Go Back   Wireless and Wifi Forums > Cellular Communications > Cellular Newsgroups > uk.telecom.mobile
Register FAQ Forum Rules Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Advertise Mark Forums Read

 
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 10-31-2006, 10:32 PM
Rick
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default LEGALLY duplicating a SIM Card


Hi all

I need to clone / duplicate my SIM card. Nothing dodgy - I have
bought a car with a phone in it and I would like a duplicate so I
don't have to swap it from the phone every time it want to use the car
phone - you get the picture.

I've scoured the net for ideas but have not found anything very
helpful. I bought the SIM MASter device but the software only allows
backup of contacts / SMSs etc., not a complete duplication.

NB - I initally contacted my operator to request a duplicate - they
were about as unhelpful as possible!

Any ideas very gratefully received, either on here or by email.
Address below minus the obvious!

Thanks!

rparker@uk2.net-****OFFSPAMMERSANDDIE




Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 10-31-2006, 11:07 PM
Colin Wilson
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: LEGALLY duplicating a SIM Card

> NB - I initally contacted my operator to request a duplicate - they
> were about as unhelpful as possible!


Try them again - its a fairly standard request afaik, just that some of
them might not be as clued up as others.

Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 10-31-2006, 11:31 PM
Ivor Jones
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: LEGALLY duplicating a SIM Card



"Colin Wilson" <void@btinternet.com> wrote in message
news:MPG.1fb1f59f8a871110989a4b@news.individual.ne t
> > NB - I initally contacted my operator to request a
> > duplicate - they were about as unhelpful as possible!

>
> Try them again - its a fairly standard request afaik,
> just that some of them might not be as clued up as others.


Only Orange and Vodafone currently offer such a service and it comes at a
price. It isn't a matter of just duplicating a SIM.

Ivor



Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 11-01-2006, 06:30 AM
Jon
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: LEGALLY duplicating a SIM Card

rparker@uk2.netFUCKOFFSPAMMERSANDDIE declared for all the world to
hear...
> I need to clone / duplicate my SIM card. Nothing dodgy - I have
> bought a car with a phone in it and I would like a duplicate so I
> don't have to swap it from the phone every time it want to use the car
> phone - you get the picture.
>
> I've scoured the net for ideas but have not found anything very
> helpful.


It's only theoretically possible with very old SIM cards, and even then
the original SIM is usually destroyed in the process.

> NB - I initally contacted my operator to request a duplicate - they
> were about as unhelpful as possible!


Who is your provider? Vodafone offer multiSIM for Ł7 per month extra on
your subscription and this also leaves you without GPRS. Orange offer
"Single Number" if you are a corporate customer. If you're not either of
those then you should give up now!
--
Regards
Jon

Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 11-01-2006, 06:31 AM
Jon
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: LEGALLY duplicating a SIM Card

void@btinternet.com declared for all the world to hear...
> > NB - I initally contacted my operator to request a duplicate - they
> > were about as unhelpful as possible!

>
> Try them again - its a fairly standard request afaik, just that some of
> them might not be as clued up as others.


It's not a standard request at all.
--
Regards
Jon

Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 11-01-2006, 08:09 AM
hairydog@despammed.com
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: LEGALLY duplicating a SIM Card

On Wed, 1 Nov 2006 00:07:31 -0000, Colin Wilson <void@btinternet.com>
wrote:

>> NB - I initally contacted my operator to request a duplicate - they
>> were about as unhelpful as possible!

>
>Try them again - its a fairly standard request afaik, just that some of
>them might not be as clued up as others.


Wrong answer. It may be a standard request, but what is being asked
for is almost impossible and has huge technical problems, so no
network will do it.

What the OP actually wants is two phones on the same phone number.
That's possible, but not by cloning the sim card. Orange and Vodafone
each offer a service that does this, but both have snags.

My car simply has a different phone number. Much easier.

--

Iain
the out-of-date hairydog guide to mobile phones
http://www.hairydog.co.uk/cell1.html
Browse now while stocks last!

Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 11-01-2006, 09:07 AM
Rick
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: LEGALLY duplicating a SIM Card


To clarify in case it wasn't clear, I am aware that I could not have
both phones on at once, and indeed wouldn't want to. I can't see why
that should be difficult.

If someone could explain to my *why* what I want isn't technically
possible, I'd be really interested to know.

Thanks for your responses so far!


On Tue, 31 Oct 2006 23:32:33 GMT, Rick
<rparker@uk2.net****OFFSPAMMERSANDDIE> wrote:

>
>Hi all
>
>I need to clone / duplicate my SIM card. Nothing dodgy - I have
>bought a car with a phone in it and I would like a duplicate so I
>don't have to swap it from the phone every time it want to use the car
>phone - you get the picture.
>
>I've scoured the net for ideas but have not found anything very
>helpful. I bought the SIM MASter device but the software only allows
>backup of contacts / SMSs etc., not a complete duplication.
>
>NB - I initally contacted my operator to request a duplicate - they
>were about as unhelpful as possible!
>
>Any ideas very gratefully received, either on here or by email.
>Address below minus the obvious!
>
>Thanks!
>
>rparker@uk2.net-****OFFSPAMMERSANDDIE
>
>


Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 11-01-2006, 09:55 AM
Gerry \(The MOTH\)
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: LEGALLY duplicating a SIM Card

I've got a sim cloner in the garage somewhere, you could load up to 5 sim
cards onto one sim card, but would only work with old sim cards and since
upgrading to 3G sim cards can't get it to work. Got it off ebay.

