Go Back   Wireless and Wifi Forums > Cellular Communications > Cellular Newsgroups > uk.telecom.mobile
Register FAQ Forum Rules Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Advertise Mark Forums Read

 
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 03-28-2007, 02:14 PM
Planet X
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Longest Expiry Period of PAYG Sim?

Hi,

Which service provider gives the longest expiry period on their sim
cards? By that I mean, the longest period without making a call or
sending a text.

So far, I can find Tesco at 6 months! Are there any SP's with longer
periods?

Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 03-28-2007, 06:31 PM
ted frater
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Longest Expiry Period of PAYG Sim?

Planet X wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Which service provider gives the longest expiry period on their sim
> cards? By that I mean, the longest period without making a call or
> sending a text.
>
> So far, I can find Tesco at 6 months! Are there any SP's with longer
> periods?

Im with orange and I asked them your question some time ago.
they said so long as you have money on credit with them thell keep the
account open indefinately.
Tho I probably only make half a doz calls a year.
Just have it for emergencies and to take incoming calls.

Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 03-28-2007, 09:21 PM
Planet X
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Longest Expiry Period of PAYG Sim?

On Wed, 28 Mar 2007 17:31:40 GMT, ted frater <ted.frater@virgin.net>
wrote:

Thanks Ted. I'll look into that.

BTW don't sign up with Vodafone PAYG. I was a couple of days over
their 30-day maximum and they shut my account AND kept my 15.00
credit! When I contacted them, they said take out a contract or p**s
off! Charming!

>Im with orange and I asked them your question some time ago.
>they said so long as you have money on credit with them thell keep the
>account open indefinately.
>Tho I probably only make half a doz calls a year.
>Just have it for emergencies and to take incoming calls.



Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 03-28-2007, 10:10 PM
majogh
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Longest Expiry Period of PAYG Sim?

ted frater wrote:

> Im with orange and I asked them your question some time ago.
> they said so long as you have money on credit with them thell keep the
> account open indefinately.
> Tho I probably only make half a doz calls a year.
> Just have it for emergencies and to take incoming calls.


They disconnected my old sim that had not been used for a while. Their
T&C page states:

"We will disconnect your Device if during the previous six months,
you have not Registered a new Top Up or you have not made chargeable
calls from your Device or received incoming calls on your phone."

Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 03-29-2007, 08:34 AM
Planet X
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Longest Expiry Period of PAYG Sim?

On Wed, 28 Mar 2007 22:10:06 +0100, majogh <none@any.con> wrote:

>They disconnected my old sim that had not been used for a while. Their
>T&C page states:
>
> "We will disconnect your Device if during the previous six months,
>you have not Registered a new Top Up or you have not made chargeable
>calls from your Device or received incoming calls on your phone."


And I doubt there was any refund of credit you had purchased? This is
getting to be a nice little earner for sp's and not entirely legal I
bet.

Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 03-29-2007, 02:08 PM
S Viemeister
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Longest Expiry Period of PAYG Sim?

Planet X wrote:

> On Wed, 28 Mar 2007 22:10:06 +0100, majogh <none@any.con> wrote:
>
>
>>They disconnected my old sim that had not been used for a while. Their
>>T&C page states:
>>
>> "We will disconnect your Device if during the previous six months,
>>you have not Registered a new Top Up or you have not made chargeable
>>calls from your Device or received incoming calls on your phone."

>
>
> And I doubt there was any refund of credit you had purchased? This is
> getting to be a nice little earner for sp's and not entirely legal I
> bet.
>

I had an Orange PAYG SIM turned off due to non-use. There was a fair
amount of credit on it. I simply called Orange, and had the money
credited to another SIM.

Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 03-29-2007, 03:43 PM
R. Mark Clayton
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Longest Expiry Period of PAYG Sim?


"Planet X" <planetx@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
news:6ajl03djcb87t3db7daomv8fkl6gfmdfs0@4ax.com...
> On Wed, 28 Mar 2007 17:31:40 GMT, ted frater <ted.frater@virgin.net>
> wrote:
>
> Thanks Ted. I'll look into that.
>
> BTW don't sign up with Vodafone PAYG. I was a couple of days over
> their 30-day maximum and they shut my account AND kept my 15.00
> credit! When I contacted them, they said take out a contract or p**s
> off! Charming!


Their PAYG Original is more sensible.

>
>>Im with orange and I asked them your question some time ago.
>>they said so long as you have money on credit with them thell keep the
>>account open indefinately.
>>Tho I probably only make half a doz calls a year.
>>Just have it for emergencies and to take incoming calls.

