Go Back   Wireless and Wifi Forums > Cellular Communications > Australian Networks > aus.comms.mobile
Register FAQ Forum Rules Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Advertise Mark Forums Read

 
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 10-03-2007, 03:31 PM
thegoons
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Senator The Honourable Helen Coonan gives Dishonourable Trujillo and McGauchie the one-fingered salute

http://www.smh.com.au/news/business/...091194035.html



--
Posted via a free Usenet account from http://www.teranews.com


Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 10-03-2007, 09:03 PM
Will Kemp
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Senator The Honourable Helen Coonan gives DishonourableTrujillo and McGauchie the one-fingered salute

On Thu, 04 Oct 2007 01:31:20 +1000, thegoons wrote:

> http://www.smh.com.au/news/business/ultimatum-to-

telstra/2007/10/03/1191091194035.html

Shut Sol up, ultimatum to Telstra

Matt O'Sullivan
October 4, 2007

THE Communications Minister, Helen Coonan, has demanded that Telstra's
board rein in its American executives, including boss Sol Trujillo,
fearing the company's political campaigning against regulation will hurt
it in the federal election.

In a fresh sign of the Government's concern over a sensitive election
issue, Senator Coonan warned yesterday that consumers would punish the
company if it continues to campaign in marginal electorates.

Her inflammatory comments come as the relationship between the two
plumbed new lows this week after Telstra began mailing letters to its 1.6
million shareholders attacking the Government's stance on regulation of
telecommunications.

"They can target marginal seats at their peril because they are losing
customers and they are losing the confidence of regional and rural
Australia," Senator Coonan told the Herald yesterday.

She claimed that corporate Australia was "agog" at the unprecedented
campaigning by a blue-chip company against a government. Telstra's
strategy has included calls for shareholders to lobby their local MPs and
to ring talkback radio.

"If the board of Telstra had any ability to control the management, they
should be taking a strong stand here and reining them in and explaining
to them that Telstra has a business to run," she said.

"It's a shame that the chairman and the board of a major Australian
corporation are prepared to lend their names and reputation to this kind
of political campaign."

Last night Telstra made clear it would not back down from campaigning on
regulation.

"While Telstra seeks a public discussion of the virtues of broadband, the
minister has made claims, many of them personal in nature, and many of
them unsupported - or contradicted - by the facts," Telstra's spokesman,
Andrew Maiden, said.

"Telstra does not seek special treatment. We simply seek rules that
support investment in Australia's broadband future."

Telstra has taken legal action in the Federal Court against Senator
Coonan twice in the last two months. Earlier this year the company also
launched a constitutional challenge in the High Court against the
competition regulator's powers to set prices for access to its copper-
wire network.

The legal action and broader political campaign by a company ahead of an
election has no precedent in Australian history.

Senator Coonan has not spoken to Mr Trujillo since June, when the
Government handed almost $1 billion to an Optus-led consortium to improve
broadband services in the bush.

When asked whether Telstra's campaign could be harmful for a government
in election mode, Senator Coonan said: "Obviously that's a matter that we
wouldn't discount and that's one of the reasons why it's so reprehensible
that Telstra is prepared to play the political game. In the end, I think
they will be punished for it."

She said Telstra could not claim any gains for its shareholders from the
relentless campaigning against telecommunications regulation. Instead, by
"embarking on this capital strike", the company risked missing out on
commercial opportunities.

Senator Coonan has also hit back in recent days by raising the spectre of
splitting Telstra.

Telstra has said it would fight in the courts any attempt to force a
split of the company.

Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 10-03-2007, 09:14 PM
Will Kemp
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Senator The Honourable Helen Coonan gives DishonourableTrujillo and McGauchie the one-fingered salute

On Wed, 03 Oct 2007 21:03:10 +0000, Will Kemp wrote:

> On Thu, 04 Oct 2007 01:31:20 +1000, thegoons wrote:
>
>> http://www.smh.com.au/news/business/ultimatum-to-

> telstra/2007/10/03/1191091194035.html
>
> Shut Sol up, ultimatum to Telstra
>
> Matt O'Sullivan
> October 4, 2007
>
> THE Communications Minister, Helen Coonan, has demanded that Telstra's
> board rein in its American executives, including boss Sol Trujillo,
> fearing the company's political campaigning against regulation will hurt
> it in the federal election.


It will hurt tel$cum more!

> In a fresh sign of the Government's concern over a sensitive election
> issue, Senator Coonan warned yesterday that consumers would punish the
> company if it continues to campaign in marginal electorates.
>
> Her inflammatory comments come as the relationship between the two
> plumbed new lows this week after Telstra began mailing letters to its
> 1.6 million shareholders attacking the Government's stance on regulation
> of telecommunications.
>
> "They can target marginal seats at their peril because they are losing
> customers and they are losing the confidence of regional and rural
> Australia," Senator Coonan told the Herald yesterday.
>
> She claimed that corporate Australia was "agog" at the unprecedented
> campaigning by a blue-chip company against a government. Telstra's
> strategy has included calls for shareholders to lobby their local MPs
> and to ring talkback radio.


Everybody with a clue's agog at the seppos' incredible stupidity.

> "If the board of Telstra had any ability to control the management, they
> should be taking a strong stand here and reining them in and explaining
> to them that Telstra has a business to run," she said.
>
> "It's a shame that the chairman and the board of a major Australian
> corporation are prepared to lend their names and reputation to this kind
> of political campaign."
>
> Last night Telstra made clear it would not back down from campaigning on
> regulation.
>
> "While Telstra seeks a public discussion of the virtues of broadband,
> the minister has made claims, many of them personal in nature, and many
> of them unsupported - or contradicted - by the facts," Telstra's
> spokesman, Andrew Maiden, said.
>
> "Telstra does not seek special treatment.


Of course not. They're just being reasonable and sensible.

> We simply seek rules that


....give us back our monopoly...

> support investment in Australia's broadband future."
>
> Telstra has taken legal action in the Federal Court against Senator
> Coonan twice in the last two months. Earlier this year the company also
> launched a constitutional challenge in the High Court against the
> competition regulator's powers to set prices for access to its copper-
> wire network.
>
> The legal action and broader political campaign by a company ahead of an
> election has no precedent in Australian history.


Of course it doesn't - this ain't the US (which is something those stupid
seppos don't appear to have quite managed to grasp yet). But i'm sure
it's got precedents among companies Trujillo's ****ed up!

> Senator Coonan has not spoken to Mr Trujillo since June, when the
> Government handed almost $1 billion to an Optus-led consortium to
> improve broadband services in the bush.
>
> When asked whether Telstra's campaign could be harmful for a government
> in election mode, Senator Coonan said: "Obviously that's a matter that
> we wouldn't discount and that's one of the reasons why it's so
> reprehensible that Telstra is prepared to play the political game. In
> the end, I think they will be punished for it."


Of course they will. By whichever party wins the election. Nobody in
government is going to sit back and allow those ********s to play games
like that for long.

> She said Telstra could not claim any gains for its shareholders from the
> relentless campaigning against telecommunications regulation. Instead,
> by "embarking on this capital strike", the company risked missing out on
> commercial opportunities.
>
> Senator Coonan has also hit back in recent days by raising the spectre
> of splitting Telstra.


Ha ha. Both parties are threatening that now! Well done Sol!

> Telstra has said it would fight in the courts any attempt to force a
> split of the company.


Which will cost shareholders millions - and they'll lose.


Reply With Quote
Reply


« Anyone Get Poor Reception On SE W880i? | NextG Speed Boost Implemented »
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT. The time now is 02:29 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45