Go Back   Wireless and Wifi Forums > Cellular Communications > Cellular Newsgroups > uk.telecom.mobile
Register FAQ Forum Rules Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Advertise Mark Forums Read

 
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 05-13-2013, 09:22 AM
Clive Page
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default SIM for visitor to UK?

Some cousins of mine who live in Australia are visiting the UK this
summer and asked me to suggest a UK SIM to put in their phones while
they are here and in other parts of Europe.

I thought that Giffgaff might be suitable. I'd happily post them a
couple of SIMs, and assumed that they would be able activate them before
leaving so they know their new temporary numbers in advance, and would
be able to use their phones as soon as they reached Heathrow.

But it seems from postings on the Giffgaff site that you can't activate
the card with a credit/debit card that is registered outside the UK. Is
this a general problem, or just some arbitrary bit of user-hostile
behaviour on the part of O2/Giffgaff? If anyone knows of SIMs that
could be set up from outside the UK and maybe topped up using a foreign
credit card (and are not too expensive) then I'd be pleased to know
about it.


--
Clive Page

Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 05-13-2013, 09:39 AM
Gyp
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: SIM for visitor to UK?

On 13/05/2013 10:22, Clive Page wrote:
> Some cousins of mine who live in Australia are visiting the UK this
> summer and asked me to suggest a UK SIM to put in their phones while
> they are here and in other parts of Europe.
>
> I thought that Giffgaff might be suitable. I'd happily post them a
> couple of SIMs, and assumed that they would be able activate them before
> leaving so they know their new temporary numbers in advance, and would
> be able to use their phones as soon as they reached Heathrow.
>
> But it seems from postings on the Giffgaff site that you can't activate
> the card with a credit/debit card that is registered outside the UK. Is
> this a general problem, or just some arbitrary bit of user-hostile
> behaviour on the part of O2/Giffgaff? If anyone knows of SIMs that
> could be set up from outside the UK and maybe topped up using a foreign
> credit card (and are not too expensive) then I'd be pleased to know
> about it.


you can top them up with O2 pay as you go vouchers which you could buy
in a supermarket, so if you wish you could register the sims on the
network and top them up before sending them to them.

Quite how this would work with roaming, I'm not sure.


--
Gyp

Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 05-13-2013, 10:12 AM
Roland Perry
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: SIM for visitor to UK?

In message <avbpmkF46kpU1@mid.individual.net>, at 10:22:27 on Mon, 13
May 2013, Clive Page <usenet@page2.eu> remarked:
>Some cousins of mine who live in Australia are visiting the UK this
>summer and asked me to suggest a UK SIM to put in their phones while
>they are here and in other parts of Europe.


When I was at Heathrow recently there were several vending machines in
the arrivals concourse with about a dozen different brands of SIM in
them. Presumably the suppliers would not be daft enough to be selling
SIMS that can't be topped up? So if they can wait until then...
--
Roland Perry

Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 05-13-2013, 10:27 AM
Gordon Henderson
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: SIM for visitor to UK?

In article <avbpmkF46kpU1@mid.individual.net>,
Clive Page <usenet@page2.eu> wrote:
>Some cousins of mine who live in Australia are visiting the UK this
>summer and asked me to suggest a UK SIM to put in their phones while
>they are here and in other parts of Europe.
>
>I thought that Giffgaff might be suitable. I'd happily post them a
>couple of SIMs, and assumed that they would be able activate them before
>leaving so they know their new temporary numbers in advance, and would
>be able to use their phones as soon as they reached Heathrow.
>
>But it seems from postings on the Giffgaff site that you can't activate
>the card with a credit/debit card that is registered outside the UK. Is
>this a general problem, or just some arbitrary bit of user-hostile
>behaviour on the part of O2/Giffgaff? If anyone knows of SIMs that
>could be set up from outside the UK and maybe topped up using a foreign
>credit card (and are not too expensive) then I'd be pleased to know
>about it.


You could activate them and put a tenner on them in-advance for
them... then post to them...

However GG isn't the best rate to use when roaming Europe - I've just
spent 2 weeks abroad and while I did use my GG sim in the phone, I didn't
use any data - that's stupidly expensive.

Gordon

Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 05-13-2013, 12:25 PM
Martin Brown
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: SIM for visitor to UK?

