Go Back   Wireless and Wifi Forums > Wireless Networks (Wifi) > Network Troubleshooting
Register FAQ Forum Rules Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Advertise Mark Forums Read

 
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 09-12-2010, 03:43 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 10
Question Wifi: sharing Internet Connection over two houses

Hi,

I need help sharing an Internet connection over two houses. I have got a set of two antennas from wifi-link.com and, with their advice, got two trendnet access points and a router.

Here are the link to the equipment I have

Access Points : Trendnet N Wireless 150Mbps Amazon.com: TRENDnet 300Mbps Wireless N Access Point TEW-638APB (Black): Electronics
Antennas : Buy Wireless antenna,WiFi Antenna,2.4Ghz 5Ghz Wlan Antenna,RF connector,RF pigtail cable,Lightning Protector,802.11 a/b/g, Omni ,panel ,yagi ,Grid antenna
Router House 1 : Linksys WRT54GC
Router House 2 : Trendnet Amazon.com: TRENDnet 300 Mbps Wireless N Gigabit Router TEW-639GR (Black): Electronics

Here is a diagram of my setup

http://wwangle.com/resources/wifisetup.png



I have several questions regarding my setup :

- in house2, should the Access Point be plugged on an ethernet port or the wan port ?
- which box should have the dhcp enabled ?
- should each house be on a different or the same subnet ?
- what mode should i pick for each access point (in house 2 i picked the client mode)


I am visiting my in laws and trying to set this up for them. My time here is running out, any help is appreciated. I d like to get this going before the end of next week.

Thanks,

samo
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 09-12-2010, 02:03 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 1,081
Default

how I did it:

http://www.wirelessforums.org/how-to...dge-53364.html
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 09-13-2010, 08:56 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Cambridge, Ohio
Posts: 3
Send a message via Skype™ to 90base
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by samo9789 View Post
Hi,

I need help sharing an Internet connection over two houses. I have got a set of two antennas from wifi-link.com and, with their advice, got two trendnet access points and a router.

Here are the link to the equipment I have

Access Points : Trendnet N Wireless 150Mbps Amazon.com: TRENDnet 300Mbps Wireless N Access Point TEW-638APB (Black): Electronics
Antennas : Buy Wireless antenna,WiFi Antenna,2.4Ghz 5Ghz Wlan Antenna,RF connector,RF pigtail cable,Lightning Protector,802.11 a/b/g, Omni ,panel ,yagi ,Grid antenna
Router House 1 : Linksys WRT54GC
Router House 2 : Trendnet Amazon.com: TRENDnet 300 Mbps Wireless N Gigabit Router TEW-639GR (Black): Electronics

Here is a diagram of my setup

http://wwangle.com/resources/wifisetup.png



I have several questions regarding my setup :

- in house2, should the Access Point be plugged on an ethernet port or the wan port ?
- which box should have the dhcp enabled ?
- should each house be on a different or the same subnet ?
- what mode should i pick for each access point (in house 2 i picked the client mode)


I am visiting my in laws and trying to set this up for them. My time here is running out, any help is appreciated. I d like to get this going before the end of next week.

Thanks,

samo
In House 1 i would set the Router up and it should hand out DHCp
House 2 should get the ap and set it as a repeater from the SSID of router 1
Both houses should be on the same subnet, but if you let DHCP do all the woro this should be done for you

I would put the AP in client mode that way it pulls IP address's from the router.


__________
Brandon C.
Rowe Wireless
Rowe Networks Wireless Store- VAR & Systems Integrator and Stocking Reseller
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 09-15-2010, 01:03 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 267
Default

From your diagram i can see that u are running 2 ip address ranges---192.168.1.x in house 1 and 192.168.10.x in house 2.
If u wanna have the setup like this its ok but since the house 2 router is also a dhcp server and running a different ip address range then u will have to plug the house 2 radio u already configured in client bridge mode into the WAN/INTERNET PORT of the house 2 router and on the NETWORK---WAN SETTING on the house 2 router, select DYNAMIC or AUTOMATICALLY ACQUIRE IP ADDRESS,this way the house 2 radio will get ip from the house 1 radio in the range of 192.168.1.x and retranslate it to 192.168.10.x

Let me know howit went.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 09-15-2010, 04:05 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 10
Default

