Go Back   Wireless and Wifi Forums > Cellular Communications > Cellular Newsgroups > uk.telecom.mobile
Register FAQ Forum Rules Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Advertise Mark Forums Read

 
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 05-09-2007, 09:11 PM
Tim Dunne
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Tmobile - any good?

Hello folks

Currently on Voda with a Nokia N73, contract ends in a couple of weeks.
I don't phone or text a great deal but like mobile internet. I'm on a 6 quid
extra pack at the moment and use the net with images turned off to save
bandwidth, so I use about 5-7 meg a month.

Voda's new data charges would hit me hard, so despite otherwise decent
customer service and signal strength, I'm off. Orange are out of the
question, o2's data prices look as silly as Voda. I'm considering a Nokia
N95 on Tmobile, any comments on signal strength, customer service, any
pratfalls etc would be welcome.

Thanks in advance,

Tim

--
Sent from Birmingham, UK... Check out www.nervouscyclist.org
'I find sometimes itís easy to be myself, but sometimes I find itís
better to be somebody else.' - Dave Matthews 'So Much To Say'
My 'reply to' address is valid, mail to the posting address is dumped



Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 05-10-2007, 07:34 AM
Beck
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Tmobile - any good?


"Tim Dunne" <Bit_Bucket@Blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
news:gOq0i.16219$Ro3.4866@text.news.blueyonder.co. uk...
> Hello folks
>
> Currently on Voda with a Nokia N73, contract ends in a couple of weeks.
> I don't phone or text a great deal but like mobile internet. I'm on a 6
> quid
> extra pack at the moment and use the net with images turned off to save
> bandwidth, so I use about 5-7 meg a month.
>
> Voda's new data charges would hit me hard, so despite otherwise decent
> customer service and signal strength, I'm off. Orange are out of the
> question, o2's data prices look as silly as Voda. I'm considering a Nokia
> N95 on Tmobile, any comments on signal strength, customer service, any
> pratfalls etc would be welcome.


Well T-mobile data prices are also quite high unless you pay £7.50 a month
for the web n walk. Its very good value for money and you get 1Gb bandwidth.
I have only been using the service for under a month but so far it is good.
I live in a partially rural area and not had any problems with the signal
yet.
Customer service has been good. I emailed them to ask about roaming charges
abroad, they not only replied within the day, they replied with a
human-typed reply, not just an auto cut and paste.
Impressed so far.


Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 05-10-2007, 09:54 AM
Geoff Winkless
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Tmobile - any good?

Beck wrote:

> "Tim Dunne" <Bit_Bucket@Blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
> news:gOq0i.16219$Ro3.4866@text.news.blueyonder.co. uk...
>> Voda's new data charges would hit me hard, so despite otherwise decent
>> customer service and signal strength, I'm off. Orange are out of the
>> question, o2's data prices look as silly as Voda. I'm considering a Nokia
>> N95 on Tmobile, any comments on signal strength, customer service, any
>> pratfalls etc would be welcome.


> I have only been using the service for under a month but so far it is
> good. I live in a partially rural area and not had any problems with the
> signal yet.
> Customer service has been good. I emailed them to ask about roaming
> charges abroad, they not only replied within the day, they replied with
> a human-typed reply, not just an auto cut and paste.
> Impressed so far.


I'd agree with that; the customer service has been the best of all the
networks I've tried - and I've tried them all

The only thing I would say is that my t-mob signal is marginally less
strong than O2 and voda so make sure you use their online signal checker
when you buy - then you can return and cancel within 14 days if the
signal isn't good enough.