--
Gerry (The MOTH)

"Rick" <rparker@uk2.net****OFFSPAMMERSANDDIE> wrote in message
news:jbsgk2dgehqb4q749mcf2aafch9t5kvnms@4ax.com...
>
> To clarify in case it wasn't clear, I am aware that I could not have
> both phones on at once, and indeed wouldn't want to. I can't see why
> that should be difficult.
>
> If someone could explain to my *why* what I want isn't technically
> possible, I'd be really interested to know.
>
> Thanks for your responses so far!
>
>
> On Tue, 31 Oct 2006 23:32:33 GMT, Rick
> <rparker@uk2.net****OFFSPAMMERSANDDIE> wrote:
>
>>
>>Hi all
>>
>>I need to clone / duplicate my SIM card. Nothing dodgy - I have
>>bought a car with a phone in it and I would like a duplicate so I
>>don't have to swap it from the phone every time it want to use the car
>>phone - you get the picture.
>>
>>I've scoured the net for ideas but have not found anything very
>>helpful. I bought the SIM MASter device but the software only allows
>>backup of contacts / SMSs etc., not a complete duplication.
>>
>>NB - I initally contacted my operator to request a duplicate - they
>>were about as unhelpful as possible!
>>
>>Any ideas very gratefully received, either on here or by email.
>>Address below minus the obvious!
>>
>>Thanks!
>>
>>rparker@uk2.net-****OFFSPAMMERSANDDIE
>>
>>




Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 11-01-2006, 01:16 PM
©®
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: LEGALLY duplicating a SIM Card

I'm interested as well. Would only (obviously) have one phone on at one
time. Would like to keep a phone for the car that connects with SatNav
whereas normal phone I use can't connect to the SatNav.
It just gets tiring/boring/whatever having to keep switching the sim
(O2) cards. Just want it for ease of use.
Hope someone has a workable idea.



Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 11-01-2006, 06:12 PM
Jon
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: LEGALLY duplicating a SIM Card

rparker@uk2.netFUCKOFFSPAMMERSANDDIE declared for all the world to
hear...
> To clarify in case it wasn't clear, I am aware that I could not have
> both phones on at once, and indeed wouldn't want to. I can't see why
> that should be difficult.
>
> If someone could explain to my *why* what I want isn't technically
> possible, I'd be really interested to know.


If you did somehow manage it then it would be *possible* for you to have
both devices on at once and A GSM network does not know how to cope with
that.

The services that give you one number for 2 SIMs work with clever use of
diverts which are transparent to the user. EG with Vodafone multiSIM you
actually have 2 dummy numbers assigned to each SIM and one "real" number
whose sole purpose is to divert all incoming stuff to one of the dummy
numbers (whichever is nominated as the active receiver. In technical
terms there's more to it than that but that should suffice for a laymans
explanation.
--
Regards
Jon

Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old 11-01-2006, 06:24 PM
Ivor Jones
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: LEGALLY duplicating a SIM Card

"Jon" <spam@jonparker.plus.com> wrote in message
news:MPG.1fb301fc67eef44598a4c4@text.usenet.plus.n et
> rparker@uk2.netFUCKOFFSPAMMERSANDDIE declared for all the
> world to hear...
> > To clarify in case it wasn't clear, I am aware that I
> > could not have both phones on at once, and indeed
> > wouldn't want to. I can't see why that should be
> > difficult.
> >
> > If someone could explain to my *why* what I want isn't
> > technically possible, I'd be really interested to know.

>
> If you did somehow manage it then it would be *possible*
> for you to have both devices on at once and A GSM network
> does not know how to cope with that.


Then the network should be reprogrammed so that it *isn't* possible. If a
second SIM with the same details tries to connect while one is still
active, it should be possible to reject it as an invalid attempt. Only if
the network does not have that customer's account currently registered
should it be possible to connect.

I don't see why that isn't possible without a lot less hassle than it is
now.


Ivor



Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old 11-01-2006, 07:32 PM
Ivor Jones
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: LEGALLY duplicating a SIM Card



<deadmail@burnt.org.uk> wrote in message
news:dn0ik25uiivdob4umctnvb2p3q1ask9u6c@4ax.com
> "Ivor Jones" <ivor@despammed.invalid> wrote in message
> <4qsajuFnpsk2U1@individual.net>:
>
> > Then the network should be reprogrammed so that it
> > *isn't* possible. If a second SIM with the same details
> > tries to connect while one is still active, it should
> > be possible to reject it as an invalid attempt. Only if
> > the network does not have that customer's account
> > currently registered should it be possible to connect.

>
> Why do you assume the second one is the 'illigitimate'
> one?


I don't assume either is illegitimate as you put it. What I am trying to
say is this - if a customer is currently logged in, with *any* SIM, then a
second SIM should not be allowed to connect until the first one has
disconnected. This will prevent the problem of the same details being
logged more than once simultaneously.

Ivor



Reply With Quote
Reply


« Orange SIM's phone number | CPW chequeback - 4th or 5th bill? »
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Novatel U730 Data Card Issues Drew alt.cellular.cingular 0 01-23-2007 12:52 AM
PCI card backplate dimensions Dan Lenski alt.comp.hardware 5 12-22-2006 03:27 AM
Re: SIM card upgrade? bamp alt.cellular.cingular 0 09-15-2006 12:52 AM
Best fitting video card: NVIDIA (which brand?) or ATI (Sapphire)? Andrea Sansottera alt.comp.hardware 1 08-30-2006 09:12 AM
Re: Dual monitor video card, which one? GrimJack808 alt.comp.hardware 1 08-20-2006 07:10 PM


All times are GMT. The time now is 09:17 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45