Thanks, I will try that using the WAN Port. It looks like the automatic acquire IP Address was the failure last time though... I'll check this out again
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 09-16-2010, 12:46 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 267
Default

ok am waiting to know how it went.
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 09-16-2010, 01:40 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 10
Default

No luck. When I plug the access point to the WAN port of the router, I can't ping the router or access point of house 1 from house 2. I think the automatic detection of the Internet setup does not work. And I'm not unsure what to use as a IP / Gateway to manually set up the WAN connection in the house 2 router. Last attempt, I was trying to place everything on the same 192.168.1.0 subnet but that did't help so I'll revert today to what I had. Thanks for your help
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 09-17-2010, 07:43 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 267
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by samo9789 View Post
No luck. When I plug the access point to the WAN port of the router, I can't ping the router or access point of house 1 from house 2. I think the automatic detection of the Internet setup does not work. And I'm not unsure what to use as a IP / Gateway to manually set up the WAN connection in the house 2 router. Last attempt, I was trying to place everything on the same 192.168.1.0 subnet but that did't help so I'll revert today to what I had. Thanks for your help
My suggestions to u was based on what u had on your diagram. Ofcourse i knew from start hat u will not be able to access anything in house 1 with that setup, but if u wanna be accessing house 1 devices then everything MUST be on the same network.
Use this setup step by step as i have detailed it out and u will be fine:

1. IN HOUSE 1, dsl box to router.
configure router with say channel 6,
unique ssid say "house1",
use security encryptions if u want but be sure to use same keys and modes on all connecting devices,
DHCP SERVER MUST be enabled on this router say 192.168.1.x with the default gateway thats the LAN IP of the house 1 router being 192.168.1.1, all devices connecting to the house 1 setup will acquire their ip in the range of 192.168.1.x,
starting dhcp server ip range- 192.168.1.100 and ending dhcp server ip range- 192.168.1.254

STILL ON HOUSE 1, configure AP radio in AP MODE,
use LAN IP for the radio say 192.168.1.2,
use ssid say "house1 AP" or even if u want u can use the same ssid as the router.
check the configuration pages of the AP to see if this AP have its own DHCP SERVER as some devices have their own dhcp servers when configured in AP mode, so if AP has dhcp server u MUST DISABLE it on the AP as the house1 router is already handling dhcp leasing.
If u are using security encryptions, U MUST USE THE SAME TYPE AND KEYS throughout the entire setup.
use say channel 1 on the AP to avoid interference.
then plug in the ethernet cable from the AP into any of the LAN PORTS of the house1 router, connection should now be wirelessly possible to both the router and the AP in the ip range of 192.168.1.xx

HOUSE 2, configure radio as CB- client bridge
use same encryptions if u are using security encryptions
use say 192.168.1.3 as the LAN IP of the house2 CB radio
do a site survey and scan for the ssid of the house 1 AP- "HOUSE1 AP" and connect to it. u are done. all devices now connected to house2 CB will acquire ip address in the range of 192.168.1.xx and u should be able to connect to ALL YOUR NETWORK DEVICES.

STILL ON HOUSE 2, to make a house2 wireless network, get a router and do this
configure router the normal way
use ssid say "HOUSE 2"
use LAN IP say - 192.168.1.4
use same encryptions if u are using security encryptions
use say channel 11
DISABLE DHCP SERVER ON HOUSE 2 ROUTER
Now plug in the cable from the CB radio into any of the LAN/ETHERNET PORTS OF THE HOUSE 2 ROUTER.
U ARE DONE.
all connected devices will now acquire their ip from the house 1 router, all in the same range of 192.168.1.xx
pinging and remote logging in to all devices is also possible
sharing of files and folders and other resources is also possible now between all computers connected on this network

let me know how it went
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 09-17-2010, 04:27 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 10
Default

Well. I think I am very close now. The DHCP is turned off for the house2 router and ethernet wired or wifi computers get an IP in the 192.168.1.x range.

So, the computers in house 2 have the right IP and successfully ping 192.168.1.4 (router) and 192.168.1.3 (AP in house2) but not 192.168.1.2 (AP in house 1) and 192.168.1.1 (router in house1). They do not go online... As I set everything up as indicated by you, I sometimes didn't know what to use as gateway. I think this gateway settings could explain the ping issue.

