Go Back   Wireless and Wifi Forums > Cellular Communications > Australian Networks > aus.comms.mobile
Register FAQ Forum Rules Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Advertise Mark Forums Read

 
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 06-10-2007, 12:12 AM
Peelah Ben Arhna
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Roaming from Thailand - Problems with Optus or something

My sister's currently honeymooning in Thailand. She took her phone with
her. She can send and receive SMSes but cannot place any voice calls to
Australia. She can receive them, though.

Just wondering if there's something specific that needs to be done, or
whether it's an Optus Network issue, or what. Or whether it's related to
the Thai networks that she is using, or trying to use.

Oh, I tried to call her via VOIP (Mynetfone) but it didn't work. Had to
call via the Telstra landline or use my mobile.



--
"The world is more like it is now then it ever has before." - Eisenhower

Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 06-10-2007, 04:12 AM
Lone Wolf
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Roaming from Thailand - Problems with Optus or something

On Sun, 10 Jun 2007 10:12:02 +1000, Peelah Ben Arhna
<benarhna@yahoo.com.au> wrote:

>Just wondering if there's something specific that needs to be done, or
>whether it's an Optus Network issue, or what. Or whether it's related to
>the Thai networks that she is using, or trying to use.


Does she have global roaming enabled?

I have an Optus sim card, no issues at all with the four Thai GSM
networks (Orange, DTAC, AIS and GSM 1800).

Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 06-11-2007, 05:29 AM
Michael J
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Roaming from Thailand - Problems with Optus or something


"Peelah Ben Arhna" <benarhna@yahoo.com.au> wrote in message
news:466b42f4.000042eb.bm000@yahoo.com.au...
> My sister's currently honeymooning in Thailand. She took her phone with
> her. She can send and receive SMSes but cannot place any voice calls to
> Australia. She can receive them, though.


How is she trying to dial out?

Is she using +61xxxxxxxx?

Friend of mine had that problem in Hawaii until he used their exit code, 011
or whatever it is




Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 06-11-2007, 05:30 AM
Michael J
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Roaming from Thailand - Problems with Optus or something


"Lone Wolf" <flatulantdingo@deadspam.com> wrote in message
news:afum631l8h4snqmum0gkealbgtramqb9am@4ax.com...
> On Sun, 10 Jun 2007 10:12:02 +1000, Peelah Ben Arhna
> <benarhna@yahoo.com.au> wrote:
>
>>Just wondering if there's something specific that needs to be done, or
>>whether it's an Optus Network issue, or what. Or whether it's related to
>>the Thai networks that she is using, or trying to use.

>
> Does she have global roaming enabled?


She wouldnt be able to log on OR send SMS without introam.



Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 06-11-2007, 11:18 AM
Lone Wolf
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Roaming from Thailand - Problems with Optus or something

On Mon, 11 Jun 2007 05:29:46 GMT, "Michael J" <michael@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Friend of mine had that problem in Hawaii until he used their exit code, 011
>or whatever it is


All you need is the "+"; international access code.

Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 06-11-2007, 11:18 AM
Lone Wolf
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Roaming from Thailand - Problems with Optus or something

On Mon, 11 Jun 2007 05:30:04 GMT, "Michael J" <michael@yahoo.com> wrote:

>She wouldnt be able to log on OR send SMS without introam.


Actually the networks in Thailand, with the exception of Orange, all
seem to use very old firmware. Quite often the sim card will register
"no network" and later will again sign on.

Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 06-11-2007, 11:23 AM
Lone Wolf
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Roaming from Thailand - Problems with Optus or something

On Mon, 11 Jun 2007 05:30:04 GMT, "Michael J" <michael@yahoo.com> wrote:

>> Does she have global roaming enabled?

>
>She wouldnt be able to log on OR send SMS without introam.


Forgot to mention; there is a price war in Thailand, and the networks
are frequently congested.