On 13/05/2013 11:12, Roland Perry wrote:
> In message <avbpmkF46kpU1@mid.individual.net>, at 10:22:27 on Mon, 13
> May 2013, Clive Page <usenet@page2.eu> remarked:
>> Some cousins of mine who live in Australia are visiting the UK this
>> summer and asked me to suggest a UK SIM to put in their phones while
>> they are here and in other parts of Europe.

>
> When I was at Heathrow recently there were several vending machines in
> the arrivals concourse with about a dozen different brands of SIM in
> them. Presumably the suppliers would not be daft enough to be selling
> SIMS that can't be topped up? So if they can wait until then...


There are also plenty of money changers with usurious rates too so I
wouldn't like to bet on it being cost effective. Increasingly 3G SIM
PAYG cards with credit on are becoming cheaper to buy than to top up!

Why would anyone buy a 1GB data top up for 10 when you can have a brand
new 3G SIM card containing 3GB credit for just 50p more?
--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 05-13-2013, 12:45 PM
Roland Perry
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: SIM for visitor to UK?

In message <fZ4kt.13415$Fe.6622@newsfe20.iad>, at 13:25:47 on Mon, 13
May 2013, Martin Brown <|||newspam|||@nezumi.demon.co.uk> remarked:
>>> Some cousins of mine who live in Australia are visiting the UK this
>>> summer and asked me to suggest a UK SIM to put in their phones while
>>> they are here and in other parts of Europe.

>>
>> When I was at Heathrow recently there were several vending machines in
>> the arrivals concourse with about a dozen different brands of SIM in
>> them. Presumably the suppliers would not be daft enough to be selling
>> SIMS that can't be topped up? So if they can wait until then...

>
>There are also plenty of money changers with usurious rates too so I
>wouldn't like to bet on it being cost effective. Increasingly 3G SIM
>PAYG cards with credit on are becoming cheaper to buy than to top up!
>
>Why would anyone buy a 1GB data top up for 10 when you can have a
>brand new 3G SIM card containing 3GB credit for just 50p more?


If they can top up here-and-now, and the new SIM is a hundred miles and
2nd Class post away.

But you are right, that the best prices seem to be buying one-off SIMs
on eBay. Maybe that's what to OP needs to advise his visitors.
--
Roland Perry

Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 05-13-2013, 03:03 PM
Clive Page
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: SIM for visitor to UK?

On 13/05/2013 11:27, Gordon Henderson wrote:
> However GG isn't the best rate to use when roaming Europe - I've just
> spent 2 weeks abroad and while I did use my GG sim in the phone, I didn't
> use any data - that's stupidly expensive.


Aren't they all the UK companies the same when roaming in the EU? I
haven't found one that is less than the EU capped rate. Of course you
can buy a separate card for each country and save that way, but that's
only worth it if you plan to make lots of calls when abroad. But I
think my cousins are only interested in being able to make voice calls,
so the very different data rates are not at issue here.


--
Clive Page

Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 05-13-2013, 03:20 PM
Brian Mc
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: SIM for visitor to UK?

Gordon Henderson <gordon+usenet@drogon.net> wrote:
: However GG isn't the best rate to use when roaming Europe - I've just
: spent 2 weeks abroad and while I did use my GG sim in the phone, I didn't
: use any data - that's stupidly expensive.

GiffGaff are pretty good when roaming in Europe I think! Certainly on a par
with most other operators - who are all a lot less than a few years ago!

Very high users might need to find a local SIM but it all seems reasonable
for my (limited!) needs.


Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 05-13-2013, 07:02 PM
Woody
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: SIM for visitor to UK?

"Brian Mc" <bkm@somewhere.ac.uk> wrote in message
news:kmr0cd$gml$1@speranza.aioe.org...
> Gordon Henderson <gordon+usenet@drogon.net> wrote:
> : However GG isn't the best rate to use when roaming Europe -
> I've just
> : spent 2 weeks abroad and while I did use my GG sim in the
> phone, I didn't
> : use any data - that's stupidly expensive.
>
> GiffGaff are pretty good when roaming in Europe I think!
> Certainly on a par
> with most other operators - who are all a lot less than a few
> years ago!
>
> Very high users might need to find a local SIM but it all seems
> reasonable
> for my (limited!) needs.
>




If your cousins have smartphones with wi-fi why don't they open a
voip account and put some money on it, download a SIP app such as
Sipdroid or CSipSimple and set it up (dead easy.) When travelling
they just need to go have a coffee in McDonalds (which is usually
good and relatively cheap) and use their free wi-fi.