I have set the AP in house 1 in manual LAN with IP 192.168.1.2 / 255.255.255.0 and gateway 192.168.1.1 (router in house1)

I have set the AP in house 2 in manual LAN with IP 192.168.1.3 / 255.255.255.0 and gateway 192.168.1.3 (I tried with 192.168.1.2 but then, the IP were not assigned anymore)

I have set the router in house 1 with IP 192.168.1.4 / 255.255.255.0 and nothing but 0.0.0.0 in the WAN settings so there is no Internet IP nor gateway.

I think it's all pretty close to working now and would appreciate your help once more. Thank you very much for the detailed indications provided above. As soon as everything is working, I'll sum everything up (with diagram and some screenshots) in a post which will hopefully help others.

Thanks
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 09-17-2010, 08:01 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 267
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by samo9789 View Post
Well. I think I am very close now. The DHCP is turned off for the house2 router and ethernet wired or wifi computers get an IP in the 192.168.1.x range.

So, the computers in house 2 have the right IP and successfully ping 192.168.1.4 (router) and 192.168.1.3 (AP in house2) but not 192.168.1.2 (AP in house 1) and 192.168.1.1 (router in house1). They do not go online... As I set everything up as indicated by you, I sometimes didn't know what to use as gateway. I think this gateway settings could explain the ping issue.

I have set the AP in house 1 in manual LAN with IP 192.168.1.2 / 255.255.255.0 and gateway 192.168.1.1 (router in house1)

I have set the AP in house 2 in manual LAN with IP 192.168.1.3 / 255.255.255.0 and gateway 192.168.1.3 (I tried with 192.168.1.2 but then, the IP were not assigned anymore)

I have set the router in house 1 with IP 192.168.1.4 / 255.255.255.0 and nothing but 0.0.0.0 in the WAN settings so there is no Internet IP nor gateway.

I think it's all pretty close to working now and would appreciate your help once more. Thank you very much for the detailed indications provided above. As soon as everything is working, I'll sum everything up (with diagram and some screenshots) in a post which will hopefully help others.

Thanks
Good we are getting close but i see where u r erring, never mind we r gonna get it now.
But b4 that lets solve the internet issues now and then move on, do these and get back to me asap.
1. what is the name of your ISP- internet service provider.
2. call your ISP and ask them the type of internet connection settings that they use, it should be either:-

DYNAMIC- If they say its dynamic then no problem, just let me know cos what it means is that the dsl will automatically lease an ip address to any of your devices that are connected to it. u can physically connect an ethernet cable from the dsl to your laptop and it should lease an ip to your laptop. copy out these ip address, subnet, gateway and dns and let me know what they are.

STATIC- If they say its static then they will give u a set of ip address, subnet, gateway and dns to use on your router so as to be able to connect to the internet.

PPPOE- If they say its this type then u will be given a user name and password which is what u will configure on your router for internet access.
just tell them u wanna use a router in your home for your home network and u will gey all the info.
am waiting but if u already know which it is then we move on, we r almost there for thats how to solve the GATEWAY ISSUES.

ANOTHER thing to find out is whether your dsl box has an in built router on it. plug an ethernet cable on the dsl and then connect it to your laptop and see if your laptop will acquire an ip from the dsl box and be able to browse the internet.
but 1st call your ISP and find out the info i gave u, there is a possibility that the dsl box ip address might be the same as the house 1 router...192.168.1.1 but am not definite, do all the tests i have asked u to do and call your ISP and let me know everything.

Last edited by simacoltd; 09-17-2010 at 08:05 PM.. Reason: more info added
Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old 09-17-2010, 08:24 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 10
Default

I'm glad you know what is going on
I plugged the laptop straight out of the DSL box and it does act as a router according to your definition.
I get an IP 184.0.6.x a subnet 255.255.248.0 and a gateway 184.0.0.1. I also get two DNS server IP addresses.

The ISP is SkyBest (only available in West North Carolina I believe). I called them and they said they didn't provide much support unless it was about one of their own piece of hardware. All I got them to tell me was that WIFI router were to be set as DHCP clients ad everything should work out of the box. I'm hoping the information provided above will be enough for you to tell me how to complete the setup.

Thanks again

Samantha
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old 09-18-2010, 05:09 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 267
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by samo9789 View Post
I'm glad you know what is going on
I plugged the laptop straight out of the DSL box and it does act as a router according to your definition.
I get an IP 184.0.6.x a subnet 255.255.248.0 and a gateway 184.0.0.1. I also get two DNS server IP addresses.