Geoff

Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 05-10-2007, 03:32 PM
MagicUK
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Tmobile - any good?

i live in a rural area and t mobile has the best signal and when im driving
round using the internet on my n73 is wicked and always 3g though thats in
south london!
"Geoff Winkless" <usenet-at-geoff-dot-dj@[127.0.0.1]> wrote in message
news:4642ebe0$0$7366$4d4eb98e@read.news.uk.uu.net. ..
> Beck wrote:
>
>> "Tim Dunne" <Bit_Bucket@Blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
>> news:gOq0i.16219$Ro3.4866@text.news.blueyonder.co. uk...
>>> Voda's new data charges would hit me hard, so despite otherwise
>>> decent
>>> customer service and signal strength, I'm off. Orange are out of the
>>> question, o2's data prices look as silly as Voda. I'm considering a
>>> Nokia
>>> N95 on Tmobile, any comments on signal strength, customer service, any
>>> pratfalls etc would be welcome.

>
>> I have only been using the service for under a month but so far it is
>> good. I live in a partially rural area and not had any problems with the
>> signal yet.
>> Customer service has been good. I emailed them to ask about roaming
>> charges abroad, they not only replied within the day, they replied with a
>> human-typed reply, not just an auto cut and paste.
>> Impressed so far.

>
> I'd agree with that; the customer service has been the best of all the
> networks I've tried - and I've tried them all
>
> The only thing I would say is that my t-mob signal is marginally less
> strong than O2 and voda so make sure you use their online signal checker
> when you buy - then you can return and cancel within 14 days if the signal
> isn't good enough.
>
> Geoff




Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 05-10-2007, 05:02 PM
Bruce Horrocks
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Tmobile - any good?

Geoff Winkless wrote:
> Beck wrote:
>
>> "Tim Dunne" <Bit_Bucket@Blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
>> news:gOq0i.16219$Ro3.4866@text.news.blueyonder.co. uk...
>>> Voda's new data charges would hit me hard, so despite otherwise
>>> decent
>>> customer service and signal strength, I'm off. Orange are out of the
>>> question, o2's data prices look as silly as Voda. I'm considering a
>>> Nokia
>>> N95 on Tmobile, any comments on signal strength, customer service, any
>>> pratfalls etc would be welcome.

>
>> I have only been using the service for under a month but so far it is
>> good. I live in a partially rural area and not had any problems with
>> the signal yet.
>> Customer service has been good. I emailed them to ask about roaming
>> charges abroad, they not only replied within the day, they replied
>> with a human-typed reply, not just an auto cut and paste.
>> Impressed so far.

>
> I'd agree with that; the customer service has been the best of all the
> networks I've tried - and I've tried them all
>
> The only thing I would say is that my t-mob signal is marginally less
> strong than O2 and voda so make sure you use their online signal checker
> when you buy - then you can return and cancel within 14 days if the
> signal isn't good enough.


Just to add that the N95 is a phone that really benefits from web 'n'
walk because then you don't have to worry about cost when downloading
maps for the GPS navigation, or uploading photos to sites like Flickr etc.

Signal has been fine for me but YMMV of course.

Regards,
--
Bruce Horrocks
Surrey
England
(bruce at scorecrow dot com)

Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 05-10-2007, 05:30 PM
Sam
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Tmobile - any good?

On Wed, 09 May 2007 21:11:40 GMT, "Tim Dunne"
<Bit_Bucket@Blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

>Hello folks
>
> Currently on Voda with a Nokia N73, contract ends in a couple of weeks.
>I don't phone or text a great deal but like mobile internet. I'm on a 6 quid
>extra pack at the moment and use the net with images turned off to save
>bandwidth, so I use about 5-7 meg a month.
>
> Voda's new data charges would hit me hard, so despite otherwise decent
>customer service and signal strength, I'm off. Orange are out of the
>question, o2's data prices look as silly as Voda. I'm considering a Nokia
>N95 on Tmobile, any comments on signal strength, customer service, any
>pratfalls etc would be welcome.


T-Mobile (Virgin) in south brum is very patchy for me, I can have full
signal indicated one second then nothing at all.

Have no signal downstairs at my house and one bar upstairs next to a
window on 2.5g, never picked up their 3g signal here.

Their street check site states I should be getting 4 bar very good
2.5g coverage and 3 bar good 3g coverage.