I've been doing this for a while when we are on hols. Voice
quality is usually very good with only the occasional delay. If
you choose the right provider you can pay as little as 1p/min for
landline home calls (i.e. calls from anywhere in the world to the
country in which the voip account resides) and 2p/min to
landlines in most of the rest of the world.


--
Woody

harrogate three at ntlworld dot com



Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 05-13-2013, 10:07 PM
Clive Page
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: SIM for visitor to UK?

On 13/05/2013 20:02, Woody wrote:
> If your cousins have smartphones with wi-fi why don't they open a
> voip account and put some money on it, download a SIP app such as
> Sipdroid or CSipSimple and set it up (dead easy.) When travelling
> they just need to go have a coffee in McDonalds (which is usually
> good and relatively cheap) and use their free wi-fi.


If you just want to make calls, that's a good plan. The problem comes
when you want to receive them, since your callers won't always know when
you happen to be having a coffee break.


--
Clive Page

Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old 05-14-2013, 06:09 AM
Woody
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: SIM for visitor to UK?

"Clive Page" <usenet@page2.eu> wrote in message
news:avd6heFed0rU2@mid.individual.net...
> On 13/05/2013 20:02, Woody wrote:
>> If your cousins have smartphones with wi-fi why don't they
>> open a
>> voip account and put some money on it, download a SIP app such
>> as
>> Sipdroid or CSipSimple and set it up (dead easy.) When
>> travelling
>> they just need to go have a coffee in McDonalds (which is
>> usually
>> good and relatively cheap) and use their free wi-fi.

>
> If you just want to make calls, that's a good plan. The
> problem comes when you want to receive them, since your callers
> won't always know when you happen to be having a coffee break.
>
>
> --
> Clive Page



No agreed, but most Voip providers (VPs?) do have voicemail
facilities which are not only free to access but also send you an
e-mail often with the message attached as a sound file.

If we need to be contacted urgently (which doesn't happen very
often) we are sent a text which on most SPs is free to receive
wherever you are. It is then up to us to decided how to handle
the issue, either respond by text or find a wi-fi hotspot.

Simples really.


--
Woody

harrogate three at ntlworld dot com



Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old 05-14-2013, 08:34 AM
Roland Perry
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: SIM for visitor to UK?

In message <avd6heFed0rU2@mid.individual.net>, at 23:07:41 on Mon, 13
May 2013, Clive Page <usenet@page2.eu> remarked:
>> If your cousins have smartphones with wi-fi why don't they open a
>> voip account and put some money on it, download a SIP app such as
>> Sipdroid or CSipSimple and set it up (dead easy.) When travelling
>> they just need to go have a coffee in McDonalds (which is usually
>> good and relatively cheap) and use their free wi-fi.

>
>If you just want to make calls, that's a good plan. The problem comes
>when you want to receive them, since your callers won't always know
>when you happen to be having a coffee break.


That's exactly the same problem which same say sank Rabbit (although I
have my doubts it was the main reason) which is that away from the
hot-spots you were uncontactable.

The solution is voicemail, of course. And some VoIP systems do have
voicemail for when you are not "online".

However, you still need to know that there's voicemail waiting, which is
back to the Rabbit issue again. They didn't have voicemail, but the same
company did have pagers, which could have been used to ping people.
--
Roland Perry

Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old 05-16-2013, 06:17 AM
Steve Terry
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: SIM for visitor to UK?

Clive Page wrote:
> On 13/05/2013 11:27, Gordon Henderson wrote:
>> However GG isn't the best rate to use when roaming Europe - I've just
>> spent 2 weeks abroad and while I did use my GG sim in the phone, I
>> didn't use any data - that's stupidly expensive.

>
> Aren't they all the UK companies the same when roaming in the EU?
> I haven't found one that is less than the EU capped rate.

<snip>
>

Nope check out:
http://petef.22web.org/payg.html

Togglemobile e.g. charge 3p France to the UK
http://www.togglemobile.co.uk/home/en

Register upto 9 countries for local rates
https://account.togglemobile.co.uk/login.aspx?lang=en

Steve Terry
--
Get a free GiffGaff PAYG Sim and 5 bonus after activation at:
http://giffgaff.com/orders/affiliate/gfourwwk



Reply With Quote
Reply


« Is there any major downside to Ovivo? | Re: Samsung on BBC Watchdog »
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT. The time now is 10:31 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45