The ISP is SkyBest (only available in West North Carolina I believe). I called them and they said they didn't provide much support unless it was about one of their own piece of hardware. All I got them to tell me was that WIFI router were to be set as DHCP clients ad everything should work out of the box. I'm hoping the information provided above will be enough for you to tell me how to complete the setup.

Thanks again

Samantha
Oh this is gr8, ur problems are over now with this info u just got, do all these step by step and everything should be fine.

ON HOUSE 1 ROUTER, (note that every router has 2 interfaces, WAN / INTERNET INTERFACE and LAN / ETHERNET INTERFACE) configure router the normal way with:
manually assigned lan ip say 192.168.1.1 / 255.255.255.0 / NO GATEWAY
ssid say - "HOUSE1"
use security encryptions if u want but make sure all encryptions used throughout the entire network are the same mode, type and keys( for this tutorial, we will use WEP encryption type and for the WEP KEY we use 0987654321 this is just an example, u can choose something else or not use any at all if u feel u dont want to)
Channel say - 6
ENABLE DHCP SERVER
Starting Server IP address- 192.168.1.100
Ending Server IP address- 192.168.1.254
on NETWORK....WAN SETTING, select either of this settings depending on the type of router u have DHCP, DYNAMIC or AUTOMATICALLY OBTAIN IP ADDRESSESS.
Now plug in the cable from the dsl box into the WAN/INTERNET PORT OF HOUSE 1 ROUTER, confirm that the WAN or INTERNET LIGHT is now showing on the front panel.
U r done with house1 router, try connecting your laptop both wired and wirelessly and confirm u can browse the internet.

HOUSE 1 AP
configure normally with manual ip say- 192.168.1.2 / 255.255.255.0 / 192.168.1.1 (if your type of AP also asks for DNS, then use 192.168.1.1)
ssid say- "HOUSE1 AP"
Channel say 1
If u wanna use encryption on the AP then use WEP, wep key 0987654321 (this means u MUST USE IT TOO ON THE HOUSE 2 CB RADIO for it to associate to house1 AP).
If your type of AP has got a TX POWER SETTING (TRANSMIT POWER SETTING), use the MAX VALUE.
If your type of AP has DHCP SERVER SETTING on it when configured in AP MODE, then u will have to DISABLE IT.
Now plug in the cable from the AP into any of the LAN / ETHERNET PORTS of the house 1 router
Use a laptop and try connecting thru the AP ssid, (NOTE IF U USED ENCRYPTION, IT WILL ASK FOR THE PASSWORD B4 IT WILL CONNECT U TO THE NETWORK SO U INPUT THE WEP KEY 0987654321) U MAY HAVE TO CONFIRM THE KEY THE 2ND TIME.
u are done and should be browsing now thru the house 1 AP with your laptop acquiring ip in the range of 192.168.1.xxx / 255.255.255.0 / 192.168.1.1

HOUSE 2 RADIO
configure the radio as a BRIDGE with manually assigned lan ip- 192.168.1.3 / 255.255.255.0 / 192.168.1.1 (if your type of radio asks for DNS use 192.168.1.1).
Do a site survey, scan for the house 1 AP ssid and connect to it but be aware that if u used security encryptions on the house 1 AP then u MUST USE the same encryptions on the house 2 radio b4 the 2 radios can communicate and pass traffic.
Now setting your laptop to automatically acquire ip addresses and plugging in the cable from the house 2 radio u should be able to browse, connect and ping all the devices in house1 and even on the entire network, and your laptop will be leased an ip address in the range of 192.168.1.xxx / 255.255.255.0 / 192.168.1.1............done with this

HOUSE 2 ROUTER, so as to make it wireless in house 2
manually asssigned lan ip address- 192.168.1.4 / 255.255.255.0 / NO GATEWAY
ssid- "HOUSE2"
use security encryptions if u want
DISABLE DHCP SERVER
Channel 11
Plug in the cable from the house 2 radio into any of the LAN / ETHERNET PORTS of the router and u are done.
Now u can connect to the internet and also to any device on your network to share resources with.
U can also ping any device.
U can log into any of the devices for management purposes.

Let me know how it went, am waiting.
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old 09-18-2010, 01:59 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 10
Default

Well, if I connect the laptop to the house1 AP over wifi, I'm online. If I connect the laptop using the Ethernet cable to the house2 AP I can't ping the house1 router and don't get the Internet. I suppose my error is somewhere in the access points settings either in house 1 or house 2. Strangely enough, I can't ping the router but the router is giving me an IP since I do get an IP in the 192.168.1.1xx range when I plug the ethernet wire from the AP to my laptop. I suppose it's down to a small error I just can't see.