>




Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 03-29-2007, 06:08 PM
King Of Fools
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Longest Expiry Period of PAYG Sim?

On 28 Mar, 14:14, Planet X <plan...@ntlworld.com> wrote:
> Which service provider gives the longest expiry period on their sim
> cards? By that I mean, the longest period without making a call or
> sending a text.
>
> So far, I can find Tesco at 6 months! Are there any SP's with longer
> periods?


I believe Virgin is 1 year.


Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 03-29-2007, 06:24 PM
Rufus Stone
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Longest Expiry Period of PAYG Sim?

On Wed, 28 Mar 2007 17:31:40 GMT, ted frater <ted.frater@virgin.net>
wrote:

>Im with orange and I asked them your question some time ago.
>they said so long as you have money on credit with them thell keep the
>account open indefinately.


As usual, Orange have either lied or given an incompetent reply.

It is normal for Orange PAYG SIM cards to be disconnected and the
credit lost if a call or text is not sent or received within a 6 month
period. There will always be exceptions to this rule where one has
been missed but the above is generally true.

In the past, Virgin have been very unlikely to disconnect a PAYG SIM
even if it had not been used in years.

HTH.

R.


Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 03-29-2007, 06:26 PM
Rufus Stone
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Longest Expiry Period of PAYG Sim?

On 29 Mar 2007 10:08:24 -0700, "King Of Fools"
<ToBeTheKingOfFools@googlemail.com> wrote:

>I believe Virgin is 1 year.


Although I have Virgin SIM's that are still working after two or more
years without making or receivings calls/texts.

R.


Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old 03-30-2007, 01:20 AM
andy
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Longest Expiry Period of PAYG Sim?

On Mar 29, 3:43 pm, "R. Mark Clayton" <nospamclay...@btinternet.com>
wrote:
> "Planet X" <plan...@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
>
> news:6ajl03djcb87t3db7daomv8fkl6gfmdfs0@4ax.com...
>
> > On Wed, 28 Mar 2007 17:31:40 GMT, ted frater <ted.fra...@virgin.net>
> > wrote:

>
> > Thanks Ted. I'll look into that.

>
> > BTW don't sign up with Vodafone PAYG. I was a couple of days over
> > their 30-day maximum and they shut my account AND kept my 15.00
> > credit! When I contacted them, they said take out a contract or p**s
> > off! Charming!

>
> Their PAYG Original is more sensible.
>
>
>
>
>
> >>Im with orange and I asked them your question some time ago.
> >>they said so long as you have money on credit with them thell keep the
> >>account open indefinately.
> >>Tho I probably only make half a doz calls a year.
> >>Just have it for emergencies and to take incoming calls.- Hide quoted text -

>
> - Show quoted text -


Vodaone is looking like a total waste of ****ing space on payt

they disconnected mine by mistake, reinstated it after I kicked up a
fuss, failed to return a promised call querying whether it was going
back on the original tariff, and disconnected it again less than 3
weeks later


Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old 03-30-2007, 09:58 PM
majogh
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Longest Expiry Period of PAYG Sim?

Planet X wrote:
> On Wed, 28 Mar 2007 22:10:06 +0100, majogh <none@any.con> wrote:
>
>> They disconnected my old sim that had not been used for a while. Their
>> T&C page states:
>>
>> "We will disconnect your Device if during the previous six months,
>> you have not Registered a new Top Up or you have not made chargeable
>> calls from your Device or received incoming calls on your phone."

>
> And I doubt there was any refund of credit you had purchased? This is
> getting to be a nice little earner for sp's and not entirely legal I
> bet.


To be honest I didn't bother trying as there was hardly any credit left
on the sim.

Reply With Quote
Reply


« GPS on a Nokia | 3 - UK contact number? »
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
O2 PAYG limited GPRS access - POP3 options? Duncan uk.telecom.mobile 6 12-10-2006 06:53 PM
PAYG with full international Roaming Martin uk.telecom.mobile 4 12-10-2006 02:06 PM
Pay As You Go Mobile Phone Price Comparison Website is launched, www.boxbreak.com - The UKs only impartial PAYG Price Comparison Website nokianokia2u@yahoo.co.uk uk.telecom.mobile 5 10-10-2006 12:25 PM
compare payg mobile phones - review of mobile phone price comparison website - mobile phone reviews nokianokia2u@yahoo.co.uk alt.cellular.ericsson 0 09-27-2006 02:27 PM
Sms Validity Period Dodgy Dave uk.telecom.mobile 2 09-19-2006 12:41 AM


All times are GMT. The time now is 08:08 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45