Go Back   Wireless and Wifi Forums > Cellular Communications > Cellular Newsgroups > uk.telecom.mobile
Register FAQ Forum Rules Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Advertise Mark Forums Read

 
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 02-19-2009, 02:16 AM
Davide Trani
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default What's required to buy a sim card?

Is my id card required? Can a friend (visiting uk) buy it for me?


Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 02-19-2009, 07:53 AM
Robert Jones
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: What's required to buy a sim card?

In article <499ccf1d$0$11376$5fc30a8@news.tiscali.it>, Davide Trani
<no@spam.com> wrote:

> Is my id card required? Can a friend (visiting uk) buy it for me?
>


Here in the UK *ALL* that is required is money!

Unlike most/all countries on "mainland" Europe, we do not have ID cards
(yet!) and therefore cannot produce them. No proof of ID whatsoever is
needed to buy a PAYG SIM card or handset.

It's different for contract SIMs, but the need for positive
identification there is about the credit agreement, not the SIM.

Bob Jones

--
Robert S. Jones, I.T. Security Consultant | Vox +44 20 7882 5326
Computing Services, Mile End Campus | Fax +44 20 8980 2001
Queen Mary, University of London, U.K. | GSM +44 79 56 383659

Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 02-19-2009, 08:32 AM
Lobster
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: What's required to buy a sim card?

Robert Jones wrote:
> In article <499ccf1d$0$11376$5fc30a8@news.tiscali.it>, Davide Trani
> <no@spam.com> wrote:
>
>> Is my id card required? Can a friend (visiting uk) buy it for me?
>>

>
> Here in the UK *ALL* that is required is money!


Not even that - it's pretty hard to actually have to pay for a PAYG sim
these days. eg:
<http://www.t-mobile.co.uk/shop/free-pay-as-you-go-sim-cards/>
<http://shop.orange.co.uk/shop/simevent/searchfreesim?WT.mc_id=ConFreGeAdd_0984&WT.srch=1>

David

Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 02-19-2009, 08:56 AM
J B
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: What's required to buy a sim card?

"Robert Jones" <R.S.Jones@qmul.ac.uk> wrote in message
news:190220090853504756%R.S.Jones@qmul.ac.uk...
>
> Here in the UK *ALL* that is required is money!


Surely a telephone to put it in is needed?

;-)


--
J B


Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 02-19-2009, 09:48 AM
JHF
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: What's required to buy a sim card?


"Robert Jones" <R.S.Jones@qmul.ac.uk> wrote in message
news:190220090853504756%R.S.Jones@qmul.ac.uk...
> In article <499ccf1d$0$11376$5fc30a8@news.tiscali.it>, Davide Trani
> <no@spam.com> wrote:
>
> > Is my id card required? Can a friend (visiting uk) buy it for me?
> >

>
> Here in the UK *ALL* that is required is money!
>
> Unlike most/all countries on "mainland" Europe, we do not have ID cards
> (yet!) and therefore cannot produce them. No proof of ID whatsoever is
> needed to buy a PAYG SIM card or handset.
>
> It's different for contract SIMs, but the need for positive
> identification there is about the credit agreement, not the SIM.


Well recently I went into a 3 shop and bought 2x PAYG phones. They insisted
that they were both activated before I left the store and they used my name
and address and credit card to activate both of them. I bought one as a
present for my sister, but they were both registered in my name. They
wouldn't let me have them until they were both registered and activated.




Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 02-19-2009, 10:28 AM
ChrisM
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: What's required to buy a sim card?

In message gnjddq$7d5$1@news.motzarella.org,
JHF <privateaddress@534668769.net> Proclaimed from the tallest tower:

> "Robert Jones" <R.S.Jones@qmul.ac.uk> wrote in message
> news:190220090853504756%R.S.Jones@qmul.ac.uk...
>> In article <499ccf1d$0$11376$5fc30a8@news.tiscali.it>, Davide Trani
>> <no@spam.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Is my id card required? Can a friend (visiting uk) buy it for me?
>>>

>>
>> Here in the UK *ALL* that is required is money!
>>
>> Unlike most/all countries on "mainland" Europe, we do not have ID
>> cards (yet!) and therefore cannot produce them. No proof of ID
>> whatsoever is needed to buy a PAYG SIM card or handset.
>>
>> It's different for contract SIMs, but the need for positive
>> identification there is about the credit agreement, not the SIM.

>
> Well recently I went into a 3 shop and bought 2x PAYG phones. They
> insisted that they were both activated before I left the store and
> they used my name and address and credit card to activate both of
> them. I bought one as a present for my sister, but they were both
> registered in my name. They wouldn't let me have them until they
> were both registered and activated.


CreditCard?? Did they charge you to activate them, or just use the
creditcard as a form of ID?