Here are links to the configuration pages I have:

http://wwangle.com/resources/wifi/house1_1.jpg
http://wwangle.com/resources/wifi/house1_2.jpg
http://wwangle.com/resources/wifi/house1_3.jpg
http://wwangle.com/resources/wifi/house1_4.jpg

http://wwangle.com/resources/wifi/house2_1.png
http://wwangle.com/resources/wifi/house2_2.png

Once again, thanks for your assistance. I hope nothing is defective with the hardware as I will leave in a few hours now.

Thanks,
Samantha
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old 09-18-2010, 05:22 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 267
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by samo9789 View Post
Well, if I connect the laptop to the house1 AP over wifi, I'm online. If I connect the laptop using the Ethernet cable to the house2 AP I can't ping the house1 router and don't get the Internet. I suppose my error is somewhere in the access points settings either in house 1 or house 2. Strangely enough, I can't ping the router but the router is giving me an IP since I do get an IP in the 192.168.1.1xx range when I plug the ethernet wire from the AP to my laptop. I suppose it's down to a small error I just can't see.

Here are links to the configuration pages I have:

http://wwangle.com/resources/wifi/house1_1.jpg
http://wwangle.com/resources/wifi/house1_2.jpg
http://wwangle.com/resources/wifi/house1_3.jpg
http://wwangle.com/resources/wifi/house1_4.jpg

http://wwangle.com/resources/wifi/house2_1.png
http://wwangle.com/resources/wifi/house2_2.png

Once again, thanks for your assistance. I hope nothing is defective with the hardware as I will leave in a few hours now.

Thanks,
Samantha
Having thoroughly gone thru the manual of this product i have seen where the problem is, do these now and all should be well

ON HOUSE 1 ROUTER, (note that every router has 2 interfaces, WAN / INTERNET INTERFACE and LAN / ETHERNET INTERFACE) configure router the normal way with:
manually assigned lan ip say 192.168.1.1 / 255.255.255.0 / NO GATEWAY
ssid say - "HOUSE1"
use security encryptions if u want but make sure all encryptions used throughout the entire network are the same mode, type and keys( for this tutorial, we will use WEP encryption type and for the WEP KEY we use 0987654321 this is just an example, u can choose something else or not use any at all if u feel u dont want to)
Channel say - 6
ENABLE DHCP SERVER
Starting Server IP address- 192.168.1.100
Ending Server IP address- 192.168.1.254
on NETWORK....WAN SETTING, select either of this settings depending on the type of router u have DHCP, DYNAMIC or AUTOMATICALLY OBTAIN IP ADDRESSESS.
Now plug in the cable from the dsl box into the WAN/INTERNET PORT OF HOUSE 1 ROUTER, confirm that the WAN or INTERNET LIGHT is now showing on the front panel.
U r done with house1 router, try connecting your laptop both wired and wirelessly and confirm u can browse the internet.

HOUSE 1 AP
configure normally with manual ip say- 192.168.1.2 / 255.255.255.0 / 192.168.1.1
ssid say- "HOUSE1 AP"
Channel say 1
ENABLE AP mode support, on wireless network under basic wireless settings and input the mac address of the house 2 AP radio onto this house 1 AP radio.
ON HT PHYSICAL MODE, under operation modee, If u have both wireless G and wireless N devices on your network then select MIXED MODE but if u have only wireless N devices on your network select green field.
UNDER WIRELESS DISTRIBUTION SYSTEM, on WDS MODE select DISABLE.
If u wanna use encryption on the AP then use WEP, wep key 0987654321 (this means u MUST USE IT TOO ON THE HOUSE 2 CB RADIO for it to associate to house1 AP).
Now plug in the cable from the AP into any of the LAN / ETHERNET PORTS of the house 1router.
Use a laptop and try connecting thru the AP ssid, (NOTE IF U USED ENCRYPTION, IT WILL ASK FOR THE PASSWORD B4 IT WILL CONNECT U TO THE NETWORK SO U INPUT THE WEP KEY 0987654321) U MAY HAVE TO CONFIRM THE KEY THE 2ND TIME.
u are done and should be browsing now thru the house 1 AP with your laptop acquiring ip in the range of 192.168.1.xxx / 255.255.255.0 / 192.168.1.1