AIS is offering calls for 1 Baht, about 4 cents in real money, and
unlimited at that.
>


Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 06-12-2007, 03:44 AM
Simon Templar
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Roaming from Thailand - Problems with Optus or something

Lone Wolf wrote:
> On Mon, 11 Jun 2007 05:29:46 GMT, "Michael J" <michael@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> Friend of mine had that problem in Hawaii until he used their exit code, 011
>> or whatever it is

>
> All you need is the "+"; international access code.


That's all you should need in any country, the + tells the local network
that you wish to place an international call, then provided you have the
country code and the rest of the number it should dial from anywhere in
the world provided you have international roaming active and there is an
agreement with the appropriate carriers.


--
The views I present are that of my own and NOT of any organisation I may
belong to.

73 de Simon, VK3XEM.
<http://web.acma.gov.au/pls/radcom/client_search.client_lookup?pCLIENT_NO=157452>

Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 06-12-2007, 11:41 AM
Peelah Ben Arhna
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Roaming from Thailand - Problems with Optus or something

Lone Wolf said....

> Does she have global roaming enabled?


Presumably. If romaing isn't enabled, would she be able to send and
receive SMSes?

> I have an Optus sim card, no issues at all with the four Thai GSM
> networks (Orange, DTAC, AIS and GSM 1800).


Orange wasn't listed in the available networks.

THGSM
GSM1800
THTrue
DTAC

are the only ones that she has listed.


--
"The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources." - Einstein

Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 06-12-2007, 11:43 AM
Peelah Ben Arhna
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Roaming from Thailand - Problems with Optus or something

Michael J said....

> How is she trying to dial out?
>
> Is she using +61xxxxxxxx?


Apparently she's tried all possible combos that are available to her.
But what has us tossed is that she can send and receieve SMSes, but not
make voice calls.



--
A successful man is one who makes more money than his wife can spend.

Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old 06-13-2007, 07:43 AM
Michael J
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Roaming from Thailand - Problems with Optus or something


"Lone Wolf" <flatulantdingo@deadspam.com> wrote in message
news:3lbq63lfuuitsg8hpfasou2ob3e8gf9gng@4ax.com...
> On Mon, 11 Jun 2007 05:30:04 GMT, "Michael J" <michael@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>>She wouldnt be able to log on OR send SMS without introam.

>
> Actually the networks in Thailand, with the exception of Orange, all
> seem to use very old firmware. Quite often the sim card will register
> "no network" and later will again sign on.


Thats a local network issue.

When you log on overseas, a connection is made to your VLR/HLR in your home
country. Postive result = you get to log onto the local net.
Negative or no result = no access

Without introam product, you cannot log on



Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old 06-13-2007, 07:44 AM
Michael J
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Roaming from Thailand - Problems with Optus or something


"Lone Wolf" <flatulantdingo@deadspam.com> wrote in message
newsjbq63hjnpcdibqsccsealg08akok14s11@4ax.com...
> On Mon, 11 Jun 2007 05:29:46 GMT, "Michael J" <michael@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>>Friend of mine had that problem in Hawaii until he used their exit code,
>>011
>>or whatever it is

>
> All you need is the "+"; international access code.


Nope, in fact that WAS the problem, I told him to use +61 and none of the
calls worked. Even returning a call from an SMS did not work.

When he changed it to 011, it worked

Stupid yanks.



Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old 06-13-2007, 07:44 AM
Michael J
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Roaming from Thailand - Problems with Optus or something


"Simon Templar" <usenet@vk3xem.net> wrote in message
news:5d6j5gF33mdeeU1@mid.individual.net...
> Lone Wolf wrote:
>> On Mon, 11 Jun 2007 05:29:46 GMT, "Michael J" <michael@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Friend of mine had that problem in Hawaii until he used their exit code,
>>> 011 or whatever it is

>>
>> All you need is the "+"; international access code.