--
Regards,
Chris.
(Remove Elvis's shoes to email me)



Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 02-19-2009, 11:19 AM
Steve Terry
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: What's required to buy a sim card?

"Lobster" <davidlobsterpot601@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:4H9nl.10263$dm3.6468@newsfe27.ams2...
> Robert Jones wrote:
>> In article <499ccf1d$0$11376$5fc30a8@news.tiscali.it>, Davide Trani
>> <no@spam.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Is my id card required? Can a friend (visiting uk) buy it for me?

>>
>> Here in the UK *ALL* that is required is money!

>
> Not even that - it's pretty hard to actually have to pay for a PAYG sim
> these days. eg:
> <http://www.t-mobile.co.uk/shop/free-pay-as-you-go-sim-cards/>
> <http://shop.orange.co.uk/shop/simevent/searchfreesim?WT.mc_id=ConFreGeAdd_0984&WT.srch=1>
>
>

http://www.freesimcards.info/

will keep you up to date with latest free sims

Steve Terry



Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 02-19-2009, 11:22 AM
Steve Terry
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: What's required to buy a sim card?


"JHF" <privateaddress@534668769.net> wrote in message
news:gnjddq$7d5$1@news.motzarella.org...
> "Robert Jones" <R.S.Jones@qmul.ac.uk> wrote in message
> news:190220090853504756%R.S.Jones@qmul.ac.uk...
>> In article <499ccf1d$0$11376$5fc30a8@news.tiscali.it>, Davide Trani
>> <no@spam.com> wrote:
>>
>> > Is my id card required? Can a friend (visiting uk) buy it for me?

>>
>> Here in the UK *ALL* that is required is money!
>>
>> Unlike most/all countries on "mainland" Europe, we do not have ID cards
>> (yet!) and therefore cannot produce them. No proof of ID whatsoever is
>> needed to buy a PAYG SIM card or handset.
>>
>> It's different for contract SIMs, but the need for positive
>> identification there is about the credit agreement, not the SIM.

>
> Well recently I went into a 3 shop and bought 2x PAYG phones. They
> insisted
> that they were both activated before I left the store and they used my
> name
> and address and credit card to activate both of them. I bought one as a
> present for my sister, but they were both registered in my name. They
> wouldn't let me have them until they were both registered and activated.
>
>

Three put some subsidy on their PAYG phones and the dealers want to be sure
of getting their subsidy payment which they could loose if the phone isn't
registered

Steve Terry



Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 02-23-2009, 10:21 AM
RF Burns®
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: What's required to buy a sim card?

Nothing required to by a mobile phone or sim card at the moment, however as
usual the government are looking to change that.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle4969312.ece



Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 02-23-2009, 03:04 PM
Peter Thomas
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: What's required to buy a sim card?

On Thu, 19 Feb 2009 09:56:00 -0000, "J B" <jb@invalid.com> wrote:

>"Robert Jones" <R.S.Jones@qmul.ac.uk> wrote in message
>news:190220090853504756%R.S.Jones@qmul.ac.uk...
>>
>> Here in the UK *ALL* that is required is money!

>
>Surely a telephone to put it in is needed?
>
>;-)


The question was what was needed to purchase a SIM card - you don't
need a phone to do that :-)

Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old 02-23-2009, 05:21 PM
J B
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: What's required to buy a sim card?

"Peter Thomas" <peter.thomas@brightchro.me.uk> wrote in message
news:l8i5q4po4u979sfni7oure0cslajiano6s@4ax.com...
> On Thu, 19 Feb 2009 09:56:00 -0000, "J B" <jb@invalid.com> wrote:
>>"Robert Jones" <R.S.Jones@qmul.ac.uk> wrote in message
>>news:190220090853504756%R.S.Jones@qmul.ac.uk.. .
>>>
>>> Here in the UK *ALL* that is required is money!

>>
>>Surely a telephone to put it in is needed?
>>
>>;-)

>
> The question was what was needed to purchase a SIM card - you don't
> need a phone to do that :-)


Touché!


--
J B


Reply With Quote
Reply


« O2 Prepay Roaming and MMS charges.. | BBC programme seeks working mobiles from the mid 90s »
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
(weird) Power Supply failure, reason? Average User alt.comp.hardware 8 06-12-2008 08:42 PM
write endurance - solid state flash drives, windows xp, virtualmemory jameshanley39@yahoo.co.uk alt.comp.hardware 10 06-05-2008 04:40 AM
Can I replace my Nvidia Geforce 2 mx 200 with a new matrox milleniumG550? HDI alt.comp.hardware 22 04-23-2008 07:23 AM
Need Advice with upgrading to AGP Video Card Chris alt.comp.hardware 13 07-13-2007 11:42 PM
PCI card backplate dimensions Dan Lenski alt.comp.hardware 5 12-22-2006 03:27 AM


All times are GMT. The time now is 07:39 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45