HOUSE 2 RADIO
configure the radio also as an AP with manually assigned lan ip- 192.168.1.3 / 255.255.255.0 / 192.168.1.1
Use the same SSID and CHANNEL as that used on house 1 AP RADIO.
ENABLE AP MODE SUPPORT also on this house 2 radio and input the MAC ADDRESS of the house 1 AP radio onto this house 2 AP radio.
Select mixed or green field depending on the type of devices u have on your network.
DISABLE WDS MODE.
Be aware that if u used security encryptions on the house 1 AP radio then u MUST USE the same encryptions on the house 2 AP radio b4 the 2 radios can communicate and pass traffic.
Now setting your laptop to automatically acquire ip addresses and plugging in the cable from the house 2 radio u should be able to browse, connect and ping all the devices in house1 and even on the entire network, and your laptop will be leased an ip address in the range of 192.168.1.xxx / 255.255.255.0 / 192.168.1.1............done with this

HOUSE 2 ROUTER, so as to make it wireless in house 2
manually asssigned lan ip address- 192.168.1.4 / 255.255.255.0 / NO GATEWAY
ssid- "HOUSE2"
use security encryptions if u want
DISABLE DHCP SERVER
Channel 11
Plug in the cable from the house 2 radio into any of the LAN / ETHERNET PORTS of the router and u are done.
Now u can connect to the internet and also to any device on your network to share resources with.
U can also ping any device.
U can log into any of the devices for management purposes.

Try this and Let me know how it went, am waiting.
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old 11-06-2010, 08:16 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 10
Default

Well, sorry for this late reply. I left as planned, several weeks ago, and never got it to work. I think the Access Points we were advised to buy are a bit strange as everything you explained made sense but would never work with these two AP. Anyway, my husband will return there in a few months and try again. Hope he'll have more luck. We wil investigate these AP online by then, too.

Thanks so much for all your help through this. If it never did work, at least, I learnt a lot about networking.
Reply With Quote
  #16 (permalink)  
Old 12-30-2011, 06:41 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 10
Default New attempt

Hello,

Back in America, I am trying this again.
I do not know if I should use the Access Point or the AP Client mode on one of / both Access Points. Can anyone help me ?

Thanks
Reply With Quote
  #17 (permalink)  
Old 12-30-2011, 09:43 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 1,081
Default

the AP goes in the house that has internet via copper wire

the network device in the other house is set up as a client, or client bridge
Reply With Quote
  #18 (permalink)  
Old 01-01-2012, 10:37 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 10
Default

Thanks, this is what I did and had the whole setup working for a few minutes then the AP client lost the link with the AP in house 1 and it would never reconnect long enough to work again. I believe the antennas are too weak or not placed well enough for this too work.
I wonder if another technology is the solution here...
Reply With Quote
  #19 (permalink)  
Old 01-02-2012, 02:11 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 1,081
Default



there's something happening here, and what it is ain't exactly clear.

a router can't route if there is nothing on the WAN port. that is what routers do; keep local traffic on one side and route internet traffic out the WAN port.

you did read that link way up there, "how I did it"? mine has worked for 5 years without a glitch.
Reply With Quote
  #20 (permalink)  
Old 01-02-2012, 09:32 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 10
Default

I don't understand your answer. I have a setup similar to what you describe. The only problem seems to be that the two AP loose the connection between each other. I think the antennas might be too weak.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
access points, houses, internet connection, wifi


« How To Determine Wireless Router IP | wireless between two houses help troubleshooting »
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Virgin - Excessive charge for Internet usage. Michael Chare uk.telecom.mobile 15 09-06-2010 03:03 PM
Sharing a broadband connection between two houses pdstreeter Wireless Networking Discussion 1 05-06-2010 12:24 AM
CFP with Extended Deadline of Mar. 21, 2010: The 2010 InternationalConference on Internet Computing (ICOMP'10), USA, July 2010 A. M. G. Solo comp.security.misc 0 03-14-2010 08:59 PM
sharing internet connection from adsl to wireless enabled laptop baa Wireless Networking Discussion 0 06-03-2009 08:21 PM
Internet Connection Sharing Problem jimmy6363 Wireless Networking Discussion 1 02-20-2007 03:14 AM


All times are GMT. The time now is 01:33 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45