>
> That's all you should need in any country, the + tells the local network
> that you wish to place an international call, then provided you have the
> country code and the rest of the number it should dial from anywhere in
> the world provided you have international roaming active and there is an
> agreement with the appropriate carriers.


Except it didnt work in Hawaii.
>
>
> --
> The views I present are that of my own and NOT of any organisation I may
> belong to.
>
> 73 de Simon, VK3XEM.
> <http://web.acma.gov.au/pls/radcom/client_search.client_lookup?pCLIENT_NO=157452>




Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old 06-13-2007, 07:15 PM
Simon Templar
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Roaming from Thailand - Problems with Optus or something

Michael J wrote:
> Except it didnt work in Hawaii.


Hawaii = US. Maybe your GSM900 handset couldn't lock onto a GSM850 network.


--
The views I present are that of my own and NOT of any organisation I may
belong to.

73 de Simon, VK3XEM.
<http://web.acma.gov.au/pls/radcom/client_search.client_lookup?pCLIENT_NO=157452>

Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old 06-14-2007, 03:13 PM
Lone Wolf
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Roaming from Thailand - Problems with Optus or something

On Tue, 12 Jun 2007 21:41:57 +1000, Peelah Ben Arhna
<benarhna@yahoo.com.au> wrote:

>THTrue


Was previously Orange, sorry.

Reply With Quote
  #16 (permalink)  
Old 06-14-2007, 03:13 PM
Lone Wolf
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Roaming from Thailand - Problems with Optus or something


On Wed, 13 Jun 2007 07:44:34 GMT, "Michael J" <michael@yahoo.com> wrote:

>> That's all you should need in any country, the + tells the local network
>> that you wish to place an international call, then provided you have the
>> country code and the rest of the number it should dial from anywhere in
>> the world provided you have international roaming active and there is an
>> agreement with the appropriate carriers.

>
>Except it didnt work in Hawaii.


Works in mainland USA, so no real reason it would not work in Hawaii?

Or is the recognition of the "+" set by the network?

Reply With Quote
  #17 (permalink)  
Old 06-15-2007, 07:58 AM
Joel Grealy
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Roaming from Thailand - Problems with Optus or something

Can they call within the country, if so then the service has international
call barring preventing calls outside the country they are in. They need to
call their service provider and check the call barring settings.



"Peelah Ben Arhna" <benarhna@yahoo.com.au> wrote in message
news:466e87ff.00004e8e.bm001@yahoo.com.au...
> Michael J said....
>
>> How is she trying to dial out?
>>
>> Is she using +61xxxxxxxx?

>
> Apparently she's tried all possible combos that are available to her.
> But what has us tossed is that she can send and receieve SMSes, but not
> make voice calls.
>
>
>
> --
> A successful man is one who makes more money than his wife can spend.




Reply With Quote
  #18 (permalink)  
Old 06-17-2007, 12:01 AM
Michael J
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Roaming from Thailand - Problems with Optus or something


"Simon Templar" <usenet@vk3xem.net> wrote in message
news:5dau28F33n5jhU2@mid.individual.net...
> Michael J wrote:
>> Except it didnt work in Hawaii.

>
> Hawaii = US. Maybe your GSM900 handset couldn't lock onto a GSM850
> network.


You arent very attentive, are you Simon?

They use GSM 1900 in Hawaii.

And if you read the thread, you would see that he could, receive calls,
receive SMS, and send SMS.

Bit hard to do that with a GSM 1900 phone if all there is, is a GSM 850
network?

>
>
> --
> The views I present are that of my own and NOT of any organisation I may
> belong to.
>
> 73 de Simon, VK3XEM.
> <http://web.acma.gov.au/pls/radcom/client_search.client_lookup?pCLIENT_NO=157452>




Reply With Quote
  #19 (permalink)  
Old 06-17-2007, 12:02 AM
Michael J
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Roaming from Thailand - Problems with Optus or something


"Joel Grealy" <jgrealy@tpg.com.au> wrote in message
news:46724694$1@dnews.tpgi.com.au...
> Can they call within the country, if so then the service has international
> call barring preventing calls outside the country they are in. They need
> to call their service provider and check the call barring settings.


