDMA phone on a Telstra account? I
> know Telstra won't allow Orange phones, but i don't remember ever
> seeing anything about Optus ones, as Optus uses the Telstra network
> anyway...


You can ESn change to an optus one, but no new connections

>
> Will
>




Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 06-17-2007, 03:14 AM
Paul Day
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Optus CDMA phone on Telstra account?

On Thu, 14 Jun 2007 20:52:00 +1000 Graeme Willox may have written:
> As far as Orange CDMA phones was concerned, even then it wasn't clear
> cut. Orange sold CDMA phones configured for their network as the home
> network in Sydney and Melbourne. In Brisbane at least, they also sold
> CDMA phones configured to have Telstra as the home network.


Roaming != Home

In my experience, Telstra CSR's CDMA interface (and presumably more
behind it) refused to accept an Orange ESN - even after reconfiguring
the phone to act as a Telstra CDMA handset.

PD

--
Paul Day
Web: http://www.enigma.id.au/

Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 06-17-2007, 11:14 AM
Graeme Willox
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Optus CDMA phone on Telstra account?

Paul Day wrote:
> On Thu, 14 Jun 2007 20:52:00 +1000 Graeme Willox may have written:
>> As far as Orange CDMA phones was concerned, even then it wasn't clear
>> cut. Orange sold CDMA phones configured for their network as the home
>> network in Sydney and Melbourne. In Brisbane at least, they also sold
>> CDMA phones configured to have Telstra as the home network.

>
> Roaming != Home
>
> In my experience, Telstra CSR's CDMA interface (and presumably more
> behind it) refused to accept an Orange ESN - even after reconfiguring
> the phone to act as a Telstra CDMA handset.
>
> PD
>


These were definately Telstra services resold though. We got them at
work as new services before MNP and porting (or whatever it was that
Telstra used to call it when you moved between Telstra GSM and Telstra
CDMA and vice versa.)

They all had 0428 prefixes straight from new, which by default is within
the Telstra number range.

Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 06-18-2007, 01:14 PM
bhemmings@gmail.com
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Optus CDMA phone on Telstra account?

I connected my CDMA handset to Southern Cross Mobile the other day, it
was originally on CDMA then they upgraded to Telstra GSM but allowed
me to go back so perhaps give them a try.


Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 06-24-2007, 12:25 AM
Joel
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Optus CDMA phone on Telstra account?

Southern Cross only allow new CDMA connections for existing customers with a
current operating service. No CDMA connections for new customers.

If you know someone that has a current mobile account with Southern Cross,
activate the service on their account and then do a change of ownership to a
new account in your name. May just work,did for me.


<bhemmings@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:1182172455.638152.276030@n15g2000prd.googlegr oups.com...
>I connected my CDMA handset to Southern Cross Mobile the other day, it
> was originally on CDMA then they upgraded to Telstra GSM but allowed
> me to go back so perhaps give them a try.
>




Reply With Quote
Reply


« Pagers - where to purchase | Stolen phones »
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
180$ Telstra mobile closing my CDMA account,Telstranot prepared to give me back the $180? gnh888@gmail.com aus.comms.mobile 11 05-03-2007 11:30 AM
Crook Telstra Australia forcing illegaly CDMA customers from Prepay to Plan on 23 April 2007 gnh888@gmail.com aus.comms.mobile 24 04-22-2007 10:36 AM
Crook Telstra Australia forcing illegaly CDMA customers from Prepay to Plan on 23 April 2007 gnh888@gmail.com aus.comms.mobile 3 04-18-2007 02:29 AM
is this true? "Cell Phone Tricks" Joe alt.cellular.nokia 12 03-28-2007 10:28 AM
Myopic Economist article: Skype and "How the internet killed the phone business" Valiant uk.telecom.voip 5 09-16-2005 04:11 PM


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:55 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45