I only use my Virgin SIM as backup to my o2 contract thankfully.

My advice would be assuming your N73 is unlocked or you have access to
a unlocked handset would be to order a free T-Mobile PAYG SIM from
their website and try it out in your usual places before committing to
a contract because IIRC T-Mobile don't do 14 day returns.

Sam.

Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 05-10-2007, 07:54 PM
Tim Dunne
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Tmobile - any good?

"Tim Dunne" <Bit_Bucket@Blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
news:gOq0i.16219$Ro3.4866@text.news.blueyonder.co. uk
> Hello folks
>
> Currently on Voda with a Nokia N73, contract ends in a couple of
> weeks. I don't phone or text a great deal but like mobile internet.
> I'm on a 6 quid extra pack at the moment and use the net with images
> turned off to save bandwidth, so I use about 5-7 meg a month.


Thanks for the help, guys, but today, something has put me off Tmobile.

I went into the Tmobile shop in Corporation Street in Birmingham City
centre - I popped in the day before to get the bumf. I spoke to an advisor
calling himself 'Mo', who quoted a price for the phone at the 37.50 tariff I
wanted for 18 months - about what I expected. He then told me I could get
the deal cheaper by getting the phone free on the 63.50 tariff and then
dropping to the tariff I wanted after six months. He jotted all this down,
but more than a tad suspicious, I left to think about it.

Reading Tmobile's T&C they state that 'they *may* let you move to a cheaper
tariff at 11 months' which looks to me like the guy was trying to con me for
the comission... after all, once I'd left the shop, he'd have the dough and
any attempt to say I'd been conned would be denied.

Was he right or was it all hokum? He was convinced I could change tariffs at
6 months but it sounds like bull to me...

Is a Tmobile shop the best place to go anyway?

Tim

--
Sent from Birmingham, UK... Check out www.nervouscyclist.org
'I find sometimes itís easy to be myself, but sometimes I find itís
better to be somebody else.' - Dave Matthews 'So Much To Say'
My 'reply to' address is valid, mail to the posting address is dumped



Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 05-11-2007, 05:41 PM
Woof
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Tmobile - any good?

On Thu, 10 May 2007 19:54:20 GMT, "Tim Dunne"
<Bit_Bucket@Blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:


>Was he right or was it all hokum? He was convinced I could change tariffs at
>6 months but it sounds like bull to me...


He was probably thinking of a 12-month contract which you can change
after 6 months.


>Is a Tmobile shop the best place to go anyway?


Not if you want their web-only deals

--
Posted via a free Usenet account from http://www.teranews.com


Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 05-27-2007, 04:51 PM
Poldie
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Tmobile - any good?

On May 10, 8:54 pm, "Tim Dunne" <Bit_Buc...@Blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
> Was he right or was it all hokum? He was convinced I could change tariffs at
> 6 months but it sounds like bull to me...


You could have asked him to put it in writing, signed, on t-mobile
paper. That way, even if he's wrong you can still hold them to it.

> Is aTmobileshop the best place to go anyway?


I used to go to the branches, but they seem happy posting me the
phones these days.


Reply With Quote
Reply


« Logitech mobile pro headset for nokia 6233?? | Free BEER! »
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Re: getting good range .. - ditching USB wireless adaptor. What PCI one? Jeff Liebermann alt.internet.wireless 5 05-07-2007 06:19 PM
Anyone on Tmobile in Florida? Good Coverage? Mike alt.cellular.verizon 1 02-17-2007 12:44 PM
Who makes GOOD inexpensive computer power supplies? Daniel Prince alt.comp.hardware 23 12-08-2006 09:56 PM
good urls for PDAs? dmartin@newarts.com alt.cellular.cingular 2 12-05-2006 07:55 PM
Re: Is this graphics card any good? GrimJack808 alt.comp.hardware 0 08-20-2006 08:13 AM


All times are GMT. The time now is 04:25 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45