Dont know if he tried dialling within the country, once he used 011 outgoing
access code all was fine

>
>
>
> "Peelah Ben Arhna" <benarhna@yahoo.com.au> wrote in message
> news:466e87ff.00004e8e.bm001@yahoo.com.au...
>> Michael J said....
>>
>>> How is she trying to dial out?
>>>
>>> Is she using +61xxxxxxxx?

>>
>> Apparently she's tried all possible combos that are available to her.
>> But what has us tossed is that she can send and receieve SMSes, but not
>> make voice calls.
>>
>>
>>
>> --
>> A successful man is one who makes more money than his wife can spend.

>
>




Reply With Quote
  #20 (permalink)  
Old 06-17-2007, 01:56 AM
Peelah Ben Arhna
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Roaming from Thailand - Problems with Optus or something

Joel Grealy said....

> Can they call within the country, if so then the service has
> international call barring preventing calls outside the country they are
> in. They need to call their service provider and check the call barring
> settings.


Dunno.

Will ask when they get home.



--
First things first, but not necessarily in that order.

Reply With Quote
  #21 (permalink)  
Old 06-18-2007, 10:48 AM
Michael J
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Roaming from Thailand - Problems with Optus or something


"Peelah Ben Arhna" <benarhna@yahoo.com.au> wrote in message
news:4674a2c4.00002da7.bm000@yahoo.com.au...
> Joel Grealy said....
>
>> Can they call within the country, if so then the service has
>> international call barring preventing calls outside the country they are
>> in. They need to call their service provider and check the call barring
>> settings.

>
> Dunno.
>
> Will ask when they get home.


slightly defeats the purpose ;-)

>
>
>
> --
> First things first, but not necessarily in that order.




Reply With Quote
  #22 (permalink)  
Old 06-18-2007, 11:16 PM
Peelah Ben Arhna
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Roaming from Thailand - Problems with Optus or something

Michael J said....

>> Dunno.
>>
>> Will ask when they get home.

>
> slightly defeats the purpose ;-)


At this point in time it doesn't really matter. They'll be home on
Friday. She's gone this long now without it, another coupla daze won't
matter.

I s'pose that the point of the story is that instead of relying on
roaming internationally, if you really need to carry a mobile whilst on
holidays (business trips are the exception), then simply get a cheap
pre-paid while visiting that country.

It'll be a cheaper exercise for starters, and you'll know that your
pre-paid will actually work. AND the costs of international calls to you
will be borne by the caller, not you as is the case with roaming.



--
"It is easier to fight for one's principles than to live up to them."

Reply With Quote
  #23 (permalink)  
Old 06-22-2007, 08:48 AM
Michael J
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Roaming from Thailand - Problems with Optus or something

> I s'pose that the point of the story is that instead of relying on
> roaming internationally, if you really need to carry a mobile whilst on
> holidays (business trips are the exception), then simply get a cheap
> pre-paid while visiting that country.


No, just get your **** into gear before your go.

And if your carrier is too stupid to set up IntRoam, go to another one



Reply With Quote
Reply


« G9 Pricing - A Con | Supertooth v12 - Lost documentation and papwerork »
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
3G Wireless data - Vodafone versus Optus ozgreenwich Australian Networks 8 12-22-2011 07:52 AM
Proper data and roaming in Ireland plans - the rundown Mehdi uk.telecom.mobile 0 05-30-2007 10:48 AM
Looking for a UK operator with decent data and roaming charges in the Republic of Ireland Mehdi uk.telecom.mobile 11 05-23-2007 08:17 AM
AC1 Roaming charges...Anyone remember the per-minute charge? SMS alt.cellular.verizon 3 12-24-2006 03:41 PM


All times are GMT. The time now is 07:56 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45